Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
March 29, 2024, 08:23:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Before you can make things better, you have to stop making them worse... Have you considered that being critical, judgmental, or invalidating toward the other parent, no matter what she or he just did will only make matters worse? Someone has to be do something. This means finding the motivation to stop making things worse, learning how to interrupt your own negative responses, body language, facial expressions, voice tone, and learning how to inhibit your urges to do things that you later realize are contributing to the tensions.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How do I do damage control?  (Read 450 times)
TiredOfTheCrazy
Fewer than 3 Posts

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« on: April 18, 2019, 01:50:04 PM »

Hi! My counselor suggested I join an online support group. I found y'all through searching one of the author's of Stop Walking on Eggshells...
I filed for divorce back in November but was unable to move out until January. Since I have moved out he has begun attacking my character (to my employer, called CPS, even had me picked up and detained on a mental health warrant). He has brainwashed our 7 1/2 year old son. How do you get through this without becoming the crazy person they are saying you are? BTW I am a Special Education teacher and concerned they are not going to renew my probationary contract because I've had to miss so much work the end of this year due to things out of my control. (I am on a probationary contract because this is my 1st year back teaching since having my son.)
How do I do damage control? I am feeling overwhelmed!
mart555

« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2019, 03:43:51 PM »

Read the book "splitting" and cover your ass. Record calls, setup cameras, record conversations, keep emails / text messages. You'll need them at some point.

Newyoungfather

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2019, 08:42:20 PM »

Hello TiredOftheCrazy and welcome,
You are not alone believe me, exBPD fabricated numerous items against me, all blew back up in her face.  Here are some of my tips that have worked for me:
1.  Set up a new email account just for communicating with ex. Pick a time during the day when you can read the emails alone, so in case you have to vent such as going for a walk, etc you can.  Answer only questions that pertain to the child or what you attorney tells you to.  Try to keep all communication through email, text, only, this helped me a lot.
2.  Interview and hire a good lawyer, don't be afraid to change lawyers.
3.  Be there for your kids, and talk with them daily.
4.  For your work situation I would also supply HR with paperwork about my court hearings.  Inform them that you will work extra, pick up extra task to make up for it.

We are all hear for you, and some of our members are really good, turkish, kells76, LivedNLearn, just to name a few.
I Am Redeemed
Retired Staff

Relationship status: Divorced

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2019, 09:08:00 PM »

Hi, Tiredofthecrazy,
I'm glad you found us, but I am sorry for what you are going through. That sounds very stressful. Do you have a good attorney to help you through the divorce process?

A good place to start is to get the book Splitting: Protecting Yourself When Divorcing an NPD/BPD Spouse, by Bill Eddy. That book is highly recommended on this board.

Redeemed

We are more than just our stories.
Turkish
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Other
Relationship status: "Divorced"/abandoned by SO in Feb 2013; Mother with BPD, PTSD, Depression and Anxiety: RIP in 2021.

Dad to my wolf pack

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2019, 10:10:42 PM »

How did he have you picked up on a mental health warrant, for what? That sounds scary.  Are you cleared from that?

“For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.” ― Rudyard Kipling
formflier
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: Married

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2019, 08:25:04 AM »

Welcome

I found this site exactly the same way.  My life is to much richer, calmer and I am much more confident of my future as a result of being on this site.

I'm going to join Turkish in asking for more details on the warrant thing and where that process is at.

I'm positive we can help guide you.  I'm so glad you have a counselor that pointed you here.

FF

ForeverDad
Retired Staff

Relationship status: separated 2005 then divorced

You can't reason with the Voice of Unreason...

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2019, 01:19:47 AM »

How do I do damage control? I am feeling overwhelmed!

An immense help is learning how to address the behaviors.  In time you'll find you will be caught off guard and unprepared less often.  And you will become more familiar with time-tested strategies — we've been there and done that, so walking in our footsteps helps guide you to practical solutions — that work far better than hopes and impractical expectations.

Also, prioritize.  Your children and their lives are most important but you and your parenting need protecting also.  As the old airline lecture goes, "In the event of an emergency put on your own oxygen mask first before trying to help others."  Frankly, when you accept that you're facing a parent who has made himself or herself an enemy, you can't afford to allow them the ability to sabotage you or your parenting.  And trying to show the court or others how overly-fair or overly-nice you are can end up granting the other too much power over you.  Another saying, "The person behaving poorly seldom gets consequences and the parent behaving wll seldom gets credit."
« Last Edit: April 22, 2019, 01:26:49 AM by ForeverDad » Logged

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest