Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
March 28, 2024, 08:35:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Beware of Junk Psychology... Just because it's on the Internet doesn't mean it's true. Not all blogs and online "life coaches" are reliable, accurate, or healthy for you. Remember, there is no oversight, no competency testing, no registration, and no accountability for many sites - it is up to you to qualify the resource. Learn how to navigate this complicated arena...
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Recovering from the aftermath of BPD when moving on...  (Read 382 times)
iluminati

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Divorced

« on: February 17, 2020, 06:39:54 PM »

It's been 10 years since I've first showed on these boards.  I've learned a lot, served as an ambassador, split up with my exwBPD, and moved on with my life.  Yet one incident this weekend set me back to those dark days.

Here's the background.  My D10 is tuning out in class.  Despite doing well on exams and on state tests, my daughter's school is contemplating leaving her back.  To fight this, my daughter's school and I (upon advice from mental health pros) agreed to have a special education evaluation.  My daughter did well on the learning skills part.  In fact, she did well enough to the point where the psychologist doing it asked me point blank "what is she doing here?"  The problems arose when I did my daughter's social history with a social worker.

During said social history, I was asked if there was a history of mental illness in either of my families.  While there isn't much of one on my side, there's my exwBPD history of mental illness, along with her father and grandmother.  I mentioned the ER visits and the hospitalizations.  A week later, a copy of the social history was sent to me, and I forwarded it on to my exwBPD. 

And that's when I got hit with the Oh Shoot Effect.

She called me, and asked me first about the next steps of the special education process.  I told her about what was going on, and what to expect.  Then she brought up the social history and the ER visits.  The social history exaggerated slightly with the ER visits (I said 10-15, while the social history said 15+), but was otherwise accurate.  She told me that all of those ER visits were for fibroids, and how dare I say anything otherwise.  I said repeatedly that I wasn't discussing that, I wasn't going to relitigate the past, and if we could move on.

Afterwards, I was seething at being gaslit.  I knew how often I was in those ERs for mental health crises, overdoses and all the trips to the mental hospital.  I leaned on my support network, but I was PISSED. 

So, has any had to deal with the experience of being gaslit over mental health treatment you know has occured?  And how did you deal with it?

He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous.~ Matthew 5:45
PeteWitsend

« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2020, 12:09:47 AM »

I haven't been gaslit over that particular issue, but my uBPDxw recently started adding "editorials" to our otherwise routine communications about our kids' schedules, and alleging I "stole" money from her during our divorce. 

What money, how much, and why she didn't bring this up during the divorce if she knew about it are all questions I don't bother asking. 

I just focus on exchanging the information I need to share or receive, and ignore everything else she says.  Sometimes it's easier said than done, but I remind myself of some advice I receive from a family member who went through a similar nasty divorce: don't engage as that's what they want; staying silent is more upsetting to disordered people than arguing with them or getting upset with them. 
Lucky Jim

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2020, 10:00:25 AM »

Hey illuminati, I suggest you stand in your truth.  You know what happened.  It's unlikely your Ex will change her mind about "her" version of events.  Don't JADE.  You are aware that she's gaslighting you, which means you need not accept her altered reality.  I'm sorry to hear about the impact on your D10.  It sounds like your D is suffering, at least to some extent.  Suggest you treat your D with love and compassion and, in the meantime, don't buy into your Ex's revisionist history.

LuckyJim

A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
George Bernard Shaw
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest