Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 19, 2024, 11:24:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Depression = 72% of members
Take the test, read about the implications, and check out the remedies.
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Supplements and Bpd  (Read 911 times)
Bpdsupporter

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« on: June 03, 2016, 08:10:16 AM »

Hey all! So my pwBPD was doing some research and began taking the amino acid L-Tryptophan. It's an amino acid that converts to serotonin in the brain. It's primarily used for anxiety depression insomnia etc. So he went to the health food store and bought a bottle. Within a day his mood was significantly more calming and he seemed to not be so foggy and blurry. And he told me he felt amazing better and clear headed.

I've personally been taking St John's wort and Inositol (vitimin B8) for depression and anxiety. And I must say it really works. I haven't had any side effects and I think it plays a big part in keeping my own emotions regulated when my pwBPD dyregulates.

Also one of the first posts I put on here was the benefits of good health in improving your relationship with your pwBPD. I'll copy it at the end of this post.

Anyway I wanted to know if anyone else has experienced positive changes in their relationship by changing their health or using natural supplements to improve emotional dysregulation for themselves and their partner.

These changes coupled with dbt and interpersonal skills have significantly improved mine. Would love to hear from.anyone else if their partner has used L-Tryptophan or anything else and did their pwBPD feel better.or worse? Thanks!

I discovered this message board because I was so discouraged confused and felt alone in my relationship with my BPD mate. I was even more discouraged to read article after article that emphasis the turmoil and heartache that comes with dealing with this mental illness. This actually made me very angry at times. Where was the encouragement, where was the advice on how to support my loved on who is going through so much pain.

So my quest began... .and I must say that my relationship with my mate has improved tremendously because I had to change.

So I wanted to talk about changing my diet and self care. Most people change their diet to loose weight but if you are in a relationship with a BPD your gonna have to eat foods  and research supplement s that promote optimum mental health. And exercise.

Here are a few things that have helped me.

1. The five Tibetan Rites

Look it up on YouTube and Google. These five sacred moves promote an overwhelming sense of well being. They also make you look really good. It's often called the fountain of youth. They will give you more energy too. Your gonna need alot of energy when dealing with you BPD!

2.I take Inositol (viatimin B8). It really helps with anxiety and is a natural mood stabilizer. No side effects for me. But of course with anything check with you Dr. Also passionflower is great too. Calming teas like camamile should be on regular supply in your kitchen. Also try St John's wort for mild depression

3. Foods rich in omega fatty acids will help with your mental health. Fish, avacados, research this for sure!

4.Pumpkin seeds, figs, banannas. Keep these on deck!

5.Macca Powder is amaaaazing! It's expensive but this special root was used by Inca warriors before battles and gave them strength and increased acumen for battle.  I make a macca shake with penut butter almond milk honey and banana. It's yummy and gives alot if strength!

6.Ginger... .I eat a piece of raw ginger every morning with honey. Gets the digestive system going and has loads of other benefits. Research this.

This is just a short list... I'm sure there are more foods supplements and exercises that help promote good mental health.

Oh I highly encourage you to direct your BPD to change change their diet too. If you can. My BPD was actually the one who told me about most of these things. He says they help him alot. He always has a bag of pumpkin seeds on him Laugh out loud (click to insert in post). He loves them.

Also no drugs alcohol or caffeine tabacci. I know it's hard but if you are going to be in a relationship with a BPD your gonna have to be as sober as possible. If your struggling seek AA and professional help. Giving up marijuana was hard for me I used it alot to diffuse many of the trials I went through with my BPD. Its not good though in the end and led to more anxiety and emotional confusion which would lead to more smoking. So I highly encourage you to be sober! Your gonna need alot of strength physically to deal with your BPD.

I'd love to hear more from y'all too. If there are other foods and e exercises you have used to help your mental and emotional health.

Peace!

RELATIONSHIP PROBLEM SOLVING
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members are welcomed to express frustration but must seek constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

JWstillhoping

« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2016, 08:02:40 PM »

My partner has been taking supplements the past week, and it's made a big difference in his anxiety levels. His anger doesn't escalate as much either. He is taking 5-htp & some herbal relaxant blend along with St Johns Wort. It doesn't get rid of his disordered thinking, but he also is more clear headed and aware. I wonder if the relief of symptoms will continue long term... .I sure hope so for all of us Smiling (click to insert in post)
waverider
Retired Staff

Relationship status: married 8 yrs, together 16yrs

If YOU don't change, things will stay the same

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2016, 06:48:23 PM »

Its always hard with BPD as often the positive physical reactions are often countered by psychological responses eg... A bit works, so a lot is better. An improvement becomes an essential need, through to improvement cant be felt anymore (as its the new norm) so its seen as not working, so they give it up reinforcing the attitude that "nothing works'

Chasing the next quick fix pill has been my wife's livelong burden, that actually gets in the way of getting on with life and the bigger picture.

In short the slight benefit is overwhelmed by obsession and misuse of most "boosters" whether natural or otherwise. A little improvement is never enough.

Reality is shared and open to debate, feelings are individual and real
isilme

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent
Relationship status: Married

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2017, 10:03:41 AM »

This is really interesting.  The most I've found as of yet is that H seems to be not-quite-hypoglycemic - his blood sugar drops rapidly if he does not eat decent food at regular intervals.  I figured the quality of food would impact his overall feeling of well-being, but I never made the leap that something greasy/horrible for him may make him just as volatile as if he'd not eaten at all.  

"If he eats an allergic food, his mood is the first thing to go"

I'm going to need to start logging this better, and see what correlations I can find.

Healthy88

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2017, 02:11:26 PM »

Hypoglycemia if u look it up can cause mood swings, irritability, anger, depression & anxiety, etc so eating healthy & every 2 hrs becomes important. Low vit D is sometimes connected with hypoglycemia & definitely depression, as well as lactose intolerance. Probiotics r huge, esp if u have had an appendectomy & can no longer balance this naturally. I finally discovered Kefir milk (way more than any oral probiotics) & fermented veggies, teas, etc. If u have Celiac's disease &/or other autoimmune conditions than more than likely u have MTHFR gene mutations and can't synthesize synthetic folic acid correctly. It is all connected btwn immune system, gut & brain.

Healthy88

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2017, 01:35:50 PM »

An interesting article regarding Hypoglycemia:

www.umm.edu/health/medical/altmed/condition/hypoglycemia
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest