Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
March 28, 2024, 09:03:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Books members most read
The High
Conflict Couple
Loving Someone with
Borderline Personality Disorder
Loving the
Self-Absorbed
Borderline Personality
Disorder Demystified

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Having to live with family members diagnosed with BPD  (Read 373 times)
mama04
Fewer than 3 Posts

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Family other
Relationship status: No longer live with

« on: August 09, 2021, 11:32:32 AM »

This post is to introduce myself to the group. I mainly want others with family members who are also BPD. I grew up with a BPD mom. My first husband was BPD with severe OCD. My daughter got into drugs and drinking, and always had odd behavior. She was diagnosed few years ago when she turned 36 with BPD, OCD, with a sprinkling of schizophrenia. My son who just turned 24 has been diagnosed with BPD and Suicide Ideation. I've been exposed all my life and I've naturally learned - the hard way - how to deal with each family member. I'm rereading "Walking on Eggshells"; the new edition that just came out has been more helpful. My younger brother and I talk about it often since his wife also has BPD. We have become each others "eye of the storm" so to speak. I guess what I'm looking for is a group unlike my well-meaning friends who think all you need to do is love them and that fixes everything. We all know better. We love each and every family member, but we've learned the hard way, that love doesn't always work.
Our objective is to better understand the struggles our child faces and to learn the skills to improve our relationship and provide a supportive environment and also improve on our own emotional responses, attitudes and effectiveness as a family leaders
wantmorepeace

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Sibling
Relationship status: connected

« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2021, 12:10:33 PM »

Agreed.  Love does not make everything fine and well-meaning friends and family often do not get it!

I also think that an important question is what making things "work" means in this context.  What do you want to accomplish that you can realistically accomplish (or said another way, that you have control over)?  Then the question becomes what it takes to get there. 
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest