Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 23, 2024, 04:04:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Books members most read
The High
Conflict Couple
Loving Someone with
Borderline Personality Disorder
Loving the
Self-Absorbed
Borderline Personality
Disorder Demystified

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Feeling completely overwhelmed by adult child creating false narratives  (Read 415 times)
SAE
Fewer than 3 Posts

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Child

« on: August 08, 2019, 11:33:15 PM »

Hello. I have found my way here after reading Stop Walking on Eggshells. I’m feeling overwhelmed by my 19 year old daughter.  She has been always been a difficult yet amazing child, an only child. We have cherished her and supported her, especially as she became ill with celiac disease and needed constant care. She has depression, anxiety, and anger issues, but about 2 years ago she suddenly crafted a narrative that i was the root of all her problems. She told (and continues to tell) therapists that i phusically and verbally abused her. I know this fits into the BPD profile, but it is so horrifying. It is not at all true, and i am so confused as to how her memory can be so wrong and her feelings be so skewed. We were always very close until it suddenly changed overnight. I have given her all my love and support and now i feel like I am facing a lifetime of her blame and accusation. We go to family therapy and she is receiving additional treatment for her depression, anxiety, and an eating disorder. I am so horribly sad and overwhelmed.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2019, 07:04:15 AM by FaithHopeLove » Logged
Our objective is to better understand the struggles our child faces and to learn the skills to improve our relationship and provide a supportive environment and also improve on our own emotional responses, attitudes and effectiveness as a family leaders
FaithHopeLove
Retired Staff

Relationship status: Shaky

« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2019, 07:02:19 AM »

Hello SAE and welcome to the group. You have come to the right place to get help and support. Those narratives our BPD children create can be so painful. My son does that too sometimes. The best way I have heard it explained is people with this condition feel intense pain and cannot attribute it to something going on inside them so they conclude that someone must have caused it. Even though we know they are not true narratives are very real to them. It does no use arguing with them about it. The best you can do is validate the feeling ("I am so sorry you feel that way. It must be awful." ) without agreeing to the narrative itself, don't take it personally, and move on. Take care of yourself. Post here all you like. Feel free to vent. We are listening (reading.)
Hugs
Faith
livednlearned
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Family other
Relationship status: Married

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2019, 12:09:46 PM »

Hi SAE,

Does the family therapist recognize D19 has BPD?

Breathe.
Bluemoon23

What is your sexual orientation: Gay, lesb
Relationship status: living apart

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2019, 07:49:32 PM »

Wow!

Thank you Faith for this. I have also experienced this and that's helpful to read what that confabulation could be from and how to respond.

Welcome SAE and hugs. It's hard. It's good you found this forum to share and feel heard.

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest