Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 23, 2024, 01:26:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
How would a child understand?
Shame, a Powerful, Painful and Potentially Dangerous Emotion
Was Part of Your Childhood Deprived by Emotional Incest?
Have Your Parents Put You at Risk for Psychopathology
Resentment: Maybe She Was Doing the...
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Coping / preventing issues for my kids  (Read 501 times)
Overseas1899

« on: August 06, 2016, 11:20:57 PM »

How do I help my children cope with the behaviour of their dad (my uBPDh)?  I want to prevent as much baggage or negative stuff as possible. I would leave my h but I don't think it is fair to have my kids with him 50% of the time and I am very certain his behaviour would worsen. I just want to do the right thing for my kids. Thoughts?
Kwamina
Retired Staff

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent

« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2016, 07:42:07 AM »

Hi Overseas1899

This definitely is a difficult situation to be in. Raising children with an uBPD husband can be very challenging. Are your children aware of the fact that their dad has certain issues?

How would you describe the relationship your husband has with your children? How does he treat your children?

Though you are still married to him, there are several great resources on the Co-Parenting board that can also be helpful in your situation:
Raising Resilient Kids When a Parent Has BPD

I hope this is of some help to you.

Take care

Oh, give me liberty! For even were paradise my prison, still I should long to leap the crystal walls.
Overseas1899

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2016, 09:24:39 PM »

Thank you for the suggestions Kwamina.

The kids are aware that their father has a problem with getting far more angry than the situation calls for. For years it was always directed at our son. I always stepped in but I was always, and still am, concerned about what happens when I am not there.  My husband is a lot better though. After a rage aimed at our son when he was ten, I made an appointment with a psychologist. She commented that it may be Bpd. I had never thought of a mental illness before. Didn't know anything about this Bpd world. Got uBPDh in to see a psychiatrist and now he takes a mood stabilizing med. I used to ask him if he had his meds when we would travel or at different times. After a while the kids asked me what his meds were for so I told them. I am very careful not to put him down or talk badly about him. I also feel that I need to, age appropriately, make the kids aware of their dad's inappropriate anger and behaviour.  They see it. Later, I talk with them about it.
He appears to have a good relationship with the kids. He is very involved and present. I hear him whisper to them a lot so don't know what that is about. A little strange to me. now that our son is taller than him, he doesn't rage at him.
Our daughter often feels sorry for him and he encourages it. For example, if we are going somewhere (eg my family reunion), he won't come and as we are leaving, he will say doesn't anyone want to stay home with Dad?  Then the kids will feel sorry for him and when we leave they will comment that they feel sorry for him. I don't want our daughter marrying someone similar
Woolspinner2000
Retired Staff

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent
Relationship status: Divorced

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2016, 08:12:06 PM »

Hi Overseas 1899,

I think it's great that you have a grasp of the mental illness your DH may have. Not only is this going to help you in your marriage relationship , but it will also help you as you parent your children. My mom was an uBPD, and there are similar issues with DH that encourage me to put into practice things that I wish I had seen while a child at home. Had my dad told me that I was not the problem, it could've made such a difference in my life. You have the chance to be the stable parent for them, and kudos to you for being aware.  Doing the right thing (click to insert in post)

Excerpt
I hear him whisper to them a lot so don't know what that is about.
Our daughter often feels sorry for him and he encourages it.

Do you think that the whispering and his asking for them to feel sorry for him could be a form of emotional enmeshment as he tries to draw them in?

Wools

There are far, far better things ahead than any we leave behind.  -C.S. Lewis
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest