Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 24, 2024, 03:34:50 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Books members most read
The High
Conflict Couple
Loving Someone with
Borderline Personality Disorder
Loving the
Self-Absorbed
Borderline Personality
Disorder Demystified

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Love Bombing: Learning Way Too Late in the Game  (Read 690 times)
Jeffree

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Relationship status: divorce

Encourage Mint

« on: June 01, 2018, 03:57:03 PM »

I just Googled "love bombing and two great articles from Psychology Today popped up.

1) Love Bombing: A Narcissist's Secret Weapon

2) The Danger of Manipulative Love-Bombing in a Relationship

Boy, the situations they describe fit the courtship by my ex to a T. I fell for it hook, line, and sinker.  

Damn it!

J

"Live as if your life depended on it." ~ Werner Erhard
Harley Quinn
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

I am exactly where I need to be, right now.

« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2018, 06:39:45 AM »

Hi Jeffree,

What did you learn if anything about what made you susceptible to love bombing?

I read the articles and in the second I thought that this section was helpful for future reference:

Excerpt
If you fear that you may be in the early phase of a love bombing attack, picture that you are at railroad crossing with a locomotive barreling down the tracks. The warning sign there is true here as well: Stop. Look. Listen.

Stop: Slow things down. Have a talk and say: “I really love everything about you, but let’s slow things down a bit, it’s moving too fast, and I’m a bit scared of that.”

Look: Actions speak louder than words. If his words and actions are not in sync, that’s a big red flag.

Listen: Listen carefully to what he says, and don’t be afraid to challenge the assertions. If he says: “We will be perfect together,” reply: “Well it’s early, but so far, so good.”

Also, remember that love bombers hate to be challenged, and a snarky reply to any of your comments above is another warning.

For myself the fear has been there about how to make the distinction between someone who is just a bit over the top romantic or someone with a PD.  Having stop, look, listen is useful to refer to as it's easy to remember and I plan to keep this one in the toolbox!

When you read the section on how to be less of a target for love bombing, did you find any areas of opportunity for yourself to protect yourself from this in the future? 

Love and light x

We are stars wrapped in skin.  The light you are looking for has always been within.
Jeffree

Relationship status: divorce

Encourage Mint

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2018, 05:54:07 PM »

When you read the section on how to be less of a target for love bombing, did you find any areas of opportunity for yourself to protect yourself from this in the future?

Just knowing it's a thing and that it more than likely will lead to BIG trouble down the line are important reminders.

Knowing it's an unhealthy dynamic is one thing, but it's an entirely different thing for me to stop, look, and listen through unbiased lenses and truly see things for what they are, AND take appropriate action if I don't like what I am seeing.

I tend to see things as workable, possible, hopeful, and assume that the other person is tethered to reality like I am. They responded positively to me, have said nice and reasonable things, and seem to have their stuff together. Nice things feel nice. Who wouldn't prefer to experience niceness?

However, there are bad, manipulative, selfish people out there who are only putting up a front, and I don't know how to tell the difference... .at least I don't think I know how to do that (though I have not had to do so since my ex left back in Aug.).

J

"Live as if your life depended on it." ~ Werner Erhard
Harley Quinn
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

I am exactly where I need to be, right now.

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2018, 03:23:52 PM »

I tend to see things as workable, possible, hopeful, and assume that the other person is tethered to reality like I am. They responded positively to me, have said nice and reasonable things, and seem to have their stuff together. Nice things feel nice. Who wouldn't prefer to experience niceness?

I know what you mean.  I'd never pursued a man and had been pretty used to being treated well at the start of a r/s, although some of these had turned toxic admittedly.  Was there a point at which you felt that the niceness was maybe a bit too nice?  Like uncomfortably so, or just a bit overwhelming/unrealistic? 

Looking back, for myself, I can honestly say it was around the time he sent me a photo of something almost invisible folded into his birth certificate.  I had to blow up the shot to see that it was a hair.  One of my hairs which he'd taken from the car seat one day in the early stages.  He panicked right away and said "I've creeped you out, haven't I?" to which I responded "No, not at all.  It's quite endearing that you're a soppy so and so... ."  Of course, in reality it was a bit cringe worthy... .

My learning?  Be true to myself and listen to my instincts.  Don't put someone else's feelings above my own.  As quickly as I'd soothed his panic, we moved into another stage of love bombing which hooked me and I all but forgot about the hair in the birth certificate.  There had been my opportunity to really assess what I was getting into.  Had I known then what I know now.  Everything moved too fast and was too intense.  The way I see it, this had to happen for me to acquire the knowledge I have now in order to protect myself in the future.  What are your thoughts on that?

Love and light x   

We are stars wrapped in skin.  The light you are looking for has always been within.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest