Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 25, 2024, 06:56:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Before you can make things better, you have to stop making them worse... Have you considered that being critical, judgmental, or invalidating toward the other parent, no matter what she or he just did will only make matters worse? Someone has to be do something. This means finding the motivation to stop making things worse, learning how to interrupt your own negative responses, body language, facial expressions, voice tone, and learning how to inhibit your urges to do things that you later realize are contributing to the tensions.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Realizing my Soon to be X may have BPD.  (Read 378 times)
Forgivenpagan
Fewer than 3 Posts

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« on: October 10, 2019, 05:25:08 PM »

Looking for a good book or two to help me get out from under her control. Almost final in the divorce, but I had to give up custody of my son. I have 7 other kids with my late wife so I’m concentrating on them. Sorry for rambling
anonymous_non-BP

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2019, 07:47:23 PM »

"Stop Walking on Eggshells"  - Mason & Kreger was my breakthrough book for understanding BPD
ForeverDad
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: separated 2005 then divorced

You can't reason with the Voice of Unreason...

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2019, 09:59:03 PM »

Splitting: Protecting Yourself While Divorcing Someone with Borderline or Narcissistic Personality Disorder by William Eddy.  He also has other books dealing with Personality Disorders on his website HighConflictInstitute.com.

Also, Divorce Poison by Richard Warshak.

Excerpt
Almost final in the divorce, but I had to give up custody of my son.

Could you also explain why you're losing custody of your youngest child?  Custody as you used it is a general term than can cover a variety of aspects of parenting.

• Unless you are confirmed in court with the professionals as a risk to the child, such as substantive child abuse, endangerment or neglect, no court will award sole custody to the other parent unless you acquiesce and allow it.
  • Courts default to joint custody unless there is basis for another solution.  However, courts can and do assign temporary custody to one parent in a temp order during the divorce process.  (My then-spouse had temp custody during my 2 year divorce simply because she was the mother, but it ended with the final decree.)
  • In many states... "custody" refers to the manner that major issues such as medical, schooling, religion, etc are assigned.  The "parenting schedule" details which parent gets the children and when.  It may be equal time or some variation such as 75/25, etc.
  • The court will also establish rules for a variety of parenting matters.  For example, both parents get holiday time, usually alternating.  Holidays get the priority, then vacations, then the regular weekly or biweekly schedule.

Please let us know what the general status is in your current divorce case.  You don't have to give up your child, almost always there is a way to hold onto at least some level of custody and parenting.

I wonder if you had to "give up custody" because you were trying to reach a deal and your stbEx refused to be reasonable in negotiations and the demands were overwhelming to you.

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest