Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 19, 2024, 01:09:05 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
How to communicate after a contentious divorce... Following a contentious divorce and custody battle, there are often high emotion and tensions between the parents. Research shows that constant and chronic conflict between the parents negatively impacts the children. The children sense their parents anxiety in their voice, their body language and their parents behavior. Here are some suggestions from Dean Stacer on how to avoid conflict.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Regret how I walked away  (Read 686 times)
Inner Light

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« on: August 13, 2019, 01:46:01 AM »

I snapped a couple days ago when he was laying into me in a car ride... I wonder if I could have validated what he was saying; but feel confused if that's reasonable since a person can only take being condemned for so long... I have told him in recent months that I'm burnt out and I don't have the patience anymore as I once did to defuse the anger. He has let me take on more and more responsibility and gotten less loving. Everything revolves around his problems as if he's the only one with challenges... If he was the kind of person to just back off when I ask him to or apologize even somewhat for his meanness we would still have an intact family right now but I snapped and told him it's over and to get out. I would have wanted to do it reasonably, compassionately, and planned not in the middle of the street like a lunatic. Now he's not speaking to me and this crazy guy has been my family for 14 years... I blame myself for not doing better handling him, getting him to therapy. The kids had to come first and I barely keep our heads above water. I keep telling myself it's only temporary until he realizes he played a part in our demise and decides to change and ask me to come back. I know this is unicorns and rainbows. In reality, he has just gone to paranoia and devaluing me, and projection. He says I ruined his life. I'm the one who spent down all my money to masquerade a middle class lifestyle. I'm the one with the extra pounds... I'm the one cycling through overwhelm and exhaustion. I just hope he'll be fine and find love and survive out there in the world and the kids will be okay with us separated because one thing I can do is keep carrying on.
ColdKnight

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2019, 03:01:19 AM »

I understand what you are feeling. I did something similar yesterday in a log text that didn’t pull any punches and basically blasted her out of the water.

I’m afraid it’s something that I can never come back from. It’s for the best though, for me at least, I can’t say in your situation. Only you can answer that but just know there are people who understand.

Take care of you

Take it for what it’s worth, I am no one of consequence.
Lucky Jim

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2019, 02:21:16 PM »

Hey Inner Light, Don't beat yourself up!  Everyone has his/her limit and it sounds like you reached yours, which is OK.  Suggest you put yourself first for a change and be kind to yourself.  What are your gut feelings about the r/s?  What would you like to see happen?  Fill us in, when you can.

LuckyJim

A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
George Bernard Shaw
once removed
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2019, 02:56:27 PM »

its a chicken and the egg scenario.

it sounds like this was a boiling cauldron for a long time. could it have ended better, sooner, more peacefully? sure. but it didnt.

Excerpt
I keep telling myself it's only temporary until he realizes he played a part in our demise and decides to change and ask me to come back.

was the break up with the hope that hed see the light?

and I think it's gonna be all right; yeah; the worst is over now; the mornin' sun is shinin' like a red rubber ball…
Inner Light

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2019, 10:00:37 PM »

Well I always hope he'll see the light but honestly I was just provoked and it spiraled fast with his verbal haranguing and I let out what I've been thinking for a while. He goes through cycles of grumpy, critical, dismissive (to everyone not just me). I push away tell him I've had enough then I get so lonely and fearful for him and the kids... Then I convince myself I'll just try harder to make it work. Maybe I don't feel I'm enough as a parent. He's been away visiting his family abroad for weeks at a time and handling the kids alone is so rough even if ordinarily he may only spend 5 minutes with them in a day.  But if something happens... An injury or a flat tire he's there in a flash. So I have a backup person. And maybe it's so childish but he's someone who checks in with me during the day. Maybe I can't bring up any serious topics but at least it's someone who is committed to me. I've always felt just a total aloneness, lack of family, few friends. Either they've moved or I have. I belong to a couple of groups but I'd be ashamed for them to know how needy I am.
Lucky Jim

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2019, 10:57:10 AM »

Hey InnerLight, If you're trying to make it work, maybe you would find the Bettering Board more helpful?  We're kind of jaded here on Detaching/Learning.  BTW, I agree w/Once Removed: it's like the straw that broke the camel's back in the sense that a lot came before your outburst, which is normal in my view in terms of how the pressure builds in a BPD r/s.

LJ

A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
George Bernard Shaw
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest