Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 20, 2024, 07:29:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Books most popular with members
Stop Caretaking the
Borderline or the Narcassist
Stop Walking
on Eggshells
Journey from
Abandonment to Healing
The Search for Real Self
Unmasking Personality Disorders

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: S4 has given new info. Seeking advice.  (Read 458 times)
JNChell
a.k.a. "WTL"

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Dissolved

« on: April 13, 2019, 11:30:51 AM »

S4 has told me that his second cousin is living in the house. This is an addition to a troubled child that was added to the household some time back. I’ll spare any run-on details and get to the point. S4 has reported that his second cousin “puts him on the wall” when he’s “bad”. To be clear, S4 starts to talk at times. I don’t elicit. From what he described, it’s the same as being stood in a corner. I was stood in a corner as a youngster for what seemed like hours and mocked while standing there. Moving or sitting down meant a consequence. I wasn’t allowed to speak while in the corner. Maybe this new info is simply a bit triggering, but I’m not comfortable with my Son being disciplined in this way. It’s pointless to bring this up with his mom. I’m doing well at validating S4, but sometimes I get lost on what to say to him when he gives info like this. My immediate thought is to reach out to his mom. I know better than to do that now. I’m not yet properly skilled at coming back with a proper response, off the cuff, that seems to work when S4 is sharing experiences. I try, but he eventually shuts down and talks about something else, or says he doesn’t want to talk anymore. I know that it’s my lack of communication skills. How do I keep him talking? Should I look at this differently and view his demands as healthy boundaries? I’ve been working on teaching him about boundaries. Am I simply being a single dad that overthinks?

I don’t interrogate S4, but I do ask questions when he brings up certain things. Some of my questions, I believe, can become a bit leading. I’m hoping to read advice on communication with a toddler when the parenting styles between mom and dad are very opposite.

“Adversity can destroy you, or become your best seller.”
-a new friend
Turkish
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Other
Relationship status: "Divorced"/abandoned by SO in Feb 2013; Mother with BPD, PTSD, Depression and Anxiety: RIP in 2021.

Dad to my wolf pack

« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2019, 08:13:43 PM »

Did you ask him how he felt about it?

“For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.” ― Rudyard Kipling
JNChell
a.k.a. "WTL"

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2019, 08:21:41 PM »

I always do. That’s when he shuts down for the most part. He becomes uncomfortable.

-a new friend
Turkish
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

Relationship status: "Divorced"/abandoned by SO in Feb 2013; Mother with BPD, PTSD, Depression and Anxiety: RIP in 2021.

Dad to my wolf pack

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2019, 08:28:41 PM »

Sounds like he may feel shame. You could start with soft validation.  "that doesn't sound like a good time.  I was put against the wall when I was a kid too.  I felt X. How how do you feel?"

“For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.” ― Rudyard Kipling
JNChell
a.k.a. "WTL"

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2019, 08:47:44 PM »

He does feel shame. It bothers me. The littlest thing and he says “I’m sorry” with shame on his face. I validate him. I told him that I was put in the corner as a kid in subtle ways.

Having no control over the situation, I told him to think about funny things when he’s forced to face a wall. I’m really pissed off about this. I’m probably not handling it correctly. I want to do right by my boy.

-a new friend
Turkish
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

Dad to my wolf pack

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2019, 09:04:39 PM »

I have a buddy who puts his kid against the wall.  Bugs the  Cursing - won't cause site restrictions at Starbucks (click to insert in post) out of me.  I'd be really pissed, but I'd tell him that no way that will happen here,  even if I were mad at him. 

How do you think his mom would react if you brought it up? It's not her doing it. 

JNChell
a.k.a. "WTL"

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2019, 09:21:19 PM »

His mom would flip it. I can’t even try to talk about these things with her without coming away feeling like a piece of  Cursing - won't cause site restrictions at Starbucks (click to insert in post).

It doesn’t matter that it’s not her doing it. There is an imoveable family dynamic that hates men but can’t be without one. She allows it. Just like she allowed the previous babysitter to spank him. He smelled of cigarettes and the house smelled of dirty dogs.

-a new friend
Only Human

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Child
Relationship status: divorced since the 90's

Love is still the answer

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2019, 11:25:45 PM »

Hi JNChell,

I'm so sorry to hear this is happening with your son, I would be pissed about it too!

As you know, I have a 4-year-old grandson who lives with me, along with his BPD mom, my DD25.

As for how to keep your son talking, it sounds like you're doing alright by validating him. I think with kids that young, they are unsure about their feelings and want to move on to the next thing. GS4 will drop a bomb, "Mommy yelled at me because I was so rude to her," and I'll say, "Oh? How did that make you feel?" and he'll reply, "I don't know." or "It made me feel happy." (?)

I say "Oh?" a lot, as it opens things up for him to talk more. I also say, "And then what happened?" a lot.

I found a basic feelings chart, printed it, and we talk about feelings. He taped it to his bedroom wall and sometimes will ask, "Can we talk about feelings?"

Your son feels safe talking to you, that is so great! Keep up the good work, my friend.

~ OH

"It's our god forsaken right to be loved, loved, loved, loved."
-Jason Mraz, I'm Yours
Only Human

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Child
Relationship status: divorced since the 90's

Love is still the answer

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2019, 11:27:30 PM »

I forgot to say, I always end tough talks with the statement, "Well, if you ever want to talk more about it, you can talk to me anytime."

~ OH

"It's our god forsaken right to be loved, loved, loved, loved."
-Jason Mraz, I'm Yours
JNChell
a.k.a. "WTL"

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2019, 01:27:31 AM »

Thanks for the advice, OH. I have started telling him that he can talk to me whenever he feels like he needs to. I like “can we talk about feelings?”. I’d like to find a way into that with him. I don’t want him to stuff his feelings. That never turns out well.

I’d also like to go back to what Turkish brought up about shame. S4 feels shame often. It’s on his face plain as day when he’s feeling it. I’m concerned about it. I think that I’m slowly chipping away at that. Lately, it’s been helping him to understand the difference between an accident and misbehaving. It’s kind of odd. When there is an accident, he feels shame. When he misbehaves, he doesn’t realize it. I also think that he’s entered a phase of testing me which is normal. Correct me if I’m wrong, but maybe the testing is an invitation for me to teach him what healthy behavior and actions are. Thank you for reaching out.

-a new friend
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest