Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 20, 2024, 08:26:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Family Court Strategies: When Your Partner Has BPD OR NPD Traits. Practicing lawyer, Senior Family Mediator, and former Licensed Clinical Social Worker with twelve years’ experience and an expert on navigating the Family Court process.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How to talk to child when coparent acts like a victim all the time  (Read 404 times)
Kat82

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent

« on: July 27, 2021, 09:41:22 PM »

Hi everyone! My ex (undiagnosed but had BPD/NPD traits) and I coparent our 7 year old daughter and overall she seems quite resilient and happy. However over the last year I find she has more and more stories of how people are so mean to daddy and she seems quite distraught when she tells them.Her father has always loved to play the victim and acts like he’s always the target of some conspiracy against him. I am just concerned he seems to be trying to make her into his emotional rescuer. I’ve told her that he is a grown up and can deal with his own feelings and problems and she doesn’t have to worry. But I wanted to hear what others do in this situation? I worry she’ll develop social anxiety thinking that other people are always out to get you, or feel like she has to parent her own dad.
ForeverDad
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: separated 2005 then divorced

You can't reason with the Voice of Unreason...

« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2021, 08:49:18 PM »

We have a theme here, well, many themes, but a major one is that kids should not be put in the middle.  Her dad is involving her in his adult issues and that's not healthy.  It's good that you've noticed and are doing your best to counteract that.

Besides your own balancing input, can she take advantage of counseling?  Do you have some level of Decision Making for health issues?  If simply joint, then likely her dad might object to any light being shined on his issues, but have you tried that?  If you ever end up in family court again, rest assured courts love counseling.  Even if dad objects, likely the court will agree with you about counseling.

Schools also have counselors.  They may be able to provide support also, though probably limited.

mart555

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2021, 02:55:30 PM »

I am just concerned he seems to be trying to make her into his emotional rescuer.

I think that this is a valid concern and if your daughter has a lot of empathy she may feel like she has to do it, and that her dad's happiness depends on her.   Definitely look into emotional validation (there's a book called "The Power of Validation").  Quite difficult for young kids but it seems easier with time.  I had to explain to my youngest (12) multiple time that he needs to make choices based on what he wants / makes him feel good and not to please his mother (ie: if she asks for something or offers him a choice).

Be the stable parent.

Kat82

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2021, 09:38:17 PM »

Thank you for the suggestions, I always appreciate the advice on this forum. Unfortunately therapy isn’t something I can decide on without his consent and he’s made it clear he doesn’t support the idea. I’ll definitely take a look at that book and if things are becoming unmanageable then see about a guidance counsellor at school.
Thanks so much!
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest