Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
May 23, 2017, 07:41:41 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Help us stay on the air! Donate here
  Directory Guidelines Glossary   Boards   Help Please Donate Login Register  
Is your child's well being important?... Conflict has a high cost to the parents and a higher cost to the child. The cost to a child is security, self-esteem, confidence, emotional control, happiness, normal personality development, and a range of other considerations. You have the power to stop the conflict on your end.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 ... 6  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I believe I have reached my exhaustion point  (Read 577 times)
Skip
Site Director

Person in your life: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2017, 02:41:01 PM »

Oncebitten, strong.

Right now you are in emotional dysregulation yourself. Like the intoxicated man who can't walk the white line, you can't clearly lay out two paragraphs - her reasonable narrative and your reasoned narrative. You are so completely focused on your narrative and so dismissive of hers, how can this go anywhere but down hill?  If you need proof, look at the 100 conversations you have had.

If you want to make this better, you have to self sooth and get to baseline.

The narrative you have written above is not her position at all. It doesn't mention the lie (s). Surely that is at the core of this. I don't know what your narrative is but it seems like part it is "I haven't lied in __ weeks" this problem is over. As I said earlier, this is conflict is feeding on itself.

I can't really give you any specific thoughts because you are not being clear on what the opposing positions really are... so I can only make general comments.

Every time you counter her accusation that she lost trust because you lied with your narrative, you are invalidating her. When she says you behaved badly, let her say her piece and then say you appreciate her sharing and want to think about it and wait for her to shift the conversation or end it. Be ok with that.

Every time she goes into meltdown, stop and listen to her. If she get abusive, ask her to be respectful and you will listen. If she won't ask if you can pick up the conversation the next day.  There is only so many words that can be said about what happened, let her get them out.

Don't swarm her when she dysregulates. Give her space. If she goes silent, let her go silent. Silence is ok. She will self sooth. She will return to baseline. She will call back. That might take a few days... be ok with it.

Validate the valid and qualify.  If she says you are a liar. Yes, I lied about A & B. I'm ashamed. I understand why this upsets you. If she says you tried to replace her, I did get involved with x just like you got involved with y - its upsets me, I know it upsets you too. If I tried to replace you I'd be with her, right. If she argues, don't counter. If you are speaking the truth she will eventually self sooth and see your point.

You will do better to back off, be OK with ambiguity, take responsibility, know when to retreat, do not give her a bat to beat you with, and give her space to self-sooth and return to baseline.

That's an approximate formula - with more details on the narrative and other members input, you can shape it much better.

You probably want to deal with this almost the opposite of the way are pursuing it. That has a much higher likelihood of success.

It will also help to consider that trust problems with people who have issues sometime can't be resolved. The best you can do right now is to create an environment where she can start working through her deep resentments on this issue.  It's not the surface skirmish that you have that causes the problem, its that they surface skirmishes are triggering the underlying resent of being lied to.

Do you want to see this play out in reverse? Read this members file. Watch how the boyfriend plays it (denying her wound) and how she systematically responds (constructive and first, then bichy, then not constructively, then destructively) and how the relationship falls apart. You are on this path... get off.
https://BPDfamily.com/message_board/index.php?action=profile;u=63476

2017 Fund Drive
Help us stay on the air. We are working hard to pay off the debt incurred in 2016 to recover from a cyber-attack and to harden our site against future attacks. We are three quarters of the way.
We have many volunteers here. We thank them all. It takes more than just volunteer time to run a site like this. It takes money. But not a lot, if we all chip in.
37<2/font>
Oncebitten
`

« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2017, 03:00:58 PM »

skip

you are right...i am so frustrated to her bc I cant get out of those circular arguments..I try and she just keeps firing all barrels...we acctually ended up talking today and essentially it came down to the fact that I cant just listen without being defensive...and she is right
Skip
Site Director

« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2017, 03:10:08 PM »

For your sake and hers, will you make a commitment to learn the tools and study human behavior so that you can have a chance of making your relationship work. You will only get so many miscues before its unrecoverable. You can't depend on her to be the emotional leader.

Why not take another run at describing the two opposing narratives. Its so much smarter to do these things in times of calm.

I going to move this to improving and ask that you stay there and not board hop when you hit a down time.

Doing the right thing

Oncebitten
`

« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2017, 03:39:51 PM »

Skip

yes I will make the commitment. my fear is that I may have run out of miscues.

I will not board hop...
Skip
Site Director

« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2017, 03:43:49 PM »

Skip, yes I will make the commitment. my fear is that I may have run out of miscues. I will not board hop...

Oncebitten, be strong. The football game isn't over. Don't lose your head. Be cool. That's how champions roll.

Do the narratives. Get this started in the background - don't wait for the next crisis.

Nothing changes without changes. Let's do it.

KateCat

« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2017, 06:30:40 PM »

Quote from: SamwizeGamgee link=topic =304230.msg12835837#msg12835837 date=1484154251
I'm married 19 years.  And it has been two years since enlightenment about BPD - and the watershed event that was - it was like getting paroled, no, exonerated.

There is a forum member with the name of "Exonerated." (Interestingly, his screen name before that was "On_Parole.") His marital story spans a full 40 years, several U.S. states, and two hemispheres, as he is "down under" now.

"Exonerated" has not been active here for a number of years, but I think he would offer you encouragement, Samwize.

Oncebitten, you listen to Skip!  grin

Oncebitten
`

« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2017, 06:38:08 PM »

Katecat

I intend to...thank you for the support I know skip is right...I have to get this right on my end or it will never work
michel71

« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2017, 07:42:25 PM »

Once bitten...I just wanted to reach out to give you some support. I completely understand what you are going through and how difficult it is to use the tools especially when. like you said, the BPD is firing "all barrels". It becomes quite overwhelming when the profanity starts, they don't take a breath, they don't give you time to get a word in edgewise. I have sat for what seems like several life times listening to her, trying to validate her. There are times when I have agreed with her and she argues that I am agreeing with her.

I think Skip is right. Sometimes you just gotta take a break even as much as you want to keep trying to make your point, get the BPD to understand ( yeah good luck with that) where you are coming from. It is important for us to get back to baseline as well.

I signed myself up for a knock down, drag out BPD style "discussion" today. And stuck around ( well, stayed on the phone) far too long. And what did I get? A nice A** whipping, feeling battered and bruised emotionally. Pretty much ruined my day. I am home licking my wounds now and on this Board to get back to baseline.

Stay strong my friend.
Oncebitten
`

« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2017, 08:47:34 PM »

michel

Hey I am right there with you...I always stay on too long for the knock down drag outs...this might sound stupid but always did it bc I thought that was what she wanted...she pretty much said as much. But she hates thats we never resolve anything when we fight now...which is true...it starts, and she attacks...I do my best to validate, and some times I valudate the invalid...which makes it worse...my worda get twisted and used against me...or if I pause and try to choose my words carefully I get accused of thinking of a lie
Skip
Site Director

« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2017, 09:14:32 PM »

it starts, and she attacks...I do my best to validate, and some times I valudate the invalid...which makes it worse...my worda get twisted and used against me...or if I pause and try to choose my words carefully I get accused of thinking of a lie

Once', you know there are article and posts about extinction bursts and impulsivity her - when a person with BPD goes into dysregulation, the best thing is to do is buy time. Time allows for her to self-sooth and return to baseline and since moods are so impulsive, the very thing that bothers her has a good chance of just going away. In a long distance relationship you have many tools to do this. Jumping in with full combat gear is crazy is like throwing gas on a fire.

I know you have little regard for the tools or learning the psychology - but it is your only chance to not get consumed by her ebbs and flows.

Someone posted this earlier. Listen to her discussion of how her moods shift.

Found an informative story of a BPD sufferer done quite well check out the link.
https://youtu.be/TeZn3kLXpyo hope some newbies to leaving board will find this helpful.

Date: Nov-2016Minutes: 33:54

Living With BPD  | Personal vBlog

2017 Financial Sponsors
Thank you. We are all appreciative of the thoughtful and responsible men and women who provide the support, education, and brotherhood to keep BPDFamily on the air and make a difference in the lives and families of many. To all, thank you for this wonderful resource.
12years
ackybreaky
Aiming4Kindness
akv
Aletheia
alf
allienoah
Anez
anothercasualty
antony_james
apocalypsenow
ArleighBurke
At_Bay
Aussieman
Avi
Axial
azbubba
babyducks
baconeggs
Barny1705
bearhunter
berry
bestintentions
bigredneck
bigsis
blackstone
Bob
bpdmom99
brahmin
braveSun
BritishDad
bunny4523
busybee1116
Calm Waters
Caroled
Cat Familiar
cdizzle
cherisw
chobers
Chosen
chump
cj488
cjames
Clearmind
cleotokos
Cmjo
Cole
Confused1234
confusedhubby
Conundrum
coworkerfriend
cricket
Crushedbyac
Curiously1
Darsha500
dealingwithit
DearBFF
Deb
doubleAries
DoxieLover
drained1996
DreamGirl
duncsvoice
Dutched
earlgrey
earlyL
Englishheart
Eye438
F150
Fian
Fie
FinallyItsTime
Finding Courage
Findingmysong723
flubber767
FlyFish
foggydew
foogarden
Foolishwizdom
ForeverDad
Fr4nz
Frank88
Free One
fromheeltoheal
Gables
Gagrl
Gema
gettingoverit
Gift to myself
gloveman
Gorges
gotbushels
half-life
HappyChappy
Harmless
HarposGal
Harri
havana
Healthy88
heartandmind
heartandwhole
Herodias
Homefree
HopefulDad
HopefulPapaOf2
img001
incadove
InIndia
inwardliberation
its_rosie
JaneStorm
Japeslee
jasmine-1234
jellibeans
Jellycat3
JerryRG
jo19854
joeramabeme
JohnSmith2016
JonnyKrunch
Joyinmotion
JulesC
junebug1929
KansasDad
kc sunshine
Keep
kentavr3
kiddfei
kim peter
Klera
knowingmyself
Kowalski
Kwamina
Kyanite
laker
Larmoyant
Leaf
Learning Fast
letgogirl
Lifewriter16
LilMe
little doggy
ost_in_translation
love4meNOTu
lovenature
lovestogarden
lucylou
luter
malibu4x
maple
Mars22
maryy16
mavis
maxen
Me-Time
meanlittleface
Meili
Memorial Donation
mggt
micWel
Mimmo
mitatsu
Mommyx3
Mother-in-law
MP2
mscj
Mutt
Naughty Nibbler
nevaeh
NewChick33
newlyhopeful
ninjacat
Nope
NorthernGirl
Oakridge
Octy
onelittleladybug
ortac77
ou81201370
P.F.Change
PaGuy
Panda39
patientandclear
PaulaJeanne
PDQuick
Pedros28
Penumbra66
Phoenix
PhoenixJade
Pilate
Pilpel
PinkieV
Pipedreamer25
pr0gressnotperfecti0n
Pretty Woman
Prim808
puppyA
Purged
Qcarolr
Quama
RAPIDclassic1
Rapt Reader
Raul
RDMercer55
Recycle
rfriesen
Ridingthewaves
Riguez
Roselee
RunningWithScissors
Ryno
rzr14
Sad4mydad
Sadly
samanthal
samuell
SamwizeGamgee
sanemom
schwing
SCM
Scrabble
seeperplexed
SES
sidra36
SilentObserver
Skip
Slipping
Sluggo
Someday . . .
Soniab72
Sophia77
StandingTall
steelwork
stellaris
stimpy
Stjarna
stockholmama
supermum
Survived
swampped
SweetCharlotte
sweetheart
T2H
takingandsending
Tattered Heart
tbddbt
TBirdy
Tea Fish
The Teacher
Theo41
TheraminFlick
thisagain
TigerEye
Tippy
TommyBahama
trappeddad
TruthLover
trytrytry
Turkish
ugghh
UndauntedDad
VitaminC
volumetwo
wag the dog
waverider
wchi
wellwellwell
wendydarling
WhatJustHappened?
Whichwayisup
whirlpoollife
whitebackatcha
WhoMe51
william3693
winston72
WitzEndWife
Woolspinner2000
worn_out
yaffle
yamada
Yaryar87
zaqsert

Pay it forward Here

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 ... 6  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Study the thought patterns and inclinations of a BPD spouse, girlfriend, or boyfriend. Learn relationship building and learn communication skills and strategies for personal growth.

Welcome
READ BEFORE POSTING
Make your first post

Take the pledge
Tell us your story

Perspective Articles
The big picture
Is it BPD?
What does it take to make it?

What is the first step?
[Basic Tools]
Wisemind
Ending Conflict
Listen with Empathy
Don't be Invalidating
Setting Boundaries

Lessons

1 Understanding your partner’s behaviors.

2 Understanding your role in the relationship.

3 Tools: communication validation, and reinforcement of good behavior.

4 Surviving  confrontation and disrespect.

5 Finding inner strength and hope.

6 When everything else fails.

Workshops
Participate Here

Frequently asked questions
... about BPD.
... about using the board.