Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
March 28, 2024, 02:57:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
How to communicate after a contentious divorce... Following a contentious divorce and custody battle, there are often high emotion and tensions between the parents. Research shows that constant and chronic conflict between the parents negatively impacts the children. The children sense their parents anxiety in their voice, their body language and their parents behavior. Here are some suggestions from Dean Stacer on how to avoid conflict.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Another Confirmation I'm Better Off  (Read 378 times)
Turkish
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Other
Relationship status: "Divorced"/abandoned by SO in Feb 2013; Mother with BPD, PTSD, Depression and Anxiety: RIP in 2021.

Dad to my wolf pack

« on: September 18, 2019, 12:26:32 AM »

A friend told me this today, and he's reminded me in the past. 

Yesterday, I and the kids had just arrived home. D7 was copping a 'tude, so I sent her to her room.  My car's boot/hatch was open as I was unloading groceries.  My home front door was  wide open.  I turned around and their mom came in,  no knock or call-out "I'm here!" I would have been polite enough to do that, but that's me.  She was dropping off the kids' backpacks for school. I was expecting her to drop by.  I told her that her daughter was in her room, angry.

As she went down the hallway she said, "the house is stuffy, it needs to be aired out." I called out,  "we just got home 3 minutes ago!" She didn't respond.  I left the AC off in the day because it had cooled down outside after a hot weekend.  Of course I opened up windows after she left. Small home, within 10 minutes the breeze blows throughout the house. 

One minute in, a criticism. I look back and wonder how I put up with the almost daily little criticisms like this (not to mention the more vehement angry episodes), death of a r/s by a thousand cuts. That says more about me than her. 

“For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.” ― Rudyard Kipling
ColdKnight

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2019, 01:04:13 AM »

Hi Turkish,

It’s good to here from you, dare I say, old timers. Lol.

It really puts things in perspective for me at least. It lets me know that some day I will be in that space of peace as well.

How long have you been apart?

Take it for what it’s worth, I am no one of consequence.
Turkish
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

Relationship status: "Divorced"/abandoned by SO in Feb 2013; Mother with BPD, PTSD, Depression and Anxiety: RIP in 2021.

Dad to my wolf pack

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2019, 01:21:36 AM »

She left February, 2014, after living with us for 4 months in her r/s with her stbxh. She's "happy" she told me recently. I don't ask about the divorce, but she's already looking for a new man.

“For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.” ― Rudyard Kipling
Longterm

Relationship status: Divorce in progress

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2019, 07:34:59 AM »

Welcome new member (click to insert in post)

Excerpt
  One minute in, a criticism.

I remember things like this myself. If my ex was ever out the house it would have to be perfect upon her return. I could clean for hours, could cook a nice meal and even get her clothes ready for a shower etc, yet she would always find something wrong, something to criticize. They seem to never be happy, and if they are, its short lived.

LT.

It is, was, and always will be, all about her.
I Am Redeemed
Retired Staff

Relationship status: Divorced

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2019, 07:56:56 AM »

Oh yes, the always present criticism. Didn't matter how perfect I made things, either. House could be spotless, toys put away, dinner made, etc. But... I didn't clean the top of the refrigerator Frustrated/Unfortunate (click to insert in post)

Once I locked the keys in the house while trying to go pick up my girls from school. I had my one year old son, I was seven months pregnant, and it was hot as blazes outside. After about a half hour I managed to finally get the door open to get inside and get the keys, then rush to get the girls from school. When ubpdh got home, he said, "you could have pulled the trash can to the curb while you were out there".
Aaaaarrrrrgggghhhhh.

We are more than just our stories.
RomanticFool

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2019, 08:13:41 AM »

Turkish,

You have helped me an awful lot on these boards and I identify with what you are saying. I am realising what life is like without constant character assassinations and being told I’m an abuser and a narcissist on a daily basis. I know why I put up with it for nearly a year. I know why I went crawling back every time she ghosted me and cut me off WhatsApp, not to mention ended the r/s. I am starting to come to my senses and realise that whatever my feelings were for her, they weren’t healthy and neither was the r/s. I am beginning to rediscover my self esteem. It will take a long time for me to recover, but I see green shoots starting to sprout and you clearly are in the Elysian Fields of recovery. I am inspired by your words.

GaGrl
Ambassador

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner’s ex

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2019, 11:55:56 AM »

My DH's ex is a constant stream of negativity and critical comment. Adults around her know to expect it. It hurts when the granddaughters become targets -- one granddaughter was on her way to play a holiday concert for the city Youth Symphony (a big, big deal to have auditioned and been selected), and was dressed in the requisite black dress. Ex was picked up, got in the car, looked at GD, and said, "Is THAT what you're going to wear? Do we have time to go back to your house and change? Maybe we have time to stop by Dillard's when we get downtown." GD was completely deflated. ( By the way, she looked fine.)

This is why my SD38 will hang up from her morning call on the way to work. "Mom, you're being too negative, and I can't take negativity into my clients." She does medical and hospice massage therapy.

it must take up a lot of mental, spiritual, and emotional space to view the world through a lens of what is wrong with everyone and everything. Exhausting.

"...what's past is prologue; what to come,
In yours and my discharge."
Turkish
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

Dad to my wolf pack

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2019, 12:47:58 AM »

Quote from: RomanticFool
I am starting to come to my senses and realise that whatever my feelings were for her, they weren’t healthy and neither was the r/s. I am beginning to rediscover my self esteem.

RF, this is good. Keep following this path.  It's unhealthy for any of us to let others define who we are. Our Real Selves. We can get lost in our relationships.

Had another incident tonight at back to school. She invalidated both kids (D7 started crying). I was mad/sad, but had to be true to myself, for me, and for the kids, in order to mirror my real self, apart from her. I wanted to fix, but my job isn't to fix her. My job is to be the best Me. For myself, and for my kids.

Kids notwithstanding, it's my job to be the best Me.

mama-wolf

What is your sexual orientation: Gay, lesb
Relationship status: Divorced

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2019, 08:53:31 AM »

Thanks for sharing this, Turkish.  No matter how small, it's those constant criticisms, comments, "innocent" observations about something that's wrong with their world--something they expect us to fix or be responsible for, but with a denial that it had anything to do with us--that really chip away at your identity, self-worth, and the relationship itself.  Like you said, death by a thousand cuts.

My T has brought it up a few times...the absence of the criticism, and whether it was nice to enjoy X activity without that present...trying to help me remember I'm better off now.  It has been a while since we have focused there, and it's good to have your post as a reminder.

mw

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest