Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 16, 2024, 11:06:41 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Our abuse recovery guide
Survivor to Thriver | Free download.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: BPD mother  (Read 395 times)
princessveri
Fewer than 3 Posts

What is your sexual orientation: Bisexual
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent
Relationship status: living together

« on: June 15, 2021, 01:29:36 AM »

My mom has never been diagnosed (she refuses to see a doctor or therapist) but she seems to fit the criteria for BPD and therapists I have seen have suggested that is what she has. I'm home visiting them right now (I'm in my mid 20s, live with my boyfriend in another state) and it's been 2 days and already there is so much drama. She misinterprets the things I say, acts as though things are black and white, blames me for things, tries to guilt trip me frequently, and her emotions just flip flop one second to the other. She's also constantly yelling at my dad. I'm honestly not sure how to interact with her that will make for a positive visit for both of us. I set a boundary with her and she did NOT take it well. It's kind of a problem because I have my own mental health stuff to deal with, my anxiety is through the roof just being around her. I love her but it's hard to have a good relationship sometimes.
pursuingJoy
Retired Staff

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Inlaw

« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2021, 01:30:11 PM »

princessveri, it's been a few days since you posted. How did the visit go? Are you home with your bf now?

From what you shared it does seem likely that your mom exhibits BPD behaviors. What boundary did you set and how did she respond?

We're glad you're here. I'm so sorry you're dealing with this. I'm hopeful that the distance offers some relief?

Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another: What! You too? ~CS Lewis
Koala323

What is your sexual orientation: Gay, lesb
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent
Relationship status: Live with partner

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2021, 02:06:12 AM »

@princessveri

I'm so sorry you're going through this; your experience is so relatable!  I can't stay at home for the holidays for more than a couple days, and I've found the best way to make it work for me now is to make plans outside of the house every day and tell my mom those plans are for 4 hours even though it's really only for 2, which buys me 2 hours of alone time to rest up and recuperate before going in for another round.

The reason those boundaries are important is because they're constantly violated.  Keep it up - it's hard now, but setting boundaries will help you in the future, and it will feel like the pressure valve lets up on you when your boundary works down the line.  Also, you mentioned how it's extra hard given your own mental health.  It's so important that you prioritize your mental health - relationships with BPD parents are built around us having solid boundaries and being able to sufficiently take care of our own health, in whatever way we need.

Also, it helps me to remember that my being home is a choice you make, and a privilege - not a right or a guarantee.  If your mom can't respect your boundaries, the consequence is you won't be able to come home.

I love my mom too, so much.  It's hard.  Thinking of you.
pursuingJoy
Retired Staff

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Inlaw

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2021, 10:09:08 AM »

If your mom can't respect your boundaries, the consequence is you won't be able to come home.

100% agree. I believe this for me and my mom, and I believe it for me and my kids.

Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another: What! You too? ~CS Lewis
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest