Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 24, 2024, 01:56:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Books most popular with members
Stop Caretaking the
Borderline or the Narcassist
Stop Walking
on Eggshells
Journey from
Abandonment to Healing
The Search for Real Self
Unmasking Personality Disorders

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New To BPDFamily  (Read 383 times)
ConcernedFather
Fewer than 3 Posts

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« on: May 10, 2019, 06:09:36 PM »

Hi,

This is my first time posting on this forum. I have a 4-month-old son with my ex-girlfriend, who I recently discovered likely has BPD. I caught her in some massive lies and after doing some research, I thought she might be a pathological liar with Narcissistic Personality Disorder. After speaking with a therapist, they told me she likely has BPD. On the therapist's advice, I read "Stop Walking On Eggshells", so I have a basic understanding of BPD.

I don't live with her, but have to interact with her constantly because we are raising a son together. To say my relationship with her is challenging would be an understatement, but my main concern is how his mother's BPD is going to negatively impact my son.

Any advice I can get about how best to protect my son from any damage his mother could do would be much appreciated. I'd also love any advice about how I should deal with her, but my son's well-being is my focus.

Thanks
worriedStepmom

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner’s ex

« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2019, 11:34:10 AM »

Hello and welcome!  You'll find a lot of support here.

Do you have a formal custody agreement with your ex? Is the breakup very recent?

I highly recommend that if you don't already have a legal agreement in place that states when you can see your child and what rights you have, that you contact a lawyer immediately.  It will be important that you have this to protect your relationship with your child from your ex's mood swings.

Understanding the Borderline Mother is a really good book as well.  It describes 4 types of BPD personalities, the personalities of the men who fall for them, and the effects on the children.  I've found this very accurate in helping us understand and predict what form of crazy my H's exW's BPD will take in certain situations.
livednlearned
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Family other
Relationship status: Married

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2019, 12:20:03 PM »

Any advice I can get about how best to protect my son from any damage his mother could do would be much appreciated. I'd also love any advice about how I should deal with her, but my son's well-being is my focus.

It's a great question, and you are so fortunate to be asking this when your son is still so young.

One thing that happens with a BPD parent is that the normal roles are reversed. Instead of validating your son's feelings, she will likely expect him to validate her's. That can be developmentally difficult for a child who needs a parent to help him regulate difficult emotions like frustration, disappointment, sadness, anger, etc. He is looking to her to help him regulate and instead she is expecting him to do it for her. He'll turn himself into a pretzel trying to figure out what she needs and won't develop his own identity. Or, he'll become frustrated, too, and the two of them will be stuck in a cycle of conflict and frustration that is overwhelming for both.

Read everything you can about validation. I Don't Have to Make Everything All Better by the Lundstroms is helpful for multiple stages of development and different kinds of relationships (child, teen, partner, etc.). Another one is Power of Validation (for parenting). I can't remember the authors but I believe they are listed in the site's book section.

Bill Eddy's book Don't Alienate the Kids! Raising Emotionally Resilient Children When One Parent has BPD is also excellent.

Instead of focusing on what you can't control (her behavior), you essentially learn to change what you can control, which is you and how you model healthy emotion regulation, which is no small thing. It's powerful. I believe it helped my son get past suicidal ideation when I discovered validation and began to transfer healthy emotion regulation skills to him through modeling and communication.

Another thing we tend to worry about here is parental alienation. You are a ways off from the psychological bits because your son is so young but it may also manifest in her behaviors during your son's infancy, it's hard to say. Divorce Poison by Richard Warshak is excellent, and so is anything by Dr. Craig Childress, including youtube videos online. A lot will seem like it's a long ways off but I believe knowledge is power. You can learn these skills and then practice them with other people so that they are more second nature in habit as your son begins to grow.

And the last piece is to document your involvement, everything you do for your son, just in case she responds to your closeness with your son as a reason to pull him away (requiring legal action).

Our battles are for the hearts and minds of our kids just as much as they are for equal (or more) parenting time.

Stay super involved in his life and you will offset a lot of the problems that come with BPD parenting shortcomings. And keep posting here   This site and friends here were a game changer for me.

Breathe.
Newyoungfather

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2019, 08:04:57 PM »

Welcome Concerned Father,
I would say for starters have a court document drafted up so you have some type of boundary protection.  I was in the same boat as you, my son was a new born and then the hell began.  You found a good source of support.
ForeverDad
Retired Staff

Relationship status: separated 2005 then divorced

You can't reason with the Voice of Unreason...

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2019, 05:29:58 PM »

Boundaries will become very important.  People with BPD (pwBPD) generally are consistently inconsistent, driven by their triggers, moods and feelings of the moment.  Also, the Denial is strong in them, Blaming and Blame Shifting are tactics used to make it seem it's always someone else's Fault.

The reality is that you can't live your life on her terms.  As long as you allow her that power over your life then she will feel empowered and enabled to control and dictate.  Have you read Henry Cloud's Boundaries?

Boundaries are for you, not her.  You already know you can't tell her what to do or not do.  You can't force her to do or not do something, your power is in your response.  However, what can and does work (though there are limits) is something like this... .
"If you do or don't do ___ then I will do or not do ___."

Examples:
If you start blocking me from our kids... .
... .then I will enforce the parenting schedule, in court if that's what it takes.
If you want extra time for ___... .
... .then I may allow it but with a trade for equivalent time for ___.

When done right "if... then..." is powerful.  It took me years to figure how to make boundaries such as these.

Oh, and since this would be a change to your behavior pattern, expect her to flame out with extinction bursts in attempts to make you retreat back into prior compliant, appeasing actions.  She may never fully accept that you will run your own life, but in time she ought to realize you're not acquiescing to her demands as before and not push your boundaries as relentlessly.

ConcernedFather
Fewer than 3 Posts

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2019, 03:13:58 PM »

Thank you all so much for the amazing responses. I'm in a lot of fear for my son and how his mother's BPD could potentially harm him, but it's great to know there are tools out there for me to use that will hopefully mitigate much of the potential damage.

I'll continue educating myself with the books and videos and agree that boundaries are one of the best things I can do to protect myself and my son. So far I haven't had to go to court as she is letting me see him a good amount, but it's all on her terms and tends to be very chaotic. I'm worried a court would mandate that I see him less now (as he's still so young and needs to be with his mother more), but I think it would beneficial having an official court document.

I really appreciate all the support and am grateful to have found this amazing community.
worriedStepmom

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner’s ex

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2019, 03:16:29 PM »

You can usually get an initial consultation with a lawyer for a relatively low rate.  They can tell you the laws in your area and what to expect if you were to go to court.  Generally, the status quo is in your favor.

There is also the option of having a lawyer draw up an agreement that documents exactly how you share custody and ask her to sign it to protect both of you.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest