Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 25, 2024, 03:09:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Parents! Get help here!
Saying "I need help" is a huge first step. Here is what to do next.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Any scholarships available for school or therapy?  (Read 393 times)
smomruby

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Child

« on: February 10, 2020, 12:42:04 PM »

Looking for any grants, programs or scholarships to pay for therapeutic school in us.
Our objective is to better understand the struggles our child faces and to learn the skills to improve our relationship and provide a supportive environment and also improve on our own emotional responses, attitudes and effectiveness as a family leaders
Swimmy55
Retired Staff

Relationship status: Estranged

« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2020, 10:09:01 AM »

You could approach each hospital and see if they have such.  Also call your
health insurance and your child's therapist as there is a lot of navigation/ paperwork, etc..
~My DS's long journey included being hospitalized the whole summer of '09 at Sheppard Pratt Hospital before RICA. My insurance   covered the co pays until the catastrophic limit was reached, then they covered 100% for a while after that.    
~The very last resort is working with social worker/ therapists  to have child go into the state's medical assistance program, which basically means the child is a ward of the state for this to happen .  Parents work with social worker though and are in on treatment plans, meeting with the child's mental health team periodically, etc.  You would also have to pay child support to the state depending on your income.  
This is how it was back in '09, in Maryland, maybe a thing or two has changed since then...

Harri
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2020, 10:27:09 AM »

Quote from:  Swimmy
The very last resort is working with social worker/ therapists  to have child go into the state's medical assistance program, which basically means the child is a ward of the state for this to happen .  Parents work with social worker though and are in on treatment plans, meeting with the child's mental health team periodically, etc.  You would also have to pay child support to the state depending on your income. 
This is how it was back in '09, in Maryland, maybe a thing or two has changed since then...
This sounds like a good solution when all else fails Swimmy.  I imagine it must have been incredibly difficult to take those steps and it is sobering to know that sometimes this is the best choice to get a child help.  To me, it sounds like you and your husband took a leap of faith as loving, dedicated and concerned parents. 

"What is to give light must endure burning." ~Viktor Frankl
pursuingJoy
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Inlaw

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2020, 10:47:04 AM »

Looking for any grants, programs or scholarships to pay for therapeutic school in us.

smomruby, I don't have experience with this but I want you to feel supported, so I'm brainstorming with you. I didn't see much on grants but I found this website that offers some really practical advice about financial options to pay for therapeutic schools, including what Swimmy suggested about checking with your medical insurance provider (some pay for the first 30 days). A brief online search resulted in lists of schools that use a sliding scale fee system based on income.

The very last resort is working with social worker/ therapists  to have child go into the state's medical assistance program, which basically means the child is a ward of the state for this to happen .  Parents work with social worker though and are in on treatment plans, meeting with the child's mental health team periodically, etc.  You would also have to pay child support to the state depending on your income. 

Agree with Harri, Swimmy. You pulled out all the stops when he needed you to. I admire your love for your son.

Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another: What! You too? ~CS Lewis
Swimmy55
Retired Staff

Relationship status: Estranged

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2020, 10:33:28 AM »

With affection (click to insert in post)

smallbirds

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2020, 12:55:58 PM »

Please consult with an education attorney. You may be able to get your child placed in a "nonpublic" school, as part of an IEP. It is a complicated process that starts with having your child assessed by the school district and/or an outside mental health professional. If your child is determined to have a "severe emotional disturbance," he or she may be entitled to accommodations from the school that could include the school district paying for therapy or placed in a nonpublic therapeutic school.

I strongly advice you to consult with an attorney asap. Some will do a free initial consultation to tell you whether they can help you. I had a really excellent experience with an attorney in CA. 
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest