Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 25, 2024, 12:26:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
VIDEO: "What is parental alienation?" Parental alienation is when a parent allows a child to participate or hear them degrade the other parent. This is not uncommon in divorces and the children often adjust. In severe cases, however, it can be devastating to the child. This video provides a helpful overview.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Does this mean I'm now successfully holding my boundaries?  (Read 473 times)
Caco Canepa

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« on: January 02, 2020, 03:29:36 AM »

Hello -- Long time since I've posted. I was married for 4 years to a UBPD, had a nasty divorce, but we are now successfully co-parenting, and it seems that, by holding my boundaries with my ex-wife, I've encouraged her to largely curtail the violent and abusive behavior that was common when we were together.

And so, moving forward in life...

Having been married twice now, I'm not interested in ever being married again, and am highly skeptical of romantic love and the concept of finding "the one." I've started viewing all romantic relationships as limited and temporary — they all have an expiration date, and that's OK, and I should learn to be OK with that. I don't ever want to get so invested in a relationship that I'm devastated if it were to end. I still enjoy the company of intimate partners — the connection and pleasure of sex when it happens, and hours spent over coffee or time in the woods in meaningful conversations, learning about people's lives and what makes them tick. I do nothing to lead anyone on to thinking I want more than that, and I'm up-front about everything I've said in this paragraph.

(Sometimes I question whether this point of view is healthy for myself; I'm hashing that over with my therapist. But it seems to be my truth right now)

About a year after the break, I started casually dating someone. It seemed from the start that she was more interested in me than I in her. She clarified that she didn't want the standard "relationship ladder," wasn't interested in monogamy or living together or marriage or a family. I was fine with that, and I shared my above thoughts with her — that my priorities are
  • My child
  • My self-care and personal health
  • My work
  • My friends, family and relationships

At first the relationship seemed ideal — we'd go camping, have fantastic and frequent sex, she'd bring me fresh-baked cookies and have sex. After a few months, though, something started making me uncomfortable — she wanted to have more of my time, and i started to wonder whether I was getting love-bombed. Then she let me know she was experiencing panic attacks at her work (retail) in which she would collapse in tears in front of customers who might have just been looking for socks. She confided in me that she suffered from PTSD from abandonment trauma — she felt abandoned and neglected by her parents and past lovers. She started having panic attacks when we were together.

Then in December she took a leave of absence from work and pretty much holed up in her apartment, resisting my invitations to go out for a hike or a meal. She wanted me around, wanted support, sex, company, to be held. I started to get very uncomfortable with this — it seemed she'd alienated all her friends, it didn't feel healthy to me, and it started to conflict with boundaries I had set around my time. I started feeling responsible for her and her mental state. I started to feel as though I was being held hostage — that if I were to leave to go home, she might start self-harming or worse (She has self-cutting scars on her hips, and had a troubled youth).

When I'd try to leave, she would insist that she needed "After-care" following traumatic conversations. It was starting to feel very co-dependent.

I finally told her that I wanted to remain supportive during this time — that she clearly was having a rough time and was in a lot of pain; but that I need to scale our relationship back to platonic out of responsibility to my own needs. This didn't sit well with her — "You waited until the worst possible moment to dump me!" etc. Our discourse deteriorated — I tried to offer support and empathy and love the best I could without compromising myself, and she insisted that any communication I made was "invalidating" and that my "boundaries" were a way of washing my hands of her.

I dreaded the prospect of talking to her. At some point, I stopped answering her calls because they'd turn into hours-long crying/accusation spells where I felt I couldn't offer any more support, and I told her so. She ended with a few text/email bursts and a "do not contact me again."

On one hand, I feel relieved. I think I learned from my previous marriage not to get manipulated into caretaking and putting my own needs aside; It feels as though in this case, I was able to listen to my intuition, and to separate myself from a situation that I wasn't comfortable in.

On the other hand, I feel a lot of lingering guilt wondering — could I have handled this better, with more empathy for a person who was in extreme anguish? Was I holding my boundaries, or did I cross over into being an abandoning jerk? How does one know?

And yet another part of me misses the intense sexual connection I had with this person and wonders whether I could have built something meaningful If i'd "Leaned in" on the relationship instead of walked away.

Ah, live and learn. Have any of you had similar situations, and what do you make of it?

Happy new year — Caco
once removed
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2020, 02:32:36 AM »

Excerpt
(Sometimes I question whether this point of view is healthy for myself; I'm hashing that over with my therapist. But it seems to be my truth right now)

its okay if this is your truth right now.

there are a lot of women out there who decide they dont want children, and they hear over and over again from loved ones that one day theyll change their minds. or they hear appeals about what theyll be missing out on. it is your place to decide what your love life is going to look like in the future.

i would ask though, do you find yourself emotionally reserved? distrustful? afraid of investing and being hurt again?

i think thats a relatively normal thing coming out of a traumatic relationship. i had a number of them myself, even before my ex. and looking back, i was so afraid of that pain, it was to the point that i didnt trust myself, let alone others. i didnt trust myself to be discerning enough. to protect myself.

i can tell you that im in a very different place, nine years later. im far more confident than i ever was. i have a more mature and deeper understanding of love, and a greater capacity to give and receive it.

fear of intimacy will ultimately hinder your love life. it is also a natural reaction to pain, to the detaching process. its one of those things thats really important to acknowledge, and to heed, and to work with. and it can help you to gauge your detaching process.

you found yourself in a tricky relationship in your detaching process. it happens. i had a couple of them myself. there is a lot of trial and error in the latter stages of detaching. the dating world is complicated. its always changing. and going from marriage to just dating and getting to know someone is a totally different world. i would talk about this here on the boards, as well as with your therapist. build your skills for the modern dating world.

i dont know if theres a whole lot of right and wrong here. how do you feel about how you ended it? about how it ended?

and I think it's gonna be all right; yeah; the worst is over now; the mornin' sun is shinin' like a red rubber ball…
Forgiveness

What is your sexual orientation: Gay, lesb

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2020, 02:18:45 PM »

Thank you for sharing your story.

I don't know if you could be doing anything better or differently with this person, but my question is: are you drawn to a certain type? Is there a pattern in the women you are meeting?

I have been in a long term secure relationship so I know it's possible (my wife died three years ago.) In my grief I found I was attracted to drama people. Why? Who knows. It has to do with a dopamine hit and intermittent reinforcement. My reasons are complicated.

My therapist recommended this book, Attached by Amir Levine and Rachel Heller, which I loved. It's an easy read and very eye-opening.

https://www.attachedthebook.com/wordpress/

This was a very helpful way of looking at ALL relationships.

PS Mods-- I hope it's OK that I'm linking to this book!
SinisterComplex
Senior Ambassador

Relationship status: Broken Up

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2020, 11:21:43 AM »

"I don't know if you could be doing anything better or differently with this person, but my question is: are you drawn to a certain type? Is there a pattern in the women you are meeting?"

This is the point I would have brought up, but Forgiveness nailed it here already. You must definitely do some inner work and realize that what you are projecting out into the universe is a why a certain keeps getting put in your path. Do not dismiss the idea of karma or the law of attraction.

And Caco...keep up the good work. I commend you on doing the best you can. No one said it was easy. Just keep on keeping on and I wish you well. As I always say to everyone for support purposes...Want Better, Expect Better, Do Better!

Cheers and best wishes!

-SC-

Through Adversity There is Redemption!
Caco Canepa

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2020, 05:03:17 AM »

Hi SC, Forgiveness, Onceremoved --

Thanks for your replies and for checking in!  Welcome new member (click to insert in post)

"Are you drawn to a certain type." -- I've been doing a lot of work in group and individual therapy on this specifically, and have been learning a lot about myself. My first wife was uBPD as well as my second, and I think this particular girl might have been my third or fourth. I've also dated some really wonderful women where the relationships ended for different reasons. The BPDs definitely were their own thing — maybe the most operatic and intense relationships I had.

Therapy has been bringing up some stuff from my early childhood — my parents weren't really that big an influence on me but I was largely brought up by my superstitious, anxious, ultra-Catholic grandmother and my mom's two teenage sisters. (we all lived in the same apartment building.)  One of my aunts had a terrible, explosive temper — could be very loving and fun one minute, but if I annoyed her by dawdling, wetting myself, or showing bad table manners, she could explode into a horrible rage. She would break my toys, slap me with hands and shoes, and even broke a dinner plate full of spaghetti right in front of me because my slurping the noodles got on her nerves. My parents never stood up for me when she'd behave like this. She was hard for them to deal with, and would storm away from confrontations by slamming doors and shattering glass.

I've wondered whether I developed some sort of attraction/attachment to my aunt, despite the fearsome abuse, and have been drawn to women who exhibit this sort of craziness. I wonder what kind of need I'm trying to fulfill by getting involved. Hm.
Forgiveness

What is your sexual orientation: Gay, lesb

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2020, 09:44:47 AM »

Good noticing. Sometimes intensity feels like intimacy.

Other times, it's not that we are drawn to a behavior but that we tolerate that behavior because it's familiar. We had to tolerate it as kids so we don't notice it as a red flag where other people would run away as soon as they see it.
SinisterComplex
Senior Ambassador

Relationship status: Broken Up

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2020, 11:52:58 PM »

"Good noticing. Sometimes intensity feels like intimacy." - Forgiveness, this is perhaps the most important sign to pay attention to. Disordered individuals use intensity as a catalyst to set the wheels in motion to begin their manipulation. Yes every crackpot out there will want to argue against what I am saying here, but the truth is disordered individuals operate differently than us supposed normal people. Are the people themselves monsters? No I am not saying that. The disorders are the monsters. However, disordered individuals do manipulate people and situations by their inherent nature because they are lacking. In essence, intensity is used to overcompensate and as a tool to snow innocent people over so to speak. Thank you for bringing that important point up.

Cheers and best wishes!

-SC-

Through Adversity There is Redemption!
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest