Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 18, 2024, 01:26:52 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Expert insight for adult children
Family dynamics matter.
Alan Fruzzetti, PhD
Listening to shame
Brené Brown, PhD
Blame - why we do it?
Brené Brown, PhD
How to spot a liar
Pamela Meyer
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Thinking of Everyone Having a Tough Time on Mother's Day  (Read 403 times)
Clouds46

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent
Relationship status: NC

« on: May 09, 2021, 01:12:53 PM »

Just wanted to share my thoughts and solidarity with any of you out there for whom Mother's Day is a hard day. 

For most of my life I went into every Mother's Day with my uBPD mother feeling overwhelming anxiety, fear, and dread because of how she acted.

Now that she's no longer in my life I am left grateful to not have to go through that anymore, but also sad and reflective of all the wild and terrible things that have happened, and really just feeling the absence of having a mother with whom I could ever have a remotely normal and happy Mother's Day.

For anyone going through this too, you are not alone...
zachira
Ambassador

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Sibling

« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2021, 02:28:27 PM »

Thank you for your thoughfulness in supporting all of us who feel sad about never having had the kind of mother every child deserves no matter how old they are. The holidays can be painful when we are expected to be celebrating joyously with a wonderful family.  

Onyx22

Relationship status: NC

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2021, 07:00:20 PM »

Thanks for this post Smiling (click to insert in post)
Over the weekend I kept hearing messages of "Say thanks for all she's done for you!" ... Even in a show I'm watching there was a "But they're your parent, just call them!" Kinda stuff, ugh.

It got me thinking about the good things my mother has done, and things she's done with positive intentions. It hurts to think about the person she can be sometimes.
I've had to remind myself that that person only has conditional love for me, no matter how it looks when things are going well. No matter what my siblings see in her.
I can't change the way things are. She won't take responsibility for her disproportionate reactions or stop requiring control. Having proof of that isn't always enough for me though. Hearing all those mother's day messages still make me feel like I'm overreacting.

It helps a lot having this community that gets it  Virtual hug (click to insert in post)
Need2Heal

Relationship status: Living together

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2021, 02:19:10 PM »

I just found this site today and I have always felt this and felt so alone.  I'm not happy that any of us have to experience this, but it makes me feel better that I'm not alone.  I too see all the "so grateful for my mom", "a mom is a blessing" etc etc.  I read it and feel disgust, sadness.  On no level do I have those feelings for mine.  I take comfort in knowing however, that I have a 6 year old daughter that I get to spend time with on Mother's day and I always thank her for making me a mommy and what a true gift she is.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest