Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 20, 2024, 09:41:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Experts share their discoveries [video]
Caretaking - What is it all about?
Margalis Fjelstad, PhD
Blame - why we do it?
Brené Brown, PhD
Family dynamics matter.
Alan Fruzzetti, PhD
A perspective on BPD
Ivan Spielberg, PhD
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: PTSD and BPD  (Read 421 times)
473harman

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Child
Relationship status: Married

« on: January 28, 2017, 09:01:27 AM »

My 16 yo DD has been in residential for several months now (first DBT, now residential boarding school). During this time, she has revealed several past trauma incidents  and she seems to more meet the criteria for PTSD than BPD. The school hasn't changed their treatment dramatically, they are working on the trauma as needed, as well as all they were working on previously. My question is - what is the relationship between the two? She definitely suffered from anxiety, depression and was self injuring before the trauma occurred. So did that trigger the BPD? She is trying very hard and making progress, I'm just trying to figure out the relationship between the two. 
Our objective is to better understand the struggles our child faces and to learn the skills to improve our relationship and provide a supportive environment and also improve on our own emotional responses, attitudes and effectiveness as a family leaders
Lollypop

« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2017, 02:51:02 AM »

Hi there 473harman

I couldn't visit the board and leave without posting back to you.

I'm so pleased that your daughter is getting the therapy she needs and is progressing. It's heartening to hear and I wanted to thank you for sharing this with us here. My BPDs doesn't seek treatment and, at 26, I often wonder if he ever will and it's very frustrating.

Excerpt
she definitely suffered from anxiety, depression and was self injuring before the trauma occurred. So did that trigger the BPD]

I'm interested to know how old was your daughter when you noticed these signs?

My BPDs always was "difficult" and I now know this was his anxiety throughout his childhood, depression came in his teens. So I think the long term anxiety and me not being emotionally available to him brought on the BPD. PTSD was suggested at 19 and diagnosis of BPD at 24.

It's just so complicated and I understand you trying to unravel it and get a better understanding.

Fortunately, my family is in a better place now with the better communication and validation skills learnt here. We have a much better relationship and have found a way forward despite the problems.

How long is your daughters placement and how are your visits going?

L

I did my best. He told me I wasn’t good enough. White
heartandwhole
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2017, 03:14:28 AM »

Hi 473harman,

So glad to hear that your daughter is in treatment. You ask a great question. The seeming overlap between PTSD and BPD can be confusing; the symptoms can be so similar.

I'm no professional, but I think stress/trauma can escalate symptoms of BPD. Then again, trauma in and of itself has its own path of recurring symptoms. Tough to separate sometimes.

I found this informational thread very helpful in untangling the two diagnoses.

DIFFERENCES/COMORBIDITY : PTSD and BPD

Hope it helps!

heartandwhole

When the pain of love increases your joy, roses and lilies fill the garden of your soul.
473harman

Relationship status: Married

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2017, 01:58:06 PM »

Thanks Lollypop and heartandwhole
She's in therapeutic boarding - so technically it can be till she's 18, or we're hoping toward the end of this summer - they recommend 12 - 18 months and it will be about 12 months in the summer (not including the inpatient DBT)
Our visits are good and our weekly calls as well
She knows why she is there and as much as she'd rather be home she understands it is necessary.

I will take a look at the link now.

Yepanotherone

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2017, 09:51:48 PM »

Hi there 473   another 16 year old BPD DD here and going through the absolute ringer !  Do you mind sharing what RTC and therapeutic boarding school your DD  attends ? I may well be heading down that route with my daughter and I'm finding that most facilities seem to be more on the east side of the States , at least certainly for adolescents . I'm in Colorado

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest