Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
March 29, 2024, 03:38:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Popular books with members
Surviving a
Borderline Parent

Emotional Blackmail
Fear, Obligation, and Guilt
When Parents Make
Children Their Partners
Healing the
Shame That Binds You

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: BPD is starving her child  (Read 411 times)
EmiBee
Fewer than 3 Posts

What is your sexual orientation: Confidential
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Sibling
Relationship status: Sister

« on: December 07, 2019, 08:45:01 PM »

My niece is a budding gymnast and is highly skilled. She is 12 years old and my bpd sister constantly makes her practise and stretch, but most concerning - she controls everything my niece eats and although my niece is worryingly thin, my sister constantly comments on her weight and points out where she's "fat" - which is absolutely nowhere, the child's bones are protruding for crying out loud. If she thinks my niece has put on so much as a pound my sister will up her daughter's exercise regime.

As you can imagine my bpd sister will make our lives hell if we call her out on her behavior. Despite that, we do go into bat for my niece, but that only seems to make things worse. My sister will just take out her rage on her daughter.

My dear niece loves gym and wants to be a gymnast, but her mom takes advantage of my niece's passion and uses it against her, telling her "if you want to be a gymnast then you have to practise this much and eat the way I tell you". We are at a loss and don't know what to do to help my niece. Child services have visited but of course my sister is so great at spinning her own truth and getting people to feel sorry for her that nothing has come of it.

I have searched online and can't find any similar stories of parents abusing their children in this manner for gym/dance/other goals. I'm desperate to hear from anyone who may have witnessed a similar dynamic. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,

Emi
Turkish
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Other
Relationship status: "Divorced"/abandoned by SO in Feb 2013; Mother with BPD, PTSD, Depression and Anxiety: RIP in 2021.

Dad to my wolf pack

« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2019, 09:20:39 PM »

My mom's neighbor was very involved with her daughter's gymnastics. The daughter developed bulimia and possibly anorexia as a likely result.  The daughter moved away and got married.  What was telling was that when her dad left her mom for a younger woman, daughter didn't hold it against him and practiced emotional cut-off towards her mom. 

How did  CPS become involved the first time? How is your relationship with your niece?

“For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.” ― Rudyard Kipling
zachira
Ambassador

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Sibling

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2019, 09:33:56 PM »

I hear your loving concern for your niece. Every time there is a report to CPS, CPS has to investigate again in some form. Also, CPS does not share what actions they take which can be recommending counseling or doing a follow up at some point.

Methuen

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2019, 01:57:43 AM »

I wonder what the gymnastics coaches have to say about her diet?  Gymnasts need muscle, and muscle needs food protein with iron and all the other micronutrients.  I would hope the coaches also coach about healthy eating with their gymnasts.  That is usually included in the training, so hopefully your niece is getting exposed to healthier ideas there, than she is with her mother.

Do you see your nieces relationship with good as being healthy, or unhealthy (influenced by unhealthy ideas about body image)?

Granted she may appear to be thin, but is it possible that could be after a growth spurt, and her body weight  has yet to catch up after the vertical growth?  I’m not questioning your concern, just putting the idea out there. 

A trip to see a registered dietitian could be helpful as that would be objective medical dietary support , especially as it would take into account the needs for her sport.  Where I live, anyone can make an appt  to see a dietitian ( a doctors referral is not needed).  A dietitian would look at her height/weight/body fat, listen to her activity schedule, consider her medical history and dietary preferences, and make recommendations.  If the mother has unhealthy ideas, she could unwittingly expose them, and the dietitian may pick up on it.

Just a thought.

« Last Edit: December 08, 2019, 02:14:54 AM by Methuen » Logged
Methuen

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2019, 02:46:18 PM »

Excerpt
Do you see your nieces relationship with good as being healthy, or unhealthy (influenced by unhealthy ideas about body image)?

This should say "food"
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest