Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 18, 2024, 07:53:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
How to communicate after a contentious divorce... Following a contentious divorce and custody battle, there are often high emotion and tensions between the parents. Research shows that constant and chronic conflict between the parents negatively impacts the children. The children sense their parents anxiety in their voice, their body language and their parents behavior. Here are some suggestions from Dean Stacer on how to avoid conflict.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: First verbal threat of physical harm  (Read 856 times)
Woodchuck

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: Married

« on: October 31, 2018, 01:17:09 PM »

Last night, my W was concerned that she had not heard from our S14 who was on a field trip.  He had already let us know he would be home late.  I sent him a message asking why he had not responded to his mom's messages.  He said that he had.  I relayed that to her and told her that I highly doubted he was lying.  This made her angry and she stated that she had not received any message and that he did not answer when she called.  While we were discussing the issue, my S14 sent me a message with a screenshot of all the messages that he had sent to her.  I showed this to her and she became enraged.  I attempted help her figure out why she did not get the messages but this only made her more angry and she told me to leave her alone and get away from her or she would beat me up.  I know that this is technically a crime but I do not want to escalate things to that level at this point.  My D11 was present at the time.  I spoke with her later as well as my S14 and discussed with them that it is not ok to threaten to hurt someone and that if they receive a threat like that from anyone, including me, that they need to bring it to the attention of someone they trust right away.  I am not scared of her or anything that she would try to do to me.  I am sure that she could harm me if she wanted to but I also believe that I could defend myself.  I am trying to determine the best way to move forward and keep everyone, including her, safe. 

Woodchuck
takingandsending

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Married, 15 years; together 18 years

« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2018, 04:23:00 PM »

Be very cautious, WC.

Even though you can protect yourself, if you are bigger than she is, it can easily appear as if you are the danger. As long as you are together in the same house, you may want to adjust your responses to not directly invalidate her, even though she is clearly not perceiving reality. Something like, "I can see you are concerned. I will text son. Oh, he thinks he has texted you. Have you checked your phone recently? Sounds like a mix up." Or simply don't respond if you feel she is baiting you. Doubting S14 was lying implies she is lying.

Consider recording yourself as things get are escalating, so that if it devolves into physical altercation, you can prove you were acting in self defense.

Turkish
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Other
Relationship status: "Divorced"/abandoned by SO in Feb 2013; Mother with BPD, PTSD, Depression and Anxiety: RIP in 2021.

Dad to my wolf pack

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2018, 01:38:01 PM »

Sometimes texts don't get recieved.  My boss gave me a hard time a few months ago.  He showed me his sent message.  I showed him that I didn't receive it.  I agree that implying she was lying set her off. 

“For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.” ― Rudyard Kipling
formflier
Retired Staff

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2018, 06:59:36 PM »

I am trying to determine the best way to move forward and keep everyone, including her, safe. 

Stop invalidating her... .that would take care of most of it.

Rather than proving things... ask her directly if she wants help solving this (wait for answer).

Perhaps validate that technology is frustrating... .not to mention 14 year olds.

I'm not suggesting that her implying physical harm is ever ok.  I am suggesting that I'm not in the least bit shocked that she said this after so much invalidation... .

Invalidation is HUGE

https://bpdfamily.com/content/communication-skills-dont-be-invalidating

Personal experience.  While I was invalidating my wife her paranoia went from me looking at women... to meeting them... to sex... .to marriage... .to out of wedlock children  (yes... she believed I married another woman).

I would "prove" each of her claims wrong... .and then next claim would come back bigger and worse.  Once I removed invalidation... things slowly got better. 

I'm still not that good at validation... .I'm ok at validating questions... .  all of that helps.  But it's not even close to the impact that removing invalidation from your relationship will have.

FF

ForeverDad
Retired Staff

Relationship status: separated 2005 then divorced

You can't reason with the Voice of Unreason...

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2018, 08:44:43 PM »

Even if she would let you look at her phone, she could still say, "Later" and then delete the challenged texts before letting you look.  So I agree, this can be a situation she won't let you or the probable truth win.

As for threats, one truism shared here is... .if it has been threatened or even just contemplated, then it will happen, given enough time.

So many here, before thing s got bad, believed that our ex-spouses would never lie to police, court, etc about serious things concerning us.  But it did happen all too often.  There is no Low too low for a riled, vengeful or Blame Shifting spouse.  That was a wake-up call to face reality.  So be forewarned, 'never' is a belief lost a long time ago for many members here.

formflier
Retired Staff

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2018, 07:41:20 AM »

As for threats, one truism shared here is... .if it has been threatened or even just contemplated, then it will happen, given enough time.

And given enough fuel on the fire.

We only control the fuel we dump on it (invalidation... etc etc) and I would suggest that all of the pwBPD have a great ability to dump fuel on their own fires (therefore don't need our help).

Crossing lines is an important thing to think about.  She has now crossed a line with threats, it won't be so hard for her next time.

All isn't lost because of one threat, but you do need to be aware there are many... many more mines in the minefield than you ever expected.

Hang in there WC.

FF

Woodchuck

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2018, 10:05:18 AM »

I am not sure if she took what I was saying as implying that she was lying.  Regardless, that was not my intent.  My intent was to show trust in our son, thus the statement that I didn't think he was lying.  To me all that implies, is that he was trying and something went wrong.  She is well aware that texts do not always go through.  There have been several discussions about that in the past.  Regarding invalidating her, my biggest concern was about protecting my son from her 'rage'.  He is an honest and responsible kid and does not deserve the way his mom treats him most of the time.  He tries very very hard to gain her trust and approval and has spoken out many times about how frustrating it is to him that she does not trust him at all.  If she wants to make false accusations against me or accuse me of anything, that is one thing, but the constant attacking of the kids and not being nice or kind to them much at all is going too far.  That very same night, she was screaming at my daughter to pick up her things she had left around.  When my daughter entered the room to pick up her things, she told her mom that she didn't feel like she was being very nice to her.  That just led to more verbal attacks, blaming my D11 for the screaming since she had been irresponsible and left her things laying around.  The behavior is just plain wrong and no amount of invalidation in the past has quelled it at all.  I believe that I need to stand up for the kids in these kinds of scenarios.  Could I be validating to my W and talk about how frustrating it is that the kids leave stuff around or do this or don't do that?  Yes, I could and I have in the past to the point of exhaustion and it makes no difference whatsoever.  It is the same story with her working.  She is 'exhausted' every day from working an 8 hour shift.  I have been working 10 hour shifts for years and have received no empathy or validation for any of that.  Instead it is all about her and how tired she is.  Not to mention that the 8 hours that she is working is only contributing to her savings account and not helping out with any of the financial responsibilities.  Validating does not seem to work with her at all and I feel like one can only put so much in without seeing any results.  What makes it even more difficult is she is a completely different person to virtually everyone outside the family, validating and appreciating them to the point where it just makes me sick because it is so fake.  I apologize as I know a lot of this is just venting as I am very frustrated with where things are at and feel cornered and stuck. 

WC
formflier
Retired Staff

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2018, 11:06:38 AM »

Regarding invalidating her, my biggest concern was about protecting my son from her 'rage'.

The behavior is just plain wrong and no amount of invalidation in the past has quelled it at all. 

I believe that I need to stand up for the kids in these kinds of scenarios. 

Hey WC... .I know this is frustrating and it is wrong.  No doubt about it.

I'm concerned that you are mixing concepts or don't really understand the POWER of invalidation. 

Think of invalidation as fuel... .or even worse... fuel vapor...

Think of her as an open flame.  (now... .she shouldn't be an open flame... it's not right that she is an open flame and you didn't make her an open flame... yet... .she is)

Your son is on your fuels team.  Two choices

He can approach her with his fuel container and the lid off... .and vapor going everywhere.

or

He can put an approved lid on the fuel and approach her...

Which scenario is going to work out better?

If you are interested in protecting your son... .which of those two choices is going to work out better?  I get it... you want other choices and someday you may have them... .or you may not.

How is fuel vapor analogous to invalidation?

Do you understand fuel vapor and it's danger? (wink wink nod nod)

Do you understand invalidation and it's danger?  (yep... please give me a short sentence or two)

And... .FF bonus question

Why is JP 5 safer than JP 4 or 8.?  How does this analogy apply to this discussion about your wife?

FF

Woodchuck

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2018, 01:37:00 PM »

FF- First, I need to correct what I wrote in a previous post.  The part that you quoted should have read 'no amount of validation in the past has quelled it at all'.  While I can appreciate and understand the fuel analogy, I have a huge problem with my W 'choosing' to have an 'open' flame with my children.  It is just not right, especially when I consider how hard both of the kids work to gain her approval, trust etc.  To go along with the fuel and fire analogy, she seems to be like a flame thrower, spewing her fire everywhere and blaming everyone else for not having their 'approved lids' on.  If she wants to do that with me, great, I can handle it.  If she wants to treat the kids like that, that is not and never will be ok with me.  The whole text message thing was, in my opinion, based on things she has said and done, an attempt to prove that he was being irresponsible and should not be allowed to go anywhere without her.  We are talking about a kid that is a straight A student, in multiple advanced classes in high school, did not want to go to homecoming because of all the 'knuckleheads there making stupid decisions', and the list goes on and on.  He deserves to be trusted.  He deserves to be able to start to spread his wings and take advantage of experiences without his mother breathing down his neck.  He already has a bad complex about not being trusted, which I have to consistently 'invalidate' and tell him that he is trustworthy.  In my opinion, my son does a very good job for the most part of 'keeping a lid on it' but everyone has a breaking point and his mother is very very good and pushing people to and past their breaking points. 

I am very aware of how dangerous fuel vapor is, that has been my bread and butter for 20+ years.

I also understand invalidation and it's danger.  Along with that, I also understand that everyone has limits.  I have bent over backwards attempting to be validating in spite of all the crap I get in return.  In regards to this specific instance, it could and in my opinion should be validating to see that he is being responsible. 

JP8 is actually safer than either JP4 or JP5 due to having a higher flash point etc. 

WC
takingandsending

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2018, 03:32:26 PM »

Hi WC.

I get what you are saying, and I'd defend the kids in those types of situations as well. Just don't go looking for a fight when your kids aren't there.

And I get bending over backwards to validate your spouse. I don't recommend that, and quite probably, you may have validated the invalid, anyway, just trying to placate her. I definitely don't recommend that.

The idea is to validate the valid. She is having a feeling (fear, worry, or anger). It's valid. She is feeling it. Saying, I doubt son is not texting you is okay to say as your truth, but saying it with the timing that you mentioned will be experienced by her as invalidating her feeling. It is possible to use SET. Don't waste a ton of energy on it. Just a simple, "I see that you are upset, and I'd be upset if I thought son was not texting he was going to be late. I see that he has texted me, and I trust him." End of story. No further discussion. If she wants to engage or threaten you, you express your truth, "I see that you feel I am ganging up on you. I am not. I will not accept threats or violence." Then, leave. All of these approaches remove her fuel. Her fire will die out. Again, don't kill yourself doing this stuff. Brief, and firm works. You don't invalidate your own truth. You don't validate what's not valid - that son is not to be trusted. I think that may prevent things escalating.

takingandsending

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2018, 03:36:15 PM »

Thing is, by bending over backwards to validate her, even when it has been invalid, you have built up a lot of resentment (understandably). And it appears that you may be wanting to fight the injustices of her toward you and your kids. I don't recommend that approach while you are still living under the same roof. There's a difference between agreeing to all she says, and holding your boundaries with firm communication.

formflier
Retired Staff

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2018, 04:46:00 PM »

I have a huge problem with my W 'choosing' to have an 'open' flame with my children.  

If you think this is a choice that she can turn on and off when she wants... .that point of view isn't going to take you to a good place.

I also want to temper it by saying she likely does have some control, although that varies with a number of factors.

Big picture thing... .is BPD a choice you wife is making?

FF

Lastbreath

« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2018, 06:14:04 PM »

You sound a lot like myself.  You seem truly kind, thoughtful and rational which in this sense rationality is your worst enemy.  Rational thought and believing my uBPDw was capable of the same thought is what led me down this dark hole I'm in now.

I just want to say... .I'm a guy who's been married 24yrs to my uBPDw.  Things have gotten really out of control very quickly.  Mine also seems to have stemmed from invalidation.  I recently lost my father which turned out to be a life changing event in which I grossly underestimated the devastating effect that his death would have on me.  I was not the best version of myself being overtaken by grief and battling the onset of depression related to my loss.  I was not the patient, well thought out validating person I had been previously as I was unable to put her needs before mine as I was in a bad spot myself.  

Long story short... .uBPDw planned a horrific, dramatic end to our r/t.  She fabricated the most hurtful, elaborate accusation telling police that I punched, choked, and kicked her repeatedly while making herself appear as the innocent victim.  This has been nearly 3 weeks ago and he shows no sign of letting up.  Things just continue to worsen.  I'm $17k in the hole for attorneys and my family seems to be dissolving before my very eyes with nothing in my power to stop this avalanche of chaos.

So my words as simple.  Be cautious!  Be very, very cautious!  Protect yourself even when you don't perceive it to be necessary.  At minimum I might make a statement to the police about your incident of her verbal threat but tell police you're not interested in pursuing charges at this time but would rather there be a note recording such an event had occurred.  Protect yourself and your kids because once pandora's box is open you'll wish you had been more vigilant.  Good luck my friend.  I'm praying for you and your family.
Woodchuck

« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2018, 05:55:47 AM »

Truth is that I am completely exhausted.  I do not want to do this any longer.  I do not want a relationship with her beyond what is necessary for the kids.  I do believe that she has a significant amount of control and that is what makes things extremely frustrating.  Hearing her talking to her coworkers and friends on a daily basis and being a completely different person towards them than she is towards her own family is extremely difficult to deal with.  I have asked her to leave on multiple occasions, the most recent after she told me that our relationship was dead.  Her response is always something to the effect of she is not leaving because there might be a day where I will decide to change and be the person I should be.  She also suggested that I leave and move in with a coworker.  That would mean that I would have limited access to the kids and would be paying the mortgage for the house for her to live in while she is working full time and not contributing a dime.  It would also mean that I would need to shut down my home based business that I have been building for years. 
Speaking of death and it affecting people, we had to put a pet down last Friday.  It had been in our family for 17 years.  'We' also had to put down another pet a few months ago that had also been in the family for the same amount of time.  With the first one, my W took it to the vet and had it put down without any warning or allowing the kids to say goodbye.  It was having kidney failure and it was a good idea to have it put down but the kids, especially my D11, were not happy at all that my W had just gone out and done that without including them.  When my W was taking the cat to the vet last week, I told her that she needed to let the kids know if she was going to put the cat down.  She told me she had no intentions of putting the cat down but she ended up calling my S14 about an hour later telling him that she was putting the cat down and that if they wanted to say goodbye, they had better make it quick.  Now I am being vilified for 'making the kids feel like they should go and say goodbye to their pet and that it is cruel and unkind to make them have that be their last memory with the cat'.  Is it not normal to want to say a final goodbye whether it be an animal or a person? 
Finally, last night, she asked me what I wanted and I told her what I need is an apology for all the various hurtful things she has said in recent months, such as:
I would be relieved if you were dead
I don't claim to love you
and the list goes on and on.
I woke up to a hand written note this morning telling me that she is in fact not sorry that she said anything that was hurtful, that it was my choice to take it that way and that she was justified in everything she said because it was meant to elicit change and make me a better person, wake me up, etc.  As I said in the beginning of this post, I am exhausted.  I do not know how much more I can take.  I just want her to go live her life and let me live mine.

WC
formflier
Retired Staff

« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2018, 07:05:00 AM »

Truth is that I am completely exhausted.  I do not want to do this any longer. 

I do not want a relationship with her beyond what is necessary for the kids. 

I do believe that she has a significant amount of control and that is what makes things extremely frustrating. 

'We' also had to put down another pet a few months ago that had also been in the family for the same amount of time.  With the first one, my W took it to the vet and had it put down without any warning or allowing the kids to say goodbye. 

WC

Hang in there man... .

I'm going to encourage you to consider a few things.

Is debating her staying or going or your staying or going needed for the kids?  (therefore... .?)

Is invalidation needed for a relationship that revolves around your wife? (therefore... ?)

What is the difference in the relationship between you and the coworkers that she seems to have a relationship with that you envy?

The pet thing sucks.  I'm so sorry.  I've seen a similar arc play out in my relationship with my wife.   Pets came and went but it was a together thing until BPD showed up... .actually a couple years after it showed up.

The last death was of a beloved bunny we were going to show at the fair next summer.  Bunny was still young, and while we knew they were "fragile as pets" (meaning they die a lot) we somehow thought it wouldn't happen to us.

Well... .it happened... it was a shock.  I expressed interest in doing a "together" funeral... she seemed to agree.  I wanted to be in as good a spirits as possible so I did some work on my back (stretching followed by hot bath) and just as I was starting my hot bath my wife "burst" into the room... .announced the funeral was happening right now if I wanted to be part of it... .and "hopped" out of the room.

I said I would be out soon, but I doubt she heard me.  Whatever they did... they did.

I expressed shock and disappointment and went on with life... without getting involved in circular or other reasoning that she was right and I was wrong... bad... .or other stuff.

It sucks... .it really does.  She and everyone else understands that doesn't work for me... .and no more bunnies  (there is a basic understanding of no more pets added... )

I can generally explain that my wife has a big emotional thing... .ruminates which makes it worse... .and that's who she is.  Me expecting her to behave like someone she is not... is unwise

Perhaps she will change in the future... perhaps not. 

Back to you and your story.  I'll leave you with a question. 

Do you appreciate it or otherwise feel better when your wife "tears you down"/talks through your faults?

FF

Notwendy

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent

« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2018, 07:12:58 AM »

Woodchuck- there is a saying "don't go to the empty well to get a drink of water". I see from your posts how much you wish your wife to understand your point of view, to apologize to you, to want you to have a birthday be your day.

First of all- getting an apology from a person with a PD is nearly, and may be, impossible.

When people dysregulate, they can say some terrible things. Whether or not they mean them, it is best to not take them too personally. They come from a place of "victim mode" and in the moment are designed to hurt back. In my experience, the pwBPD may not even recall what they said in those moments.

This doesn't mean you forget them but stop keeping this list of things that you want her to acknowledge and apologize for. For these things, her "well" is empty. This is probably not in her emotional makeup to do so.

Yes, she will act differently with her co-workers and acquaintances. Stop taking this personally. This is an aspect of BPD- it affects the most intimate relationships more and a high functioning person may have a different persona in public. This isn't about you- you just happen to be in the intimate partner position.

You may be done with this marriage - and so can take steps to deal with that decision. Not taking your wife's disordered behavior as personally doesn't change your choices, but it may help you keep your self esteem and a clearer head in the process.  
formflier
Retired Staff

« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2018, 07:35:48 AM »

When people dysregulate, they can say some terrible things. 

Notwendy,

Might be a good time to give your perspective on life with a high functioning pwBPD and a low functioning pwBPD.  My understanding is you have some background with both.

Which one was "easier" to see and understand?

Which one did you find yourself questioning yourself about more?

FF

formflier
Retired Staff

« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2018, 07:36:45 AM »

A saying I've been reminding myself of... .

"Don't expect "gallon" love from a "pint" person... .

FF

Woodchuck

« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2018, 08:38:21 AM »

I believe that at least in part what is making things more difficult now is the fact that the night that we put the cat down, she came to my room crying and laid in bed next to me.  This is after months of pushing me away if I would try to hug her and refusing to have anything to do with me.  My first inclination was to tell her to get out, she doesn't want or need me to do anything for her and I am just an a$$hole etc.  I could not make this path right in my head so I put my arms around her and tried to comfort her.  There was virtually no response and a few hours later she got up and left.  I felt empty and confused.  Months of being pushed away, a brief 'moment' of 'closeness' and right back to being pushed away.  This 'broke' me in a way that I cannot explain. 

I do not expect her to apologize for anything but if she asks me what I need, I feel like I need to tell her what I believe I need.  Saying the kinds of things that she says is one thing.  Everyone, BPD, nonBPD all say things that are mean and hurtful.  Where it really hurts though is when the person states that they are NOT sorry.  Not apologizing it bad enough, but specifically saying you are not sorry and that whatever was said was well deserved is significantly more hurtful and damaging. 
It is extremely difficult to not focus on many of the things that she has said because they are repeated quite often.  The few that I mentioned are the 'big rocks' that I cannot figure out how to 'forget'.  The ones that bother me the most are the 'I don't need you', 'I don't want you to do anything for me' etc.  Those are said in response to be trying to be kind, loving, supportive etc as she has requested. 
Regarding not taking anything personally, I can do that to an extent, but it is extremely difficult having her come home virtually every day and immediately get on the phone with a coworker or someone from her office and hear the supportive, empathetic, happy conversations and then have her switch to 'family mode' if she decides to come out of her room.  I don't know how many times one of the kids has tried to talk to her or show her something and she is on her phone (not a phone call) and she snaps at them that she is busy.  The dejected look on their face is painful to watch.  On the flip side, as soon as her phone rings she will stop any conversation or whatever is she is doing with the family because whoever is on the phone is more important. 

I get the idea of not going to an empty well for a drink or not expecting a gallon out of a pint.  But the behavior that I outlined above is what makes that really difficult to process.  The well is not empty and there is a gallon there, it is just offered to others, not our kids or myself.   

FF-
I am not sure I understand your question -
Do you appreciate it or otherwise feel better when your wife "tears you down"/talks through your faults?
The only time I feel 'better' is when she is not around.  If she is in the house, my anxiety is through the roof.  I am not sure if that is what you are trying to ask or not.

WC
formflier
Retired Staff

« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2018, 08:58:29 AM »

I get the idea of not going to an empty well for a drink or not expecting a gallon out of a pint.  But the behavior that I outlined above is what makes that really difficult to process.  The well is not empty and there is a gallon there, it is just offered to others, not our kids or myself.   

FF-
I am not sure I understand your question -
The only time I feel 'better' is when she is not around.  If she is in the house, my anxiety is through the roof.  I am not sure if that is what you are trying to ask or not.

WC

Until you can apply those analogies to YOUR relationship with her... .I don't see any change coming to your relationship.  My guess is that it will continue to deteriorate and fester... you will be more worn out.

The frag pattern will continue to expand.

She doesn't have a gallon for an intimate relationship.  She does have a gallon and more for "casual" relationships.  On some level she gets this and it contributes to shame.

There is nothing good for you or anyone in your family by thinking this is a choice made by your wife  It is hard to understand, but I assure you it is true.  You and she do have some influence over this... .

Listen man.  We are very similar.  I... for a long time just wanted my wife to straighten up and do like she did for the first 15-16 years of my marriage.  I didn't understand what I was dealing with.  I invalidated her... horribly.

She didn't accuse church members of being in multiple marriages, having children out of wedlock, multiple infidelities... etc etc... .so I figured "the truth" would help her.

I was coming from a "rational" place.  She was in an "emotional" place. 

Once I understood that her emotions were "the battleground" and "the truth" had NOTHING... .I assure you NOTHING to do with it... .well... .things got better.  Not a straight line and it was confusing her for a while.

Other than how she treats casual acquaintances. ... .what is it that leads you to believe she is making a choice?

FF

Notwendy

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent

« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2018, 09:27:12 AM »

FF - both are confusing. I think BPD truly exists on a spectrum and there isn't a clear division between high and low functioning in all situations but I think it has to do with how well a person functions in living skills and the extent of how BPD affects relationships.

I think high functioning is more confusing as the pwBPD is able to hold it together in other aspects of their world and may even be highly accomplished. Because of these relative strengths it may appear that the pwBPD does choose  how they behave with their intimate partners.  It raises the question- well if they can be so nice to their friends and co-workers, why aren't they that way with me all of the time?

My best conclusion is that they are unable to, for many reasons. The way they are in public is a sort of mask that they practice and it takes emotional effort on their part to do this. The work and public relationships are different, and so are less emotionally challenging to them than an intimate relationship is. They are less vulnerable in them. While expertise may be demanded of them in their jobs, intimacy is not. A teacher is in charge of the classroom. A nurse is in charge of the patients' medical care. This is not an equal relationship. Each has a certain level of control in the relationship with their charges and it isn't the same as with an intimate partner. They can manage their professional worlds but not their intimate relationships. Intimate relationships are more of a challenge in general and more for a pwBPD.

We all do this to some extent- act a different way in our professional worlds and with acquaintances than we do at home but I think this contrast is greater for someone with BPD.

Another confusing aspect of high functioning BPD is that it is possible that the only relationship that is affected is with the intimate partner. Others won't see it. With lower functioning BPD more aspects of life can be affected such as ability to hold a job, many unstable relationships, and behaviors such as drug/alcohol abuse. It's easier to take the words and actions of a pwBPD more personally when it is just you. However, I think the mechanism of a dysregulation is similar- the person is temporarily flooded with negative emotion and deals with it through projection- blaming, saying mean things.
takingandsending

« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2018, 10:09:54 AM »

WC
I know exactly how that feels. WC, I can't recall - are you getting help for yourself? Are you seeing a T regularly?

Fact: You are under verbal and emotional assault.
Fact: Your S14 is under verbal and emotional assault.
Fact: Your wife is not going to stop without significant treatment.

To survive living under the same roof, you need a lot of support. I hope we in the forum are here for you and not making you feel worse. I know I get triggered reading your posts with memories of my own painful experiences with my xw.

Seeing a T can help you emotionally disentangle and protect yourself from the assault that you are under. Once you are taking care of you, it will be easier and less reactive to take care of your children. That's what I am hoping you can achieve.

I just want you to know that things will get better when you separate, and also that it is really important to take care of you until that happens (and after, too). You will still have your wife to deal with as an ex wife. She will still be a parent that you have to figure out some level of communication with. You will still have all sorts of fear and anxiety about your kids in her care. But not having the daily, sometimes hourly, attacks on who you are as a person/for existing, is huge.

But the first step is letting go of the dream that you once held of whatever family and relationship looked like with this person. Grieve, cry, get angry, let yourself have your feelings. In the end, what is painful is letting go of what we wished for, not of what we actually have. The sooner you can reach that understanding, the quicker you can detach and take care of yourself, no matter what the external circumstances.

I am really sorry. I get how hard this is. 

Woodchuck

« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2018, 01:37:33 PM »

I have done a relatively good job of applying these analogies until this issue with the cat when she reached out to me.  That really messed with my head.  I do not believe that I want or expect her to change.  At this point, I would have a very difficult time believing any change was genuine.  Along with that, I fully recognize that I cannot change her and I don't believe that I am attempting to.  I really just want her to go and get on with life and be happy.  I don't want to do life with her any longer.  The difficult part is that I still care about her but do not want a relationship with her.  As far as why I believe she is at least in part making a choice, again, reaching out to me for comfort after putting the cat down.  She had not reached out to me for months and instead pushed me away anytime I attempted to reach out to her.  I think the notwendy makes a good point about work relationships being different and the fact that she is in control at work probably plays a large part in things.  Even with that, I cannot express how difficult it is to listen to her conversations with others on a daily basis.  It isn't just out in public, it is in the house as well due to how much she is on her phone.  As far as letting go, it is extremely difficult to do that while staying in the same house and she refuses to leave.  Her leaving would be significantly easier than me leaving.  She has the financial resources and lack of financial responsibilities to do so. 
I am seeing a T regularly as well as talking with friends and family but most everyone has the same response, they have no idea what to say.  I am doing what I can to take care of myself, however between all the drama at home and the impending career change, I feel extremely overwhelmed. 

WC
worriedStepmom

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner’s ex

« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2018, 01:45:07 PM »

I cannot imagine how difficult it would be to live in the same house while working to end a marriage.

I really think the best thing for you would be to find a way to leave the house and bring the children with you.
formflier
Retired Staff

« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2018, 02:15:15 PM »

I feel extremely overwhelmed. 

Likely the best topic to discuss with your T.   What can you do to get some "space" so you can make decisions under less "overwhelming" circumstances.

I would also ask you to consider a pattern that you have and also discuss it with your T.  Perhaps "in person" you can grasp this concept better of "emotional reactivity" or determine that your wife is actually making conscious choices.

Look at the Cat situation. 

You are overwhelmed... .

She is overwhelmed... .

It appears that you are upfront about having a hard time making decisions (thinking clearly)... whatever you want to call it.

Yet... .you ascribe to her the ability to think clearly (and plot to make your life miserable).  I get it that's a broad definition.

Teaching people to have empathy through these boards is tough.  Perhaps an in person T can do better.

And listen... you did great when you wife came to you.  You snuggled her.  Yet somehow in all that she made a conscious choice that you are holding her accountable for.

I've been there... .I know how hard it is.  I still "relapse" from time to time.  I want to assure you life is better for all, if you make decisions from a place of viewing her as emotionally unstable... .vice making choices.

Thoughts?  Any idea why you keep looking for evidence that "it was a choice"?

FF

Woodchuck

« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2018, 05:38:28 AM »

worriedstepmom -
If there was some way that I could leave the house, I would.  Unfortunately, my name is the only name on the mortgage, so she has no incentive to move.  If I stopped paying the mortgage, it would only hurt my credit.  I could try to sell the house but that would also be giving up a significant amount of money every month due to the interest rate that I was able to get a few years ago.  Along with that, I have a small home based business that takes up the garage and a good bit of the basement and trying to find a place to move that to is a bit challenging.  If push comes to shove, I can sell off all my equipment and sell the house and move but that is really giving up a lot and I am not at that point yet, especially considering that the business is part of what keeps me 'sane'.

FF-
I think you are correct in trying to view things and make decisions based on the premise of her emotional instability.  With that said, I don't think I am looking for evidence, I can't help but see the 'evidence'.  I am not claiming that I know or 100% believe that she s making a conscious choice, but when I am constantly seeing her act polar opposite with others, it is very difficult to not see it as a choice.  I am not so sure that I did the right thing with snuggling her.  It made me feel like crap afterwards and has sent me into a tailspin with anxiety.  It seems that making that choice just validates that she gets whatever she wants with no consequences.   

WC
formflier
Retired Staff

« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2018, 07:08:39 AM »

but when I am constantly seeing her act polar opposite with others, it is very difficult to not see it as a choice.  I am not so sure that I did the right thing with snuggling her.  

Keep your "thinker" engaged in this.

What is the big difference between you and the other relationships?

Asked another way... .how does she treat her other husbands? (a way too early try at humor... but I hope it illustrates the point)

What would have been the benefit of NOT snuggling with her?

FF

Woodchuck

« Reply #27 on: November 08, 2018, 07:22:10 AM »

I guess I would answer the first question with a  question.  What is different between her relationship with her kids and everyone else.  She treats them the same way she treats me.  The big difference there between her relationship with them and her relationship with me is authority/control.  She is rude and nasty towards her own kids, unless someone else is around but always kind and understanding towards kids outside her family.  She has much more authority/control over her own children than other children in normal day to day life. 
The benefit of not snuggling with her and instead asking her to leave would (hopefully) demonstrate that if she is going to be verbally abusive over and over (I don't want you to do anything for me, I don't need you, etc), there are consequences to that abuse.  'Turning the other cheek' over and over, validates her abusive behavior. 

WC
Woodchuck

« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2018, 07:33:41 AM »

I sent her an email last week in response to her telling me over and over that I need to change if things are going to work.  In that email, I accepted that I need to change and noted that I have been working on that through a T for the last year.  I also stated that I feel like I am shooting in the dark with any changes I make and that there is fault found with any changes that I make.  I stated that I need her to provide me with SMART changes, meaning they need to be specific, measurable, attainable, realistic and time bound.  Then I outlined an example to demonstrate what I was talking about. 
I received a response this AM and she replied that I need to have a heart change and wholeheartedly love her.  If I do that, then everything will fall into place and that if she was to make a list of SMART changes that needed to take place for that to happen, it would be a list longer than she could ever compose.  Then she went on to tell me that she is expending a lot of energy at work and claims that I pressured her to get a job and now I don't support or appreciate her working.  I get that this is how she feels but it is also a hot steaming pile of garbage.  The ONE and ONLY reason I have encouraged her to get a job is because she was not happy at home and was constantly talking about how she wants a job where she is appreciated etc.  I want her to be happy, she said that is what would make her happy and so I encouraged her to go that route.  Not supporting her?  I have helped her move furniture for her office on multiple occasions, taken time off work to take care of the kids because she has to work and a long list of other things, so how is it that I am not being supportive?  Appreciative?  How am I supposed to appreciate someone that is now working full time and doing less than they were doing before and not contributing financially?  That is rational me talking and I understand that going back and explaining the truth to her would be pouring gas on the fire. 

WC
worriedStepmom

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner’s ex

« Reply #29 on: November 08, 2018, 08:09:31 AM »

I understand that there are financial reasons not to move.

However, if your goal is divorce, what you are doing is not going to get you there.   You are not going to meet the in-house separation criteria because you are not acting like a separated person.  You are still acting like a husband who wants his wife back.

Maybe that's who you are.  Maybe you don't really want a divorce.  If so, that's okay.

You're sending us mixed signals, so I can't imagine the combination of signals you are sending to your wife and kids.  It's going to be harder on all of them ... .which means less emotionally stable / more emotionally abusive ... .if no one really knows what is going on or what to expect.

If you aren't already, I hope you are working with your therapist to really determine what goal you want from all of this - a divorce, with the kids living with you?  A better relationship with your W?  A better relationship between your W and your children?  so that you can make a better plan to get you there.

Right now, you don't have a plan, which means you are reacting.  During my divorce, this certainly made me feel out of control and helpless and all kinds of sad and icky feelings.  Once I had a goal and a plan, it was still hard, but I could check my actions and reactions against that goal and that plan.  Over time, it got easier and easier to let go of some of the emotional baggage.

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest