Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 19, 2024, 10:43:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Family Court Strategies: When Your Partner Has BPD OR NPD Traits. Practicing lawyer, Senior Family Mediator, and former Licensed Clinical Social Worker with twelve years’ experience and an expert on navigating the Family Court process.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The message blew our children’s world into a million pieces  (Read 872 times)
empath

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« Reply #30 on: May 27, 2020, 09:35:35 PM »

Excerpt
D11 is in bad shape. She of all my kids has the most BPD traits as is the child most similar to my W. She is a very closed book.

Excerpt
Of my 3 children D11 is very emotionally sensitive, she always has been. She creates structures around herself to prevent bad things from happen... order, perfectionism, huge risk aversion, rules, few but VERY intense friendships, emotionally closed off, doesn't talk about feelings.

She sounds like she is more of an introvert than your younger children. What is she doing that tells you that she is in bad shape? My older kids are much more introverted than my youngest, and they take time to process their feelings. Their processing doesn't usually involve talking about the feelings, though.

With all the kids, it's important for them to be able to process in their own ways and to have a parent who listens to them and what is on their hearts.
Enabler

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Living apart

« Reply #31 on: May 28, 2020, 01:09:32 AM »

Fear not Notwendy, I know that I am not controlling that situation or likely many others.

Enabler

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Living apart

« Reply #32 on: May 28, 2020, 02:33:21 AM »

Hey Skip, thanks for challenging me on this:

Excerpt
Was this to help D11 or was this to help you?  What constructive or comforting information was she to get from this to deal with the crisis she was facing?

Excerpt
Does you 11 year old have this depth of self-awareness and understanding of human nature?  Or is this more your narrative for her.

Firstly I believe that both D11 AND D10 have the depth of awareness to know that what they were experiencing was fake / false / odd. There was an denied or not acknowledged situation that existed, and elephant in the room that they had to deal with. I know and knew that they already knew this. Both kids acknowledged after my comment that this was the case. I am sure (although I haven't spoken to them directly) that the children are not only grieving for the change in their future, but also the loss of a fantasy they had spent a long time building, deny what they could see was going on around them. I believed and still do that it was important to say out loud that, that period was not honest but that going forwards things would be different at least on my part.

The kids see, hear and understand a lot more than we give them credit for. Adults attempts to cover over the true picture is at best a smoke screen and at worst gas-lighting (might not be 100% appropriate use of the word). There was some mutuality in that dance for sure, they were protecting themselves from reality as much as I was attempting to protect them and fight for a failing relationship... but there was a casualty, and the casualty was the truth. They will need to formulate their own reality about the past 4+ years, that was going to happen regardless of my statement, but I have given them permission to accept their own 'experience' rather than the twisted version myself and my W have attempted to tell them existed. Me acknowledging that I believe was helpful to them.

I have and always will accept my W's autonomy within the bounds of her ability to be autonomous whilst experiencing all externalities of her choices and behaviours. I will also respect my own rite and our Children's rite to autonomy.

AskingWhy

« Reply #33 on: June 03, 2020, 03:13:00 PM »

Read Bill Eddy's, "Splitting," on divorcing NPDs and BPDs.  It is written for American readers, but many tactics used by pwBPD are discussed.  

Keep your wits about you and try to anticipate lying to a court or judge.

My H's children are all adults and will side with their F in the event of divorce. They are all in the NPD and BPD spectrum and have boundary issues.  One D went to their home town and buddied up with her X stepfather, the one who cheated on her mother.  Unreal.  It's all about money, though, and the divorce settlement will take away from their father's estate, and they resent me for it.

No problem, though.  The hand of kar ma will take care of this.  Already they are dealing with the fate they have made from their mean spirits and cruelty to other people. 

Cat Familiar
Senior Ambassador

« Reply #34 on: June 10, 2020, 08:49:38 AM »

Staff only This thread has reached its maximum length and is now locked. The conversation continues here: https://bpdfamily.com/message_board/index.php?topic=344940.0

“The Four Agreements  1. Be impeccable with your word.  2. Don’t take anything personally.  3. Don’t make assumptions.  4. Always do your best. ”     ― Miguel Ruiz, The Four Agreements: A Practical Guide to Personal Freedom
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest