Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
March 29, 2024, 01:41:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Family Court Strategies: When Your Partner Has BPD OR NPD Traits. Practicing lawyer, Senior Family Mediator, and former Licensed Clinical Social Worker with twelve years’ experience and an expert on navigating the Family Court process.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Parenting plan - looking for advice and key elements.  (Read 846 times)
SamwizeGamgee

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Separated

« on: June 03, 2020, 08:20:30 PM »

I am in mediation and negotiations with STBX.  Fortunately there is a lot we agree on already, well, I should say we agree on 50/50 custody, which I was was bracing to be the big battle.  That said, we are getting a lot of back and forth on a parenting plan. 

My hunch (gut) is to keep things about very important and common ideals for the kid care.  The more I think about our agreement proposals, and look forward two, five, and more years down the road, I see what could be a lot of opportunity for legal abuse.  Things like splitting school expenses, mutual agreement of activities, future partners contact with the kids, and other things that at first pass sound like just good happy parenting things to agree on.  But, in a darker light, these points could be the door to more abuse, and far-reaching control into my home.  for example, right of first refusal. When it's my week with the kids, and they have someone watch them while I work, I don't want my wife to chase me down waiving a parent plan saying she should have the kids.  Of course I expect mom and dad will both have lots of chances to cover child care.  And, I'd happily make that happen as I can.  But, to make a rule in a court document, just seems like fodder for legal action in the future when STBX is in a less happy mood, if you know what I'm saying. 

Anyway, as a lot of people here will probably understand, there's a parenting plan that might pass the test of time with nons, but, I think it requires another level of thinking to make a durable, workable, parent plan with someone with BPD traits.

I'm asking to collect ideas about what phrases should and should not be included based on the collective experience. My current philosophy is to think Venn diagram.  What's truly important to child development is in both circles overlapping.  What has to to do with privacy, my parenting style, and most of the everyday choices, I'll keep separate.  STBX has many times inserted things that would require mutual agreements, or outright decision making for her. That seems a little crazy. Especially when she has a pattern of undermining me, badmouthing, projecting, blaming and generally passive-aggressive, waif style BPD.  And, one adult daughter has been estranged from me based on mom's behavior.

I'm looking to crawl out of the marriage and regain some self-respect. 

What are the group suggestions for important things to put in, or leave out, or to truly pitch a fight over keeping in or out?

I know every person, and therefore every relationship is unique, but, there are probably some good guidelines, since disordered people often have a pretty narrow range of bad behaviors in divorce.

Thanks, and best wishes to all.   

Footnote: I'm really proud to be able to say I heard my gut in this.  I have a lot of years of not listening to myself, and people-pleasing, to overcome.  I stayed married for far too long listening to fear instead of gut.

Live like you mean it.
ForeverDad
Retired Staff

Relationship status: separated 2005 then divorced

You can't reason with the Voice of Unreason...

« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2020, 12:44:19 AM »

Equal time is a good start.  I wonder though, who would be primary parent for school residency purposes?  I suspect she will want to be primary?  The downside for you would be that if she decides to get a job elsewhere or decides to move away, then 50/50 probably couldn't work unless you move too to follow them.

This was my story...
My story... .   I had a 2 year divorce.  We tried mediation right after the temp order was issued but it failed as I expected.  It wasn't until the very end, minutes before the scheduled day-long trial was to begin, that my ex finally agreed to settle.  By then I was ready for trial.  So I felt secure to say, "I the father will be Residential Parent for school purposes or we go in and start the trial and let the judge decide it all."  If I had not set that as one of my boundaries I would never have become RP in Shared Parenting.  Within a couple months I was given one day to register son in my own district due to mother's scenes at school.  If I hadn't become RP then son's school would have been stuck with her.  (And she did move a couple more times, once was out of the county.)

Look for ways for him/her to 'feel' like he/she won something.  Negotiation is an art.  One way is to ask for more (or hold extra in reserve) then give back some of the excess to get concessions.  Another way is to make it appear you want lots of things then if you trade away some of it (that you don't really care about) then he will feel he won... .

Trust your gut.  If it feels wrong to give in on something, then don't. Or at least give yourself some time to ponder it away from the pressure of the moment.  Otherwise you may regret it in later years.  After all, it's okay for you to stand up for yourself and your children.  It's okay to say 'No' too.

worriedStepmom

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner’s ex

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2020, 08:21:48 AM »

You are wise to be planning into the future.  Things change.

Our parenting plan has a geographic restriction - the primary parent can't move outside of a certain distance unless the second parent moves first.

We don't have a ROFR.  I wanted one to begin with, but now that I've been divorced 10 years I'm glad we don't have one.  I don't want to have arguments about whether or not I should have called ex before I let the kid go spend the night at a friend's house or spend three days with my mom

I live in an area that is hurricane prone.  One thing people can add to the plan is what to do if there is a hurricane watch or warning - or evacuation - when the exchange should be taking place.  I guess the same could be true of blizzards.
kells76
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2020, 08:41:31 AM »

I think david included wording about "any changes to the PP may be made between the parents and must be made via email and confirmed via email by both parents; if not confirmed by both parents, the original PP stands". Something where you get the most locked-down to-your-advantage PP that you can, with some room to make adjustments if needed. But, the adjustments have strict rules around how they work and the "paper trail", so it can't be claimed "he agreed to it... over the phone".
GaGrl
Ambassador

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2020, 10:24:02 AM »

ROFR is often more trouble than the issue you were trying to address.

Get your summer schedule paid out so you know what to expect -- summer camps, vacations with mom, vacations with dad, etc. -- when plans are to be finalized, so no surprises.

Get holiday schedules laid out and alternated, again -- no surprises. Include birthdays and Mother's / Father's Day. If you don't share the same religion, take that into consideration -- we had Christian and Jewish holidays.

"...what's past is prologue; what to come,
In yours and my discharge."
kells76
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2020, 11:09:26 AM »

GaGrl makes a good point. Overspecify EVERYTHING, and have the "changes OK if both parents agree by email within X time period" clause too. Worst case scenario is you are "stuck" with a very specific PP that protects your time with the kids.

Don't include any words like "reasonable", "frequent", "often", "whenever", etc. Spell everything out down to the minute if you have to.

DH's first PP was one line: "DH can be with the kids whenever he's not at work". This was fine when Mom was dating DH's best friend -- DH would go home and take care of the kids, do baths, put them to bed, etc. Of course, when she realized she wanted "best friend" to be "replacement dad" -- everything changed. Protect yourself.
SamwizeGamgee

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2020, 01:44:18 PM »

As I work on this parenting plan, I realize how tricky this can be.  Too specific or too broad for interpretation, and it will come around and bite me.

Small example, I want to keep contact, especially after dealing with parental alienation.  I can define reasonable contact during the off-week as a phone call at a certain time each day, or, add nothing, and deal with mom not making the effort to connect the kids when I call - as has happened in the past.  It could play both ways for the kids too.  If they know I'll call at a certain time, they have that assurance.
Or, they have to be aware of the parenting plan stipulations, and either enforce them or not.

And then, I look at myself, and listen to myself, and wonder if I'm the controlling disordered abuser after all.  All these years have taken a toll.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2020, 01:53:43 PM by SamwizeGamgee » Logged

Live like you mean it.
GaGrl
Ambassador

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2020, 02:07:42 PM »

Phone calls are especially tricky -- too specific, and they begin to interfere with extra-curricular activity scheduling. Too loose, and you risk that the phone call doesn't happen.

worriedStepmom

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2020, 02:40:14 PM »

When my kids are with their (non-pd) dad, I don't usually call them unless they are there more than 7 days.  He doesn't usually call them when they are with me.  The children know they can call the other parent whenever they want, and they do sometimes.  In the early days, I missed them a lot, but now that we've been divorced for a decade, it's okay. 

H's uBPDex would like to talk to SD12 every single day.  We put a stop to that.  Then we tried twice/week at a specific time.  This got really hard to schedule around extracurriculars - not just for SD12, but for my 2 biokids. 

We decided it was best not to include phone calls in the parenting plan, primarily because we were concerned that uBPDex would abuse it.  Now on her bad weeks we can tell her "no phone calls, we're busy" and we can protect SD from her.

I would recommend that you put some language into the parenting plan about not disparaging the other parent to the parent, to the children, or to any professionals the children are involved with.  Your jurisdiction likely has standard language for that.
kells76
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2020, 03:05:38 PM »

Excerpt
I would recommend that you put some language into the parenting plan about not disparaging the other parent to the parent, to the children, or to any professionals the children are involved with.  Your jurisdiction likely has standard language for that.

With, perhaps, a specific "consequence" for disparagement: like, her meeting individually with a counselor, or something else. Come up with what you would want to have happen if she badmouths you to the kids... besides you saying "please stop" and her not stopping because there's no leverage.
kells76
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2020, 03:08:28 PM »

Excerpt
Phone calls are especially tricky -- too specific, and they begin to interfere with extra-curricular activity scheduling.

Fair point. Daily calls are probably not necessary. Maybe every 3rd day? Or whatever would work.

There's probably a way to say "father has option of phone call on odd #'d days, if child can't/won't call, then father has a make up call the next day." Could also have line of "call time will be 7:30pm unless another time is agreed to by both parents via text or email at least 4 hours in advance". Also "phone call includes skype/zoom by definition, but not text/email". Just a bunch of food for thought...
SamwizeGamgee

« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2020, 10:16:37 PM »

It seems arranging phone calls shouldn't be a difficult question, but, I guess it's a symptom of why I'm getting divorced anyway.  Adding a history of parental alienation, it's a hot-button.  Our Plan right now has the phrase that reasonable calls at reasonable times - but I agree with the above that any use of the word "reasonable" should be spelled out or eliminated. 

My inclination is that if I can get 7 days on, and 7 days off, I can call when I can call, and the kids will know they can call me whenever they want.  Maybe I leave that where it is, and not write anything about it.

The more I think about ROFR, the more uncomfortable I am with it.  Coincidentally, as though she knows, my STBX is becoming much more entrenched that it must be included - and to include days when I work - so her ROFR would trump whatever other day care I would have, or even if I have the kids on their own at home - which they can handle.  Basically, I think she is seeing this as her having days with the kids nearly every day.  Which if we were functional, wouldn't be so bad, but, it totally undercuts all my parenting, and my autonomy (dare I say my manhood too?). Not to mention I've noticed the kids seem to be more balanced when my wife and I are apart.

Live like you mean it.
Ulysses

« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2020, 10:41:07 PM »

My PP includes 2 phone calls per day.  ExH doesn't call the children.  I do usually 1x/day, although now not always (they were very young when we were divorced, exH is unpredictable).  Leaving it open (vs. 7:30-8:00 pm) enables you to call around the children's schedule.  In my case, the exH doesn't follow the PP, I've documented it and brought it to mediation.  He still violates it, I don't have the patience to take it to court right now.  One thing we added at mediation once was that if I don't get in touch by a certain time of the evening on the day I work a second job, then he would make sure D is available at a certain time (guess what?  He violates that, too.).

I would be careful with ROFR if your stbex is passive aggressive.  When I was going through my divorce, exH would tell me he would watch the children while I worked, then at the last minute he would cancel.  I had to scramble for child care - my kids were too young to leave home alone. I would have liked ROFR for me since I was a stay at home mother and my children were young, but overall I think it's been better not to have it.

Have you thought about child care expenses?  I have family who I could lean on and at mediation was advised that we each pay our own.  That has been good although even with that he violates it and uses my time that I pay for at our kids' after school care. 

I'm not happy with the Christmas break schedule. My attorney told me, yes, but, parents usually work together and accommodate each other on this.  Of course that's not how it's been but whatever.

I learned along the way - do NOT give up anything without making sure you get something in return.  This is not my nature and my attorney advised me to do this after I agreed to changes after the PP and then didn't get reciprocal time multiple times.  I.e. I offered to give him some of my time at Thanksgiving the first year because he was whining about how unfair the PP was (he had just agreed to it about 8 weeks prior...).  The following year when I asked, he would not do the same for me.  Things like this happened a few times before I wised-up.

Summer vacation - you might want to clarify the number of days of vacation?  We have "2 weeks" and last year he arranged it around weekends and ended up with almost 21 days. 

I agree you should document everything.
ForeverDad
Retired Staff

« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2020, 02:59:48 AM »

My son was in grade school by the time we got to the final decree.  The custody evaluator, a child psychologist, said young children under 10 years of age did better with more frequent exchanges.  He recommended a 2/2/5/5 schedule.  We settled on mother getting Mon-Tue overnights and father getting Wed-Thu overnights and we alternated the three overnight weekends.

By the time he was 10, I was already seeking legal custody and majority time so I never pushed for alternate weeks.  Besides, when I did ponder that issue which would have reduced the frequency of exchanges, my lawyer argued with me that I didn't want the court to get the impression I was okay with granting my ex longer stretches of time with our child.

Since I believe your children are older, the alternate weeks are okay.

I did have a ROFR but it had to be worded right and didn't apply for long.  What was the key for me was to put it in the order that her time was her time but my time was my time.  Otherwise, every day after school and before I got off work she would have swooped in for a few hours rather than let him socialize, play or do homework at my daycare.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2020, 03:05:52 AM by ForeverDad » Logged

mpacific

Relationship status: No relationship

« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2020, 08:47:35 AM »

As we just did a new one and the judge adopted ours we are seeing gaps that I wish we didn't miss. IE: on the pick up days of other parent it says after school. Well currently the XBPD is refusing to take her to school (filed contempt) and then on Mondays for some reason we just have on our weekends dropoff by 8 a.m. to school. When the XBPD interpreted that as she will pick up SD at our house at 8. No, she's going to school and we drop her off at 7:30. If there's ever a long weekend for school out Friday-Monday I wish we had it for after school time on Mondays so we could enjoy that with her and if all the other days are after school why didn't we do Monday.

Telephone time, this is a nemisis for us. XBPD would call SD all the time if she could. She cries and says she misses her and gets her completely worked up (SD is 5) that's not healthy for SD. So we just have a loose "Reasonable" and if she saw her two days ago it's not reasonable to call IMO.

vacations we have a no tacking on meaning the child can't go more than 10 days without seeing the other parent.  So it has to encompass her 4 day stretch.  I would recommend that especially from other poster that said they went 21 days. That would not be good for kiddo!

I'd get the passports done if you haven't and put that in your parenting plan, who holds them what years etc. It usually alternates between even and odd years for things in PP's.

On the holidays then have the timing conclude at 6 p.m. on the Sunday, I wish we would have included that parent just takes to school. We eliminated any home transitions and to just do at school, in SD's best interest and ours. 
whirlpoollife

« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2020, 09:21:04 AM »

ROFR back fired on me. My kids would tell their dad, my xh , if they were anywhere but with me, other way around they kept silent. So even if a family member or friend has your kids for a short amount of time that would not be allowed with ROFR. 
Vacation times in summer,  “two non consecutive weeks” But he strategically planned his out with his three four day weekends which then turned into consecutive weeks .
Phone calls, “ reasonable time allowed”, xh kept both kids on the phone hours at a time every day kids were with me.  Including calls in the car on way to school, dinner time,  all evening , 11 pm to start, vacation, etc.   I had to print out phone records to prove this to bring to court. So xh had his times restricted to 3 calls a day per child with time limits for each call. He used every time allowed, even after I picked the kids up from his house, an  hour later he was calling . I had to monitor each call as he ignored the time limit every time .
I hope this doesn’t happen for you or anyone but you know your stbx capabilities . Realize they don’t change for  the “ reasonable “

"Courage is when you know your're licked before you begin but you begin anyway and you see it through no matter what." ~ Harper Lee
GaGrl
Ambassador

« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2020, 12:33:38 PM »

Sounds like the vacation times need to be super-specific - - "two seven day/one week vacation periods per summer, non-consecutive to each other or to other parenting periods. " I don't know -- how specific can it get without thing your own planning into knots?

ForeverDad
Retired Staff

« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2020, 06:47:02 PM »

I can't believe how clueless courts are sometimes.  Our county allowed 3 weeks of vacation, limited to a max of two weeks at a time.  I usually started and ended my two week vacations on my alternate weekends.  I had valid concerns of last minute sabotage with a failed exchange.  Well, my ex complained to a magistrate in court and so then one order said my actual time on vacations were limited to "14 days" total time with dad.  How dare I use 16 days, I had to give up a weekend.

What frustrated me was that a magistrate didn't just tell my ex, "those alternate weekends are his and the vacation scope is two weeks, what's the beef about a day or two extra before or after a vacation?  After all, you can do the same if you wish." Frustrated/Unfortunate (click to insert in post)

Ulysses

« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2020, 06:50:28 PM »

Excerpt
What frustrated me was that a magistrate didn't just tell my ex, "those alternate weekends are his and the vacation scope is two weeks, what's the beef about a day or two extra before or after a vacation?  After all, you can do the same if you wish."

Yes!  That is what our mediator said once, and it is what my attorney told me.  And actually she provided guidance on how I could approach it in a reasonable way.

Our PP stated one week vacation until youngest reached the age of 10, then 2 weeks, not adjacent to other things like holidays.  Well when it was still one week he attached it to Father's Day.  It's difficult not to attach it to a weekend.  I tried to work with him when they changed to 2 week vacations, took my attorney's advice that it will happen sometimes that it attaches to our weekends, and can we limit it to about 17 days?  He refused.  I made sure that year I limited it to 15 days (I think -- it may have been 14 or 16, the actual vacation time out of town was 12 days, and I offered to change some times so he could see my D during her vacation time with me re: her birthday).  Then he turned around with the 21 days thing the next year and told me he never agreed to limiting it to 17 days.  So this year I'm not worrying about if what I choose to do upsets him.  I'm just doing what my kids seem to be up for (a road trip but with the virus that might have to be put on hold).
SamwizeGamgee

« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2020, 10:04:07 PM »

Bullet: comment directed to __ (click to insert in post) FD - If I may ask, without anything personal, what was the wording you liked in your ROFR?
It seems like one can have either ROFR, with the X watching your moves, _or_ have it be "my time is my time."

I am increasingly uncertain about ROFR. Which should tell me how far from a normal relationship I have.  It seemed like a no-brainer in simplicity, but, then I think about how it could be twisted, and see it as a point she won't let go of.  Plus, I imagine that a main way of enforcing it would end up using the kids as snitches, and that can't be good.

The vacation clause I am using is basically mom gets a first pick on even years, dad odd years.  Vacation can be up to 7 days added to a regular custody week, for not more than 14 consecutive days.  Two such vacation picks a year.  The parent that didn't pick first can then pick two 14 day vacations like the other parent.  To prevent a 14 day vacation from blooming into three weeks due to our 7/7 schedule, the non-picking parent gets the kids for same amount of time compensation after the first parent gets back from a vacation.  Then resuming the normal 7/7.  It makes sense even if I haven't explained it in all the detail.  I did want some limits.  

Figuring out phone calls and other contacts could be tricky too. (but shouldn't be in a normal parenting plan, ugh!)  I think I might end up leaving it out altogether.  The kids are old enough that we can contact each other in various means and times.  Or, using a phrase that a parent can call the child once a day.  My fear is that she will not let me through, or put the effort into making that time available, not so much that she will monopolize my time by trying to make too much contact.  She's fairly non-contacting with the kids when they are home together.  I'm trying to imagine what it will be like divorced.  She will be lonely without the kids, that might motivate her to attempt a lot more calls when I have the kids.  On days she's away, she does try to contact them, and I know what it's like to be away, so I make every effort to get them in touch.  Maybe I'll try either way, and work out a modification if it needs to be done.

Live like you mean it.
SamwizeGamgee

« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2020, 10:29:56 PM »

Another question.  I'm considering which parent should be the one getting the kids.  In my mind it would seem to be better for the on-coming parent to go get the kids.  But, I read in a parenting book a recommendation that the sending (off-going) parent should deliver the kids.  It's supposed to make the kids life flow better having the custodial parent deliver the kids.  But, I see that as a chance to "run late" or make excuses, and passive aggressively cut into the other parent (my) time.  Even to the point of "gee, if you only gave me a better car, I could get the kids to your house for sure..."  Or, get the kids so frazzled by hurrying them, (or not herding them promptly) the time drop off happens it will upset them for a long time after the exchange.  Whereas, if it's on me to pick up the kids, then I can be where and when I should be to get the kids.  "say bye to mom, and let's go."  I'm not a hardliner on punctuality, but, the kids time, and my time, is important, and quick smooth exchanges will reduce the stress.

Tips?

Live like you mean it.
SamwizeGamgee

« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2020, 10:49:02 PM »

"father has option of phone call on odd #'d days, if child can't/won't call, then father has a make up call the next day." Could also have line of "call time will be 7:30pm unless another time is agreed to by both parents via text or email at least 4 hours in advance". Also "phone call includes skype/zoom by definition, but not text/email". ….

I like this.  Dad even, mom odd days. reasonable time of day, and what a phone call means.  I'll borrow this whole idea - thanks!

Live like you mean it.
ForeverDad
Retired Staff

« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2020, 11:31:39 AM »

My situation was that I worked a regular 5 day schedule.  My ex used to work a regular schedule too but after child's birth she chose not to work.  She started MLM but of course she was low level on the money chain and earned little.  Meanwhile she had no fixed schedule.  As an entitled Mother she felt that any time I was away at work then she could swoop in and take over.

So my ROFR was 5 hours to block her from demanding my time before school or especially after school.  Not too short nor too long.  When I allowed an overnight with school buddies it was always at my house, I didn't try sending him sometimes to other kids' homes like normal scenarios.

Later on she did find work and so the ROFR was less helpful.  On a later order I simplified it to my time was mine and her time was hers.

As has been commented before, once once aspect is nailed down, another loophole will be devised.  She kept playing with exchanges.  One time was the day before Independence Day and I got out of work a few hours early since the market also closed early for the holiday.  I called to pick him up from summer camp (where she worked) and she said No, wait until the exchange time.  That didn't make sense since the camp was along my travel home.  So I went home and later went to the exchange site.  She never came.  After the 30 minute exchange window ended I called her.  She said to pick him up from the summer camp.  That would have meant I'd be heading back toward workplace, so I said No.  I ended up calling the police about the failed exchange.  The officer arrived, reviewed my order (always carry a copy with you) and called her to come.  Offhand, I don't recall, I may had to go fetch him anyway, but I got what I needed, a report documenting her playing games.

SamwizeGamgee

« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2020, 01:16:01 PM »

Thank you for explaining.  And I can sense that no matter what I do, or agree too, something adversarial will happen.  I guess it goes back to an early lesson for me, that being: once someone shows you who they are, believe them.  And for me (and you, it sounds like) if there's a way to abuse the situation, we must be prepared.

STBX and I have been exchanging drafts of plans, at this point, we stopped getting closer together, and started becoming either more different, or no change.

I'm still not sure how to try wording my PP.  I am thinking of leaving it out altogether, and see how she responds. I work a regular full M-F, all-day job.  She right now is flexible and/or home-based.  I can hardly imagine a circumstance in which she would ask me about child care in an ROFR situation.  But I sense she expects to be transporting kids, even on my weeks; watching them after school; and swooping in for summer days.  If she does that, it won't be a divorce!  

Further, STBX is being jealous in advance, as far as I can tell.  She's using the parent plan to regulate my future adult relationship status too. It easy to foresee a time when the X will want the kids a whole lot more if I have a partner in the future.

Maybe a phased plan that removes ROFR as the kids get older, when they can be unsupervised.  Actually, I think they can do so now.  Youngest of three left at home is 9.

Thanks again.  
This is so difficult with difficult people!

Live like you mean it.
livednlearned
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Family other
Relationship status: Married

« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2020, 03:40:40 PM »

The parenting plan is enforced by you unless going to court is how you want to deal with non-compliance.

If you had a parenting coordinator involved that's one thing. If you plan to go back to court that's another.

It might be worth thinking through under what conditions you would try to go back to court and enforce it.

If that's not how you are thinking about the parenting plan, then maybe make it more vague, or at least consider whether you're trying to have your cake and eat it too.

You know your ex best and how she'll treat the PP, and it sounds like you suspect she has presumptions about custodial time and caregiving on your time so that's a start. The downside is that what you want for yourself, she is likely to return in kind.

You may want to consider a graduated parallel parenting plan to establish things from the get go. It's apparently common even in lower conflict plans for the sole purpose of minimizing conflict.

Parallel parenting is tough but necessary for a lot of us.

Breathe.
GaGrl
Ambassador

« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2020, 10:23:38 PM »

I like this.  Dad even, mom odd days. reasonable time of day, and what a phone call means.  I'll borrow this whole idea - thanks!

Here's the problem with speakerphone times...sooner or later your child will have an extracurricular commitment that interferes with a scheduled call, and if the ex insists, the child is trying to make the call in the hallway while, for example, the orchestra teacher is trying to get the students warmed up.

Another phrase on precedence of extracurricular commitments?

livednlearned
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Family other
Relationship status: Married

« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2020, 10:16:33 AM »

You can also add language to a parenting plan, "Parties will do xyz as kids adjust to separate households. By day/date, parties will revisit and make adjustments as needed."

That might lessen some of the stress about getting it right immediately.

Breathe.
ForeverDad
Retired Staff

« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2020, 01:44:25 PM »

I recall back in 2009 when the magistrate said, "No time is left for this hearing but I'll fix ex's complaint now {she couldn't reach son during prior weekend, my cell had died but my house phone worked fine}.  Phone calls must occur every 8:00-8:30 pm."  Well, that short circuited many group activities, movies at theaters, games at parks, etc. We lived with that for 4 years until another magistrate decided that was too easy to use as a control weapon.

SamwizeGamgee

« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2020, 07:29:17 PM »

Update.  We had a virtually failed mediation session.  STBX couldn't overcome some trust issues, so we couldn't progress.  I think we might be back on for tomorrow.  But, as this separation and divorce unfolds, I think I am leaning more and more towards a plan that you would use for parallel parenting. 

My week my problems, her week her problems. 

I can see her interpreting and making a mess of ROFR, as well as the phone call issue.  I might prefer vague language for phone calls now, something like, each parent can make reasonable phone / video contact not more than once a day.  I will call the kids when I can, and at reasonable times.  There's a phrase I picked up that goes "the juice ain't worth the squeeze" meaning, that the stipulations and rules and interpretations involved won't gain more than you lose by fighting it. Not to mention the trouble I'm having figuring it out.

Live like you mean it.
GaGrl
Ambassador

« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2020, 11:34:54 PM »

You can also add language to a parenting plan, "Parties will do xyz as kids adjust to separate households. By day/date, parties will revisit and make adjustments as needed."

That might lessen some of the stress about getting it right immediately.

This also leaves you an opening g to revisit the current terms that aren 't working.

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest