Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 25, 2024, 04:46:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Our abuse recovery guide
Survivor to Thriver | Free download.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Part 2: Is it all bad?  (Read 415 times)
Spindle0516

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Inlaw

« on: November 11, 2019, 11:31:49 PM »

Mod Note:  Part 1 of this thread is here:  https://bpdfamily.com/message_board/index.php?topic=340569.0;all

Even though I have learned so much about BPD in the past few months, I still can't get over how all your BPD SO's are just like my mom.  All my life I thought my mom was a one of a kind quirky, difficult, high maintenance mom who was sometimes just "impossible".  It's just so surprising to me that so many of the traits that I thought were always peculiar to her, are so common to other's SO's.  It's remarkable to me how BP's use money to get attention and focus on them.  

Holy moly. I definately relate to this. We always thought my MIL was "quirky," "difficult," and "sometimes impossible." We often used those exact words to describe her. This was obviously before we learned about BPD. This thread kind of creeps me out because I feel like in some ways, we are all describing the same person!

My MIL jokingly (but not) insisted on paying, got hurt if I refused a used piece of furniture I didn't need, and had parameters about how to use furniture I'd accepted.

Goodness gracious! This is my MIL as well! When we moved to NYC, we asked my MIL if she wanted to come with us. (Knowing what we know now, we probably wouldn't do this again, but alas, here we are.) When she said she wanted to come, we had several parameters in place.
1. This is our apartment. She pays a portion to contribute to rent, but we are the heads of the household. (We only have her contribute to rent because she had certain requirements like an elevator and we could not afford those amenities. My husband and I would be okay with living much more simply otherwise.)
2. We told her that we will likely run the house differently than she did and she has to be okay with taking the back seat to all of that.

She agreed. She said she was tired of running a household anyway.

As we were preparing for the move, she would not stop ordering things she thought we needed. We asked her to stop. Moving all that extra stuff to NY was going to cost a lot of money, but she kept insisting we needed to buy all that stuff before we left. It was as if towels don't exist in NYC.

We kept reminding her that this was our apartment and we were excited to create a home together, but it fell on deaf ears. She even ordered multiple sets of sheets for our bed without considering if we wanted them. (Nevermind the fact that she didn't buy herself any sheets and were sent on a mission to get some for her when we got here.) When I told her to stop buying sheets for us, she seemed insulted.

She also offered us some furniture that she had in her house for us to use. We didn't want it. We were okay with not having a lot and purchasing things that met our taste/needs as we settled in. She kept insisting and we told her that we didn't need it initially, but she finally said she was paying to ship everything because she couldn't live without those things. We decided to use it until we could afford to replace it. She agreed to that plan.

However, fast forward a year, we begin to settle in and have financially recovered from moving. We started to replace pieces of furniture and she could not comprehend why we wanted to do so. She was offended. She cried. She tried to convince us to keep using it. She could not remember agreeing to it. She moved ALL OF IT into her bedroom in addition to what was already there.

At that point, she had also started saying that we told her she had to move with us because we could not afford NY without her. (On the contrary, it would be substantially cheaper without her.)

For a while, we kept saying the same things. She is "quirky," "difficult," "impossible," but now we realize it has always been much more than that.

So I am really connecting to the topic of how money is used to manipulate and have the bpd's own needs met.  I wonder if to a BP, money = power?
I've also been thinking about this a lot. I've been telling my husband about this thread and he was struck by how much of it sounded like his mom. We were both saying that with my MIL, it is often as if things of value, money, gifts- when those things are rejected, her reaction is often so intense it feels like we are doing something as extreme as directly hurting her child. Where we see a rejection of physical or monteray gifts, it is like she sees it as a betrayal to who she is. She doesn't have an identity or worth unless she can provide those things.

Since she has become "disabled," she really struggles with an inability to buy and pay for things. This time of year is especially difficult because she cannot buy expensive gifts and she does not understand that we love her because she is family, not because of what she can/cannot buy.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2019, 01:13:10 PM by Harri, Reason: split due to length » Logged
Methuen

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent

« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2019, 12:43:49 AM »

Excerpt
she does not understand that we love her because she is family, not because of what she can/cannot buy

Bingo!

And that is probably one reason why it's called a personality disorder and why positive  relationships are such a struggle where BPD is involved. Frustrated/Unfortunate (click to insert in post)  

Excerpt
This thread kind of creeps me out because I feel like in some ways, we are all describing the same person!

Exactly!  It's just crazy that so many different people can have the same upside down traits, and that us non BP's share such similar stories.  I guess this is probably why BPD made it into the DSM.  

The good news for me has been to discover I'm not alone.

« Last Edit: November 12, 2019, 12:55:42 AM by Methuen » Logged
pursuingJoy
Retired Staff

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2019, 06:15:00 AM »

At that point, she had also started saying that we told her she had to move with us because we could not afford NY without her. (On the contrary, it would be substantially cheaper without her.)

Spindle you've had quite the journey with your mil. You started with boundaries that she just kept pushing.

This last phrase really struck me, mine has done the same turnabout. We were going to move in together when we first got married. My only boundary was to find a house with an in-law suite or separate apartment. We found several houses (sacrificing our family's needs, like space, school district, and location to make sure she had what she needed) but when it came time for her to look at them, she was unhappy with every detail of her part, whether it was molding not being installed to her liking or not enough windows. I was baffled. My husband thought she just wasn't ready to move.

MIL decided not to move in. I know now I dodged a bullet.

Six yrs later my MIL still desperately wants to move in with us. Not long ago, she told me, " You've never wanted me to move in with you." She decided that somewhere in her head and clings to that. I'm standing between her and her supply, her son.

I reminded her that it was her decision not to move in. She agreed. I also shared that her son and I agreed since that she would not move in.

What complicates my boundary setting is that he is her last surviving son, and my husband's dad died 10 years ago. They are both still grieving pretty heavily. The moment I hesitate to accept a piece of furniture that was his dads, or ask why he/she needs to (fill in the blank), I am perceived as heartless and they say I lack sympathy. That's a huge trigger for me.

Methuen and others have successfully set the "dont allow her to play for anything" boundary so I'm going to continue to work towards that. GaGrl, the story you told about your husband's ex is a good example of infantilization, isn't it?

I'm with you all, this is eerie. In a clinical way, how fascinating that abuse/trauma results in nearly identical behavior. And I wonder why people don't talk about BPD? I'm familiar with other PD's, but until 4 months ago id never heard of borderline.

pj

Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another: What! You too? ~CS Lewis
Notwendy

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2019, 06:41:59 AM »

Watching my husband refuse to accept that his mom is less than perfect has granted me a lot of respect for those of you that have had the courage to face reality.

It's hard to see the dysfunction in our own families. We grew up with this- so we see it as normal. We don't know any better as kids.

I think it is also easier to be the one to see the issues in my own family. My mother is way more dysfunctional than my H's parents, but his family also has some issues. In my family- it was overt- my mother's rages were hard to miss. In his family, the behavior was more on the "being nice and controlling" part.

Thankfully their behaviors were not so disruptive that we needed to have boundaries with them but I did wish my H would see the patterns in his family as a means of awareness. He can vent about them, but if I do - he gets angry. He feels he is betraying them somehow if he discusses this. When I speak about my mother sometimes, I feel a sense of dread and fear- like I am doing something very wrong by discussing her. I believe these are from childhood. We didn't dare speak about her. We were expected to act as if everything was normal.

You might want to consider this- when the focus is on your MIL- it takes the focus off your H and his own feelings. These are probably difficult for him. But they are his feelings to work on in his own time.
zachira
Ambassador

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Sibling

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2019, 10:30:22 AM »

My mother with BPD always wanted to pay for everything. She never wanted to acknowledge that any of her children worked and had the means to support themselves. She did not want her children to get married and kept trying to get all of us to live with her. We were not separate people from her. From this thread, I now understand better why mom wanted to pay for everything even though many times we did not allow her to do so.

pursuingJoy
Retired Staff

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2019, 01:31:46 PM »

You might want to consider this- when the focus is on your MIL- it takes the focus off your H and his own feelings. These are probably difficult for him. But they are his feelings to work on in his own time.

Timely comment. In MC we are working solely on how to improve our communication, we don't talk about his mom. I've quit doing it at home, too. He is just not ready. You're right, they are his feelings to work through in his time.

Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another: What! You too? ~CS Lewis
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest