Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
March 28, 2024, 09:35:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
How to communicate after a contentious divorce... Following a contentious divorce and custody battle, there are often high emotion and tensions between the parents. Research shows that constant and chronic conflict between the parents negatively impacts the children. The children sense their parents anxiety in their voice, their body language and their parents behavior. Here are some suggestions from Dean Stacer on how to avoid conflict.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Just got an email  (Read 354 times)
lotus74

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: Married 5 years

« on: April 19, 2018, 07:24:08 PM »

My uBPDh just sent me an email.  We have been separated for just over a week now.  His email was very sweet and empathetic.  He is acting very mature, reasonable and how I always wanted him to be while in the relationship.  Why do they get their s*** together when it is over?  Why couldn't he be as understanding and rational while we were in the midst of a crisis or f*** the crisis, just in everyday life?  I'm so heartbroken... .so sad.  I know that this is probably some tactic.  He always has a motive behind his actions.  I just want so badly to believe that this is the man that I have loved all along.  But I know that it is not.  I'm not sure how to respond or if I should.  He wants to divide our things and promises not to come to the house without my consent.  He says he will not ask for anything from the house that would cause a hardship on me.  He says he understands my position and that he agrees with me when I told him he should work on himself and I need to work on me.  The desire to talk to him is so great right now.  To have him hold me and tell me that he loves me.  I will not cave to these feelings, but it's just so hard.
Jeffree

Relationship status: divorce

Encourage Mint

« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2018, 07:29:44 PM »

That's a tough one for sure, but I presume you've seen similar behavior like this from him before.

What do you fear he can be up to?

J

"Live as if your life depended on it." ~ Werner Erhard
lotus74

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2018, 08:34:19 PM »

I guess I'm worried that this behavior is some type of emotional manipulation.  To try to reel me back in.   To try to inspire a ray of hope that doesn't really exist.  To make me remember how charming and sweet he can be at times. 
lotus74

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2018, 08:42:38 PM »

Or that he is setting me up for something.
Cromwell
`

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2018, 05:56:11 AM »

have you responded to it?

I often felt when I got the same it was a way of soothing for my partner, almost as if the fact I would respond would bring upon a relief that "oh, i was important enough to respond to, he still cares, and then what she did could become rationalised and diminished to think that what she did wasnt that bad after all, if it were, I wouldnt be interested in talking to her".

It basically told her she wasnt abandoned or discarded, and that brought about a relief where the ball was in her corner again. she could continue on with the mind set that "we are still on talking terms, but now i choose not to talk to him for awhile, he never told me to get lost, so his number is there should I choose to call upon his services in the future".

something along those lines. like a child craving for attention, wether for negative or positive, as long as it gets attention and isnt abandoned, it doesnt care either way.
Skip
Site Director

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2018, 08:02:08 AM »

He wants to divide our things and promises not to come to the house without my consent.  He says he will not ask for anything from the house that would cause a hardship on me.  He says he understands my position and that he agrees with me... .

It's a reasonable communication. Right? He's amping things down.

If you are ready to hang it up, you should say thanks, I will try to make this easy for you, too.

But you're not saying that. Why? You say fear of a bear trap (and we get that), but "thanks, I will try to make this easy for you, too" via email is pretty safe.

Are you feeling this is over? Or are you fighting to be heard?

Hard question, I know. And important one, though.

Ex2BPD

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2018, 08:53:12 AM »

Are you feeling this is over?

Lotus,
This is such a salient question, asked by Skip.

Frankly, I was so addicted to the physical attraction between my ExBPD and myself that I couldn't be on the same block with him without Totally caving --- one more ride on the merry go round!

So many, many times (especially when initiated by a BPD ) I imagine the "you need to come get your things/I need to come get my things" scene turns into a scene reminiscent of that slo-mo movie where two people are running toward each other through a flower field, arms outstretched.

Can you Actually 'see' this playing out between yourself and your former lover? How do you greet him? With a hug, a snarl, a flip comment, reconciliation? In your mind's eye how are you making small talk? As he leaves are you more sad (because this is about taking care of your needs and feelings -- not his... .) 

How does it really end? Call me a cynic, but I see a manipulation in the wings -- now or two days from now.

I wish you happiness - for yourself, through yourself.
Lucky Jim

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2018, 11:34:51 AM »

Hey lotus74, I suggest avoiding any knee-jerk response by pausing for as long as it takes for you to formulate a response that is right for you.  It could take 24 - 48 hours, or longer.  At some point, if you wait for the water to clear, I predict the answer will come to you.

LJ

A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
George Bernard Shaw
Skip
Site Director

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2018, 11:48:34 AM »

avoiding any knee-jerk response by pausing for as long as it takes... .

Good advice.

lotus74

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2018, 09:30:24 PM »

Thanks Lucky Jim

That was great advice.  I gave myself a day or so and emailed him back.  Since then it's been crickets... .no response so far.  I started packing up his things.  He recommended a divorce lawyer that only deals in uncontested divorces.  Says he hasn't hired anyone.  I will call the lawyer this week.  It's my daughter's 16th birthday this week.  I just want it to be a chill, relaxing birthday for her, where she doesn't have to worry that her step-dad will dis her friends it they aren't "friendly" enough or don't think he is the most funny, talented, intelligent... .etc.  person they have ever met. 
Lucky Jim

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2018, 10:17:46 AM »

Glad to hear, lotus74, that you found my post useful.

Agree, it will be good for your daughter to have a drama-free birthday.

Sounds like you are finding the path that is right for you.

LJ

A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
George Bernard Shaw
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest