Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
March 19, 2024, 03:44:09 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Experts share their discoveries [video]
Caretaking - What is it all about?
Margalis Fjelstad, PhD
Blame - why we do it?
Brené Brown, PhD
Family dynamics matter.
Alan Fruzzetti, PhD
A perspective on BPD
Ivan Spielberg, PhD
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: She’s not a monster and I’ve been drinking...  (Read 388 times)
Sandb2015

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: Living apart, kicked out on 12/19 after meeting 3/19/2015

« on: February 18, 2019, 11:43:31 PM »

So... .

Of all the reading here and everywhere with varying degrees of insight, rubber stamping, labeling, and over all consensus, I’ve determined that the woman I love does have some sort of disorder and she does fit into some categories and others not. 

I spent a wonderful 12 hours together at her request on Sunday and it was something real, disorder or not.

Two instances:

1) A problem with my past and her seeing a woman she thinks is similar to that woman and dysregulation started. She started to become terribly angry, I remained calm, asked a simple question, who is she exactly, her response, just some student’s mother... .now quiet... .15 seconds later like magic, complete turn, passed and happy... .I used didactic for self reflection. Bingo.

A few hours later, she confided in me my insistent ways and why it gets her frustrated even when she knows my intentions in a calm and clear manor.  I thanked her for her kindness and I validated her by recognizing how difficult it was to say that, that is something I struggle with also.  I did disclose to her after a few minutes, that when I want to do things for her and she doesn’t want me to, I feel rejected.  It was a meeting of the minds, hers has things I’ve discounted because of my wanting to “classify” her.

I make the mistake of diving so deeply into the disorder, I forget the person.

Today communication was great except towards the end, she knows I’m going for counseling and it appears to be a threat somehow and I weathered it well but with a disconnect that I was so prepared for so no hurt or pain.

Anyway... .

Just because you think it, doesn't make it true.
RELATIONSHIP PROBLEM SOLVING
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members are welcomed to express frustration but must seek constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

Ozzie101
Ambassador

« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2019, 07:28:25 AM »

That all sounds very good, Sandb2015!

The tools really can work when it comes to avoiding those escalations and it sounds like you were able to handle potentially tricky situations in a wise manner.

Especially early on, it is easy to classify our loved one as a type and somehow lose sight of the fact that this is a human being. A person. With wants, needs, likes, dislikes, a history, a personality and an imprint all their own. BPD (or some elements of BPD) is just a part of the whole. It's not the person. And being able to recognize the person is a huge part of having empathy -- which in turn helps in dealing with the disorder. Seeing the disorder and looking too much at statistics and tools is a trap I fell into as well. I'm seeing my H now as the man he is (helped by the fact that he's in a better place right now) and it's made a lot of difference in my attitude and in his.
Harri
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2019, 03:40:43 PM »

Hi!  I am joining Ozzy in saying it sounds like the situation went well.  Validating her feelings and also not invalidating what she said seems to have worked! 

Excerpt
I make the mistake of diving so deeply into the disorder, I forget the person.
It is good that you were able to see this.  It is hard to see beyond the disorder and see the hurt and pain that is there so this is good.  What do you think was different this time around?

What have you told her about your counseling?

"What is to give light must endure burning." ~Viktor Frankl
Sandb2015

Relationship status: Living apart, kicked out on 12/19 after meeting 3/19/2015

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2019, 12:48:56 PM »

Hey Harri,

I see more awareness at times, I can almost seeing her try to maintain when we are together in person, that reinforces what my gut tells me.  I still get stuck on negative thinking, I tell myself out loud to stop, I'm trying mindfulness... .

After a great connection on the phone, texting, speaking, I see something great and I still start thinking in negative patterns.  I still get stuck in trying to imagine what she is thinking and feeling which I can't, aarghh... .some days, my patience with myself is nonexistent.

It's hard because she switches so quickly, so much more than before, I also see a depression I didn't before.  I'm obviously seeing many things I didn't before.

Right now I have this feeling of limbo as I'm taking the baby steps needed.

She asked me how it's going, NOT why I'm going, strange.  She is resentful of the money I'm spending because she needs money (she kicked me out :hi.  I've been going to Olive Garden to eat alone after T (sucks, but liberating), forcing myself to break the isolation I feel at times.

She quickly states I'm attracted to my T or getting #'s from girls that work at Olive Garden and than she picks up momentum and hangs up.

I'm listening to the feelings, not words... .

1) She may resent me being "close" to another female, confidant?

2) She sees me as replacing her easily... .her fear?

Can anyone break down those two for me if possible... .

Thank you,

Scott

PS, my aunt is very connected to Al-Anon and she is pushing for me to run, cut, heal, rethink my want to live a life with my love and we are doing a diplomatic dance... .yuck.

I went to a few meetings with her and I just can't relate, but highly respectful of how it helps so many.

Just because you think it, doesn't make it true.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest