Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
March 28, 2024, 10:44:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Experts share their discoveries [video]
Caretaking - What is it all about?
Margalis Fjelstad, PhD
Blame - why we do it?
Brené Brown, PhD
Family dynamics matter.
Alan Fruzzetti, PhD
A perspective on BPD
Ivan Spielberg, PhD
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How to respond to allegations of cheating?  (Read 1274 times)
Trygvasson

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« on: September 26, 2016, 01:21:26 AM »

Hi,

My wife, who I love dearly, I suspect got BPD.
Among other she trusts here feelings strongly and without doubt. Over and over again she say that she feel that I dont love her (which I do and which I try to show as often as I can) I on the other hand have tried what seems to be everything (tips from this page, books, therapist for me etc) to help/adapt. Its very hard.

A couple of days ago, she learned that the husband of a friend of hers of had been cheating and had been been lieing about it.
My wife tells me that she now "has seen the light" about a situation a long time ago and that we, when Im back from my work trip, need to have a really serious conversation.

I am suddenly therefor very afraid that she now might suspect me of having / have had an affair. This is as far from reality as it can get, and I cannot even think of reasons why she might suspect it. But as most of us on this forum knows, when a person with BPD feels something, they feel it strongly and they are very certain they are correct.

My question is what should I do/say if my wife suddenly is very certain that Ive been cheating? What should I not do/say?

To me, it seems like "validation" is the wrong thing to do, and at the same time strongly denying will only put gasoline on the fire.

PLEASE - NO RUN MESSAGES
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members may appear frustrated but they are here for constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

Notwendy

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent

« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2016, 07:06:07 AM »

Welcome to this board. This is a really uncomfortable situation to be in, but I think the lessons on the side of this board about validation and not to JADE are very helpful.

For someone with BPD, feelings can feel the same as fact. I think probably everyone considers how they would feel if their partner was cheating but are able to put those feelings into perspective and use facts to decide if that was or was not the case. However, someone with BPD can take the step from feeling straight to fact- if I feel it, then it must be true.

People with BPD also have poor boundaries- they may not know what is their feelings and what is someone else's. Surely her friend is very upset and it probably upset your wife to witness her friends' feelings. It probably made her feel sad as well, for her friend, and those feelings took the giant leap to assuming that you cheated too.

PwBPD can have strong feelings and accuse people of being the source of them. I think we can validate the feeling, but not the fact.

Also, avoid JADE. We may have the tendency to defend what isn't true- to try to soothe our partner's feelings- but we don't have to manage their feelings for them. That is their responsibility. It is also ours to manage our own feelings of discomfort when accused of something like cheating. But defending yourself is in a way, buying into the ideas- as if there is something to defend but there isn't.

What if your wife accused you of being a pink elephant? Would you spend a lot of time trying to convince her that you were not a pink elephant, or would you simply know, with certainty, that you are not one. I think we can take that same approach with accusations.

So wife says " I realized that you have been cheating" . Can you remain calm and not defensive, but validate her fear " Gosh honey, it must feel terrible to think that" . Let her get her feelings out. She might say all kinds of things, but if you can listen, validate the feeling, and not react, it may blow over faster than if you make it into a longer conversation.

I've been accused of cheating. Before I understood the issues, I was devastated. I even felt shame that my H accused me of this. I had poor boundaries and was co-dependent. But even so, the accusations made no logical sense.  I recall the long circular arguments, trying to JADE, convince him that I didn't cheat, and all that did was escalate the issue.

My own way of handling this is that something like cheating would be between me and my higher power, or God, or your conscience, or even your self esteem. Cheating would diminish me- and how I felt about myself. So, if I am certain that I am not cheating, and God is certain, than being accused does not change that. If my higher power knows me, then there is no need to JADE. Having boundaries is important. Knowing what is me, and what is not me is crucial. It is uncomfortable to be accused of cheating, but if I am personally certain that I am not a cheater, it feels similar to being called a pink elephant. I don't react, but I can respond with compassion for how painful it must feel to think that your spouse did that. That is just a feeling, so allowing for the feeling to be expressed, without invalidating it by defense, anger,  or an emotional response, might just let it pass quicker.
foodlover

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2016, 08:44:53 AM »

Excerpt
What if your wife accused you of being a pink elephant? Would you spend a lot of time trying to convince her that you were not a pink elephant, or would you simply know, with certainty, that you are not one. I think we can take that same approach with accusations.

This sounds great in theory but in reality I think we may all fight this fight under the right circumstances. In my case the conversation would go something like this.

Her: WOW I cant believe your actually a pink elephant. Your not the man I married. Your not even a man. Your disgusting. I cant be here. I cant do this. I need to leave as soon as I can. I cant take this anymore. Then she would begin to pack her bags, Call friends and family and ask to come stay with them. Then she would leave for maybe days without answering any calls or messages before she comes back randomly and says... .I know your a pink elephant but I love you. Now try to stop being a pink elephant. I need you to change your disgusting ways.

All this time I would worry sick of what she was doing. Is she cheating on me as revenge? To punish me? What is she doing? It would make me so sick id throw up. And If I ask it blows up into an argument and I get called insecure.

Its not what she believes that causes me to Jade. Its what SHE DOES when she believes this that causes me to Jade. In a way Im desperately trying to stop her from abandoning me. Ironic right? I'm trying to keep the BPD from abandoning me all because she believes I abandoned her. So messed up.
Notwendy

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2016, 08:53:25 AM »

It makes sense to want to JADE.

The problem is, that it didn't seem to work. If my H believed I was cheating, no amount of logic or JADE could change that. I can't control what he believes, or does or says. To JADE is to try to control.

It isn't that to JADE is wrong, but it doesn't work and seems to perpetuate the discussions. Considering how much we JADE, we should have enough evidence to show it doesn't work. I wish it did but it didn't.

Sometimes finding what works better can be trial and error, but the lessons here help.

It isn't just about being right, but relating better with different ways to relate.

Someone can call me a pink elephant, go on a rant, tell the whole world I am one, and even possibly not want to be with me because I am a pink elephant, but I have no control over that.

You are right, we JADE for our own feelings, but it is possible that when we let the other person make choices, he or she may let the feelings subside. Or they may leave, but that is always their choice and I don't think JADEing could stop that.

foodlover

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2016, 09:48:35 AM »

When your wife thinks you cheated and she wants to punish you is it really the right thing to do to just sit there and let her do whatever she wants? I understand its control but people with BPD have a strong need to "get back at you" or "right the wrong" and when they believe you cheated they want to cheat back to settle the score. Even if you didn't they believe you did. All of these allegations and then disappearing for days with no record of what she did makes me highly suspicious. She has even told me before that she was going to find a guy. Later she just says "I was angry and said things I didn't mean" but how can you really believe someone who doesn't know how to tell the truth and will say and do anything they have to just to get what they want. I have often wandered if the allegations of cheating are just an excuse to go out and cheat herself. She often wants me to give her a log of everything I do hour by hour and if I miss telling her something she assumes its cheating. However she disappears for days and refuses to be accountable for anything. She just says she needed time. What does this mean? If I push to find out more she rages. Its like saying how dare you question me. I am the questioner and do not allow questions.

Im tired of being in abused and being told to be understanding and validating. Its almost like people here are advocating Stockholm syndrome.

I want to make things better, NOT reinforce this bad behavior. Im tired of playing the good guy. For once I want to just be the strong one and give her a reason to fear acting this way. I want her to fear losing me and act healthy. But its not the way it is. She fears losing me and pushes me away? Makes no sense.
foodlover

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2016, 10:02:59 AM »

Actually what people here really say is that she fears losing me so she abuses me. That's what is so hard to understand. Are we really so sure that they are scared? It seems like my SO enjoys causing pain. She smiles and laughs at my pain. She has the look of pleasure.
livednlearned
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Family other
Relationship status: Married

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2016, 11:07:09 AM »

To me, it seems like "validation" is the wrong thing to do, and at the same time strongly denying will only put gasoline on the fire.

There is a similar dynamic with parents who have adult BPD children that blame them for abuse.

If you dwell on the accusation, like you say, you add gas to fire. It's ok to say, "I have said all there is to say about this." And move on. Or something more along the lines of SET. "Trusting others is hard, and scary. It takes courage. I feel that way, it's normal. I have said all I have to say, there is nothing to add."

She may dysregulate and throw insults and whatnot. You have said your peace and verbally stated a boundary, and the rest is managing the fall out in a way that you take care of yourself.

Breathe.
Wrongturn1

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic Partner

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2016, 11:53:41 AM »

I can relate to this one as I'm often accused of cheating... .in fact, I predict that I'm about 7 hours away from the next accusation. 

I can see all the writing on the wall:  I'm in the middle of 3 weeks in a row of weeks that contain an overnight work trip for me; my uBPDw has been drinking more than usual; my uBPDw's codependent mom and NPD dad just visited this weekend, which usually emotionally strains her to the breaking point; uBPDw has not been exercising lately, which seems to feed into her insecurities; uBPDw is in the middle of a job transition that is stressing her out; I hurt my back while working on a home landscaping project over the weekend, which made me not very cheerful or talkative over the weekend; and uBPDw was starting to get accusatory and dysregulated on the phone this morning.  So I am expecting a barrage of accusations this evening after work.

My game plan is to avoid JADE, and just say something along the lines of: "No, I'm not cheating on you.  That must be awful to feel like your husband is cheating on you.  If I felt like you were cheating on me, I would probably feel very hurt, abandoned, and angry.  I'm on your side, and I care about you very much."  If she persists, I'm prepared to point out that these accusations are abusive and walk away.  I'll try to remember to report back about how things go tonight.  Looking forward to this evening... .not! 
CrazyChuck

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2016, 08:56:57 AM »

When mine thought I was cheating, (I didn't respond at all to her unfounded allegations) she cheated. And then when I proved I was not cheating. She said it was my fault she cheated. She still gets mad at me for causing her to cheat. She said she didn't want to do it.

So I now make sure all her allegations are satisfied as quickly as possible.
Wrongturn1

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2016, 08:58:16 AM »

I can relate to this one as I'm often accused of cheating... .in fact, I predict that I'm about 7 hours away from the next accusation. 

Well I'm happy to report back that I was wrong yesterday - I didn't get any accusations from uBPDw last night.   Smiling (click to insert in post)

She asked me to go on a walk with her after dinner, which I agreed to do.  Before we left, I made sure to bring my wallet and phone in case I needed to leave in the middle of the walk and catch an Uber to a hotel if she melted down and started to become abusive toward me.  Realizing that things might go badly, I made sure to validate like crazy what a horrible day she had at work and how irritating her parents are to her.  After that she seemed to calm down and relax - she never started slinging accusations and never became abusive.

I was glad the accusations and abuse didn't happen, and I was also glad I was prepared to walk away from abuse if it had started.  So a good night overall really.
Wrongturn1

« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2016, 09:06:20 AM »

She still gets mad at me for causing her to cheat. She said she didn't want to do it.

Holy cats, Chuck, that's absurd to the point of humorous (I probably wouldn't see it that way if it happened to me)!  What a truly ridiculous justification by your BPD SO.  

Instead of you trying to satisfy all of her accusations as soon as possible to prevent her from cheating again, I suggest that a healthier course of action would be for you to implement a boundary of "I refuse to cheat or be cheated on in a relationship".  If your BPD SO accuses you, tell her no you're not cheating but don't go to lengths to prove the unprovable negative; if she cheats on you in response to that, you end the relationship.
CrazyChuck

« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2016, 09:27:26 AM »

She still gets mad at me for causing her to cheat. She said she didn't want to do it.

Holy cats, Chuck, that's absurd to the point of humorous (I probably wouldn't see it that way if it happened to me)!  What a truly ridiculous justification by your BPD SO.  

Instead of you trying to satisfy all of her accusations as soon as possible to prevent her from cheating again, I suggest that a healthier course of action would be for you to implement a boundary of "I refuse to cheat or be cheated on in a relationship".  If your BPD SO accuses you, tell her no you're not cheating but don't go to lengths to prove the unprovable negative; if she cheats on you in response to that, you end the relationship.

It was many years ago. But it is still fresh on my mind. And I make sure she knows I'm not cheating.
foodlover

« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2016, 10:24:45 AM »

Excerpt
It was many years ago. But it is still fresh on my mind. And I make sure she knows I'm not cheating.

Chuck. This is so sad. I imagine this has caused some major trauma in your life. I don't even know how she could blame you for her cheating. And still accuse you of cheating. Its pure projection.
QBert

« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2016, 02:25:36 PM »

Excerpt
Her: WOW I cant believe your actually a pink elephant. Your not the man I married. Your not even a man. Your disgusting. I cant be here. I cant do this. I need to leave as soon as I can. I cant take this anymore. Then she would begin to pack her bags, Call friends and family and ask to come stay with them. Then she would leave for maybe days without answering any calls or messages before she comes back randomly and says... .I know your a pink elephant but I love you. Now try to stop being a pink elephant. I need you to change your disgusting ways.

Smiling (click to insert in post) Laugh out loud (click to insert in post)

Wow -- that line seemed way too real to me I had to laugh.  I'm pretty sure I've heard something like that before.  I don't mean to laugh about your plight, but to laugh at how familiar that is to me.
foodlover

« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2016, 03:32:48 PM »

Excerpt
Wow -- that line seemed way too real to me I had to laugh.  I'm pretty sure I've heard something like that before.  I don't mean to laugh about your plight, but to laugh at how familiar that is to me.

Its sad but true. I mean its insane the kinds of things she comes up with and absolutely believes them. Like I said before. Its not what she accuses me of that upsets me and makes me so frantic. Its what she does. If she says "your a pink elephant" and just sits on the couch and watches TV id probably laugh it off. But the fact that she tries to get back at me or in a way punish me for this thing she thinks I did is what bothers me so bad. Its the fact that she just goes no contact, disappears, tells me horrible things she might do, threatens to break up or puts down my name to those close to her. Then the ultimate disguard where I have no idea what she is doing. Maybe its my own insecurity but I worry about what if she cheats. What if she is so emotional she finds someone else. And I bet everyone is thinking why stay with someone like that? Well how can I know if she is cheating or not? Maybe she isn't? But she does a good job of making me feel so worthless and worry about her. I know she knows how much it bothers me. She wants me to feel the way she feels and she goes so far to accomplish it. She thinks im going to cheat if I stop by the grocery store. Maybe screw someone in the bathroom or the frozen food section. She thinks that if she feels that pain she wants me to feel it 10 times worse and its totally ok. I see a lot on here... ."if she is angry let her be angry" but it doesn't go like "if she wants to cheat let her cheat". "If she wants to slander your name to everyone let her slander your name". I cant handle her cheating. I cant but the problem is I don't now but she shoves it in my face purposely trying to make me worry about her. If I knew she was just spending time with friends and letting off steam that would be fine. But I don't. I cant even talk about it with her because she shoves it in my face that I defended myself for being on the phone with my business partner when she tried to call so now she doesn't have to tell me what she did or where she went for 2 days. I would love to say that I shouldn't put up with it but its my own fault. I always forget when the love bombing comes back. When she idealizes again. When she puts me on a pedestal and makes me feel like a king.
QBert

« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2016, 09:17:05 AM »

Excerpt

Its sad but true. I mean its insane the kinds of things she comes up with and absolutely believes them. Like I said before. Its not what she accuses me of that upsets me and makes me so frantic. Its what she does. If she says "your a pink elephant" and just sits on the couch and watches TV id probably laugh it off. But the fact that she tries to get back at me or in a way punish me for this thing she thinks I did is what bothers me so bad. Its the fact that she just goes no contact, disappears, tells me horrible things she might do, threatens to break up or puts down my name to those close to her. Then the ultimate disguard where I have no idea what she is doing. Maybe its my own insecurity but I worry about what if she cheats. What if she is so emotional she finds someone else. And I bet everyone is thinking why stay with someone like that? Well how can I know if she is cheating or not? Maybe she isn't? But she does a good job of making me feel so worthless and worry about her. I know she knows how much it bothers me. She wants me to feel the way she feels and she goes so far to accomplish it. She thinks im going to cheat if I stop by the grocery store. Maybe screw someone in the bathroom or the frozen food section. She thinks that if she feels that pain she wants me to feel it 10 times worse and its totally ok. I see a lot on here... ."if she is angry let her be angry" but it doesn't go like "if she wants to cheat let her cheat". "If she wants to slander your name to everyone let her slander your name". I cant handle her cheating. I cant but the problem is I don't now but she shoves it in my face purposely trying to make me worry about her. If I knew she was just spending time with friends and letting off steam that would be fine. But I don't. I cant even talk about it with her because she shoves it in my face that I defended myself for being on the phone with my business partner when she tried to call so now she doesn't have to tell me what she did or where she went for 2 days. I would love to say that I shouldn't put up with it but its my own fault. I always forget when the love bombing comes back. When she idealizes again. When she puts me on a pedestal and makes me feel like a king.

A few things in your post stand out to me.  Let me talk about them a bit.

1. Take ownership of your feelings.  I know it's hard... .and it sounds a bit new agy, but only you can control your feelings  I get that she may do certain things with the hope that it will stir up an emotion in you.  I watch my son do the same type of crap with my daughter (both under 10).  She does it to him to.  We tell them to stop trolling one another.  She's trying to "Trigger" you -- so recognize it, analyze how you respond and what may be a better way to respond to those emotional triggers.  Do this when you're not in the middle of an emotional frenzy -- then practice your responses.

Regarding the possibility of her going and cheating and slandering you, I think this is a great chance to practice boundaries with your loved one.  Sit down and think about what some boundaries may be and communicate them.  Communicate what you will do if she breaks those boundaries -- then follow through.  Make sure the consequence is something you're willing to do. If you tell her that you are going to leave if she cheats on you, then you need to be willing to do that.  I'd not do this when she's trying to troll you and telling you she will cheat -- I'd do it at a calmer time.  These pages may help you set and communicate boundaries/limits:

https://bpdfamily.com/content/setting-boundaries
https://www.BPDcentral.com/help-for-families/beyond-blame-system/step-4

Has she told you that she will cheat on you or ever cheated?  If she hasn't told you that she will cheat, then coming up with a boundary about it out of the blue may seem accusatory.

IK hope my thoughts have helped.
CrazyChuck

« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2016, 10:58:25 AM »

I would love to say that I shouldn't put up with it but its my own fault. I always forget when the love bombing comes back. When she idealizes again. When she puts me on a pedestal and makes me feel like a king.

This probably describes most of us here. I know it is a perfect description of me.
Trygvasson

« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2016, 01:48:41 PM »

Hi,

I would like to thank the people who contributed in this post!

I relly like the mindset of "the pink elephant", it is very true that that can be applied here.

At the same time the mindset of whatever happen only I myself know the truth and that that truth is between myself and a God. If I know If not done anything wrong I should not doubt that no matter what my suspected BPD wife wight think.

Thank you
jrharvey

« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2016, 02:47:33 PM »

Hi,

I would like to thank the people who contributed in this post!

I relly like the mindset of "the pink elephant", it is very true that that can be applied here.

At the same time the mindset of whatever happen only I myself know the truth and that that truth is between myself and a God. If I know If not done anything wrong I should not doubt that no matter what my suspected BPD wife wight think.

Thank you

One thing that was very hard for me was to not try and clean up the messes she makes. Just like a parent teaching their child you just cant fix everything they break. If she chooses to come up with a crazy story about you cheating and you make an effort to show her the truth and she still accuses and refuses to believe you then what follows is on her. She has begun to break down the relationship and may even do and say things to harm the relationship. At that point it will hurt deeply when you try to clean up the mess while she is still making more of a mess.

Its so hard to do but sometimes you just have to step back and let them destroy. Then when the rage is done and there is all this destruction just let things be. Its her mess to clean up. If she chooses not to EVER then at that point it becomes a decision to accept living in the mess or get yourself out. For me when I took steps back and watched her destroy things she always made the effort to put things back together. So I am thankful for that.
Sullivan
Fewer than 3 Posts

Relationship status: divorce

« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2022, 05:20:30 AM »

When she/he is pointing out every tiny imperfection in the relationship, she/he might be looking for grounds to break up to be with someone else, It could be because she/he doesn't want romantic messages from another to get discovered. Any sort of sneaky behavior like this is a sign, It is not so typical of me to refer to professionals online but I feel like I owe a lot to my hacksecrete@gmail.com who helped me track my cheating husband when he was having an affair, I got to find out that he has been lying to me for the past 5 months and seeing two other women. I was able to get direct access to his text messages, phone conversations and all social networks on his phone remotely : what was most amazing was that his recently deleted messages were retrieved by him. If you are getting less than you deserve in your relationship and want to be sure , there is no crime in that you can also call or text +1 (617) 402-2260 . tell him i referred you
Pjessica
Fewer than 3 Posts

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Inlaw
Relationship status: Single

« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2022, 02:56:21 PM »

I truly recommend cyberlord582@gmail.com call or text +1 (518) 468-2985 is not deceit and I need everyone to find their luck spying their partner with this hacker.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest