Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 20, 2024, 07:14:09 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Books members most read
The High
Conflict Couple
Loving Someone with
Borderline Personality Disorder
Loving the
Self-Absorbed
Borderline Personality
Disorder Demystified

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Can’t have a two way conversation  (Read 385 times)
Boogie74

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: Engaged

« on: October 11, 2021, 10:54:58 PM »

I realize (now) that it is very common for pwBPD to project problems and accuse others of things like being a narcissist or pushing them away.

I am having trouble even having a 2 way conversation.   If I do much as share a thought or even respond that I agree with a statement she makes, I am accused of being selfish and sticking my unwanted opinion into the situation.   I am told that I’m a narcissist for having something to share in the conversation.   I apparently “interrupt and hog the conversation”when she’s talking.

In reality, I am simply listening to what she says and sharing ideas or thoughts that I have to stay engaged in the conversation.   If I don’t share anything on my mind about what she’s saying, she is in a one way discussion- 10-20 minutes of her talking and I am “forbidden” to speak a word.   Anything short of that makes me an egocentric narcissist that hogs the discussion with things that she says “no one cares to hear about”

Am I alone in this issue?
RELATIONSHIP PROBLEM SOLVING
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members are welcomed to express frustration but must seek constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

Hope4Joy

Relationship status: Married

« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2021, 11:27:45 AM »

You are not alone. I get blamed for interrupting. Other times it’s “why aren’t you responding faster”. I know I’m not the best at communication, but I like to think I can carry a conversation and know when to apologize for interrupting vs when I am giving an appropriate response, but perhaps not.

Those with experience - do they just not want to hear our ideas? Do we need to preface with “could I say something?” Or “this could be another way to think about it”
Jabiru
Ambassador

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2021, 10:52:00 AM »

I am accused of being selfish and sticking my unwanted opinion into the situation.   I am told that I’m a narcissist for having something to share in the conversation.   I apparently “interrupt and hog the conversation”when she’s talking.
I think I can check those on my list too Smiling (click to insert in post) Do you want to keep putting up with that? If not, try setting boundaries to stop any verbal abuse. If it continues after a warning, simply say you need some alone time and exit the room. It sounds like you've become her caretaker and she expects an unbalanced relationship. I recommend reading Stop Caretaking the Borderline or Narcissist as inspiration to change the paradigm in your relationship to become more healthy. It can be hard in the short term but with long term benefits.

Do they just not want to hear our ideas? Do we need to preface with “could I say something?” Or “this could be another way to think about it”
Maybe. They can take someone having a different opinion as an attack even if it's not meant to be. Prefacing can help -- see what works for you. I'd echo the boundaries comment above. I think it's important to have a support network of friends and family (other than your BPD loved one) so you can have more normal interactions and ground yourself.
NonnyMouse

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2021, 04:40:14 PM »

Prefacing can help.

Choose your moment, when they are “up.” And if you want to introduce a new topic try and relate it to what you are already talking about.

Those work for me usually.

If in doubt STFU! Sometimes I think it’s best never to start a conversation. And only reply, carefully, to direct questions.

It hurts, though, not being able to share my own thoughts.
thankful person

What is your sexual orientation: Gay, lesb

Formerly known as broken person…

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2021, 05:05:40 PM »

If in doubt STFU!
I usually get accused of “taking over” and “making it all about me”. I am reading the stop caretaking book and I’m finding it excellent and helpful along with the support here.
One of the things I’ve tried recently, since being on here, is not offering suggestions where I usually would. And it seems to be really helping. It’s making me realise how strong the urge is to offer to step in and do things for my wife and fix things she struggles with. And in an almost creepy way, I’m like, omg it’s true… I actually have been making her behaviour and treatment of me even worse…as well as doing far too many things for her to avoid her getting upset. But I have been keeping her dependent. And hopefully it will help her too, to become more independent whilst I attempt to step away from the caretaking role.

“Maybe I’ll get it right next time…” from “Estranged” by Guns N’ Roses
Boogie74

Relationship status: Engaged

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2021, 07:14:07 PM »

I usually get accused of “taking over” and “making it all about me”.

I am told this ALL THE TIME!  Her family is also filled with uBPD and uNPD.   She is the only one that is educated in her family.   A common refrain from her mother and sister is “He’s/She’s poking her nose where it don’t belong [sic]”

They are a wholly unhealthy/dysfunctional family and almost all of them fear embarrassment of seeking any kind of medical care- they will debate calling 911 or going to the hospital for big emergencies like chest pains or broken limbs.   
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest