Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 18, 2024, 08:08:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Experts share their discoveries [video]
Caretaking - What is it all about?
Margalis Fjelstad, PhD
Blame - why we do it?
Brené Brown, PhD
Family dynamics matter.
Alan Fruzzetti, PhD
A perspective on BPD
Ivan Spielberg, PhD
Poll
Question: Which of you were the one that decided to leave/end your relationship (last recycle if applicable)?  (Voting closed: August 11, 2016, 12:15:45 PM )
You - 14 (45.2%)
They - 13 (41.9%)
Both - 1 (3.2%)
I am not sure - 3 (9.7%)
Total Voters: 29

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Who left your relationship?  (Read 377 times)
joeramabeme

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: In process of divorcing

« on: August 01, 2016, 12:15:45 PM »

Over the last year I have told my exuBPDw divorce story to a number of people that, without solicitation, came to the conclusion that I was the one who left the marriage, as much as she did. 

I find this to be an irreconcilable inconsistency with how I have the story clearly painted in my mind.  Yet, multiple unrelated people have had this similar response. 

She was the one that literally said she wants a divorce, then moved out, got a new place and declined requests for reconciliation on multiple occasions.  So I still have some confusion as to why anyone would indicate that I was the "leaver".

In my heart I believe she absolutely ended it by orchestrating a no-win situation and then shutting me off before realizing a solution to the problems.   Yet, in my mind I know that I got really sick and tired of it all and there were times I just wanted to leave and likely acted in accordance with that.

So, I was curious to hear how you were answering this question for yourself and if you were uncertain about who was the person that ended it all? 

MY ANSWER TO THE POLL:
For me, since I have shifted a few times on the response, I would have to rank the answers as to which ones I pick my most frequently:   Laugh out loud (click to insert in post) - I am not making this up!   Laugh out loud (click to insert in post) Laugh out loud (click to insert in post)

Here is the ranking of how I have most frequently replied to this question (ranking includes how I responded to my own internal dialogue):
2, 4, 3 and 1
vortex of confusion

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2016, 06:19:13 PM »

My response was "I am not sure".

Technically, I am the one that asked him to leave. After almost 18 years of marriage, I had enough and told him to leave.

Prior to him leaving, I had checked out of the relationship. He had checked out way before that and refused to admit it. I can't tell you when I checked out. I think it was probably some time around the 15 year mark when I tried to ask him for help. I told him that I needed him to be more present and available for me and the kids. That fell on deaf ears. Some other stuff happened and his solution, after 15 friggin' years of marriage and 4 kids was, "Let's see other people. You can have a boyfriend if you want."

If I hadn't asked him to leave, he would still be there. He started an SA program and kept telling me to give it a year. I think it ended up being two or three years of him telling me that I was too demanding and asking too much and pretty much telling me that he was doing the best he could. Outside observers were telling me that I wasn't demanding enough and had the bar set so low that he could pretty much trip over it. Needless to say, when I express guilt or doubt about ending things, I am told that I wasn't really given much choice.

In some ways, I wonder if he was ever really in the relationship. At times, it feels like I was having a relationship with myself. If I could have found a way to be okay with things, we would still be together. He would still be perfectly content to let me take care of him and everything else. In that regard, I am the one that left. I got tired and just couldn't do it any more.
Turkish
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Other
Relationship status: "Divorced"/abandoned by SO in Feb 2013; Mother with BPD, PTSD, Depression and Anxiety: RIP in 2021.

Dad to my wolf pack

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2016, 09:55:01 PM »

Over the last year I have told my exuBPDw divorce story to a number of people that, without solicitation, came to the conclusion that I was the one who left the marriage, as much as she did.  

Do these people explain why they think that?

Though there was a huge external trigger in her FOO which resulted in her behaving more oddly and lashing out at her mom (traits I had not seen the previous 5 years),  truthfully,  I was sick and tired of being put down,  told I wasn't a man,  and the like.  So I did do what she later accused me of to justify her cheating: I withdrew emotionally.  That isn't healthy in a "normal" r/s, and it's like setting off a neutron bomb for someone with borderline traits who needs constant validation and has intense fears of abandonment.  It imploded in far less than a year,  though the signs were there in retrospect soon after D4 was born.

Sure,  I blame her for her actions,  but I can understand her feelings.  That was always a problem.  I understood her very well, but I refused to meet her where she was at after we had a second kid,  and her self-absorption at the expense of her loved ones (especially the kids) disgusted me.  

“For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.” ― Rudyard Kipling
drained1996

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2016, 11:03:58 PM »

I ended mine numerous times... .of course she did to, but I was star light white within no time everytime. 
It was me, certainly not her.  Mine is clear cut, though it took several years... .and even now lingers for her I would think. 
joeramabeme

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: In process of divorcing

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2016, 06:11:40 PM »

Do these people explain why they think that?

Hi Turkish

One of the people that brought this up to me was an ex T.  I asked for an explanation as to why he thought that and I couldn't get a straight answer.  The best I can understand it is that I filed the divorce paperwork.  I only did that as she was insisting that I pack up and leave with just "my" stuff; she did not see it as "our" stuff so I felt compelled to take action, particularly when she said no to multiple reconciliation requests.

Though there was a huge external trigger in her FOO which resulted in her behaving more oddly and lashing out at her mom (traits I had not seen the previous 5 years),  truthfully,  I was sick and tired of being put down,  told I wasn't a man,  and the like. So I did do what she later accused me of to justify her cheating: I withdrew emotionally.   That isn't healthy in a "normal" r/s, and it's like setting off a neutron bomb for someone with borderline traits who needs constant validation and has intense fears of abandonment.  It imploded in far less than a year,  though the signs were there in retrospect soon after D4 was born.

I relate to exactly what you say above.  I was sick and tired of being verbally bashed and gaslighted and all the petty fighting about matters that were, on the whole, insignificant.  7 months post divorce and I am still struggling and coming to terms with this as most of these things now seem as if they were of no real significance to her.  I am simply amazed at how these "problems" that lead to all this verbal abuse were not problems at all, rather, they were really outlets for her to vent off steam from her own internal discomforts. 

I still catch myself doing things in a certain way that she would want them done with her voice playing in my head as I try to get it right to please her.  And sadly, while I had no problems with trying to please her, though apparently I failed at that, she was never really wanting to be pleased.  I guess this is what is so frequently talked about here; the illusion of our relationships.

Sure,  I blame her for her actions,  but I can understand her feelings.  That was always a problem.  I understood her very well, but I refused to meet her where she was at after we had a second kid,  and her self-absorption at the expense of her loved ones (especially the kids) disgusted me. 

Yes again!  I understand her very well.  And I really had no problem with trying to meet her wherever she stood, but, she would never stay in one place any longer than just enough to state she was unhappy there and then shift again.  We did not have children but tried.  I was unable to adopt with her because I just felt something wasn't right, even though at the time I could not articulate what that was.  Admittedly I have a tremendous amount of guilt about all of that.  Not just for her and the dreams she had but for my own and knowing this was likely a last chance effort.

I really relate to all you wrote, thanks.

JRB
Lonely_Astro

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2016, 02:28:52 PM »

I answered "you" because, technically and officially, I did.

But, there's a back story (of course).  She began my discard in October of 15. I held on and tried to improve the R/s until mid December 2015. I found out she had been on a couple of dates with a guy. That was the nail for me. She half attempted to reconcile but I said no.
Infern0

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2016, 07:00:53 PM »

I made her end it because I didn't have the strength to do it myself so I started acting out until she left.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest