Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 23, 2024, 03:47:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
VIDEO: "What is parental alienation?" Parental alienation is when a parent allows a child to participate or hear them degrade the other parent. This is not uncommon in divorces and the children often adjust. In severe cases, however, it can be devastating to the child. This video provides a helpful overview.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Divorce BPD without an L?  (Read 914 times)
maxsterling

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic Partner
Relationship status: living together, engaged

« on: August 09, 2019, 01:31:28 PM »

Has anyone gone through the divorce process with a pwBPD without a lawyer?  I was talking with my sister about her recent divorce, and was shocked that neither her nor her ex hired lawyers.  Her ex is classic NPD or possibly BPD. 

livednlearned
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Family other
Relationship status: Married

« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2019, 02:08:43 PM »

How did things work out for her?

Some states seem to have family law courts that are much more sympathetic to pro se litigants (meaning, representing yourself).

Breathe.
maxsterling

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2019, 02:19:12 PM »

I was shocked at how well it went.  She said he tired to be difficult at times, and still tries to be difficult, but I don't know if it went ok because of my sister or because of the court system where they live.  She said it did not go got trial, the judge talked them out of that, and they had some long settlement meetings, but did settle.

End result - both earn about the same amount of money.  She was not responsible for his CC debt.  One child lives with her, the other with him.  He pays her $45 per month to cover health insurance premium that she pays for the child that lives with him. 

I just thought he would throw every wrench in the works...

formflier
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2019, 03:44:13 PM »

There are legal services where you can pay a small amount $20ish per month and get essentially unlimited phone support.

I use such a plan for support with real estate and other matters.  They have also coached me and answered general questions about divorce laws in different states.

So..perhaps if you had a plan like that and were really diligent about filling out forms and reading...perhaps it would work out ok.

But here is the thing.  If you are interested in court ordered (anything) counseling, evaluations..etc etc..I can't imagine that getting done without Ls.

You know your wife best. 

When you say "hey..let's fill out these forms and get divorced...she will...?"

Best,

FF

Cat Familiar
Senior Ambassador

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2019, 04:04:07 PM »

I tried doing a collaborative divorce through Legal Aid with my ex and to my surprise, he hired the most pit bull attorney in town and went after me for everything he could get out of me. I had to get an attorney and the divorce cost more, but I was able to protect my assets better.

I thought we could do it in a civil way, but he began lying and manipulating the system. Ultimately it all worked out well, and fairly, but it was an ugly process.

“The Four Agreements  1. Be impeccable with your word.  2. Don’t take anything personally.  3. Don’t make assumptions.  4. Always do your best. ”     ― Miguel Ruiz, The Four Agreements: A Practical Guide to Personal Freedom
worriedStepmom

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner’s ex

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2019, 04:42:03 PM »

My H and his ex had an amicable divorce without an L.

At the time, she was high-functioning (waif type) yet had a tremendous fear of authority figures.  She thought if she went in front of a judge she'd lose everything. 

They also didn't have much in terms of assets.  All they had to work out was custody, and he refused to budge from 50/50 (standard in my state is 60/40). 

For our custody change last summer, we hired a lawyer.  xW did not show up at the temporary orders hearing date (fear of authority), so judge ruled H got whatever he wanted.  We had to pay the whole retainer - but without the hearing looming over her head, I don't think xW would have actually signed the paperwork.

MeandThee29

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Divorced

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2019, 05:26:56 PM »

I'd give it a try. If nothing else, you can save some money if some of the issues are decided between you. Initially we planned to work it all out between the two of us and then have his lawyer draw it up for my lawyer to review.

However, I felt uneasy when I found out who mine hired to supposedly finalize what we were going to negotiate between ourselves. I had already dug up enough stories and got an early vibe that I didn't like. I actually refocused my search to find a better match for his lawyer. I paid the retainer and consulted him about what to watch for in the one-on-one related to my situation.

It worked for awhile. When I had enough of the attacks, I took the bits-and-pieces minus the attacks to my lawyer, who wrote a proper draft agreement and took over the negotiations. It was eye-opening to have my lawyer talk through all of the issues with the self-written agreement. His goal is to have an agreement that will survive any legal challenge, so there were some things he took out as being problematic and others he put in.

They objected to some items, and we countered. Waiting again.

It's horribly expensive, but if you have some assets, consider it an investment in your future. I know people who did it themselves but had no problem dividing things and didn't have much to begin with.

maxsterling

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2019, 05:36:44 PM »

Interesting, everyone.

I'm more thinking about my sister, and wondering if anyone else had similar experiences.  

Regarding my W - She would probably want a L to try and stick me with everything.  Of course, she could not afford a L - so my guess is that she would either a) wind up in the hospital b) reluctantly sign to anything so long as she got enough to take care of herself and the kids after giving a pity story.  

Right now she is saying she wants a separation.  I'm at my wits end, so this doesn't really phase me.  I've been planning for how this will be.  The funny thing is she is not asking for anything (no - "you will have to pay for my new apartment" - instead it is "I could work enough and with my disability I could earn enough to take care of myself")  I think she wouldn't want much of my help.  Of course, I would sell the house, and I would give her half of the equity.  That's a great deal fro her considering she never had anything to do with the house (I bought it before I met her).  But legally, she gets half of whatever equity the house has accumulated since the time we got married.  And when we got married, it had about 0 equity.  I would simply offer her half in hopes that she would take the roughly $25K and hopefully not have to support her any more after that.  

Turkish
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Other
Relationship status: "Divorced"/abandoned by SO in Feb 2013; Mother with BPD, PTSD, Depression and Anxiety: RIP in 2021.

Dad to my wolf pack

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2019, 11:47:37 PM »

Not divorce, but seperation with kids, then D1 and S3.

We worked out the custody amicably, driven by me with a lawyer.  The CS was just math. I gave her a "severance" of a few thousand and let her live with us for four months, free room and board so she could save up.  Then I paid a $1k down payment so she could get a new car.

I hired the lawyer so I wouldn't miss anything.  She had wanted to do custody and CS without filing. No way! I kept her apprised of the process, didn't shame,  and used the bettering tools.  Surprisingly, she seemed afraid of going to court which was odd given she got an RO on the BF before me and an ex-parte RO on her current stbxh's brother. She seemed relived that we could file with the county without going to court. 

Do what you need to do for yourself and your kids max.

“For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.” ― Rudyard Kipling
mart555

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2019, 10:32:04 AM »

Even with lawyers, nothing prevents you from talking things over to try and come up with an agreement.   There are different levels of BPD and NPD.  I ended up with a category 5 divorce on both levels so yeah, lawyer it is.  And so far, it's expensive but seems to be paying off because the lawyer is protecting me from myself (ie: I'd be tempted to give too much as a caretaker and then regret it).

And in my case, I fear screwing up and losing the kids to her so I'm trying to minimize my chances of mistakes by using a lawyer. 

livednlearned
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Family other

« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2019, 11:42:06 AM »

I think it's a little like doing surgery on yourself.

I would only recommend it if you have some really good leverage, feel your head is clear and you can focus on scaling a steep learning curve, and have some other kind of experience with the legal system and/or live in a county where family law courts are known for being lenient with pro se litigants.

Breathe.
formflier
Retired Staff

« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2019, 11:50:32 AM »

I think it's a little like doing surgery on yourself.

Great analogy!

If it is simple and there is something buried in your skin, slicing it open yourself and tweezing it out shouldn't be too bad.

If it's complicated...you may pass out before you finish surgery.

Best,

FF

MeandThee29

Relationship status: Divorced

« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2019, 12:13:13 PM »

And so far, it's expensive but seems to be paying off because the lawyer is protecting me from myself (ie: I'd be tempted to give too much as a caretaker and then regret it).

And in my case, I fear screwing up and losing the kids to her so I'm trying to minimize my chances of mistakes by using a lawyer. 

My lawyer commented one time that the law actually protects nice people too. I was wanting to cave on things where the law is black-and-white. Sure you can put anything in an agreement, but why agree to things that are contrary to the law? He told me about several cases where people gave in, and then later got into a bind and went back to court to have those things overturned with all of the expense and trouble over something that was cut-and-dried when the judge got it. He also told me of a probate situation where the children went back to court and had part of the agreement overturned that should never been in there in the first place. He didn't provide details of course.

OK, I'm paying to get it right the first time. Got it.
maxsterling

« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2019, 12:22:31 PM »

Interesting comments, everyone.

Honestly, the way my W is right now, I think any L would ultimately regret taking her on.  It seems she has about zero control over her emotional responses right now, and I doubt she is capable of following L's instructions.  

mart555

« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2019, 12:40:33 PM »

Honestly, the way my W is right now, I think any L would ultimately regret taking her on.  It seems she has about zero control over her emotional responses right now, and I doubt she is capable of following L's instructions.  

This is not your problem.  Well, it is. But you are divorcing for a reason: you want to get out of this.  If she can't follow her L's instruction, you think she'll follow yours and agree with something?

ForeverDad
Retired Staff

Relationship status: separated 2005 then divorced

You can't reason with the Voice of Unreason...

« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2019, 01:01:36 AM »

Splitting the kids between parents is not a typical arrangement.  (Think of the movies Parent Trap.)  Do the kids still get to be siblings together at least some of the time?

I know this is an oversimplification (and there are many exceptions to typical patterns) but many here seem to report that more fathers than mothers are willing to walk away from controlling the parenting.  You are instead dealing with a disordered mother, so what worked for your sister may not work for you.

Still, at the very least you should have a lawyer in the background so the lawyer can prepare or review documents so that you can avoid the common traps and loopholes that may not seem obvious until they later cause great pain and frustrations.

Cat Familiar
Senior Ambassador

« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2019, 05:16:36 PM »

There's things in life where it's appropriate to be frugal. Divorce with children is not one of them. However, you can minimize your attorney time by doing as much yourself as possible. But there are so many traps one can fall into without awareness of the legal ramifications. Get a good attorney.

“The Four Agreements  1. Be impeccable with your word.  2. Don’t take anything personally.  3. Don’t make assumptions.  4. Always do your best. ”     ― Miguel Ruiz, The Four Agreements: A Practical Guide to Personal Freedom
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest