Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 19, 2024, 04:32:15 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Experts share their discoveries [video]
Caretaking - What is it all about?
Margalis Fjelstad, PhD
Blame - why we do it?
Brené Brown, PhD
Family dynamics matter.
Alan Fruzzetti, PhD
A perspective on BPD
Ivan Spielberg, PhD
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Can borderlines be happy?  (Read 365 times)
Granite Chief

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« on: July 10, 2019, 02:53:31 PM »

Can I make a borderline happy or am I doomed to be blamed for her unhappiness? I am trying to figure out reality.

Granite Chief mountain is located in the Sierra Nevada mountain range near Lake Tahoe.
RELATIONSHIP PROBLEM SOLVING
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members are welcomed to express frustration but must seek constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

LoneRanger307

What is your sexual orientation: Gay, lesb

« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2019, 07:34:08 PM »

Can I make a borderline happy or am I doomed to be blamed for her unhappiness? I am trying to figure out reality.

You can probably not make your BPD happy and probably shouldn't try. (If I may speak based on codependency principles.) Your BPD may find their own route to happiness, and I fully believe BPDs can be happy. Have you read about Marsha Linehan? Her story helps me have hope.

You can probably make yourself happier by focusing on creating your own happiness. We are each responsible for ourselves, our own emotions, our own peace.

Granite Chief

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2019, 10:39:47 AM »

No I have not but I will check it out.

Granite Chief mountain is located in the Sierra Nevada mountain range near Lake Tahoe.
LoneRanger307

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2019, 09:45:02 PM »

I think Linehan's story is really inspirational. She recognized BPD in herself and designed a course of therapy to help herself and others.  I shared an article about her with my BPDh and his family after he was diagnosed, because his first reaction was hopelessness.

Can I ask what about your situation has caused you to have this question?

Granite Chief

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2019, 10:21:33 AM »

She keeps attacking me verbally because I do not make her happy.

I tell her the same thing...I can not fill this giant hole inside of you. She insists I can solve all her problems...I am like...am i doomed to live this nightmare forever.

LoneRanger307

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2019, 01:32:27 PM »

That sounds really stressful to have her try to put all responsibilities for her emotions on you.  Also a common BPD trait, I believe. Are either of you in therapy?

Scarlet Phoenix
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Together 9 years

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2019, 02:14:10 PM »

She keeps attacking me verbally because I do not make her happy.
I tell her the same thing...I can not fill this giant hole inside of you. She insists I can solve all her problems...I am like...am i doomed to live this nightmare forever.
Hi, I agree with LongRanger307 that this is rather common. In people with BPD, and in other people with poor emotional skills, like those that struggle with co-dependency – and I count myself among them. I used to look to others to make me feel happy and loved.

So can you make her happy? The questions, although understandable, is missing the point that pwBPD (people with BPD) are struggling with deep-seated issues of low self-worth and a lacking sens of self, and tend to look to external sources to mend this. Not on purpose, but rather subconsciously. But external sources can never mend this, only looking inwards will do this. So in that sense, no you can't make her happy.

Something you can do, though, is work on the tools and skills we have here on the site. They will help ease tensions and lower the temperature. And in that sense 'make her happy'. And they will help you too, and give you space to breath.

~~ The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; who strives valiantly; who errs; who comes short again and again ... and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly ~~ Become who you are ~~
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest