Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 23, 2024, 12:14:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Things we can't afford to ignore
Depression: Stop Being Tortured by Your Own Thoughts
Surviving a Break-up when Your Partner has BPD
My Definition of Love. I have Borderline Personality Disorder.
Codependency and Codependent Relationships
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: healing after break up  (Read 697 times)
healing36
Fewer than 3 Posts

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« on: June 16, 2017, 12:41:56 PM »

Hi there,

I'm grateful to have found this site. The info is super helpful- so I want to say THANK YOU!

Thanks in advance for reading.

I recently ended a relationship with a person that I love that I believe suffers from borderline. We are both from NY and now I live in CA. We did a short time of long distance and he actually moved out to california to be with me. This felt incredible that he was willing to take that leap. I've acknowledged this again and again. We only knew each other 8 months but I was SO excited. We talked family and kids. We had a vision.

What I've learned recently is how emotionally "unarmed" borderlines can be. I had no idea. That was one of my biggest attractors. It felt so refreshing to meet a man who shared so much about himself so quickly.

I come from a co/dependent upbringing. It's something I've worked hard to heal and have felt great joy around the changes I've been able to make. When I look at my part, I see that I was still care taking in several ways. What's interesting to me is that I kept thinking over and over, "he uprooted his whole life to be here," and I made excuses for bad behavior and extreme disrespect. What was most hurtful was all the false accusations and distrust that took place during our time together and this push/pull angel/devil dynamic. This really triggered in me the walking on eggshells experience and intense anxiety. I would try and resolve things even though he would not respond or talk to me for several days. He really doesn't take any responsibility for any of his part most of the time, . Ultimately, several times he's decided not to be with me and always ended up coming around (sometimes with awareness of himself) and I still had energy to continue trying until I didn't anymore. At the end, he told me he didn't love me so I left the relationship. As soon as I left, he suddenly realized he loved me, then two weeks later he moved back to NY.

After several angry emails, He's recently claimed he wants to work on things again. He sounds so sincere. In fact, he is supposedly in CA today and coming to pick up his cat that he left with me tomorrow.  I have decided not to see him.  I think what I need support in is completely cutting him off. I still feel a lot of pain around the thought and also feel guilt about hurting him  and further reaction, even though we've broken up etc. Also, there's a small part of me that buys into things he says that are blaming and are about all the things I needed to do different and also when he says how much he loves me, etc.

We've been broken up 2 months.

thank you Smiling (click to insert in post)
OptimusRhyme

« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2017, 01:54:32 PM »

The way I've come to feel about completely cutting off my ex is that I am doing the most positive and effective kindness I can do her by offering her the opportunity to commit to her own consistency, to learn herself and possibly (hopefully, for her) apply those lessons to future relationships. There is no undoing how she treated me, and anything except NC, for me, would be to invite us (her) to practice the same mistakes and maladaptive behavioral cycles that brought me to leave the relationship in the first place. That's a waste of her time as much as it's a waste of mine.

Before I realized this, I struggled mightily with the inner guilt of having to be cold and dismissive, reinforced by her reminding me of how selfish I was and that I couldn't "stop loving myself more than I loved her, or enough to make her feel secure". You are not responsible for your ex's feelings, and the time and space spent practicing NC has made that exponentially easier to accept, for me.

Hope that helps in support of your decision! Trust and be kind to yourself. Smiling (click to insert in post)
Harley Quinn
Retired Staff

I am exactly where I need to be, right now.

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2017, 04:08:56 PM »

Hi healing36,

Welcome to the family!  I'm so glad that you found this site and I'm sure you'll gain lots of knowledge here that will help you.  Have you taken a look at the lessons and insights?  There are links above.  You'll find some fantastic articles, including one that I refer to time and again - Surviving a break up with a person with BPD (link above the board).  I found that learning helped me a great deal to understand what had happened in the relationship and what my ex's experience was like for him.

Excerpt
I think what I need support in is completely cutting him off. I still feel a lot of pain around the thought and also feel guilt about hurting him  and further reaction, even though we've broken up etc.

When you say you want to completely cut him off, what is the reason?  It might sound like a silly question but we all come at this from different perspectives, so whilst many of us have gone down the NC route, it is worth some thought before deciding if that is your best option.  There is a really good article on this here: https://bpdfamily.com/content/no-contact-right-way-wrong-way  It helped me a lot to assess where I was coming at it from and be sure that it was the right thing for me. 

Whatever you decide you are in the right place for support.  Everyone on the Detaching board has been through a break up and there are many seasoned members who are testament to the fact that we can recover from this.  Their wisdom is so valuable, whilst you'll feel comforted by the fact you're not alone in your feelings as many are in the same place too.  The pain and guilt you describe are so difficult and I feel for you, having been there myself as most of the people on here have.  It takes time and self compassion to maneuvre through this, and is sort of like a grieving process.  What support do you have from family / friends?  Sometimes it's hard to talk to others who know us about the experiences we've had as it doesn't necessarily make much sense to us at the time, but eventually things will start to become clearer.  If you have people around who can cheerlead you it does help.  I found this forum such a lifeline and I hope the same for you.  It's a great place to get things off your chest and share your thoughts and feelings at a time like this. 

Excerpt
Also, there's a small part of me that buys into things he says that are blaming and are about all the things I needed to do different and also when he says how much he loves me, etc.

After any relationship breakup there naturally comes a time to assess what went wrong, what our role was, etc.  We have contributed to the relationship, after all, however try not to beat yourself up in the process.  It's good to think about what you might do differently in future.  We can all do that.  Right now, it's more important to look after yourself and allow yourself to deal with the feelings you have, especially when it sounds like you have things left that you're tying up like the cat (not literally!).  The rest can come in time.  Blame often comes up and it can be too easy to take all the blame or cast all the blame after the demise of a relationship.  Just remember two parties were involved and nobody is perfect!

Hearing that an ex partner loves you is a very painful thing in itself.  Does it match his actions in your opinion?  Some of my most difficult moments have been around this at the end of my relationship and I know how it can make you feel.  It was somebody on here who pointed out that if the words don't match the actions then you have to go off the actions.  That was hard for me to hear as his words still meant so much to me and I felt so strongly towards him that I really wanted to believe that the words were how he really felt, but I knew deep down that I was discounting his actions which were too real to be ignored.

Is he collecting the cat when you are not there?  What did you agree upon?  I can imagine that even if you're not going to be around it will be an emotional time for you and I hope you can immerse yourself in something that is positive for you and is self soothing in some way.  Do let us know how you're getting on.  We're here for you.

Love and light x 

We are stars wrapped in skin.  The light you are looking for has always been within.
healing36
Fewer than 3 Posts

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2017, 12:46:33 AM »

Harley Quinn, Thank you so much for your supportive and very loving feedback. I read the article you suggested-great by the way. Yes, I would doing NC for myself to have space and time to be with my feelings and move forward. But I totally agree that it's so important to have clarity around the intention and motive. I am still very triggered by things that are said the times that we've been in contact. I'd like to give myself space with as much peace as possible to move on.

I won't be around when he gets the cat and yes it has been super emotional. Thank you for your empathy. It's so appreciated. Smiling (click to insert in post)

I do have wonderful and supportive friends. I feel so blessed to have them in my life. And I'm happy to find support here as well.

And as far as his love for me... .well I initially thought that him moving to California to be with me showed so much about his love for me. But then I learned that the day to day actions didn't necessarily show it. I felt like I was constantly trying to prove to him that I was lovable and trustworthy (even though I didn't do a thing to indicate that I couldn't be trusted and was committed to him) He has MAJOR trust issues with women especially. It was just so interesting to me how the, "I don't love you" event happened then when I leave it was suddenly, "oh now I do love you after all" and then shortly after moving back to NY. Very confusing. Maybe I'm curious since he is now so open verbally about his feelings; however I don't feel I can trust him in that way. Consistency builds trust and he certainly hasn't been consistent with me. This is why I am no longer open to rekindling even though I love him deeply.
Harley Quinn
Retired Staff

I am exactly where I need to be, right now.

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2017, 07:00:19 AM »

Hi healing,

I'm glad you too found the article useful and are clear on your reasons for wanting to go NC.  It is a difficult thing to do because of the emotions we undoubtedly feel around it, yet done for the right intentions can be very rewarding.

Excerpt
I am still very triggered by things that are said the times that we've been in contact. I'd like to give myself space with as much peace as possible to move on.

For me, I found I got just that and it has helped me immensely with my healing process.  To no longer be in the midst of turmoil gave me clear perspective and opportunity to learn so much more about BPD, and myself, to make sense of what had happened for both of us.  I feel compassion towards my ex and am free of any confusion, anger or resentment I might have felt during the difficult times in our relationship.  That peace is so valuable and is something we crave badly when we no longer have it, isn't it?  

When difficult feelings come up, this is a great place to share as so many will relate to you and can share things they have implemented to help themselves too.  The fact that he is living elsewhere you will find to be a positive I'm sure and help to ease things for you.  Moving on can be harder when you are in close proximity.
I briefly mentioned the surviving a break up article in my last reply.  You may in time find this helpful too.  Here's the link:

https://bpdfamily.com/content/surviving-break-when-your-partner-has-borderline-personality

Hope it's useful.  It taught me a lot and I found it comforting to know that the thoughts and feelings I had were quite normal after a BPD relationship.  

Excerpt
Maybe I'm curious since he is now so open verbally about his feelings; however I don't feel I can trust him in that way. Consistency builds trust and he certainly hasn't been consistent with me. This is why I am no longer open to rekindling even though I love him deeply.

Healing, you strike me as someone with great strength and self awareness and I admire that.  Your level headed approach and the support of your friends and family will prove extremely valuable in your journey and I wish you the space and peace to heal that you desire.  

I hope your day brings about some small amount of relief for you.  :)o keep us posted about how you are doing.

Love and light x

We are stars wrapped in skin.  The light you are looking for has always been within.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest