Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 23, 2024, 04:23:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Before you can make things better, you have to stop making them worse... Have you considered that being critical, judgmental, or invalidating toward the other parent, no matter what she or he just did will only make matters worse? Someone has to be do something. This means finding the motivation to stop making things worse, learning how to interrupt your own negative responses, body language, facial expressions, voice tone, and learning how to inhibit your urges to do things that you later realize are contributing to the tensions.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Divorcing a BPD partner who has left  (Read 349 times)
Poppy1000
Fewer than 3 Posts

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« on: March 08, 2017, 09:59:39 PM »

My story: I was married for nearly forty years. From the very beginning, my spouse subjected me to intermittent verbal and emotional abuse and bouts of intense anger, interspersed with love and affection. It keeps you off balance. He was unfaithful on several occasions, couldn't hold down permanent jobs for long and was highly intelligent, very well spoken and charming when he wished to be. I knew very little about the signs and symptoms of NPD or BPD - I believed he had been emotionally damaged because of an abusive childhood and had anger management issues. I tried over the decades to persuade him to seek professional advice, but he always refused to do so. Approximately two years ago he proposed to me that we stay married but be free to each pursue our own lives, the implication being have other relationships. I was utterly appalled and rejected such a notion. I did not know that at the time, he had already gotten involved with a woman who accepts completely abusive behaviour from him. Subsequently he used a document with my forged signature to try to steal a large sum of money from our accounts (he failed in this), then revealed his new relationship and has now left me for her and initiated divorce proceedings. I was extremely upset as it came as a complete shock, but I accepted he had a right to leave - he kept saying how happy he was! I have told him quite clearly I will have nothing further to do with him in the future because I can now see he is a complete moral vacuum. Currently he utters the most fantastic and blatant lies without any shame. However, while I'm fully cooperating to finalise the divorce, he appears to be doing everything he can to delay, take me to court whenever he can, maximise the money I have to pay for legal expenses and unnecessarily drag out a matter that should be resolved fairly easily. Are there any explanations for this behaviour? What am I to expect in the months ahead?
heartandwhole
Retired Staff

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2017, 03:13:57 AM »

Hi Poppy1000,

Welcome

I'm sorry to hear about your divorce. That is so difficult, especially finding out about your partner's infidelity. I'm glad you reached out, because you've found a place that will support you through this.  

That has to be very upsetting to deal with delays and extra legal actions when you are cooperating so fully. What does your lawyer say about it? Is there a motion that can be filed that would curb your partner's ability to drag this out?

I encourage you to have a look at the Family Law, Divorce, and Custody Board as well, as members there also have experience with divorcing someone with BPD/NPD.

Do you have supportive friend and/or other family, Poppy? It is so important to rally as much support around you as possible. These kinds of breakups can take a big toll on us.

Keep posting and let us know how we can best support you.

heartandwhole

When the pain of love increases your joy, roses and lilies fill the garden of your soul.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest