Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 16, 2024, 12:34:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
How to communicate after a contentious divorce... Following a contentious divorce and custody battle, there are often high emotion and tensions between the parents. Research shows that constant and chronic conflict between the parents negatively impacts the children. The children sense their parents anxiety in their voice, their body language and their parents behavior. Here are some suggestions from Dean Stacer on how to avoid conflict.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Should I tell him he has a PD?  (Read 353 times)
Perdita

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: 5 years in

« on: February 18, 2019, 01:56:03 PM »

I don't intend to tell him he has BPD. After 6 years with him I have no doubt that he has, but I want him to figure it out in therapy.  He isn't even in therapy but I hope to get him back in.

What I am contemplating is telling him that he has a pd and that this is why all the medication his GP prescribes isn't helping.  We started 2019 with him on 2 antidepressants,  a tranquilizer and a mood stabilizer. I don't see how a GP is qualified to treat his condition.  He needs to learn coping skills.

The festive season was bizarre. There was a night between Christmas and New year's that really was too much for me. He said he was watching tv in the study and would come to bed when the movie was over. He said 30 minutes. I went to sleep around 11, but woke up 3 times realizing he still had not come to bed.  The 4th time I got up and half asleep I opened the study door to see what's going on.  There he was, sitting in the floor. Shoes on, trousers down to his ankles. He was mastrubating. I simply asked what the hell is going on, it's 3:30 in the morning.  Then I closed the door and went to sleep again. He never did come to bed.

What got me most about it is that my sister was staying with us for the holidays.  Her bedroom was right next to the study. She even told me in the morning that she got up twice during the night and found him still dressed and acting weird. He later confessed to me that he had gotten high and never slept that entire night.

I don't quiet know why, but that episode has stuck with me.  My reaction to walking in on it was like a wife that had seen this so many times that she wasn't even shocked or surprised. His behavior during the entire December was disturbing  in all kinds of ways that will take too long to go into.

Do I just tell him that I think he has a PD and that pills alone won't make him better?
Cat Familiar
Senior Ambassador

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2019, 03:26:12 PM »

We don’t recommend telling your partner that you believe he has a PD. Here is a link about getting your loved one into therapy Get your family member into therapy

Perhaps he also has a substance abuse issue or a sex addiction. Both of those issues can be used as self soothing mechanisms.

“The Four Agreements  1. Be impeccable with your word.  2. Don’t take anything personally.  3. Don’t make assumptions.  4. Always do your best. ”     ― Miguel Ruiz, The Four Agreements: A Practical Guide to Personal Freedom
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest