Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 24, 2024, 06:51:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Survey: How do you compare?
Adult Children Sensitivity
67% are highly sensitive
Romantic Break-ups
73% have five or more recycles
Physical Hitting
66% of members were hit
Depression Test
61% of members are moderate-severe
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: seeking advice  (Read 343 times)
puppy780
Fewer than 3 Posts

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent
Relationship status: living seperatley

« on: May 19, 2020, 12:20:41 PM »

Hi, I am new to this site. I have done lots of work to heal and move on from the treatment of my borderline family member, but I think that having some validation and getting advice from others who are familiar with the circumstances would be really helpful. I am a college student, and I am financially dependent upon my family. The borderline family member will often threaten my college education - claiming support will be taken away and that I would have to move back home. Throughout my time in college, I have achieved the deans list many times, held lots of my internships, and have healthy friendships. Its also important to note that although it has been threatened, other family members can see through the abuse and still continue to support my college education. It would be great to get some validation and advice, as I can feel lonely and hopeless at times. Thank you.
Panda39

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner’s ex
Relationship status: SO and I have been together 9 years and have just moved in together this summer.

« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2020, 03:39:28 PM »

Hi Puppy780,

Welcome to the BPD Family  Welcome new member (click to insert in post)

First of all congratulations on all of your college success, deans list isn't easy!  Doing the right thing (click to insert in post)

I'm sorry to hear your family member is making threats regarding your education financing, living in fear of that has to be miserable especially since school sounds like a very positive place for you.

I'm curious what your financial status is like?  Are you working?  With good grades, I'm sure you have financial aid options, might be something to look into.  What I'm getting at is how financially independent are you?  That might be a goal...make changes that make you less financially dependent...take the teeth out of the threat.

Fear of Abandonment is at the heart of BPD, so you stretching your wings and going off to college is likely a scary thing for your family member.  But you know and I know that growing up, moving out, and becoming independent are all completely normal and appropriate things to be doing.

I wanted to share information about FOG (Fear, Obligation, Guilt) or emotional blackmail, because that is what I'm hearing going on with the school threats.  FOG is used really by everyone at one time or another but it can really roll in thick and heavy when someone has BPD/BPD Traits.

More on FOG... https://bpdfamily.com/message_board/index.php?topic=82926.0

I'm really glad you've found us and decided to jump in, there is a great group of members here and everyone "gets it".  I have found, support, information, tools and just a place to vent when I need it and know you will too.

Take Care,
Panda39

"Have you ever looked fear in the face and just said, I just don't care" -Pink
once removed
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2020, 12:35:11 AM »

hi Puppy780, i want to join Panda39 and say Welcome

Excerpt
The borderline family member will often threaten my college education

what are the threats over/tied to?

and I think it's gonna be all right; yeah; the worst is over now; the mornin' sun is shinin' like a red rubber ball…
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest