Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 16, 2024, 04:51:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Depression = 72% of members
Take the test, read about the implications, and check out the remedies.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Current events triggering  (Read 408 times)
DontGiveUpOnMe

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent

« on: August 01, 2020, 08:31:39 AM »

I don’t lean either way politically and this is not a political post. I really hope someone can see the content only.

Current events feel like a mass toxic campaign to me. Fueled by shame , catapulted by fear and revived by violence. If you say anything that simply asks whether certain shaming behavior should be ok and instead should we be more patient with each other. Then I’m put into a category.

It feels like I escaped my old prison for one I cannot escape.
Harri
Retired Staff

« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2020, 11:58:27 AM »

Hi!

I think a lot of people are struggling with the current social and political climate all within the framework of a world wide pandemic.  It is easy to jump to conclusions based on one statement and all too common for sure.  Unfortunately it also seems to be a part of human nature when emotions and stress are high.  People are trying, no matter how wrongly (or rightly) to make sense of the world and will often gravitate towards the quick, easy to understand reason, creating cubby-holes for others.  It provides a framework that makes sense and seems rational to the person doing it.  I think, to an extent, we all do it.

Well, that is my understanding of things anyway.    

It sounds like when people do this, it feels very personal to you.  I am wondering if taking a second (third, fourth...) look and seeing this tendency/behavior as a result of the other person's upset, coping skill, self-soothing skill as being about them rather than about you will help you feel less oppressed and less trapped?

I am not saying that trying to label anyone in a shaming way is good.  It is not.  I am simply wondering if a shift in perspective will help you stop being triggered?

"What is to give light must endure burning." ~Viktor Frankl
DontGiveUpOnMe

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2020, 10:30:40 AM »

I apologize for my delay in replying. I can try to take it less personally - however, it is the philosophical inconsistencies that bother me. Perhaps I am projecting my past as my parents would have one set of rules one day, then another set of rules another day. It was meant to create an atmosphere of sudden incrimination. I learned how to cope by dissociating, and staying ahead of a the game - requiring a survival mindset.

I have a lot of experience with these type of psychological inconsistencies, living with constant cognitive dissonance. Its become a question of whether I acknowledge inconsistencies or pretend they aren't happening to mentally thrive beyond survival. Both painful, and possibly unhealthy in my opinion, but I am no professional. I suppose it reflects the unhealthy nature of reactive behavior.

I suppose this is how it is now.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest