Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
March 28, 2024, 11:36:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Experts share their discoveries [video]
Caretaking - What is it all about?
Margalis Fjelstad, PhD
Blame - why we do it?
Brené Brown, PhD
Family dynamics matter.
Alan Fruzzetti, PhD
A perspective on BPD
Ivan Spielberg, PhD
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Does this sound like BPD or something else?  (Read 651 times)
JoeBPD81

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« on: March 23, 2018, 06:34:35 AM »

My GF of 4 years has tried to explain me how she feels about me and why we can't be together. We still live together and we take care of her 2 kids, who had no idea she's planing to leave me and they want me to be their dad forever.

She sent me this, please tell me your thoughts and how you would answer:

Excerpt
I don't know how to explain how I feel, to a normal person
It's like this: imagine that you're at an All you can Eat, your favorite place on earth. And you obviously want to have it all, a bit of everything. But imagine if you knew that afterwards you were going to be violently sick, because it has happened consistently. And you have to be there, around that food that you want, but can't have it. And just act like it's OK and doesn't matter at all, and just wait until everyone else is done eating what you wanted.
And all the time, you want the same as everyone else, but you know that you can't, doesn't matter how much you like it.
And then you have the cook asking you, why don't you like my food? What's wrong with it?
And no matter how much you explain that it's not that you don't like the food but that you like it too much, you're still hurting everyone, including yourself.
Well, that's my life and you.
It was super painful to get to terms with the fact that I can't have what I wanted.
It still is.
But not as horrible as trying and trying and resenting myself for not being better.

And then you're so hungry, and the cook keeps going on feeling rejected, and you resent it because you don't have any more ways to explain, and you know that if you eat you're going to enjoy it a lot, until you start feeling so sick that you hope to die.
And you feel sorry for the cook, and for all the wasted food, and there's no way that you know how to eat the food and not be sick and resent the cook for it.
Rationally you know the cook doesn't want to make you sick.
But it happens, and you don't know how to stop it.
And everyone that you try to explain, seems to think that somehow you're not making any efforts.
When every day you're still there, around the food and the cook and just fighting to not lose your head completely.
There are so many times that I want to just jump your bones and say things and make plans, and it's real hard not to. But I am not a bad person. I don't play with people's feelings, even if you think that way about me

Thank you.

We are in this together.
PLEASE - NO RUN MESSAGES
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members may appear frustrated but they are here for constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

juju2

« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2018, 07:46:21 AM »

It does sound like BPD.

If she can get treatment.  There is treatment.

Maybe she is hitting bottom.

Joe, I am sad for you.

This could be a turning point.

I think what I do is enable them, they don't have to face reality.  We end up getting hurt by the unhealthiness, as we see the good side of them and what COULD be.  We see all of that, when it falls apart, and we remember the good times.

I am at the point I do not lnow what to do.

He has moved on, and he wants to be friends.

I can't have that.  Doesn't work.

Am looking at a 6 month cooling off period.

We have 1 more counseling appt.  He told me last nite, he is going for me.  He was a totally different person last nite... .

Anyway, they can be different people, completely, and that is what throws me, I never know which person to believe, the current one or the person they were yesterday.

It's hard.  Keep on, keeping on.  There is a solution.

Somewhere.

Hugs,  j
Harley Quinn
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

I am exactly where I need to be, right now.

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2018, 07:53:43 AM »

Hi Joe,

Excerpt
And all the time, you want the same as everyone else, but you know that you can't, doesn't matter how much you like it.

Reading this from an outside perspective, it sounds to me as though she is trying to tell you that she doesn't have the skills to make a relationship work.  That she recognises that whilst what she craves is love and a happy ending, her repeated experience is that this isn't something she is able to achieve because her feelings/fears take over and cause things to go badly.  

Excerpt
And then you're so hungry, and the cook keeps going on feeling rejected, and you resent it because you don't have any more ways to explain, and you know that if you eat you're going to enjoy it a lot, until you start feeling so sick that you hope to die.
And you feel sorry for the cook, and for all the wasted food, and there's no way that you know how to eat the food and not be sick and resent the cook for it.
Rationally you know the cook doesn't want to make you sick.
But it happens, and you don't know how to stop it.

Joe, it seems she knows what effect she has on you and is acknowledging that.  Yet from what she writes, her ability to change the cycle is lacking and she doesn't have a solution other than trying not to hurt you more by giving mixed messages.  It sounds like she is trying to protect you by disengaging in the way that she is.  I also detect awareness of your efforts to help and her own reactions to that being hurtful to you.    

She sounds very self aware.  How do you feel about this?  What is your interpretation?  This must be a difficult read for you.  

Love and light x

We are stars wrapped in skin.  The light you are looking for has always been within.
Harley Quinn
Retired Staff

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2018, 07:56:01 AM »

Sorry Joe, I also wanted to ask what preceded this being sent to you?  Do you know what prompted her to send this?

Love and light x

We are stars wrapped in skin.  The light you are looking for has always been within.
JoeBPD81

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2018, 08:18:53 AM »

We've been 3-4 days talking about our RS, not arguing, which is nice.

She can talk nice because she has decided we are friends, and we can be polite to each other but not close. And aparently, we can continue parenting her kids, until she finds another place?

We had awful news today, we need to find another apartment, and prices have gone up since we rented. She's taking it as a sign from the Universe. I don't know what's gonna happen.

We are in this together.
lighthouse9

What is your sexual orientation: Gay, lesb

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2018, 08:20:27 AM »

Hey Joe,

This is intense - and I've had similar conversations with my STBXw, where she would acknowledge things, but would take zero responsibility. Then, later, she would beg me to remind her that she could get well and that treatment does work, and would tell me the only reason she believes that is because I believe it. And then she lied about going to counseling. More than lied - she fabricated all kinds of stuff about the DBT place I was going to that she was supposedly going to, as well. It was bizarre, but a clear indication that she 1. Could acknowledge the presence of BPD in her life; 2. Knew that DBT was the path forward; but 3. Was not ready to commit to treatment.

If I got this text, I would ask her why I am the cook and why I'm not another diner, or someone that is eating with her. I think our BPD folks like to imagine us in a position of power that we don't necessarily have and then like to resent us for that power. They also get very uncomfortable with our real and perceived expectations, and hate feeling obligated to anything.

I might ask her to reconsider her metaphor and ask her why it has to be your restaurant with your food. What if you two were out together, or were even separate people at separate tables at this restaurant? What if she got to choose the restaurant? What would it look like for her to make her own choices here and not feel backed into a corner of obligation and guilt in a scenario that doesn't quite exist?

My STBXw was a vegan for a long time and part of being with someone with dietary restrictions means scoping restaurants ahead of time and advocating for food substitutions when they are ok with you advocating for them. I wonder if you could propose something similar to continue her metaphor. Hey, so you've got something that makes it really difficult to eat here. Do you want my support as a fellow diner? Do you want to go somewhere else?

Just remember - you're not the chef. You're her equal, even if you need to advocate and care take, you're still her equal and she still has her dignity.

Let me know if this sits with you ok or not - I'm curious, given that I've heard such similar things from my STBXw, too.

isilme

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent
Relationship status: Married

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2018, 10:27:30 AM »

Joe,

After reading up on your other posts about how she acts and statements she makes, in addition to this,
yes, I think BPD is a factor, but so is her body dysphoria and what to me looks like chronic depression.

The part that is BPD is the "all or nothing" comments.  She can't work things out with you unless she thinks it will be perfect for both of you.  Black and white thinking.  Perfection is not something human beings can attain.  We strive for it, knowing we will fall short, but we still see how close we can get.  We also learn the difference between happiness and contentment.  You can be content but not happy every single minute of the day.

Now I find her metaphors a little ironic, as they speak volumes about her eating disorder as well as her relationship ideas.  You GF seems to be saying, "I want cake.  But since I can't have the whole cake because it will make me sick and feel fat later, I will eat NO cake.  I am unable to eat one slice, one bite, and only eat a reasonable amount.  I must have it all, or I will have nothing.  I know this confuses people as I want to see THEM eat the cake and try to derive pleasure from it, but then I realize I am hurting the baker's feelings, so I am a failure no matter what."

"I want to be with you.  But it won't be "perfect" because I am flawed and you are flawed, and so it's best you just do without me, so I can say you abandoned me rather than realize my emotional state is really me abandoning you.  I am trying to both abandon you and keep you around at a safe distance at the same time before you abandon me."

Since BPD is an emotional disorder, and their emotions are seen as facts to them, if she FEELS perfection is required but impossible, she will FEEL that the relationship, as much as she wants it, as much as you want it, is useless and doomed.

My H gets like this - if it's less than 100% what his expectation was, even 95% wonderful, he feels it's a failure.  And no matter how much I validate and express thanks and appreciation for something if he gets it stuck in his mind it was not "perfect" he is set on being down on himself about it, claims he's a failure, etc.  Also in this vein he will choose to interpret ANY face I made, gesture, comment to be negative no matter how I feel at the time (I don't believe I can express anger to him if I am not feeling remotely angry.  He confuses me being tired with angry, sick or in pain for angry.  He wants to believe I am angry, as for some reason that is easier to deal with than me being content but tired, sick, or hurting, or even happy, he just can't believe that one.)

I want to think it's good she is trying to work on explaining her feelings to you.  I know these conversations are painful, but the more you can get her actually talking, the more maybe you can get a few seeds of thought communicated to her as well.  I hope you are still trying to take care of you. 

Harley Quinn
Retired Staff

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2018, 10:59:58 AM »

Joe, do you have any thoughts on how you wish to respond to what she has said?  What is your instinct telling you to do?  Like Isilme astutely pointed out, it struck me also that she is combining two struggles for herself into one by relating your r/s to her eating disorder.  It speaks volumes about her noting her perceived lack of control.  What do you think?

Love and light x

JoeBPD81

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2018, 12:07:36 PM »

I'm now worried sick about the apartment situation. We both are. So everything else is postponed. I'm meeting the landlord in some minutes.

We are in this together.
lighthouse9

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2018, 12:54:11 PM »

Good luck Joe - it's never easy to deal with this stuff on top of the BPD stuff. Keep yourself in wisemind and ask for time if you feel like you're making a decision in your emotional mind, even if it's just an hour to step away and figure things out.

DaddyBear77

Relationship status: Divorced

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2018, 11:02:48 PM »

After reading up on your other posts about how she acts and statements she makes, in addition to this,
yes, I think BPD is a factor, but so is her body dysphoria and what to me looks like chronic depression.

Joe, my friend, I believe that islime is spot-on. Everything she says is something to read and re-read. Harley Quinn and lighthouse9 have also made really really good points and observations. There's so much good feedback in this thread. I'm not sure how much else I could say, except, yes, I believe that what you are reading from your GF is typical of traits associated with BPD.

I understand that right now you and your GF need to focus on the apartment situation. When you get back to a place where you can read the boards and re-read this advice, let me pull out one really key phrase in what islime said:
"I want to be with you.  But it won't be "perfect" because I am flawed and you are flawed, and so it's best you just do without me, so I can say you abandoned me rather than realize my emotional state is really me abandoning you.  I am trying to both abandon you and keep you around at a safe distance at the same time before you abandon me."

Joe, I know you have no intention of abandoning her. She will continue to try and push and pull while she struggles with the intense emotions she's dealing with. Your GF needs to seek help. When you come back, lets talk about ways you can support YOURSELF while also trying to support your wife and the children you are raising together.

Huge hugs and support, Joe - we are here for you all the way  
JoeBPD81

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2018, 03:23:18 AM »

Hi again, guys

I've been out of the boards for some days, and in rent pages all day. We now have some hope about an apartment we are visiting tomorrow. If that works our life can continue as it were, same neighborhood, more expensive, but doable.

We've been seeing places all over the city, smaller places, farther away places, places in scary areas... .Thinking how we could pay them, how we would get to work/school... .And things looked bleek. I thank you for your prayers, because if this flat works out, it would be just short of a miracle. I'm grateful just for the hope.

We saw another one in similar circunstances, but right in the 1st call, the owner told us that we don't earn enough for him to be comfortable renting to us. We saw other places that lied in the advertising, really sad-ugly-old flats. We've seen many cons too.

Needless to say we've been very stressed. The kids know, and they want to be distracted from any worry, so they act out even more. Even during visits to flats, they fight. We're going alone to this one tomorrow.

My GF wanted to throw the towell. She took all this as a signal to leave and give up the kids, and life. I kept in my mind the posibility to be looking for a place just for myself to lick my wounds. And figuring out what my life would be after. With the new prices, I might had to share a flat.

... .

We had 2 days, not in a row, but close, that she cried all day, and I held her. She hugs me often, she took some oil and massaged my hands and arms yesterday, without me asking. She asked me one night to stay with her in her bed, and she's come 4-5 nights to sleep with me in the middle of the night until morning.

She's told she appreciates now more everything. That she's been complaining, and now being about to lose it all, she thinks she should have been more appreciative for what we had. That all this has been a teaching moment.

Both things are hopeful. Carefuly hopeful. I hope we can build from that.

We are in this together.
isilme

« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2018, 10:17:29 AM »

Hi Joe, good to hear how you're doing.

I wish you lived around here - I used to type the newspaper rent-ads and knew which landlords were reputable and paid their own bills on time and which were jerks.  

Quick find-an-apartment-and-move-in-one-week-story: One time H and I had an electrical fire right before I went to work on Christmas Eve.  That was scary.  H worked nights, I worked 12 hour days, and as I was leaving in the morning he was still asleep, but smoke started pouring out of the bedroom outlet behind his head right as I was about to leave the room.  It woke him, we discovered it, and I ran to the old-fashioned fuse box and pulled the fuse for that outlet - and ALL wall outlets in the crappy apartment - and had to run to work.  Luckily it was just a half day, so we ran an extension cord around the side of the building to run some heaters, and resolved to find a place and move by the 1st so we would not pay another cent to this terrible landlord (we had horrible plumbing issues, and the apartments upstairs leaked a lot on our kitchen.  H went to work that evening, I called a number of some apartments nearby (we needed somewhere walking distance to both the local college AND our workplaces since we shared one car).  I was told they were all full, but that they were managed by Coldwell Banker.  I did not know it, but both Coldwell Banker and Century 21 manage rentals as well.  We found a nice, tiny, well-maintained "apartment" cottage, 500sq ft, one block away.  We both had work, but our friends came, and literally walked our furniture down the street for us, and we were out by the 31st.  So miracles can happen Smiling (click to insert in post)

I will hope that a lot of her dysregulation over the last several weeks has been a lot of her reaction to the stress of the rental-hunt.  Problems often seem insurmountable to a pwPD.  Imagine how badly you've been feeling.  Then, multiply it 100x.  I think that might be a bit how having BPD feels.  If I feel despair, H must be in the darkest pit imaginable.  

I hope you can continue to feel closer, I hope a housing solution presents itself, and that those kids can learn some manners!  Send them to me :D  I am learning to adjust to the cranky-no-kids-lady role, I'll get 'em straightened out :P  Got plenty of yard work and gardening that could use small, dexterous hands.

JoeBPD81

« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2018, 08:51:09 AM »

Hi there,

still hopeful, but soo tired... .

If I end up alone, I think I will leave the city, or at least try. Here it is so expensive just to survive, man!

The landlords liked us, and they say we have priority if all the paperwork checks out. They are a nice old couple, but a little on the untrusting side. I had to present them papers from all areas of my life, the only thing they didn't ask was an X-ray of my behind. Oh lord! They could turn us down if the insurance company considers the child support as an unreliable source of income. We are praying they take us.

The flat is not as nice as the one we are in, but the location is better. I'm trying not to think that it will be €100 more expensive every month. And that they can leave me anytime in one of my GF's crisis. We BPD family members live dangerously.

The dysregulation came way before we suspected anything rent related. This is weirdly bringing us closer. One day she told me she liked living with us, then that she was used to having me around... .And yesterday morning that she sometimes think I'm a complete stranger and she doesn't know me. But she is aware that some of that is her own paranoia.

If she lands the job, it would do us a lot of good.

Oh, the doctors discovered an unusually dangerously low level of vitamin D on her. She gets sun, but she's not producing Vitamin D, and going back, she's had this deficency for years. It is related to depression, so a supplement can mean a good change. We have a bit of hope there.

I would love to send these kids somewhere to straighten them out, Oh, Lord! During Easter we had to send the older a couple of days with the granma, to have some peace for us and for S6. She told them this is not what she wants, but that she can't take it anymore, and that she might have to let their dad try to civilize them. She told them nicely, and told them crying, and told them screaming out of her witts... .But even when they are shocked for a minute, the next minute it is more important to not get bored, and they keep fighting even with her mother crying on her knees on the floor. I've never seen anything like that.

I think gardening ot farming might work wonders on these kids. No nonsense honest manual work.

Lets hope the new flat comes with a fresh start.

Thanks for listening, and for your support.

We are in this together.
isilme

« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2018, 10:01:48 AM »

I volunteer Tattered Heart to take on one of the kids so they can help her with her land (sounds like she's on a large plot) and the baby piggies  Smiling (click to insert in post)

CryWolf

« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2018, 10:45:17 AM »

I think you did a good job sending the kids away. Do you have any plans with the partner? Maybe a nice stroll in the park?
JoeBPD81

« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2018, 10:53:55 AM »

Oh, the kid went for a day and a half, and we are back in business.

We are in this together.
CryWolf

« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2018, 01:50:00 AM »

Hey Joe, hope you’re doing well. Update us when you get the chance Smiling (click to insert in post)
JoeBPD81

« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2018, 07:39:40 AM »

Thanks Crywolf,

I hope you are feeling better yourself.

When I met my GF, and we became friends, she was on her way of being kicked out of her home. Her then-husband was increasingly abusive, the 6 year old would go between her and him, and yell "stop hitting mama!". She had asked for a divilized divorce many times, tried counseling... .But he would threat many things if she left. Finaly she saw no alternative but to reporting him, as everyone was advising her to do for years.

During the restraining order, he kept demanding that they left HIS house. He termitated the electricity, water, and heating contracts. The only thing he wanted was the house, and told her to go back to her mother. He signed an agreement in exchange for them leaving the house. The lawyers signed too, and they moved away from their family home. Reluctantly, frigtened and under threats of violence and murder. He never ratified that agreement in court, so it was worth nothing. She started a court battle that lasted for years to come.

In short, she had a home, and she was forced out with her kids.

She rented a flat in my city, which she hates (Thinking he would pay what he had signed), and she had to leave it very soon, because he didn't pay. Another forced moving, with the kids.

Then 2 years living the 3 of them in a room with mattresses on the floor, in the house of her mother. Not because the mother didn't have money or space, she just didn't bother to make their stay more welcome. She and other relatives, kept telling her to move out, and live with me, then her boyfriend, "such a nice guy". She, remembering her past, felt thrown out.

The moment they left, the grandmother bought a dog, which my gf is dangerously alergic. She barely can visit that house for 10 minutes without falling sick. Let alone live there again.

People here in the boards know about the rocky process of starting and living together since we moved together less than 2 years ago. She was just starting to feel at home lately. And we are being kicked out again. For her, this opens old painful wounds.

For me, you know I live with all the uncertainty in the world. Never knowing when or if she is going to leave me. I was barely making ends meet. And now we have to move to a more expensive place. Prices have gone crazy in the last 2 years in my city. So we are lucky if we end up renting a place for 100€ more than the one we are in, without sacrificing much comfort.

So I fear strugling more with money, and then go back to being insecure, or end up alone in a very expensive 3 bedroom apartment. And with that fear we are visiting flats left and right. Yesterday we said yes to one. The furniture looks old, but is as big as ours, and has some nice things. The only weird thing is that the fridge is very small (looks like a joke, seriously). And the kitchen is built around that fridge size. But we'll find a way around that, I think.

I've been using all my spare time to do this, doing math, comparing places, talking to real state agents and owners... .The rest of my day I've been crisis solving, with the kids or my gf.

We've been closer than usual, in average. But she is devastated and hopeless. Specially because the kids seem to be growing up to become sociopaths, and she blames herself. Nothing we do seems to work with them.

The little one turned 7, mom went with him to 6 different stores to buy him something he wanted (although he already had several Bday presents). It was out of stock in all of them. She said "well, we go on with the plan, and we try again later". Some minutes after, we were all having fun, and out of nowhere he said to his mom "You dirty stupid mother, I want nothing from you!" with a really hateful face. She is living because of them, she makes countless sacrifices for them... .And then they treat her as a slave, and they punish her for everything they don't like, even when they know it's not her fault at all. But she believes it's her fault, so it breaks her completely, she was laughing before, and crying after the little one said that.

They are specially nasty when she sings, or dances, or laughs, or seems to be enjoying life in any way.

Then the ex came back into the picture. We had the court ruling more than 2 years ago. Then the sentence said how much he owed the kids. He appealed and lost about 2 years ago. Then last July, as he didn't pay, they sent him the warning that her account will be frozen, and his house and car could be repossessed if he couldn't pay. He owes less than a month's salary for him, a world to us. My GF offered him a payment plan, and he didn't listen. So now they have started taking to money leaving him no choice. And he's raging mad. He called again with threats, demanding she gives back "his" money. Saying that he prefers to see her dead than seeing her enjoying his money... .Then saying that filthy money is peanuts for him, in the same call. That he's gonna hate her forever, and that he's gonna make a hell of her life.

So... .More wounds open.

The mother owns two 4-bedroom apartments at a historical neigborhood, they are worth a fortune. They could be rented for tripple what we are paying. One is ocupied by her and a 20somehting year old daughter, the other, by a 37 year old daughter, rent free and expenses paid. People can't believe that 2 sisters are taken care of, and one is left to fend for herself with 2 kids, no job and being a victim. The mother has her 2 sister entitled, and to her (and the kids), she gives less than to the dog, literaly. That is very invalidating, that your own mother does all this in your face. Everytime the family is in the picture, she is brought way down. After all this time knowing them, the behavior of the mother boils down to "she wishes her daughter didn't exist".

At any point in life, even when your mental health is peachy, if even your parents and your sons seem to despise you, you must feel pretty useless, and like a failure. If you don't seem to find a job, for 4 years, and you were abused by pretty much everyone that should have protected you in life... .

I feel alone in this, like trying to stop a snowball the size of a building speeding down a mountain.

We are in this together.
Harley Quinn
Retired Staff

« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2018, 06:03:52 PM »

Hi Joe,

It's good to hear an update from you.  So glad that you have an apartment sorted.  That must be a relief at least. 

Your last sentence really speaks volumes.  How can that change Joe?  If not stopping the snowball, at least the being alone in it part?  Who else can you share some of this with and have some support from?  For you.   

Love and light x 

CryWolf

« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2018, 08:15:36 PM »

Hey Joe,

It seems like your partner is a loving and caring person. Im sorry the kids are giving her such a horrible time. She loves them so much and the kids are probably causing her to feel unloved and wanted as a mother. This is tough for anyone. I wish the kids could appreciate their mom and realize their words and actions are taking a toll on her. They are just kids, and probably dont know their actions and words, but nonetheless I feel like something has to change on this end. For the mothers sake.

Your partner must feel huge despair when her own mother wont acknowledge her and only her sisters. This is tough. This must make her feel "worthless" and feel a 100x more. Im deeply sorry for the situation. No one deserves to be treated this way. If anyone would be treating me this way, I would detach and never acknowldge them again. Blood doesnt make family, and she deserves happiness that they are not giving her. Have you guys tried moving farther away? Maybe outside the city if possible? I apologize if youve mentioned this before. Maybe moving away from the city could slow things down a bit, and turn dynamics in the relationship? Just some suggestions for you, Joe. I really hope things turn better for you and your partner and you find true bliss.

JoeBPD81

« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2018, 03:34:32 AM »

Hi guys,

thanks for the responses. I'm feeling closer to her, so I feel we work as a team, with a lot of unstability, but it's a better feeling. That way I don't feel so alone, HQ.

I'm gonna have to study a lot this month, I don't know it that will bring more chaces of conflict.

Crywolf you were spot on on the summary. She went away from her family before, and things were better, but the conflict was buried, not resolved. The pain came back worse than before after years of running away.

My job is here, and I have opportunities to move seldomly. Last chance I asked her to move together away from the city, and she got mad. She told me she couldn't. Mostly because the center of the kids' world is the school. All the stuff  is involved in helping them. The head misstress is friends with my gf. And a bitter-sweet thing, the grandmother works there. They love their friends there too.

My gf has her friends and contacts in a little town in the coast, where the ex lives. But she believes that if we moved closer, the ex would be dangerous in several ways.

She also believes that I will dump them some day, and it can't be lost in the geography of the country, after moving the kids like luggage. Here at least she has some aquaintances and family, even if they are not eager to take them in, that's something.

The ex is now calling a couple of times a week. Not asking about the kids, but to chat, and ask questions about our life. He's not threatening anymore, or not much. But she doesn't know his intentions. He's a liar and a manipulator, so she can't let her guard down. But she can't tell him to piss off, because we can't afford to go some months without the child support, if he were to withhold it. This is very unsettling to her. And I don't know what to tell her about it.

She says she feels something good is about to happen, I hope she can keep that attitude long, and that she is right about that. I'm praying more these days, I need some help from big forces.

Take care, and thanks again.

We are in this together.
Harley Quinn
Retired Staff

« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2018, 04:49:08 PM »

Joe how do you feel about him asking about your life?  I can understand her not wanting to be rude, and it would be healthy if she stated that she's prepared to talk about the kids but not herself and her relationship.  That would be perfectly fair and reasonable both for you to request and her to explain to him.  You may need to guide her on boundaries with this.  If he were to stop the child support, what steps could you take to recover that - do you know?

Glad to hear there is hope and optimism in your world right now.

Love and light x

JoeBPD81

« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2018, 05:37:12 AM »

Joe how do you feel about him asking about your life?  I can understand her not wanting to be rude, and it would be healthy if she stated that she's prepared to talk about the kids but not herself and her relationship.  That would be perfectly fair and reasonable both for you to request and her to explain to him.  You may need to guide her on boundaries with this.  If he were to stop the child support, what steps could you take to recover that - do you know?

Glad to hear there is hope and optimism in your world right now.

Thanks for cheking in HQ, it is important for me.

As you sure guess, it's not great that he knows anything about me. I have to understand as a father the need to know what kind of person is raising my kids. But... .If he cared about the kids, he would do things in a much different way. She ignores personal questions and hints from him. He's telling her how many girlfriends she has around, and how much sex he's getting since she left him. A total class act... .You know? When we've seen him, he looks like a sad old drunk. In the trial, no one testified on his side, not even his kids from a previous marriage, now adults. His lawyer called a witness (that my gf never heard about), and the jury found him drunk in a bar close to the court.

In one day he called her to tell her she was the greatest, that she had to write because she was brilliant, funny, and hard working... .And the same day he called to threat with killing her before she could enjoy a cent from him. Then 2 days later he called saying what he has to pay it's peanuts to him, and boasting about having much more in the bank. (That money he owes it's his kids food, from 3 years ago). Then 2 days later he said, like apologizing, that he shouldn't have married her, that he just had used her.

One day he called manic about the money the Court took from his account. Demanding she called her lawyer to cofirm it was there. When she called back to confirm, he said "What are you talking about? Why do you call me? Don't you know I'm watching the news at this hour?"

So we don't know if he's gone bonkers, or if he's trying to mess with her head. Well, in any case, he's succeding in the later.

Now we think he understands that every time he doesn't pay, he has to pay anyway later, plus fines, and court fees. So he's not planning on doing it again. But if he does, it's a long process to demand it, and for us it would be really hard.

BTW, he asked if I spoke English, so he can talk to me sometime. He has to show a lot of care for the kids before I can see him without wanting to spit on his face.

I'm the worst on boundaries. I can't hardly teach/guide someone on that.

I hope we can still be optimist, even though moderately. This weekend we did something we hadn't done in half a year, and I wanted to scream it from the window, and no bad consecuences so far.

Thanks for being here.

We are in this together.
isilme

« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2018, 02:11:24 PM »

Excerpt
I'm the worst on boundaries. I can't hardly teach/guide someone on that.

Hey, deciding to not talk to him IS a boundary, and perfectly within your rights.  I wish you had some advocate to talk to him instead of it having to be through her, so that stress could be taken off of her.  He is definitely a toxic influence, and along with her family's treatment, her issues are a lot easier to follow, now.

I hate to say it's good that things like this could be helping re-establish some closeness for you, but, well, it;'s good to hear  that you are working more as a team instead of at cross purposes. 

JoeBPD81

« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2018, 02:28:19 AM »

I wanted to thank you, Isilme. I've been away from everything and studying all I could. I still have the moving soon, the ex is still bothering us... .My GF fell sick and we are not sure what's wrong... .

We haven't talk about BPD, or things related to it in about a month. We are just supper bussy. And she's not very affectionate, but she's not hating me either. She's been kind. So I'm emotionally Ok-ish, but very very tired from stress and studies.

That's my update. I'll be back!

We are in this together.
SlyQQ

« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2018, 05:00:19 AM »

Yes and it sounds like she is doing the right thing, if you want to support her say that its fine
i'll be here if things get tricky , but as a friend which is what you need.

p.s, stay a friend
Harley Quinn
Retired Staff

« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2018, 03:16:06 PM »

Great to hear that you've been managing to focus on your studies amid everything else Joe.  When your studies are over, then your challenge will be to continue focusing on what is important just to you in other ways.  Yes, I threw the gauntlet down.  Rooting for a relatively simple move and some reassuring news on the mystery illness.  Whatever way you can find to unwind, don't think about it - just do it.  Here when you're able to post.

Love and light x

JoeBPD81

« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2018, 05:27:03 AM »

The pain she is in, it seems an infection close to the kidneys. She's been managing better and we are hoping for some specific antibiotics today,after the results from some tests. Thanks.

In the midst of  the flat hunt, they published the date for the National exam I applied for to get a promotion. I was hoping for after the summer, but it has been scheduled to the middle of May.

So I'm trying to get about 1400 pages of laws (boring laws) in my head in a month. I don't have a lot of possibilities, but it would be irresponsible not to try my best. I could get lucky. And it can take 1 to 5 years to have another chance.

Now that the flat is more expensive, I kind of need that promotion. But I feel less anxious, because my parents handed me a bit of cash for the moving expenses. They don't usually do that kind of thing, they want us "kids" to pull our own weight. But I guess they've seen I'm pulling 4 people's weight right now, and children are involved.

Well, back to the laws!

We are in this together.
Harley Quinn
Retired Staff

« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2018, 06:20:13 AM »

Good luck with the exam Joe!  You can do this  Doing the right thing (click to insert in post)  See if you can make up a silly song out of the most difficult to remember boring laws to help them to stick in your head maybe?

Love and light x

CryWolf

« Reply #30 on: June 20, 2018, 07:58:37 PM »

Hope all went well with your exams Joe!

You've been heavy on my mind lately Joe, and I apologize if I may have missed some of your posts. How have you been doing?

How is your wife doing with the pain you last mentioned?

I hope all is well, please update us when you can! 
PLEASE - NO RUN MESSAGES
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members may appear frustrated but they are here for constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

JoeBPD81

« Reply #31 on: June 21, 2018, 03:52:22 AM »

Thanks Wolf,

I'm in a bit of a weird place. I managed to focus on the studies, first for my work, then for the degree, and the practical things of the moving, that were stresful and tiring enough, and I avoided conflict ot kept it out of my mind.

I expected a flood of anger right after the moving, but she said we had been all stressed, and not on our best behaviour, and that it was understandable. The fool of me thought I had dodged a bullet, but it came weeks later. First she asked me to apply for my hollydays at work, and when I did, next day she told me it was best if I didn't go with them, and that we have no future, that we don't understand each other, and the whole shebang. We texted back and ford, and I said "anyway, the time for this was yesterday, when I asked for the days at work. So now I'm going."

This "hollyday", like every year, it is our annual try to take the kids to their father. He asks for them, he says he's changed and that he very much wants to connect with them and be in their lives. He's entitled to 90+ days a year with them. So far, he's saw them an average of 5 days a year. Then he kicks them out of their house with a variety of insults, and threats to their mother. Every year is the same.

And of course, the anticipation, and the fact that we can't say no, makes her very nervous. And the kids too, they don't want to talk about it at all, and they don't want to go. And they are hyper active in order not to think, and that makes them very hard to deal with. We got complaints from their teachers, even. That, in turn, makes all of us very on edge.

The misterious illness, remains misterious. It went away after some days. She was taking a heavy dosage of Vitamin D, and maybe it was too much for her anorexic digestive system.

Anyway, the rage hasn't gone too far, so far. I hope we survive this trip, once again.

Thanks for asking.

We are in this together.
Harley Quinn
Retired Staff

« Reply #32 on: June 21, 2018, 12:39:51 PM »

Hi Joe,

Thanks for the update!  I'm glad to hear you managed to get through everything.  Have you had your results?  The trip to the kids' father sounds awful for all of you, especially the kids.  It's no wonder they are acting up.  Is there any way to change the ruling based on the lack of consistency with their father and the stress on the children?  It isn't very healthy for them to be treated that way and to 'have' to go because that's what is ordered.  Would childrens' services step in and have a say?  I'm not sure of the process in your country. 

Given that the trip is going ahead at present, what do you line up for the kids once their father tells them to leave?  Is there something fun and entertaining that you can all do together in the area to salvage the holiday?

Well done for making it through studies, exams and a move, plus a mystery illness and now this annual stressful event looming.  You're certainly resilient!  I hope that you can find ways to get a break and relax when you're away.  You could definitely use a holiday right now.  What would you like to do in the area you're travelling to?  Do some planning to ensure there is something you can look forward to and enjoy, even if it means doing it alone and letting your partner do something she fancies with her time for a few hours.  Restoration Joe.  You could use it.

Love and light x

JoeBPD81

« Reply #33 on: June 23, 2018, 05:40:00 PM »

Hi,HQ, I hope everything is well on your turf.

I have the results for the degree exams and they are very good, way better than expected. The State exam for my job, it can take up to a year to be announced if I passed, it is unbelievable (a computer marks them). Once people pass that exam, they get a raise, so, each month it is delayed, it is a month of savings to the State. I don't think I passed, but I'm not sure. The mark you need to pass depends on all the other applicants.

We are leaving tomorrow for this holliday. We'll spend a week with them before they have to face their dad. So the change is not so sudden.

We consulted an expensive lawyer about changing this deal, and they told us it could change for worse. The visits could be supervised in centers that look like jails. And that there is almost no chance for ending the visits completely. Even with abuse proved by the court psychiatrists, twice! We fought very hard for years. And while we can't change things we aim to make them the least traumatic possible.

It also matters that my Gf's hopes that he changed for real every time, then she is disappointed every time. She keeps not trusting me, while I do more than I promise, but she trusts him after some weeks of not being actively betrayed by him. So, he lies every time he opens his mouth, but after some time of silence, she believes the next thing he says.

I'm kept at arms distance. I live here, but I feel like an annoying visit, more than the guy who pays the bills. Let alone the love of someone or the father, or even a close friend. I'm told often that we have no future, by her. And she says she's leaving, if I'm lucky, only once a month. So I don't feel I have a say. I figure they will be living together forever, but I don't know if I'll be with them for long (even If I want to). So I don't even know how much I want to have a say.

She wants the kids to have all the family they can have. To keep the bridges unburned. And to be able to tell them in the future she did her best to give them a chance to have a bond with their father, and other family members. And she always tried to have the best possible RS with her ex, on what has to do with the kids.
She knows she is not OK, she knows she has BPD, rage issues, trust issues, social issues, suicidal thoughts, and an all consuming eating disorder. So, she knows she might be labeled an unfit mother any day, and she knows she can die, either of Anorexia - heart problems, or of not resisting the urge to throw herself to the subway tracks. Then the kids would have to live with the dad. Or the grand-mother who's not very nice to them either.

The town we go to, it has a lot of bad memories for them, but it's also their town, so they miss a lot of things from there. It's always complicated when we go. Last time it was surprisingly very good. But it is unpredictable. I try to go with an open mind, and lots of patience. I can't have expectations though. I much rather work a double shift than going on this vacation. I've gone about 7 times, as driver, as helper, as support, and I don't get any appreciation. And as much as I'd walk on eggshells I'll get a lot of blaming, a lot of being in the wrong place, and a ton of misunderstandings.

I pray that everything goes better with the kids and the father or granma later, because some weeks without the kids, that would be a blessing. My GF is a new person after 2 days without the stress of the kids, and she remembers she loves me. Problem is, when they come back it is very hard for her, and she feels a crushing guilt for having enjoyed their absence. I've known many kids and I've never seen kids as demanding and uncaring as these too, it is a constant conflict among them, and against any action they are supposed to do or not do, and anything we say-ask-demand.

In the moving, we couldn't count on them to even hold a door open, let alone carry light boxes or bags. The older, almost 12, bigger than my GF, could help a bit, you would think. But instead they fought every minute, they broke things, then unpacked what was already packed... .And complained non stop about how boring the moving was.

We need to remind ourselves every 2 minutes, that they are not skillfully trying to torture us according to a previously conceived plan, because that's what it feels like. We have to cut their hair, because the professionals refuse to do it again, because the kids won't stay still for one second. We don't do a great job as hairdressers either, they look like an epileptic cut their hair.

Tomorrow I will have to drive while they at any given moment will scream, take their own or the brother's seatbelt off, so they can hear the alarm (again and again), fight viciously, or throw things over me. Sounds like I'm describing crazy monkeys, well that's accurate.

We plan fun things with them all the time, not only to compensate this visit. But they try to sabotage each one of them. We buy tickets to an amusement park, they want to stay home and watch TV. Last week I took them to an all you can eat steak restaurant, because they love steak: neither of them ordered a single steak, they drank soda and ate tons of fries, until their bellies hurt (I could have gotten that for 3 bucks at BK). And they were told off by the staff, because they played with food, put their feet on the table, and things like that.

Well, I'm rambling. I'm very tired because at the end of the day, there is no one on my corner. I always have my Gf's back, and I understand her frustration and tiredness. I'm not allowed to show it. And I have to deal with another child in her many times. She told me today, while being with the kids, "I'm very angry at you, because I owe you a big apology and I don't feel like apologizing".

So... .well... .Every day I don't go completely nuts, it is a win. Would I know the day I'm already there? That's a scary thought.

We are in this together.
pearlsw

"Be kind whenever possible, it is always possible"

« Reply #34 on: June 23, 2018, 06:02:01 PM »

Oh Joe,

My heart really breaks for you when I hear all you are contending with! Wow. Those are some crazy monkeys for sure!

We're here. We have your back! I wish you luck on the exam.

I sort of trained my SO to express appreciation by modeling it for him. It's hard at first, but I got lucky and he got better at this in time. It does add a lot to human interaction to not be taken for granted - that's for sure!

Well, if they won't say it, let me: I appreciate that you give a lot to take care of others, especially people with so many troubles. It is kind of you to give so much love. You will surely be rewarded some day - if only by the respect of us here! 

What parts of your life bring you any joy or relief? Are there any?

with deep compassion, pearl.

Walk on a rainbow trail, walk on a trail of song, and all about you will be beauty. There is a way out of every dark mist, over a rainbow trail. - Navajo Song
JoeBPD81

« Reply #35 on: July 03, 2018, 07:55:38 AM »

Thanks a lot Pearl,

It should be so simple a question, there must be some part of your life that brings you joy and/or relief. Looking back at the last 4 years there has been so little of that. I feel now that my goal is that the kids have some joy and relief, and I forget I am a person myself. If I reflect on how unfair the situation is, I get angry at my GF and the kids. And that leads to more frustration and sadness.

I didn't expect any joy on this "hollyday". I got some good moments reading a funny book ("John dies at the end". And some relief because there weren't big arguments between my GF and I. Just the kids being overly ungrateful while we do nothing but things for them, and fighting each other.

My GF was supposed to come back with me and start a job this morning. Instead, she had to stay there while the kids visit their father. That was the role of the granma, but she bailed on us at the last minute. We weren't going to leave the kids at 500Km in the house of a known abuser, without a rescue plan ready.

So she stayed. And I could be so happy thinking I can rest, but I'm not. The last day, she cried a lot, and told me how useless she is, and that she should move back there and beg forgiveness and help from the ex, who is loaded. And how the ex was right when he told her repeatedly she was useless and unemployable, and good for nothing. Then how she can't keep a RS with anyone, how she is so detached from me, how I deserve better, how she doesn't believe I love her, how she doesn't want to trust me and tell me things... .Everything in 30 minutes. When the little kid came to say good morning, I couldn't hold it any more and cried for a long while, scaring the kids a bit. She was surprised, saying she didn't know she was hurting me by saying those things. But she was very worried and regreted hurting me. She was affectionate after that.

We took the kids to their father's home, their birth home. And I drove back to my city. We are waiting all day to have news from the kids. And the oldest is constantly saying he's affraid and he wants to leave that house, and he demands that we do something about it. We can't, not while this guy is being civil with them. Nothing is happening, but he can't take the PTSD and being powerless to change the situation he hates, plus memories, + fear of this guy... .We ask a lot of him, but while he doesn't face this reality, each visit is harder and harder.

My GF is on edge too, very kind one minute and telling me to FFF off the next. So I'm not enjoying my solitude much, as I should. But I'm taking as many small moments as I can. I'm gonna start studying again for a september exam, but I'm gonna take some time off too. Yesterday I did a lot in an evening, It's amazing how many things you can do in a evening, when you don't have kids.

Thanks again.

We are in this together.
pearlsw

« Reply #36 on: July 03, 2018, 08:45:38 AM »

Hi Joe,

Oh, my! I worry about you! I know what it is like to feel like I'm almost invisible in my own life. This weekend my SO's kids are coming and I must admit it feels me with a bit of dread. I used to be more excited about their visits but it just feels like a hurricane that is about to it that I am not prepared for. This year most of the vacation will my SO away with his kids and me away on my own - not the ideal family of my dreams, but I accept this and am working on embracing it.

Do you have any small hobbies or even a meditation practice that could bring you some small comfort? I was meditating in May, but my June schedule was a bit unusual. Now would be a good time to do this again. Or even writing here can help. Smiling (click to insert in post)

Sorry to hear about this stressful visit with her ex.

I don't know if it would work for you, but I wrote out nice things for my SO to say to me. I wonder if you wrote out some such things and gave them to people it might help them key in that you too need something from all of them? I know it might feel forced and even a bit painful, but in my case it worked!  I wonder if you wrote out things like "Thank you!" and "I appreciate you!" and turned it into a game somehow could give them a push in a more loving direction.

I am supposed to write another one out for another issue this week. Instead of him having meltdowns and making threats I explained to him he could just say, "I want to spend more time together." He asked if I could write it for him and has already asked me twice to do it!

Just an idea!   

with deep compassion, pearl.

Walk on a rainbow trail, walk on a trail of song, and all about you will be beauty. There is a way out of every dark mist, over a rainbow trail. - Navajo Song
JoeBPD81

« Reply #37 on: July 06, 2018, 03:23:55 AM »

Hi there,

it's been a hard week. The kids were a couple of days with the father and the older kid kept asking us to rescue him. When we could talk to him, he said everything was fine, he just missed us and prefered to live with us. In his head, as soon as he wanted to leave, he could. When he understood, that unless something important happens he has to be there for a month, or less (only if the father wants them less), he cried all the time, for 4 days straight. (He's 11) It's hard to hear him cry, and not being able to do anything. Yesterday he was better. The younger is taking things better.

I'm away, working, but their mom is close, and they are seeing her, after 2-3 days, they see her everyday for some hours. More ours each day, as the father is getting tired of childcare. (Not even a week there). And the kid is not crying so much anymore. They're feeling better.

I've been alone, but I've not been able to relax and enjoy this week, as I'm worried and waiting for news all day. But I've been able to do some work at home, and to see some friends and my parents. I had a good laught with some old friends. I didn't find the moment  to tell my GF I was seeing them, and I feel bad about it. Now two days later, if I tell her, she will be hurt I didn't just tell her before. She always SAYS she's OK with me meeting friends, but she always has something to say about it that sounds like it's not OK at all. I'm sure you know what I mean. Most of all she thinks I'm going to complain about her non stop, and she gets edgy.

I don't think it will work to model or write things she could say. I did several tries. She gets very proud some times. "I don't follow any man", " I don't like lessons in manners"... .She is very humble in general, and she adknowledges her flaws, and has a less than low self esteem. She can be really sweet, and then... .Be another person.

Anyway, I'm chill today, if I have no bad news, it's gonna be a good day.

We are in this together.
Harley Quinn
Retired Staff

« Reply #38 on: July 06, 2018, 06:41:45 AM »

It's wonderful to hear that you've had a laugh with friends Joe.  Do you think you could stand the discomfort of her complaints and still do that when gf is home?  Maybe once a week?  At a push, once a fortnight?  Could you make it a regular thing that you stick to?  After all, things are difficult however you look at it when the whole family is together.  You need to get that time for yourself and keep those connections up.  It's important. 

Great to read your last sentence especially Joe!  Enjoy it to the max! 

Love and light x

JoeBPD81

« Reply #39 on: July 10, 2018, 03:56:52 AM »

I'll definitelly try to see friends more often.

They introduced me to some neighbors, and it was like "this is the guy I always talk (good things) about... ." meaning me. I was welcome as an honored guest, and pampered.

After that, I've had some up and downs. The down was a conversation about last summer. Her memory is only about the bad part. We had a great break from the kids. But She remembers I was on a sick leave and I didn't take advantage of all the days the doctor gave me, and I went to work instead. She says "you choose your principles over me. I choose to not let that happen again".

I asked at my job for 3 days, for mouth surgery, it was a little more important that I anticipated and the 3rd day it was very swolen and I couldn't sleep, so I said it would taske longer. My doctor gave me the paperwork to justify "up to 15 days". So most people would just take 15 days. I was OK to work after 5 days, and my concience kept telling me that I should be back at work. But I was having such a lovely time with my GF. So I stayed some days more, but I didn't take the 15 days. And My GF took it as abandonment. Not vasluing how much it weighted on me to stretch the sick leave up to that point.

After I said I'd be going back to work, she stopped spending time with me. She was crying and very offended. But after 2-3 days, we still had great days as I only work  mornings. This last part, she doesn't remember. She says it was a "before and after" in our RS after that. As if she didn't choose to not see me almost daily all year round. She said I broke her trust then, and she doesn't want to be with me alone without the kids again.

This was a year ago, and she still gets a hot anger when talking about it. Any pointers?

There were many things in my mind to make that decission to go back to work. None of them meant that I did't want to be with her, that's the thing I want the most. And I prove it all year. She can say "I don't wanna see your face" and it's OK, but if she thinks I don't wanna see her, when it's not true, then I broke her trust forever. How can I take this?

We are in this together.
Harley Quinn
Retired Staff

« Reply #40 on: July 14, 2018, 12:25:22 PM »

I'm delighted to hear that you plan to spend more time with friends.  Joe this is a monumental decision for you and can only bode well for your coping.  Please stick to that.  Do you need to set up the next meet right away and commit it to your diary?

It is hard hearing what comes over as double standards, I know.  I feel for you.  The only thing that worked for me was to not take it in.  This is the way that she views things and you're well aware that JADEing doesn't make anything better.  Aside from her words, how does this belief of hers translate into actions and is it a constant view or transient?

Love and light x

braveSun

Relationship status: married

« Reply #41 on: July 14, 2018, 05:36:59 PM »

After that, I've had some up and downs. The down was a conversation about last summer. Her memory is only about the bad part. We had a great break from the kids. But She remembers I was on a sick leave and I didn't take advantage of all the days the doctor gave me, and I went to work instead. She says "you choose your principles over me. I choose to not let that happen again".

... .So I stayed some days more, but I didn't take the 15 days. And My GF took it as abandonment. Not valuing how much it weighted on me to stretch the sick leave up to that point.

... .She said I broke her trust then, and she doesn't want to be with me alone without the kids again.

This was a year ago, and she still gets a hot anger when talking about it. Any pointers?

There were many things in my mind to make that decision to go back to work. None of them meant that I dind't want to be with her, that's the thing I want the most. And I prove it all year. She can say "I don't wanna see your face" and it's OK, but if she thinks I don't wanna see her, when it's not true, then I broke her trust forever. How can I take this?

Wow, JoeBPD81, I'm sorry you are experiencing this. I am myself going through some very difficult ones with my spouse. I find it's one of the toughest part of being with a person on the BPD/NDP spectrum. Sometimes they can say/believe the darnest things... And as is usually the case, there is a propensity to remember the hurtful events much more than the nice ones. For pwBPD, it's almost rather the hurtful ones. That's part of the order of the disorder. It's her feelings. You picked that up correctly. It's hard to go around that.

That's when I see that applying validating tools, such as

S Sympathy
E Empathy
T Truth

cannot hurt. 

Here I'll try something, and please correct me where it doesn't apply:

Sympathy
You: I hear you don't want to see my face. You seem very upset.
Her: Bla bla bla (shares her feelings and assumptions you've heard a millions times already)
You: ... .only listen... .

Empathy
You: We've talked about this, and I'm thinking more about this. I realize that when we feel we are having a great time together and we know we don't have too many opportunities to have these moments, it's kind of hard to want stop it early for one of us to go to work. I'm sorry I did interrupt that loving time between us.
Her: Expect more difficult emotions, some extrapolations, or not.
You: ... .only listen... .

Truth
You: That day I badly needed to get back to work ASAP. How about scheduling another time off for just the two of us in the next 3 months?
Than listen and adjust if you can. Or drop it and let it go.

Any thoughts?

Open to comments, and please other people join in. Any improvements welcome.

JoeBPD81

« Reply #42 on: July 16, 2018, 03:23:07 AM »

Well,

I told her about my meeting in passing. It was OK. Then she encouraged me to meet with friends while she was away. We weren't sure when she was coming back or the kids, so I didn't set any new meeting. But when she told me the sooner she would come would be Sunday, and it was thursday, I set a dinner at my house on friday.

I had a lot of errands to do that day and I told her. In case it took me some time to answer her. She always takes that I tell her my plans as "don't bother me, I'm busy". So she went radio silent. The few words she told me, she sounded depressed. I didn't know what to tell her, and I really was running from one task to the next.

As my friends were late, and I had a break, I tried to start a conversation. She told me how sad she was, but gradually she seemed to cheer up a little. Then my friends came, and I told her and she stopped texting.

The next day, she was in suicidal mood.

She got the kids back that day, but she was devastated before picking them up. And telling me I was a stranger to her, and that she could never trust me, or feel safe around me.

I got the kid texting me "I love you" "you are really my dad" "I'm super glad I don't have to see my (bio)dad anymore" "I miss you"... .And at the same time, his mom texting me "I don't trust you, we have no future, I have a gut feeling you are sneaking and lying, I'll never feel safe around you... ." And it was breaking my heart. I told her "please, I have (our son) telling me he loves me, and you telling me this... ." and she said "Stop with the blackmail!"

I was very down the whole day. I spoke to the kids a little on the phone. Then I went for a long walk, and I took some pictures at dawn and nigh ones. I felt better.

I told her I wish she was feeling better now that the kids were sleeping in the same house. And she told me "you don't know anything", and later... ."I'm on the night bus, not in bed". She had told me earlier that when she'd come back to (my city) she would go to her mother's house that was empty for the summer, instead of coming home, if her mother was OK with that (I knew she wouldn't).

She would arrive at 5 AM, before the subway opens. So I set up my alarm to pick her up... .She asked me why I was there, and she was crying and with alergy syntoms. We went to sleep separately for some time, and then the crying and isolation went on for half the day. Then she started talking and things got better gradually. By night it was nice.

Today she texted me it was all a mistake and that if she lets me close, she will be sorry later, that she is already sorry for yesterday. And she won't make that mistake again.

So let's see how the day goes.

We are in this together.
braveSun

« Reply #43 on: July 16, 2018, 08:13:19 AM »

I got the kid texting me "I love you" "you are really my dad" "I'm super glad I don't have to see my (bio)dad anymore" "I miss you"... .And at the same time, his mom texting me "I don't trust you, we have no future, I have a gut feeling you are sneaking and lying, I'll never feel safe around you... ." And it was breaking my heart. I told her "please, I have (our son) telling me he loves me, and you telling me this... ." and she said "Stop with the blackmail!"

Man, JoeBPD81, I'm so sorry. It's really a rough place to be in...    

I was very down the whole day. I spoke to the kids a little on the phone. Then I went for a long walk, and I took some pictures at dawn and nigh ones. I felt better.
   It's a very good thing you did connect with the kids, and went out. Being outside for me does goodness when I have these heartbreaking moments. I take pictures too.   Smiling (click to insert in post)

Today she texted me it was all a mistake and that if she lets me close, she will be sorry later, that she is already sorry for yesterday. And she won't make that mistake again.
  I get these too from my spouse sometimes. We've been together for 18+ years, and got married two years ago.   

Tell me if I'm getting this wrong. It seems like your wife is trying to communicate to you her feelings. The way she does that is very difficult to take in because she sort of 'decides' that the relationship cannot work, or is the cause of her feelings. She appears to want to push you away. Yet she wants to talk to you. She wants the nice times with you. To me, if I paraphrase this in BPD language, it looks like she is wanting to tell you that there is so much  pain in her.  If you're a non like me, you don't really know that part too well, so you respond in your own 'regular' way, expecting her to get you  like someone who is not having BPD.  It's invalidating to her that you expect her to relate to you like 'normal', and it's invalidating to you that she responds in the frustrating way she does.

Her guts feelings might only be at the gut levels, and might have more to do with her own difficulties to process her own pain. Like feeling disconnected.  Yet, when things calm down, there is hope again, and because self-soothing is not a skill she might have learned, now she has to take these steps, while you do your own self-care.

If I'm on the right track, that would explain that while there are good, more balanced, nicer moments, there are also discouraging ones. And that you demonstrating the skills for self-soothing and self-care in a more matter of fact, steady way, you sort of set the pace and the tone for the two of you.

It takes patience, and for you to not let her hurtful words get at you. There is a learning curve for the non with this. It's counter intuitive.

Like she might have to vent, and you might have to let that steam out a bit, and possibly start to validate her feelings, not necessarily her conclusions.

I saw that when you told her 'Please,... .the kids', it might have felt placating to her because of that huge pain in her being in the way. Your response might have felt invalidating to her. There is hope for you there, because she talks to you, and you are able to take care of yourself. There are communication tools and skills you can learn here, and if you get involved with the community on these boards, you can find a lot of good support.

Any of this making sense?

JoeBPD81

« Reply #44 on: July 17, 2018, 05:36:52 AM »

Thanks braveSun,

I'm working on all the things you say. When stress is high, I don't have time to adjust or recuperate from the last "blow". My anxiety goes up when I don't know if she is angry, depressed, or holding something agaist me.

She suspects she is bipolar on top of BPD, and Asperger's. Her mood swings seem to be regular, she is very low on waking up, and some days very manic by the end of the day. She dismised her negative words in the evening as "my brain needs to adjust to the new day, and by the evening all the crazy thoughts are mostly gone".

She got a part time job, and I went to pick her up after her 1st day. She was very happy, and she came running and gave me a hug, a long one, in public! She gave me a second one at home.

Hopefully the job will ground her a bit. Give her something to be proud off, and feel she matters. She's been too long job hunting.

She talked very fast for the rest of the day, and she couldn't sleep much. She says she doesn't remember what she did while I was already in bed. And that she went to bed right before I woke up to go to work.

This morning she said: "I don't wanna live like this anymore. Exhausted in the morning, and crazy in the evening. I'll feel better later and blablabla, but each day starts with this horror." Then she went on about not being comfortable at that house, that it is my house, not hers (she chose it, we are renting).

It is very frustrating and disheartening the work it takes to get her in a good mood, just to see it go down the drain the next morning without any change in our lives.

Maybe I shouldn't pay much attention to that, because it will fade away in some hours. But it feels disrespectful not to treat it as important. I know it is real, even as she herself knows she will feel differently later. And it feels real and scary to me, RS ending, sometimes, even though I heard the same coments before. I don't know how to take it well and with some hope.

When I say something, it is mostly JADE, and even when I validate, she finds a way to turn it back to something very negative. When I don't know what else to say, she doesn't like it either. She says she doesn't know me and she never knows what's in my head, when I don't talk much. When she is talkative, I don't get to say much, there are no pauses. Even when I tell a story, I say a line, and she comments it for 5 minutes, to the point I forget what the story was about.

Talking in person, dialogue or group (phone is worse), it feels like a very hostile environment to me. I have a very hard time, I don't like interrupting people (I don't know how), so I mostly listen. That's great for most people, who really like to listen to themselves, but those who want to hear me, they get frustrated. I know it is a big limitation in comunication for me. But I don't know how to improve.

Summing up, I get sad and anxious until things get a little better and she doesn't answer with very negative lines to everything. And I wish I could control my side of things. Show support without panicking.

We are in this together.
braveSun

« Reply #45 on: July 17, 2018, 11:11:04 AM »

Summing up, I get sad and anxious until things get a little better and she doesn't answer with very negative lines to everything. And I wish I could control my side of things. Show support without panicking.

Hey JoeBPD81   

What you are describing sounds like a classic roller coaster ride... When you talk about anxiety, I can relate. I have that too. And it takes work on my part to get myself back to ground zero. It also looks like you are getting caught into a pattern between the two of you.

By reading a bit more on your backstory, I see that you have made some good changes to improve your situation with your partner and the kids. Since the beginning of this thread at least, you've found a new apartment, you've taken that  big exam, you've moved into the new flat, and you tried your best to be there for the kids, amidst the difficulties surrounding their father.  And now another good news. She's got a part time job!

This is a lot of moving things on... And the sum of all these things can add quite a punch of stress between each other for sure. In the least, individually, you are both having to put in a lot of efforts. I can see how a pwBPD, with limited coping abilities, would feel like pulling the switch off. Yet you keep talking and she keeps wavering.

One thing of the top of my mind is, do you have a T to help you navigate these though patches? I cannot afford a T presently, but if I could I would definitely do it, just for myself. For the times I could have it, it was incredibly helpful.

Than I also though about maybe the possibility to find a support group in your city, for loved ones of pwBPD who are in DBT. I know she might not be ready for groups herself, but there is a tremendous feeling of empowerment you can find when being amongst others who struggles these waters just like you. I see this may be available at the clinic where she gets her treatment, or some other practitioner on town.  I did have a small group therapy patch, just a semester. It was awesome for me, because I could really see and feel the way this affected others than me. And because we shared and all of that, but within a gentle structure, and there were exercises to do, and we were accountable to each other with our own recovery plan.

Backing off to the broad picture in your story, JoeBPD81, you've been on these boards for a while now, you're accumulated quite a bit of knowledge, and you've been plowing on diligently through all thick and thin, how do you feel about your journey now, from that new point of view you've acquired?  What would be your next objective now? What needs attention you think?

Here I'll join HQ and really mean for.your.self now. 

I would like to hear also from other people who have been here for a while, what did you do that made a crucial difference at some point, when you got where things got to a calmer and more stable place?

Brave 

JoeBPD81

« Reply #46 on: July 18, 2018, 03:51:52 AM »

Hi there,

thanks a lot for keeping answering my rants.

I tell myself "no wonder things are difficult, we had this and that and that other thing that are strong stressors". But in 4 years, it seems we don't get rid of stressors to choose from every month. So we have to live through them, not wait for an easier life. Same with the kids: "they act up because they just saw their dad, they just had an important test, their birthday is coming, visits alter them... ." There seems to be always a reason for them to act worse than "normal". But normal never comes. THIS is our life.

Nonetheless, I do take into account that we have a lot in our plate, and I praise my GF's coping with all the stress.

Sadly, I don't have a T. I did for a while, my insurance covers 15 sessions a year. Beyond that, I can't afford it. Here in my country you can't call your T after an episode, you just go to your schedulled session, and that's it. In 20 days, we have 40 different fires to put out. So... .These boards are my biggest support.

I'm bound by fear, and I don't like it, but I don't see a solution. If I see people, she assumes I'll be complaining about her, and it's not that she gets mean towards me, the problem is that she gets suicidal. I know she won't act on it, because of the kids, but her depressions are crippling. She is in so much pain. So if I were to go to a T or group to speak about "the trouble she gives me", she'd rather die.

This new job was good news, but then the actual job is a nightmare. Not the job per se. She has a boss that is always screaming and cursing, but at a level we've never seen. Full Metal Jacket style. She hasn't been given any guidelines, but she gets screamed at by making mistakes she couldn't know. With all that, she is already the #1 of her team, getting more results than anybody. But being a victim of violence, this is some stress that she can't take.

I went to pick her up yesterday again, but this time she didn't like it. She was really down at night, and I haven't heard from her today yet. After asking me to not be kind to her, because it hurt that she isn't kind to me, and a lot of crying... .Finally she gave me a hug and thanked me. I hope she's better today... .

We are in this together.
braveSun

« Reply #47 on: July 18, 2018, 08:31:19 AM »

Hi there,

thanks a lot for keeping answering my rants.

I tell myself "no wonder things are difficult, we had this and that and that other thing that are strong stressors". But in 4 years, it seems we don't get rid of stressors to choose from every month. So we have to live through them, not wait for an easier life. Same with the kids: "they act up because they just saw their dad, they just had an important test, their birthday is coming, visits alter them... ." There seems to be always a reason for them to act worse than "normal". But normal never comes. THIS is our life.

Nonetheless, I do take into account that we have a lot in our plate, and I praise my GF's coping with all the stress. 

Yep!... I agree. This is the way it is...    Smiling (click to insert in post)

So... .These boards are my biggest support.

These boards are a blessing for sure... Keep on posting JoeBPD81. The more we interact with other people who have similar experiences, the more we learn, the less lonely it is.

I'm bound by fear, and I don't like it, but I don't see a solution. If I see people, she assumes I'll be complaining about her, and it's not that she gets mean towards me, the problem is that she gets suicidal. I know she won't act on it, because of the kids, but her depressions are crippling. She is in so much pain. So if I were to go to a T or group to speak about "the trouble she gives me", she'd rather die. 

This is a though situation to be in. I get it. You can't quite lose the focus on her and go on about your day without fears something might come up. While you can't change what she's going to do or say, you can change something about you to help you manage those high anxiety times better. I am struggling with that myself.  It's important for us to carve small moments of self-care throughout our days. To come back to ground base.

I've done some guided meditations for that, some mindfulness and breathing exercise. There are apps you can download that offer some interesting approaches with mind-body connectivity. I like somatic mindfulness a lot. Any type of meditation that helps me ground myself has helped a lot. You can search 'somatic meditation' online and see what comes up.

Other people prefer to get physical regularly, like cleaning the house/yard. Or to workout, take walks. Or to go outside by nature a lot more. Taking pictures...

Any methods are good.

Harley Quinn
Retired Staff

« Reply #48 on: July 20, 2018, 05:37:54 AM »

Hi Joe.

I'm here to gently remind you that taking care of your needs and working on yourself BENEFITS your gf and the kids. You will be in a calmer place, more centred and able to handle things that are going to come up more effectively for all of you. You doing work on how you're affected by all of this can make life easier for you and in turn them.

Your gf will not see it this way, as her fears will take over, but you are the emotionally healthier person and it is up to you to lead the way on what normal looks like. If she threatens suicide take appropriate steps. That does not include curbing the healthy activity you plan for yourself.  In order for things to shift in your situation there is required a shift in yourself. You've already shown yourself how much benefit spending time with friends has for you. Commit to this and consider any ways to access therapy or a support group, as bravesun has suggested. These positive things for you are a priority. The rest will go on anyway. It can't be avoided.  :)ig deep Joe. You can do this.

Love and light x

pearlsw

« Reply #49 on: July 20, 2018, 09:37:49 AM »

Hey Joe

I don't have much to add. Having a not so happy day myself, but I am hoping it might pick up later - but I am clear it will only be better if I work my butt off to make it be better and be happy despite... .guess what? Another break up threat and now the silent treatment. While I am away. On vacation. In another country. And sick. So, of course.

So, here are some virtual       for you! And a reminder that you do matter and you are a great guy!

take care, pearl. 

JoeBPD81

« Reply #50 on: July 23, 2018, 03:41:17 AM »

Thanks guys,

I know, I know... .I feel it's like a Tetris game. If I rest my eyes for a minute, I'll be playing better after, but in that minute, blocks keep falling and the game might be over.

Also, I'm not very social, the 2nd time I saw these friends, they were tired, and it wasn't that great, so the cost was too high later, when she was so down.

I kept at it though. I had lunch with another friend last week.

Another down-side is that it makes me realize how much I miss my GF as a friend too, just chatting without drama. You know?

Anyway, thanks a lot, you keep me in check.

BTW, best of luck, Pearl. Wow!

We are in this together.
Harley Quinn
Retired Staff

« Reply #51 on: July 28, 2018, 08:19:39 AM »

That's it Joe.  Persist in doing these things, even if sometimes it isn't what you'd hope in terms of payoff versus the repercussions.  It's all about breeding positive habits that you're less likely to break than one off ideals.  Once you have something regular that is just for you, you will begin to notice the benefits outweighing the negatives. 

As you've described, times will always be challenging.  That's life.  What we must do is make that commitment to ourselves to take some time for ourselves out of all the chaos and drama in order to just be.  That's it.  Just be.  So your lunch with your friend and even meeting up with tired friends for not such a great time is Joe just being Joe.  You are entitled to and more importantly deserve to just be for some of the time.  And build upon that. 

What is important to you aside from your r/s?  What do you wish you could do that doesn't revolve around your family at home?  Baby steps.  Just spend a little time thinking on that.  What dreams have you parked along the way?

Love and light x

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest