Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
March 29, 2024, 03:11:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Experts share their discoveries [video]
Could it be BPD
BPDFamily.com Production
Listening to shame
Brené Brown, PhD
What is BPD?
Blasé Aguirre, MD
What BPD recovery looks like
Documentary
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ex constantly giving me confusing signals  (Read 357 times)
Unsure101

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« on: February 12, 2020, 03:00:45 PM »

Ok, so it's been a tough ride these last few months.

Me and my ex partner broke up around last August, so around 6 months ago now.

During that time it's been a rollercoaster for me, she's seen other people, and been dating other guys, but we're still living together , not entirely sure why tbh, she's not on the lease or anything, and I own the house. Anyway, we decided she can have the spare bedroom and pay me rent.

Anyway, during this time we still sleep together occasionally, we still chill together now and then , been making each other meals etc , the people I've spoke to say , so your basically a couple in denial then, or in a weird open relationship. Whenever I ask her though , she reminds me we're not together, like she told me she won't be home tomorrow she'll be out with a guy, but at the same time, she took me out for dinner tonight and said consider that my valentine's gift, and she said the other day it's almost been four years since we met... She also suggested taking a holiday together.

But I'm kinda confused, why do couple things if she's adamant were not a couple ?

Thoughts ?

Like the other day she suggested we chill in bed with a movie ?
PLEASE - NO RUN MESSAGES
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members may appear frustrated but they are here for constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

pursuingJoy
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Inlaw

« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2020, 10:06:45 AM »

Unsure101, this push-pull is confusing behavior. Many people here post about it. This thread might be really helpful for you to read through. You're not alone.

I'm new to BPD so I'm still learning too, but it seems this "I hate you don't leave me," hot/cold dynamic is tied to their fear of engulfment, shame, fear of abandonment, and more. It's part of what makes relationships with pwBPD difficult, but not impossible.

Is this something you're comfortable with long term? In the thread I posted above, Skip suggested that sometimes nonBPD's contribute to or perpetuate push-pull behavior. If this isn't something you want long term, we can brainstorm with you about your options. 

Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another: What! You too? ~CS Lewis
WorksNeverDone

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: Married

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2020, 11:19:00 AM »

It sounds like the arrangement that my BPDw has proposed to me (I didn't accept it).  She wants the freedom to be with others, but doesn't want to lose the "safety" of having me.  She wants me to do all of the things that I currently do for her as my wife (hold/hug/kiss her, comfort her, have long, deep conversations, pay the bills, maintain the house, etc.), but she wants the passion of new romances as well.  Personally, I'm not okay with her being in romantic relationships with other men. 
It sounds to me like your ex is living out that fantasy with you.  She has the comfort of a consistent "home base," and the option of having comfortable/cozy nights with a familiar person when she doesn't want the stress that comes from being with someone new.
My thought is that you need to decide whether this is how you want to spend your time.  I try to put it in the lens of "if I were lying on my death bed, looking back at my life, how do I want to see myself and how I chose to spend my time?"  For me, I want to be engaged in meaningful work that benefits me, my family, those I work with and those I'm working for.  For relationships, I want to invest in relationships that go for depth, rather than a broad swath of shallow ones.  That includes my romantic/marriage partner. 
Obviously, everyone is different and many people prefer to have a wide breadth of experiences.
If you decided you want your life to look different than it currently does, you will need to set boundaries that enable you to focus on moving your life in the direction that you want.  In my opinion, it's highly unlikely that your ex will force the directional shift because she's currently having her cake and eating it too.  Or, she will bring your current situation to a dramatic end when she meets someone else that she "doesn't want to lose" but isn't okay with her situation with you.  Ultimately, if you aren't comfortable with your current situation, you should make the decision about what you want and decide what steps you're going to take to move in that direction. 
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest