Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 23, 2024, 05:28:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Our abuse recovery guide
Survivor to Thriver | Free download.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Scapegoat & Golden Child switched?  (Read 559 times)
dogwasher

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent

« on: February 26, 2017, 09:53:26 PM »

Hi everyone,

Since the idea that my mother might/probably is borderline has only recently occurred to me (I thought it was all in my head), I have been doing a lot of researching.

In a book I read and countless other places on the internet, there seems to be the mention of an all-good/golden child and a no-good/scapegoat child.  I feel like this is confusing me because until I was 16 my mother acted terribly to me.  It was truly a witch-mother situation most of the time, and I was utterly depressed, etc.  When I had completely given up on resisting her efforts and trudged through every day counting the hours until I could sleep, I suddenly became her favorite child. 

Before I was 16 and was miserable from many things including being dumped by my first boyfriend, I was absolutely hated and my younger sister was the golden child.  After that happened, I was the favorite child in every way possible, even after moving out of state for college and then graduating college years later.

So when I read the descriptions of the golden child and how the golden child grew up, etc., none of it makes sense.  I have tried finding information on if the good and bad child could possibly switch places, but I have really found nothing at all and I'm extremely confused.

Is it even possible for siblings to switch places after such long periods of time?  It was never by week or month, it was only after I was 16.

My mother is nowhere near as cruel to my sister now as she was to me then, but it is clear my mother picks fights with her for no reason. 

I'm concerned that this could all mean she isn't even borderline and I'm just being sensitive.  Does anyone have an idea or know if it is possible for the siblings to switch places for seemingly no reason?  All the thanks in the world in advance.
Naughty Nibbler

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Sibling

« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2017, 11:26:27 PM »

Hey Dogwasher   

The link below should be helpful

BPD Behaviors Splitting:
https://bpdfamily.com/message_board/index.php?topic=62033.0

There seems to be some variations in regard to splitting. It's interesting that you and your sister traded situations. You say you believe the switch occurred for no good reason. You and your sister might think about some possible logic. Perhaps something  your sister did made your mom angry.  It could have been something relatively minor that your mom blew out of proportion. It could even be over something that wasn't done. 

I think you are still dealing with a BPD trait. Read the article and let us know what you think.

dogwasher

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2017, 09:11:44 PM »

Hey Dogwasher   

The link below should be helpful

BPD Behaviors Splitting:
https://bpdfamily.com/message_board/index.php?topic=62033.0

There seems to be some variations in regard to splitting. It's interesting that you and your sister traded situations. You say you believe the switch occurred for no good reason. You and your sister might think about some possible logic. Perhaps something  your sister did made your mom angry.  It could have been something relatively minor that your mom blew out of proportion. It could even be over something that wasn't done. 

I think you are still dealing with a BPD trait. Read the article and let us know what you think.

Thank you for your replies! I'll look that over. You're very helpful! Smiling (click to insert in post)
Turkish
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Other
Relationship status: "Divorced"/abandoned by SO in Feb 2013; Mother with BPD, PTSD, Depression and Anxiety: RIP in 2021.

Dad to my wolf pack

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2017, 11:52:33 PM »

Perhaps it's because you grew up and boundaries were naturally established.  It sounds like a similar dynamic is playing out with your sis due to proximity and accessibility.  BPD or not (clinically) the behaviors still hurt.

Looking back,  how do you see that she was a witch-mother?

“For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.” ― Rudyard Kipling
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest