Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 19, 2024, 06:03:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Parents! Get help here!
Saying "I need help" is a huge first step. Here is what to do next.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I need help  (Read 361 times)
Ilove
Fewer than 3 Posts

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Child

« on: May 15, 2019, 10:59:25 PM »

The day before Mother’s Day, my daughter ran off the interstate into a body of water. She stated that she meant to do it.  Alcohol was involved.  Her car was nose down in the water, and she barely made it out.  She was able to crawl to the hatchback and get out of the car.  I was following behind, begging her to just stop (I knew she was very upset, crying, and drinking). My texts were not going through. She was already in the water.  As I approached the emergency vehicles and gathered crowds, I just knew it was her they were looking down at.  I pulled on around the accident site, parked, and just sat there.  I knew it must be her, but was terrified to get out to ask.  Finally Idid get out of my car.  I asked the first gentleman I saw, what kind of car was involved.  He asked me what kind of car was my daughter driving. I told him, and he took my hand. He said he was not going to let go of it, and said a brief prayer for us.  My mind and heart were down at my feet. My worst nightmare had come true.  As we approached the bridge over her, I could see her sitting in the rear of her car. She was moving and ok it seemed.  Later she confirmed that she had intended to hurt herself.  She is now in the hospital under suicide watch.  I can’t even say that word out loud.  I desperately need guidance as to where to seek help for her.  As I am reading everything I can, I am finding out that there are so many doctors who are not skilled in treating BPD.  That is what they are saying her condition is where she is now currently.  Can someone, anyone offer some help with direction toward a really good treatment physician?  I just have to find help for this precious child of mine.
Our objective is to better understand the struggles our child faces and to learn the skills to improve our relationship and provide a supportive environment and also improve on our own emotional responses, attitudes and effectiveness as a family leaders
FaithHopeLove
Retired Staff

Relationship status: Shaky

« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2019, 04:21:13 AM »

Hello Llove
I am glad to meet you and very sorry about the horrible circumstances that bring you here. You did the right thing by reaching out to us. This is a great place for help and support. Many people here are going through similar experiences and totally "get it' in ways only people with beloved children with BPD can. The information on this site is relevent and reliable and it can help you help your daughter. Perhaps the best place to start is by looking at the "How to get the most out of this site" thread pinned at the top of the page. But first things first. You have just had a terrible shock. You need to be cared for too. Many of us see therapists in addition to posting here and find it helps a lot. What else are you comfortable telling us about your daughter? How old is she? Does she live with you? Was she recently diagnosed with BPD? Share anything you like. We are here for you. Things CAN get better.
Ilove
Fewer than 3 Posts

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2019, 07:11:12 AM »

Thank you for your response.  Yes, she was just diagnosed this week, but I am not sure of this place she is in.  She has had a problem with alcohol for some time, which brings on a lot of anger and depression.  She is 36, just recently sold her house.  She is living with a friend currently, but is not really happy there, since she has been on her own for some time. She has always had a good work ethic, and had a very good job until recently.  It was a stressful situation, very, so she decided to leave it.  We agreed with her on that’s but bottom line, her pay scale will be much less than she is used to.  She has had relationship problems. There has never been a marriage, or children.  She has been very active in the community, belonging to service orientated clubs.  But there has been a fair amount of alcohol involved, which seems lately to be escalating.  And now this attempt to harm herself has me in agony.  I want to find the best help for her. We are in South Carolina.
FaithHopeLove
Retired Staff

Relationship status: Shaky

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2019, 08:25:20 AM »

Ok. Thanks for the additional information. It seems lots of people with BPD also have alcohol and/or drug problems. My 24 yr old BPD son is addicted to cannabis. At first I think he was self medicating and it worked up to a point. Then he went way overboard with it and developed a problem. So you are not alone in facing a dual diagnosis situation. I take it you are looking at residential treatment.
 Perhaps someone who knows your state better than I can give you advice on particular facilities. When I need to identify treatment options I call  our insurance's mental health and addiction hot line and they tell me what is available. Keep posting
 We are all rooting for you and your daughter. Better days are coming.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest