Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
March 28, 2024, 02:07:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
VIDEO: "What is parental alienation?" Parental alienation is when a parent allows a child to participate or hear them degrade the other parent. This is not uncommon in divorces and the children often adjust. In severe cases, however, it can be devastating to the child. This video provides a helpful overview.
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Haven’t seen or spoken with S5 in nearly a month Part 2  (Read 1174 times)
JNChell
a.k.a. "WTL"

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Dissolved

« on: August 29, 2020, 11:30:33 AM »

This thread was split from this discussion:https://bpdfamily.com/message_board/index.php?topic=345907.30

Crispy Waffle, I’m sorry that I couldn’t respond last night. I was emotionally done for the day. I’d like to start by saying that you have a lot to add here. This is how we operate within this community. Your input is important. Experts are part of this community. All of our interactions dictate bigger things.

Everything you said is true. I have a very hard time keeping myself in bounds with her. I try to justify it because I’m fighting for my Son. Also, I have so much resentment towards her that I obviously haven’t been able to let go of up to this point. She’s taken so much and can’t see it. I’m still dealing with my childhood and she hi jacked it. The one thing that I really needed to keep and work out, she took. I’m not trying to play victim here. It is what it is.

Your friend gave you great advice. Coming out of isolation myself, I’m finding great rewards. My true circle of friends are here for me. It’s so hard to ask for help, but I’m learning how to do that. It just feels so foreign.

It is very hard to control what I say. I know the logic between what is right and wrong for our boy. I miss him so much. She has to control the situation. Even to the point of he and I not seeing each other. I don’t understand it all. I would never do that to him. He loves his mom. That’s a big thing to take away from a child.

My behavior has been bad, and I’m glad to read your message. She won’t be able to demonstrate her behavior.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2020, 07:40:07 AM by I Am Redeemed, Reason: added link to OP from which this thread was split » Logged

“Adversity can destroy you, or become your best seller.”
-a new friend
Crispy Waffle

Relationship status: Divorced!

« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2020, 05:02:30 PM »

Hey, that's what we tell members who worry if they really are the ones with BPD...
Borderlines don't generally reflect on their own behavior and wonder if they're the problem Being cool (click to insert in post)

Exactamundo!

JNChell, I don't know what baggage you may have (we all have it). But it's worth getting a good therapist to work through all of this, and more importantly take the time to understand what you do bring to all of this. One thing I did was to reach out to people that I'd had various fallings out with, some big, some small, and apologize. It was cathartic and healing. One person responded that lightening one's baggage makes the journey ahead easier. Indeed.

I told my therapist last week that I felt like I was wasting my time going down the rabbit hole on all this BPD stuff, rather than working on me. But she pointed out that I am working on myself by both understanding BPD/my wife, and thus being able to tease out what was me and what was her in all of this. I'm not blameless, but I now have a clearer picture of what I do own (need to own) in all of this. I even questioned myself if I was the one with BPD (of course my wife said I was). But it doesn't fit. And again, the fact that we sit here trying to figure this out, being introspective and contemplating if we are BPD/NPD largely rules that out, even if we may have some traits of either PD.

Keep working at it, and specifically keep working on yourself to a) not beat yourself up, b) allow yourself to see and own your issues, and c) actively commit to changing those things that are a roadblocks to your progress. I've found it's a lot more difficult to deny them, than to simply accept them and empower yourself to be a better person. Speaking for myself, shame can be toxic. I had it from my own childhood, and my wife exploited that. Despite this being an incredibly hard and emotionally damaging situation, I actually feel better about myself in so many ways as a result of all of this.
JNChell
a.k.a. "WTL"

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2020, 05:11:09 PM »

Thank you, Crispy Waffle.

-a new friend
Crispy Waffle

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2020, 08:09:11 PM »

Crispy Waffle, I’m sorry that I couldn’t respond last night. I was emotionally done for the day. I’d like to start by saying that you have a lot to add here. This is how we operate within this community. Your input is important. Experts are part of this community. All of our interactions dictate bigger things.

Everything you said is true. I have a very hard time keeping myself in bounds with her. I try to justify it because I’m fighting for my Son. Also, I have so much resentment towards her that I obviously haven’t been able to let go of up to this point. She’s taken so much and can’t see it. I’m still dealing with my childhood and she hi jacked it. The one thing that I really needed to keep and work out, she took. I’m not trying to play victim here. It is what it is.

Your friend gave you great advice. Coming out of isolation myself, I’m finding great rewards. My true circle of friends are here for me. It’s so hard to ask for help, but I’m learning how to do that. It just feels so foreign.

It is very hard to control what I say. I know the logic between what is right and wrong for our boy. I miss him so much. She has to control the situation. Even to the point of he and I not seeing each other. I don’t understand it all. I would never do that to him. He loves his mom. That’s a big thing to take away from a child.

My behavior has been bad, and I’m glad to read your message. She won’t be able to demonstrate her behavior.

JNChell, I really feel for you, perhaps because I can totally relate to everything you said. As I noted in my later response, my wife exploited my weakness resulting from my own messy childhood. And in a perverse irony, her co-dependent traits and the fact that she is a counselor herself led her to try to "rescue" me, but I wasn't the compliant little puppet she needed. I couldn't/wouldn't "change into the illusion of who she wanted me to be" (her words). My response was "I didn't need help, I needed a partner".

One other piece of advice from my friend was to find a way to use this to help others. I came here looking for help, but if any of what I have learned/am learning is of value to others, then I couldn't find something more purposeful in life. I am no expert, by a long stretch...but I have learned a metric $hit-ton about myself, my family, and "stuff" over the last few months. It is really hard to change what has been hardwired into you over decades (I'm 51). But I'm finding it isn't impossible. Start with small things that are easy wins and build momentum. Write things down, make lists, journal your thoughts (on paper in the old fashioned analog fashion).

One positive in your situation is that your son is young enough that you still have some time to strengthen your relationship with him. Granted, it will be tough with her meddling, but if need be make sure you get some court-ordered shared custody, and if she violates that, then petition for primary custody (if not doing that now). I'm trying to be the best dad I can be to my two girls. Being honest and genuine with them, owning my failings of the past, and showing them (through words and actions) that I am focused on bettering myself pays dividends. Suddenly I am free to make mistakes, apologize when I F-up, talk candidly with them, etc., and do so without trying to go after their mom. When I slip up and say something critical about her, I apologize to them for that. And yes, I sometimes fall into the trap of letting her control my emotions. But I work on that daily. Every morning I start with 5 minutes of mindfullness. I've never been able to do that mindfullness thing until my friend walked me through the process and explained the difference between that and meditation. Suddenly it clicked, and it has been central to me being better able (not always able) to filter my words and actions.

It's a journey, and you have taken the first steps. Keep walking friend.
JNChell
a.k.a. "WTL"

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2020, 02:39:55 PM »

You’re right and it sounds like you have good people around you. I appreciate your thoughts and wisdom. A great member here told me once that it took a long to become “wired” and that it can’t be reworked overnight. She’s right, but man it is taking time. Not seeing my boy has really amplified things. I guess that should be an opportunity to learn and grow. I’m still waiting on the initial paperwork from my attorney. I’m really scared of family court.

-a new friend
Crispy Waffle

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2020, 11:29:13 PM »

JNChell, just checking in to keep the support dialogue going. I can't imagine the trepidation you feel about court. I'm anxious about the outcome, and I don't have the issue of a young child. In fact, my kids seem to both be getting more annoyed with their mother's BS. But the uncertainty is just really stressful. But the best way to deal with that is to develop a game plan.

Since misery loves company, I'll share that I lost my sh!t last night when my ex triggered me. She really seems to revel in stirring things up and knows how to push my buttons. I have two tasks for myself; continue working on mindfullness so that I can stop, take a breath, and think about how best to react, and secondly, draw up a game plan for how to lay out the facts and demonstrate how malignant she is if/when we have to go to court.

It's a process. A slow, arduous process.
Dark Moon

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: Married

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2020, 01:40:28 AM »

How nice that BPD made the discussion! I'm new here, reading up all I can on the joys and tribulations of having a BPD spouse (but I was married to a NPD before, my dad, an ex-BF, and my oldest daughter all have tendencies...apparently, I'm a magnet! Working on changing that...). I've learned alot and noted similarities in your story. I've been spending too much time worrying about what I could have done, what I did do (wrong), trying to be logical with a disordered person. It's exhausting!

Anyway, my situation is reversed in that I have a 4 year old son with my BPD husband and he (husband) just disappeared from the household 10 days ago (zero communication since). He's been having breakdowns every few months for the past couple years, so I was prepared (sort of) for this cycle, but what's eating at me now is how does someone abandon their child like that? I have 5 older children from previous, amicably dissolved marriage. My ex-husband is not really around and my children haven't suffered that I can tell yet. But not having a NPD around is probably not a bad thing in the long run anyway. My husband has only been dysregulated about 10% of the time so far, and rather meagerly compared to some wild stories I've read, so the kids are on the fence about whether they want him to be gone forever.

I'm worried about going to court, even though the law is on my side and I have tons of evidence regarding his condition. I'm more like his caretaker than his partner...he needs ALOT of support to survive (financially, emotionally, physically). I hate to admit, but when he's gone, it's a nice vacation for the rest of us (as he was usually spiraling down for a short period before the breakdown). At this point, I'm not interested in dissolving the relationship. But in my state, divorce is no contest so if he somehow filed, it would be over ASAP.

I feel bad for my son. They had a close relationship. I don't want my son to grow up not knowing his dad. I worry for my husband's safety. It's maddening...But I can only do what I can control. So life goes on, whether I wanted it to or not. I'm hoping for the best. I can live with mediocre probably. When my husband is home, he's fairly regular because I'm somewhat vigilant about his symptoms. But if he remains out of the household (immersed in what I call his den of cronies - vile individuals who don't believe he has any problems and live to destroy me based on some unknown vendetta), I can't be certain of his mental health or the safety of his environment. So my son could not see him...and that sucks.

I hope you've been working things out in a mutually beneficial way. It sounds like you're doing a lot of reflecting (me too finally) and I think that's a step in the right direction. I'm with everyone else, you do need to protect your rights, keep fighting for your son. Worse case scenario is you have to wait til he's 18 (time flies!), but even then, don't give up. A delayed relationship is better than no relationship at all. And he may need your help...my son is already displaying typical BPD symptoms so he needs me to learn how to handle it and how best to help him. Maybe I couldn't save his dad, but hopefully, our son will have a better outcome.
JNChell
a.k.a. "WTL"

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2020, 01:49:00 AM »

Thank you for checking in. That’s why I love this place. There is always support. I’m sorry that you got upset by your ex. From what I’ve been learning, it might not be a good idea to try to showcase how malignant your ex is in court. I’m going to take a complete reversal of that and take responsibility for my bad behavior. I’ll pinpoint things if the opportunity arises, but it’s about my Son. I’m not going to throw darts at my ex. I’m going to show the court that I am very self aware and that I’m concerned about my Son’s well being. I’m going to own my stuff and be honest. That’s something my Son’s mom can’t do.

-a new friend
JNChell
a.k.a. "WTL"

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2020, 02:01:33 AM »

Object constancy. Out of site, out of mind. He might have trouble with adult thinking. I know that it’s baffling to wonder how he can’t be thinking about his Son. That’s all I’ve doing. I’m spending the weekend with a friend because I need support.

Unless the dad is dangerous, I’d encourage you to keep him in your Son’s life. Children want both parents. It’s important for their development. As they grow and develop, they’ll make their own decisions.

-a new friend
Crispy Waffle

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2020, 09:54:22 AM »

Thank you for checking in. That’s why I love this place. There is always support. I’m sorry that you got upset by your ex. From what I’ve been learning, it might not be a good idea to try to showcase how malignant your ex is in court. I’m going to take a complete reversal of that and take responsibility for my bad behavior. I’ll pinpoint things if the opportunity arises, but it’s about my Son. I’m not going to throw darts at my ex. I’m going to show the court that I am very self aware and that I’m concerned about my Son’s well being. I’m going to own my stuff and be honest. That’s something my Son’s mom can’t do.

All very good points. I do need to find balance in that, and will consult with a lawyer at the appropriate time. Honestly that is related to this whole issue of being triggered and how we respond. There's a fine line between holding them accountable and going on the attack.

My intent is to own my issues (I told her that explicitly; that I would not sugar-coat anything about myself before the court), demonstrate how I'm doing my work, and anything related to her would simply be in hand should there be a need to demonstrate anything that may be damaging to our kids (and also any financial obligations since she has been very manipulative in that regard).

I don't know if you have seen this page on BPD Family (link below), but there is a long list of topics that might be worth investigating relative to the issue of healing ourselves and not getting caught in the traps the BPD's in our lives set for us, moving forward, etc. More trips down the rabbit hole, but at least I'm moving through the various stages of this and not remaining stuck. The easy things are out of the way. The work ahead gets harder. Put on my big boy pants and lace up my boots for the slog ahead.

https://bpdfamily.com/message_board/index.php?topic=136462.0
ForeverDad
Retired Staff

Relationship status: separated 2005 then divorced

You can't reason with the Voice of Unreason...

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2020, 01:53:30 PM »

...apparently, I'm a magnet! Working on changing that...

Look at it from others' perspective.  Likely you're an enabler.  You let them get away with too much misbehavior.  Review our articles describing practical Boundaries on our Tools & Skills board.

We all know bepole with BPD (pwBPD) or other acting out disorders resist or reject boundaries.  So if they don't cooperate then it is up to set perceptive boundaries for ourselves.  How so?  My own version is something like this:  "If you do or don't do ___ then I will do or not do ___."  You see, it's our response that is the key.

My husband has only been dysregulated about 10% of the time so far, and rather meagerly compared to some wild stories I've read, so the kids are on the fence about whether they want him to be gone forever.

I'm more like his caretaker than his partner...he needs ALOT of support to survive (financially, emotionally, physically). I hate to admit, but when he's gone, it's a nice vacation for the rest of us... At this point, I'm not interested in dissolving the relationship.

Divorce ends the adult relationship.  The parenting remains though of course it wouldn't be the same as before.  If "the kids are on the fence about whether they want him to be gone forever" then that can be addressed in a parenting schedule.  Divorce ends the adult relationship, only one aspect of the process is the parenting outcome.

Object constancy. Out of sight, out of mind...

Unless the dad is dangerous, I’d encourage you to keep him in your Son’s life. Children want both parents. It’s important for their development. As they grow and develop, they’ll make their own decisions.

What you should do depends on how much the family is impacted by the behaviors.  Let's do an exercise in objective thinking... Ponder this future scenario:  Five years from now will you look back and kick yourself saying "Why didn't I call it quits years ago and avoid all this suffering?"

Side point, I come from a very religious family, divorce is not taken lightly.  Clearly, infidelity is a basis for divorce, so are abuse or willful nonsupport.  Your perspective may be different than mine.  I had opposition and parenting sabotage so despite my religious background it was divorce or else not be a parent.

JNChell
a.k.a. "WTL"

« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2020, 02:51:27 PM »

FD, I understand. I haven’t really been allowed to be a parent since he was born. She has controlled everything. Even when were together, but I wasn’t able to really see it then. It’s pretty crystal now. The gradual escalation that I totally missed. You know, her mom took her from her dad when she was 8. She didn’t see him again until she was 18. She’s doing it all over again and it will harm our boy if it goes on like it did for her. I’m scared to death that she is using him right now. I send him care packages every week with a written message. I don’t know if they’re being read to him. I just got an attorney so I guess I’ll see where this goes. I know about how your ex kept your Son from you for three months and the struggle you had in front of the courts. They want to talk about the best interests of the child, but they miss the mark more than they hit it. I think that Childress has it right when it comes to these situations. Mental health professionals should be a standard entity for custody cases at no up charge to plaintiff or defendant. I think that Childress is trying to clean up after Gardner.

-a new friend
Crispy Waffle

« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2020, 12:51:04 AM »

We all know bepole with BPD (pwBPD) or other acting out disorders resist or reject boundaries.  So if they don't cooperate then it is up to set perceptive boundaries for ourselves.  How so?  My own version is something like this:  "If you do or don't do ___ then I will do or not do ___."  You see, it's our response that is the key.

I'd love to hear examples from folks here about the "if/then" boundaries they have set. I've been considering that, but wasn't sure if it was productive, manipulative, etc. I need to make sure it isn't something related to the kids so as to not pull them into this. And I also wonder about any potential legal backlash. (e.g. I'll pay you when..., I'll give you access to the joint property in my home when...).

I'm so tired of being manipulated, both in our marriage and now in the separation. But I also know I can be emotionally dysregulated and I need to make sure I don't escalate things and create worse problems for myself.
worriedStepmom

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner’s ex

« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2020, 03:21:08 PM »

I'd love to hear examples from folks here about the "if/then" boundaries they have set. I've been considering that, but wasn't sure if it was productive, manipulative, etc. I need to make sure it isn't something related to the kids so as to not pull them into this. And I also wonder about any potential legal backlash. (e.g. I'll pay you when..., I'll give you access to the joint property in my home when...).

I'm so tired of being manipulated, both in our marriage and now in the separation. But I also know I can be emotionally dysregulated and I need to make sure I don't escalate things and create worse problems for myself.

It's important to set concrete rules and consequences that you are able to follow.  If you slip EVEN ONCE, then they'll push your boundaries even more.

Examples:
When coparenting with my non-disordered ex.  "Kid1 wants to play sport.  Games will be on your weekends too. Are you okay with that? If I don't hear from you by Friday, I'll assume it's okay and sign her up." 

With H's uBPDex:  "I will not answer the phone while I am at work.  If you continue to call me while I am at work, I will block you." and "I will not respond to texts with profanity or tirades.  If you continue to send these, I will block you and only communicate via the parenting app."  (We now only communicate via the app and she's blocked on both our phones.)

"We have been really flexible with the schedule, and it's getting hard for me to keep track. I won't change dates for the next 6 months unless there is an emergency (suspected COVID, hurricane)."

In a divorce setting, it can be along the lines of:
"I'll provide my discovery to my lawyer.  When you provide yours to your lawyer, the lawyers can exchange them."
"When we have an agreement on property division, then the next day I will provide access to the items earmarked for you."
JNChell
a.k.a. "WTL"

« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2020, 01:26:27 PM »

worried, everything has been very loose with S5’s mom the entire time. Things haven’t been consistent enough to establish a status quo. I hadn’t been involved in his life other than visiting. Boundaries. I’m now seeing that I need the courts to set these. We can’t do it. I just got a confirmation email that the initial paperwork and payment has been received by my attorney. I’m just afraid that it’s the beginning of a very long and unnecessary battle. My attorney is an old high school friend. It’s 50/50. She’ll milk me, or she won’t. It’s been years.

Regardless, I’m becoming agitated and sad by not seeing my boy. He’s only 5. That tells me a lot. Who does that? At the same time, I got with her and had him. It’s frustrating and scary.

-a new friend
ForeverDad
Retired Staff

« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2020, 09:38:14 PM »

I’m just afraid that it’s the beginning of a very long and unnecessary battle.

Unnecessary?  No, it really is necessary.  Or else this would have been resolved 5 years ago.

Very long?  Quite probably before all is said and done.  Actually, getting regular and substantial visits with your son should happen fairly soon, maybe just a few weeks or a bit longer with society virtually shut down these days.  Court will likely set a temporary order as interim solution and over the course of a few months a more permanent order can be negotiated or decided by the court.

Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if she rushes and pleas with you to unfile your motions for a court ordered visitation schedule.  She may get shocked that you "grew a couple".  She may promise that henceforth she will allow visits.  However, don't fall for that, or else all too soon you'll be right back again to where you are now.  You need the backing and authority of family court to set the rules, not her.

Let the legal system work for you.  Your lawyer works for you.  Over time you will gain more and more confidence that this is the path to secure parenting.  We're here cheering you on, we've got your back!

Crispy Waffle

« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2020, 09:43:16 PM »

JNChell and others, if you are trying to figure out what your role is and haven't seen this topic on the Drama/Victim Triangle here on BPD, it might be worth the read. https://bpdfamily.com/message_board/index.php?topic=108384.0

It was very powerful for me and has helped me start to understand who I am and how I operate. It helped me understand my role in the marriage, and hopefully I can learn from this to have better relationships in the future.

It was also very emotional. If you are serious about figuring out your role and working on yourself, it means coming to terms with things that can trigger some pretty strong emotions. I found myself seeing all of my wife's issues, then finally started identifying my attributes, and suddenly was overwhelmed by the emotion of realizing my role and how I play into all of this. It didn't absolve my wife of her role, nor undo the significance of the damage resulting from her uBPD traits. But damn, taking a cold, hard look at yourself is tough. But it is one more step forward, so I'm not going to beat myself up over who I am (thanks to family of origin stuff). And hopefully it will help me build my toolkit on behaving in a more productive manner and not defaulting to a triggered state. I'm not going to be a hostage to shame; that has been damaging enough over the many years.

Ooof! This stuff is hard.

Worried Stepmom; thanks for the examples. Those are both relevant to boundaries I need to figure out how to set constructively (without resulting to the persecutor role on the triangle).

JNChell
a.k.a. "WTL"

« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2020, 09:46:49 PM »

FD, no way in hell im backing out of this. Even if she says “when do you want him?” before we proceed, I’ll work that out with her, but a damn court order is getting put in place no matter what. You guys have been telling me this for a long time. If I can’t see my Son, I’ll do whatever I have to do. Step 1 I guess.

-a new friend
JNChell
a.k.a. "WTL"

« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2020, 10:02:29 PM »

CW, thank you for sharing. I’m very familiar with the triangle. Most notably because it was brought to light here. Understanding triangulation is a big thing. I agree with you, if you start to see it and feel it, it’s time to politely say goodbye. It’s weird. If I had known about this long ago, S5 wouldn’t be here. In a very close sense, I’m glad that I didn’t know because he is here. I can’t imagine life without him.

Realizing your role is the biggest step that you will take in your healing journey. You’re going to be just fine. It just takes time after figuring a few things out.

Building the tool kit is also very important. So is self care, which I’m terrible at. A lot of stuff starts to come out the more we become aware and it can get really hard to sift through. How are your feelings now that you’ve opened that can of worms?

-a new friend
JNChell
a.k.a. "WTL"

« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2020, 10:15:08 PM »

I also gotta say that I  watched “Mighty Mouse” as a kid. Love the avatar and didn’t remember it until I saw it here. Pretty cool.

-a new friend
Crispy Waffle

« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2020, 06:37:47 AM »

CW, thank you for sharing. I’m very familiar with the triangle. Most notably because it was brought to light here. Understanding triangulation is a big thing. I agree with you, if you start to see it and feel it, it’s time to politely say goodbye. It’s weird. If I had known about this long ago, S5 wouldn’t be here. In a very close sense, I’m glad that I didn’t know because he is here. I can’t imagine life without him.

Realizing your role is the biggest step that you will take in your healing journey. You’re going to be just fine. It just takes time after figuring a few things out.

Building the tool kit is also very important. So is self care, which I’m terrible at. A lot of stuff starts to come out the more we become aware and it can get really hard to sift through. How are your feelings now that you’ve opened that can of worms?

Thanks JNChell, those are reassuring words. I keep telling myself this will all work out in the end. It's good to hear it from others, especially those who understand just what I'm dealing with. I had to pause while replying because I got a bit emotional. I didn't hear those words much as a kid when I needed to. I just put your words on a sticky note on my monitor. "I am going to be just fine". Live by your own words; they are powerful.

And yeah, self-care is a big weakness of mine too. It's a big contributor to why I'm here. And you also hit the nail on the head regarding our kids, and the irony that we wouldn't have them had we not gotten into bed (literally) with our spouse/partner. In some ways it pains me that her DNA is in my children, but I will never let that stain who they are. They are not her.

As for how I'm feeling; pretty good actually. It was a needed reality check and has helped redirect my attention back to me, and less on her. Every time D14 is with me my wife inevitably stirs up some drama, which then spools me up and has me focusing on her. This latest self-discovery has allowed me to better understand how I get pulled into her web. My therapist told me months ago to be careful how I deal with her, that she knows how to push my buttons.

Honestly, there wasn't anything very surprising to my realization of my role (starting gate persecutor). But I now have a better understanding of what it is and how it operates (especially within the relationship), and I can actually define it. The triangle structure makes it very tangible and logical for my ADHD brain. The hardest part was reading the passage about a breakthrough to prompt self-accountability to get off the victim grid potentially needing to come in the form of a crisis. That hit home. It triggered those feelings of guilt, shame, failure, inadequacy. You know, the stuff that makes you feel all warm and fuzzy inside.  Being cool (click to insert in post) Thank god for my sarcastic, irreverent sense of humor. It's the only thing that gets me through sometimes.

Wishing you Peace on your path to reclaiming your relationship with your boy.
worriedStepmom

« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2020, 10:34:49 AM »

JNChell, I'm so glad you paid the retainer and are taking action to get a court order!  In the long run, that should pay off.  Keep your expectations in check - it may be a long road.  We have an annual budget for legal fees, categorized as "SD13 tax".  It's the price we pay to protect her.

My tip for self-care - during my divorce I made a list of everything that made me smile at all.  It included things from "light a candle" to  "read a book" to "VACATION".  I made myself do one thing off the list every day.  Some days were really hard, and lighting a candle was all I could do.  Some days I did more adventurous stuff (hiking!).  Making that habit of focusing on myself for a few moments a day was very good for my mental health.  You may want to try something similar.
ForeverDad
Retired Staff

« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2020, 05:01:24 PM »

Make sure whatever order you walk out with that it includes typical split of holidays and 2-3 weeks of vacation annually.  Holidays are usually alternated during even years and then during the odds years you get the ones you didn't get the prior year.  (The kid's birthday is included but usually not the parents' birthdays.)  Court may limit how long a vacation can be, often either one or two weeks, but you should get at least 2-3 weeks total each year.

Remember, vacations are not by her permission or approval.  You send the vacation notice well in advance during the county's prescribed notification period and as long as it doesn't include one of ex's holidays or her already declared vacations then she has to allow it.  Here's the order of priority:
(1)  holidays (review county's list and strike out what you two don't observe)
(2)  vacations (first come, first served)
(3)  regular parenting schedule

If despite all your efforts you end up with minimal "typical dad schedule" (alternate weekends and brief time in between), don't be too discouraged.  Work smartly with what you get.  Seek the longest weekends possible, I had 72 hour weekends from Fri pm to Mon pm.  Seek multiple mid-week evenings or overnights.  Seek additional parenting time during the summer in addition to vacation time.

Also, school will be an issue... who will be responsible for school?  Sounds like he is kindergarten age.  Don't get excluded from school.  And if you end up paying some or ll school bills, make sure you are only liable for typical public school expenses.  Why?  One dad here agreed to pay all school expenses and then the mother surprised him and enrolled the kid in a private school with predictably high tuition fees.  The court told dad, "You agreed to pay for school expenses so pay them!"

JNChell
a.k.a. "WTL"

« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2020, 06:05:49 PM »

I am taking your advice to heart. My attorney (an old friend) says that she is seasoned in alienation and disorders. Our first hearing is on S5’s birthday ironically. 3 months from now. It’ll be 5 months of him being withheld if I don’t see him between now and then. I asked his mom if she was really going to keep us apart until then. She answered my question with a question that had nothing to do with it. I told her that I was done talking to her and that I would see her in court. She has no regard for our child beyond what benefits her. I sent his latest care package today. This one was certified mail and the rest will be. My best friend’s mom said that I should do that and it makes sense. I’m pissed.

-a new friend
ForeverDad
Retired Staff

« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2020, 09:41:57 PM »

Remember to put a sticky note on your refrigerator or computer monitor reminding you to always always communicate in as angelic way as possible.  Don't Gift her any excuse to claim a basis for denying you parenting time.  Sure, advisable to keep it limited to parenting matters, only the adult relationship has been over for years.  But don't let her divert you into side issues and endless circular claims.

The only reason my previous post mentioned alternate weekend parenting schedules is because you've been a non-primary parent for so long.  Not only might she claim you don't care to be an involved dad (which your documentation of parenting efforts can refute), the court itself may assume your child is accustomed to a sometimes-there dad.  Court is a bit weird, it may say, "We don't want to give you too much more time because you kid isn't used to having more time with you."  Yes, that's more circular reasoning, some courts have reasoned since your child hasn't had much time with you, we won't order much more time with you because it might upset him.  You need to get out of that parenting rut, though not much you can do until court intervenes for you.

You will be (politely) righteously outraged when you appear in court.  Sadly, we can't promise court too will be righteously outraged at her for your blocked parenting.  Too often courts, mine included, view past misdeeds as water over the dam, especially if there was no order being violated, and typically address matters going forward.  Mine not only didn't give my then-stbEx consequences, not even a long lecture, it also didn't give me makeup time either.

Are you on your child's birth certificate?  (Not sure whether you answered this question before?)  If not, might she try to delay action by claiming you're not the father and demand a DNA test by a company approved by the court?

I can imagine she would appear in court and say, "I just let him see my child for his birthday, so what's the big deal?"  (Sorry, a last minute slice of time is not nearly enough of a solution.)  Or, "I would have let my child see his dad but my child didn't want to see him."  (Sorry, the kids do not choose, there would have to be a major substantiated reason.)

JNChell
a.k.a. "WTL"

« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2020, 09:48:05 PM »

I’m pissed. I have a very hard time not showing it. It’s on my sleeve. Man, I just miss him so much. It doesn’t feel like a man should have to reserve himself like this. I know that my kiddo misses me. She’d call the cops if I knocked on her door. This is f’n crazy. I’m sorry. This is an educational board. I just miss my Son.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2020, 09:57:46 PM by JNChell » Logged

-a new friend
ForeverDad
Retired Staff

« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2020, 10:08:17 PM »

Eventually... when you do eventually get into court... you want the court to see you as the better parent, the parent coming with proposed reasonable and/or practical solutions.

Are you able to parent in an equal time arrangement, perhaps a 2-2-3 (aka 2-2-5-5) schedule?  One parent would get Mon-Tue overnights, the other parent would get Wed-Thu overnights and then the parents alternate weekends with Fri-Sat-Sun overnights.  (That's the equal time schedule my Custody Evaluator recommended for children under 10 years of age.)

Odds are the court may consider moving from 0% to 50% or more as too big a change, but you can take the position that you can share your child while she cannot, as proven by the history.  (My CE wrote in his preliminary report to the court, "Mother cannot share 'her' child but father can.")  That's why I listed so much about aspects you need to secure if, despite every effort, you walk out with less than equal time.

You may not get everything you seek, but do not be too timid.  As the old saying goes, If you ask for it you might get it, but if you don't ask for it then you won't get it.

It's okay to walk out with less than you ask for.  (1) You tried, using as much strategy as possible.  (2) It sets a foundation in court that you want to be an involved father and not just a sometimes dad.

In addition, based on her recent blocking, you can also ask for some level of Decision Making or Tie Breaker status.  Typically a non-primary parent doesn't get that, or at least not for everything, but you have reason to seek that since DM or TB would help you avoid frequent returns to court.

One matter that needs to be addressed is what level of input you have for school matters.  Don't let that fall through the cracks.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2020, 10:14:09 PM by ForeverDad » Logged

JNChell
a.k.a. "WTL"

« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2020, 10:18:04 PM »

I’m 3rd shift so I ‘m going for 3 weekends. She agreed to this before withholding him. I got on her about having him evaluated by a child psychologist. Long story short, I advocated for it, she said yes. I asked if she wanted to be involved in picking a therapist. She told me that I don’t have any rights and she would do the picking. She still hasn’t. I got on her, now it’s court.

-a new friend
Crispy Waffle

« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2020, 10:37:57 PM »

I’m pissed. I have a very hard time not showing it. It’s on my sleeve. Man, I just miss him so much. It doesn’t feel like a man should have to reserve himself like this. I know that my kiddo misses me. She’d call the cops if I knocked on her door. This is f’n crazy. I’m sorry. This is an educational board. I just miss my Son.

You have no reason to apologize to anyone here. This isn't just an educational board; it's a safe place for you to be fully human and share those emotions with others who understand and won't judge you for it. I think I said it before; I can't imagine being in your shoes. It is hard enough with my two teen daughters that can see through much of the BS, and a wife that is not as overt in her maladaptive behavior. And yet I still have a hard time dealing with her.

Vent, share, emote, do whatever is necessary here so that you don't do so in a way that undermines yourself with your BPDex or the courts. And glean the great knowledge from our friend Mighty Mouse on this board. ForeverDad has provided some really big nuggets of wisdom on various topics that I can hopefully draw from when things get real with the divorce.
JNChell
a.k.a. "WTL"

« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2020, 10:50:10 PM »

Thank you CW. What a ride. Who would’ve thought that this would be how it is. I know you didn’t. You wanted your family in tact. Do you ever wonder if you could’ve done better? Something different? I do, but the conclusion ends up the same every time. I’m a bit emotional this evening. Angry and sad. I’m expressing those emotions by sitting here on my couch. Lol

How are things with you?

-a new friend
Crispy Waffle

« Reply #30 on: September 12, 2020, 08:37:51 PM »

Thank you CW. What a ride. Who would’ve thought that this would be how it is. I know you didn’t. You wanted your family in tact. Do you ever wonder if you could’ve done better? Something different? I do, but the conclusion ends up the same every time. I’m a bit emotional this evening. Angry and sad. I’m expressing those emotions by sitting here on my couch. Lol

How are things with you?

Haha. Yeah, what a ride indeed! My boss (who has some messy marital stuff himself) refers to it as the roller coaster, and tells his kids they don't have to go on this ride that mom and dad are on. Never in a million years would I have expected this. My first post here was "blindsided by BPD". There were always some indicators, but I never could have expected the bizarro world in which I find myself. A friend of ours that had visited with my wife even described it that way. Her total lack of emotion and mourning the end of the marriage was just completely surreal according to her. It helped me realize I wasn't crazy and overly-emotional.

And yes, I KNOW I could have done better. I have spent a bunch of time in therapy. In fact in true BPD fashion she would frequently praise the growth I had made. And then turn around and denigrate me. It was never enough. In hind-sight I have come to realize that despite my shortcomings and contributions to this mess, I could have never done enough. You will always be a villain at some point with the BPD in your life. That has actually been the realization that allowed me to stop feeling so broken as a result of her words and deeds. I have to grow, improve and heal for myself and the others in my life (current and future). Not for her.

And as you noted, we could take a different path but the destination would still be the same. All roads lead to the same place. I chatted with a friend that just finalized a divorce from her husband. She had come to a similar conclusion and we talked about that. If you could go back in time and change things...so what, there would be other mistakes along the way, many of which that would lead to the same woes. It gives real meaning to the "growth through trauma". Oh, that life were not so messy. After 3 weeks of the USPS screwing up delivery of "Don't Alienate the Kids" I received it Thursday evening and started reading it today. It's helping to reinforce the importance of staying in control of myself and my emotions through this. My inner caveman wants to do the opposite.

But you know what... I am going to be just fine. You said so. So it must be true. And so too, it is with you.  Being cool (click to insert in post)
JNChell
a.k.a. "WTL"

« Reply #31 on: September 13, 2020, 04:08:02 PM »

It’s quite an experience. My parents never split. They were both abusive, which I’ve been trying to figure out. I try to talk to my sister who is the Golden child. She realizes the dynamic. She is also a psychologist. We have to be careful during our talks to keep things in line ethically. I’m on board with that. We share a lot of similarities, at the same time we don’t. Scapegoat and Golden child. These are both forms of abuse. I experienced a lot violence. Physical, emotional and psychological. Sis was groomed to be the best. There’s no balance there. Somehow, we both came out of our situation fairly in tact.

-a new friend
empathic

Relationship status: Separated since 2016-06

« Reply #32 on: September 14, 2020, 02:40:11 AM »

It’s quite an experience. My parents never split. They were both abusive, which I’ve been trying to figure out. I try to talk to my sister who is the Golden child. She realizes the dynamic. She is also a psychologist. We have to be careful during our talks to keep things in line ethically. I’m on board with that. We share a lot of similarities, at the same time we don’t. Scapegoat and Golden child. These are both forms of abuse. I experienced a lot violence. Physical, emotional and psychological. Sis was groomed to be the best. There’s no balance there. Somehow, we both came out of our situation fairly in tact.

Sorry to hear this. My parents never split either. They were not quite abusive, more like neglecting my emotional needs. They were/are narcissists. My sister was also a golden child but managed to come out of it ok.

Probably similar background as a lot of people on here. Quite the reason why I chose my now ex, and still let her get away with a lot of things while I try to be the "fixer".

I'm also struggling with seeing my children enough. We've stayed out of the courts and while it started out at 50-50 (at least with daughter) my ex, being a highly functional expert manipulator soon made it so they both stay with her full-time. They are older teenagers now, can't wait for them to move to something of their own. It all feels very unfair.
JNChell
a.k.a. "WTL"

« Reply #33 on: September 14, 2020, 11:05:22 PM »

It’s just a messed up situation. Every bit of literature that I read says that a parent that does these things is most likely Cluster B. The Cluster B will drag your balls through a mile of broken glass.

You can’t fix her. Seriously. Do you have any contact with your kids?

-a new friend
empathic

Relationship status: Separated since 2016-06

« Reply #34 on: September 17, 2020, 03:43:59 AM »

It’s just a messed up situation. Every bit of literature that I read says that a parent that does these things is most likely Cluster B. The Cluster B will drag your balls through a mile of broken glass.

You can’t fix her. Seriously. Do you have any contact with your kids?

You are absolutely right. But I feel that I have to put up a facade to not cause her stress, which would backfire on me. She's capable of a lot, which she showed at the time of separation. So I'm trying not to stir things up. It's gotten better though. She has a new guy (since less than a year after we split) which seems to have a calming effect.

Yes, I see them now and then. Try to involve myself as much as I can, driving them places etc. Problem is my ex doesn't work, she lives off an inheritance so she has all the time in the world to put into this. And she wants everything - she'd never take a step back and let me drive them somewhere if she can, for example.

Some periods I can see them quite often (especially my son). Other times it can go 2-3 weeks without seeing them at all. Texting and voice is a poor substitute I've learnt. I miss the day-to-day stuff.

My daughter talked about maybe wanting to get back to 50-50 yesterday when we were out shopping though, so that is a glimpse of hope.
Panda39

Relationship status: SO and I have been together 9 years and have just moved in together this summer.

« Reply #35 on: September 17, 2020, 11:08:45 AM »

Excerpt
Vent, share, emote, do whatever is necessary here so that you don't do so in a way that undermines yourself with your BPDex or the courts.
  Doing the right thing (click to insert in post) Doing the right thing (click to insert in post) Doing the right thing (click to insert in post) Doing the right thing (click to insert in post) Doing the right thing (click to insert in post)

Totally, agree with Crispy Waffle here! 

I will also want to validate that you absolutely have things to be angry about, but it's important that you put seeing your son before all else.

My partner had one of the bad, high conflict, parental alienation 2 year divorces that you hear about around here. 

He had lots of things to be angry about and for the most part kept it in check around his kids, but one day he was on the phone with the ex and she hung up on him and he got frustrated and threw the phone into the couch.  That got twisted by his ex with the help of their alienated daughters into, the phone was thrown against the wall and shattered, to it being thrown at the girls, to he wouldn't let them use the phone to call their mother, to him not letting them leave his apartment, to physical abuse that he was required to show up to court for.  He did not see his kids again until after court.

He showed up at court with his intact phone and told his story.

His uBPDxw didn't bother to come to court, Ms. so concerned about the horrible abuse done to her kids told the court she was sick.  In reality she was out having a Mani/Pedi with one of their daughters. (miss the barfing emoji!)

He told his story and was court ordered to see someone about "Anger Management"...which was a blessing in disguise his new Therapist was really helpful to him moving forward. 

What I'm getting at is that something as benign as throwing a phone into the couch out of frustration can blow up into something that can set you back. 

His children had no idea that because they went along with their mother due to parental alienation or just going along to get along, they may have had to have supervised visitation with their dad, and because of the alimony and child support he was paying, he did not have the funds to pay someone to supervise the visits. So they would not have seen him at all.

Hang in there.  I too am happy to hear you've taken action and are heading to court to get custody worked out.  Your son deserves to have his dad in his life.

Panda39

"Have you ever looked fear in the face and just said, I just don't care" -Pink
JNChell
a.k.a. "WTL"

« Reply #36 on: September 17, 2020, 04:58:11 PM »

Panda39, I’m terrified of going to court. It’s so upside down. This woman can take my child from me and feel nothing while doing it.

-a new friend
Panda39

Relationship status: SO and I have been together 9 years and have just moved in together this summer.

« Reply #37 on: September 17, 2020, 05:14:07 PM »

I know it's scary, most of us have never had to go to court for anything so don't know how it works.  It's also scary because we like to control things and in this scenario someone else will be making a really important decision that effects your life.

But doing what you are doing now is not working, so you need to change up your approach.  By going to court you are asserting your rights as your son's dad.  Being prepared is important too,  I hope you have been documenting her refusals to let you see your son and your efforts to have contact, that information should help you.

Try not to focus on the fear, or on your ex, focus on the goal of seeing your son.  Keep your eye on the prize.  Virtual hug (click to insert in post) 

Panda39

"Have you ever looked fear in the face and just said, I just don't care" -Pink
Crispy Waffle

« Reply #38 on: September 17, 2020, 11:03:12 PM »

Panda39, I’m terrified of going to court. It’s so upside down. This woman can take my child from me and feel nothing while doing it.

JNChell, I can't recall if you mentioned having read "Don't Alienate the Kids". I'm reading it now and its helping me get my head straight about making sure I'm not contributing to a high conflict divorce. I know that I can be my own worst enemy if I let my emotions get the better of me, and she has already talked about sharing some of my venting at her with her lawyer.

There might be some valuable knowledge in that book for you and your situation. You may even find that you can avoid court if you play your cards right. I've finally reconciled myself with the fact that I can only go up from here, so long as I don't shoot myself in the foot. That has allowed me to stop being as anxious about the future. And face it, we can prepare for the future, but we can't control it, so I try not to be controlled by my emotions over it. I keep finding that fueling my reaction to her BS and it becomes a vicious, self-perpetuating cycle. And I think she is trying to manipulate me to behave that way; baiting me into f-ing up. I try to short-circuit that when I feel myself losing it. Boy is it hard.

"Your worst enemy cannot harm you as much as your own thoughts, unguarded. But once mastered, no one can help you as much." -Buddha

"The past can be nothing but the memory of the way we felt about it. So we are prisoners of our own past in this way." -Gurdjieff
JNChell
a.k.a. "WTL"

« Reply #39 on: September 17, 2020, 11:41:44 PM »

Thanks, CW. I’m familiar with the title of the book, but I haven’t read it yet. My emotions are on overdrive with her. I own my part and won’t deny my bad behavior. I’ll be damned if I’ll be quiet when it comes to our Son. I understand that there is a lot of advice that is available when it comes to these situations. On a societal level, things are not getting better and I don’t see any benefit in following guidelines that keep pushing a toxic narrative forward. I’m not going to be quiet when it comes to my Son. If she successfully alienates him from me, and there comes a time when he’s curious, he’ll need proof that his dad fought for him. Not all of this BS that is currently being floated. A Son needs a Father that is a man. An example. Someone that doesn’t give up. An example. That’s what parents should be for their children. In making this decision, I have to ask myself if I can endure the worst case scenario. If I don’t see him for a very long time. I can because he’s my Son. I’ll never abandon him.

It is hard. I have all of the tools and knowledge with me. It’s really hard when I can plainly see her using our child like this. I reckon that that shows that I’m still weak against this BS. Feeling helpless sucks. I love my Son more than anything. She knows that. That’s her card. I don’t hold any cards because I don’t play that game. I’ve tried, but I can’t beat a narcissist.

-a new friend
JNChell
a.k.a. "WTL"

« Reply #40 on: September 17, 2020, 11:54:51 PM »

Thank you Panda39. I’ve always appreciated your pragmatic and objective approach. I mean that with sincerity. It’s just hard. I love my Son. She knows it. She also knows that I know her because I’ve called her on it. The one thing that can hurt me the most is now in play. I messed up. I worry about him. I’m sure that he’s fine, but I worry. He’s only 5. I send him care packages every week. I hope that his mom is reading the messages that I send to him.

I’m trying to keep myself squared away, but it is very hard when I have no contact with my Son.

-a new friend
Crispy Waffle

« Reply #41 on: September 19, 2020, 02:25:16 PM »

Thanks, CW. I’m familiar with the title of the book, but I haven’t read it yet. My emotions are on overdrive with her. I own my part and won’t deny my bad behavior. I’ll be damned if I’ll be quiet when it comes to our Son. I understand that there is a lot of advice that is available when it comes to these situations. On a societal level, things are not getting better and I don’t see any benefit in following guidelines that keep pushing a toxic narrative forward. I’m not going to be quiet when it comes to my Son. If she successfully alienates him from me, and there comes a time when he’s curious, he’ll need proof that his dad fought for him. Not all of this BS that is currently being floated. A Son needs a Father that is a man. An example. Someone that doesn’t give up. An example. That’s what parents should be for their children. In making this decision, I have to ask myself if I can endure the worst case scenario. If I don’t see him for a very long time. I can because he’s my Son. I’ll never abandon him.

It is hard. I have all of the tools and knowledge with me. It’s really hard when I can plainly see her using our child like this. I reckon that that shows that I’m still weak against this BS. Feeling helpless sucks. I love my Son more than anything. She knows that. That’s her card. I don’t hold any cards because I don’t play that game. I’ve tried, but I can’t beat a narcissist.

Indeed! It's that knife edge that I'm trying to walk as well. Fight for what is right, without looking like I am the problem. And like you, my ex holds many of the cards and is adept at being manipulative, at presenting herself as the victim.

The book speaks to the issue of the courts being ill-suited to dealing with family matters, and in fact potentially undermining the "better" parent if they approach the divorce the wrong way. I intend to write out a specific strategy, with consultation from my therapist, on how to approach this if/when it goes to court, mediation, etc. I'll be damned if I'm going to continue to be subject to her abuse, manipulation, etc. But if I go in with the mindset of me against her, then it potentially backfires, especially if she can flip the script and use that as "see, he's abusive". There's a fine line between demonstrating what is best for your boy, and being seen as pushing what is best for you and/or trying to undermine your ex. It's a big poop sandwich, and I'm tired of eating it. But it looks like it is on the menu for a while longer.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest