Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 24, 2024, 11:55:21 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Family Court Strategies: When Your Partner Has BPD OR NPD Traits. Practicing lawyer, Senior Family Mediator, and former Licensed Clinical Social Worker with twelve years’ experience and an expert on navigating the Family Court process.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: In some ways, it really feels like I've restarted the detaching process  (Read 341 times)
Beneck

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

Brave heart. Braver brain.

« on: June 07, 2019, 12:55:07 PM »

Time since separation: almost 8 months.

NC: 2 months and 21 days

Hey guys!  Welcome new member (click to insert in post)

So as you can tell, this is another journaling post.

It's been over 2 and a half months since the last time my ex and I spoke, when she asked me (indirectly) whether I wanted to be her friend.

I unblocked her on Facebook and told her myself that I need more time.

The interaction brought about a conflicting cocktail of emotions that made me feel very ambiguous.

To this day, I'm not exactly sure whether contacting her myself was the smart thing to do. While I feel proud for having done so, as well as that my ex did deserve a direct response, all the same I feel the interaction made me take lots of steps back.

In some ways, it really feels like I've restarted the detaching process, only that this time it's quicker and more streamlined.

My ex is no longer blocked, so I look at her profile from time to time. She seems to be flirting with guys over Facebook, except it's a weird friends but flirting kinda thing. This made me realize she may have not be actually dating someone as I had said in my previous posts. Nevertheless, the flirting was definitely there.

It was her birthday somewhat recently. It felt really weird for us not to be talking on that day. I remember her birthday one year ago. We were all lovey-dovey, exchanging voice messages, me telling her just how much I wish I could be there with her, etc.

But the day passed. And for me, it was just an ordinary day. Good.

I still love her and I still miss her. And could be a reality for a long time. I'm starting to accept that. But life has really started to feel and seem prettier. I've completely stopped ruminating. I'm no longer anxious and I resort to mindfulness very sparingly.

As I've said before, there were a lot of things I could have handled better during the relationship. That realization is hurtful and, dare I say, even shame inducing. I know very well that I did my absolute best with what I knew back then. And yet, something very important to me ended. That's not pleasant.

I think my ex did well to end our relationship. She said she was feeling trapped, etc. Again, I know this, but truly assimilating that truth is difficult. Perhaps I need more time.

My ex had said we could be friends in the future, on the day she broke up with me. 5 months later, she asked to be friends. I guess she had emotionally checked out of the relationship for about a month and had already decided we'd make good friends afterwards.

That kinda sucks though :p If she wanted to be friends, doesn't that mean she got over me? :p

Very recently, my ex went to a concert in another city with her mother. The 2 seem to have had tons of fun, and my ex seems to be doing better these days. Part of me is happy for her, part of me is bitter.

Something tells me my perception of reality is still slightly distorted by my feelings of hurt. Time will tell and... I guess I need more time in general.

Thank you for reading.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2019, 05:46:26 AM by once removed » Logged
once removed
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2019, 05:44:47 AM »

Excerpt
In some ways, it really feels like I've restarted the detaching process, only that this time it's quicker and more streamlined.

in what ways?

and I think it's gonna be all right; yeah; the worst is over now; the mornin' sun is shinin' like a red rubber ball…
Mutt
Retired Staff

Relationship status: Divorced Oct 2015

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2019, 06:36:32 PM »

That kinda sucks though :p If she wanted to be friends, doesn't that mean she got over me? :p

She liked something about you in the r/s if she wants to keep you around. Maybe she thinks that if she finds herself in another r/s and she wants emotional support without the commitment of a r/s. I'm not sure if everyone will agree with this because maybe some people can truly make a platonic r/s work but if she's coming to you for emotional support then that is more self serving than having a r/s that is more balanced and reciprocal? Maybe a part of her at that time couldn't continue but a part of her still has feelings for you and a r/s is a possibility in the future and she's leaving that option open.

Aside of all of that what is important is what you want.

"Let go or be dragged" -Zen proverb
clvrnn

What is your sexual orientation: Gay, lesb
Relationship status: Broken Up

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2019, 06:59:09 PM »

She liked something about you in the r/s if she wants to keep you around. Maybe she thinks that if she finds herself in another r/s and she wants emotional support without the commitment of a r/s. I'm not sure if everyone will agree with this because maybe some people can truly make a platonic r/s work but if she's coming to you for emotional support then that is more self serving than having a r/s that is more balanced and reciprocal? Maybe a part of her at that time couldn't continue but a part of her still has feelings for you and a r/s is a possibility in the future and she's leaving that option open.

That's what I got from it, too. She must have some residual feelings for you to want you around in some capacity.

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest