Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 23, 2024, 12:30:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Experts share their discoveries [video]
Could it be BPD
BPDFamily.com Production
Listening to shame
Brené Brown, PhD
What is BPD?
Blasé Aguirre, MD
What BPD recovery looks like
Documentary
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Infuriated, discussing breakdown will force family to perform emotional labor  (Read 342 times)
hellofromchaos
Fewer than 3 Posts

What is your sexual orientation: Gay, lesb
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Family other

« on: February 03, 2019, 02:05:51 PM »

I've been in the emotionally intimate friendship I've ever had for the past 20 years. Although the relationship was never sexual per se, we have been one another's #1. My therapist agrees that it's like I'm going through a divorce after a long term marriage.

I was very unwell until about 2015. From 1999 until then, this person was a key support in my life. As I began to stabilize when I was diagnosed with bipolar disorder and began lithium, I increasingly was in the position of being the emotional whipping girl. (I had seen this a lot in the past, but justified the behavior because those people had more emotional resources and spoons than we did.)

She's an amazing person. She used to be the first person I called whenever anything good happened in my life. I don't want to paint this as a relationship of pure chaos.

However, three years ago, she snapped at me when I bought the wrong kind of carrots at the grocery store, and then went back to being sweet as pie to her niece on the phone. This has happened on an increasing basis. I noticed that in weeks and months when I was doing very well, she would be particularly cruel in unjustified ways. Starting about a year ago, she began saying things that were intentionally hurtful. Things did not go over well this summer, when I told her I needed to take a break after I refused to be a proxy in a text war between her and her mother. I told her I needed to have a period of no contact  of three months, which had to be extended to four months.

When we got back in touch, she told me that two other members of our chosen family had talked about how me taking space was a symptom of my bipolar disorder. I have checked in with them just now, and this conversion never happened.

We hardly talk anymore. Any attempt to support her ongoing cycle of chaos is met with the assertion that I have it better than her. (I'm on disability, and do struggle, but have gained the skills to be better.) Any attempt at constructive criticism is met with venom.

I'm infuriated that she lied to me, as the most recent attempt to get me back on the shame bus I worked so hard to escape by building stability and having lots of therapy.

I know that it takes two to tango. In a conflict, both parties bear some responsibility. We hardly ever talk, and when we do I don't share anything about myself, particularly joys. But it's infuriating me that she flat out lied, that she's tried to manipulate me back into misery, and that I can't even call her have a productive conversation about it. She'll just end up saying it's on me. (Confrontation/discussion would also basically force emotional labor upon two other people we consider chosen family, which I think isn't so good boundary wise.)

I still love her deeply as a friend, but I am done with this bull. She's one of the most intelligent people I've ever met, but that also means that her defense mechanisms are incredibly complicated and laced with booby traps.

I guess I ultimately know that unless she actually stays in therapy and learns to take feedback, she'll keep swimming around in the same fishbowl, with this days or week's crisis castle at the center of all she does. It's just profoundly sad for me as well.
Mutt
Retired Staff

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Divorced Oct 2015

« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2019, 08:45:12 PM »

Hi hellofromchaos,

Welcome

Id like to welcome you from bpdfamily. I’m sorry that you’re going through this. 20 years is a long r/s I can understanding how sharing intimate things and how things turned out at the present time would feel like you’re grieving the r/s. You’re in the right place it helps to talk to others that are going through something similar.

I'm infuriated that she lied to me, as the most recent attempt to get me back on the shame bus I worked so hard to escape by building stability and having lots of therapy.

Id feel angry if I was to be the middle man for her and her mother and with how she treated me in general since ‘15. I would like she’s not seeing me for the person that I’m having a platonic with but someone that’s carrying out what she wants.

Is she diagnosed with BPD?

"Let go or be dragged" -Zen proverb
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest