Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 24, 2024, 05:36:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Things I couldn't have known
Emotional Blackmail: Fear, Obligation and Guilt (FOG)
Am I the Cause of Borderline Personality Disorder?
Escaping Conflict and the Karpman Drama Triangle
I think it's Borderline Personality Disorder, but how can I know?
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hello and thanks  (Read 362 times)
momdog05
Fewer than 3 Posts

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Child
Relationship status: adult child/lives with her 3 1/2 son

« on: October 20, 2021, 08:40:43 AM »

Hello-
I am new to this forum, but have hope that joining will provide me with much needed support. I have a 34 year old daughter with BPD who has a 3 1/2 year old son. She has never been married, has been on disability since she was 25- was accepted on her first application due to her multiple mental and physical issues. She has been in some sort of therapy pretty much since she was 13. But her bpd has not improved, in fact it seems worse recently. She wants to be a good mom, but she is not able to regulate herself when she is with him (or any other time, really) and I am very worried about the impact this is having on him. I am her main "target" for most of her emotional outbursts. I have done a lot of work to understand how my reactions can help or hinder things, but it seems no matter what I do, it is wrong. I have attended a Family Connections training, and frequently go back over the videos and materials, but it is not enough. I have been in therapy myself for the last 2 years. I have battled with alcohol abuse, and am currently abstinent-working toward sobriety. I have used this as an ineffective coping mechanism since my grandson was born, but realize that it has not done any good.
I am looking to connect with others who have an adult child with bpd for support on this very difficult journey. . Should I share more information? How do I connect? How do I get notifications that there is activity on my submissions? I am not sure how this works, so any feedback/comments are appreciated.
Thanks
Our objective is to better understand the struggles our child faces and to learn the skills to improve our relationship and provide a supportive environment and also improve on our own emotional responses, attitudes and effectiveness as a family leaders
kells76
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner’s ex

« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2021, 09:27:04 AM »

Hi momdog05, glad you found the forum. It is a great place to share and receive support without judgment or having to explain why things are "different" with your family relationships. Not everyone gets it unless they live it!

Excerpt
her bpd has not improved, in fact it seems worse recently.

Anything happen in her life recently that was a change, transition, unusual? A surgery, move, birthday, etc? pwBPD (persons with BPD, whether diagnosed or not) often struggle to cope healthily with change.

Excerpt
she is not able to regulate herself when she is with him (or any other time, really) and I am very worried about the impact this is having on him

Is she open to getting parenting support, or would she see that as stigmatizing/"not needed"? Our area has an "ages zero to three" parenting hotline/support center, and also a "crisis nursery" where parents in deep struggle can drop off their young children for respite. Would she be open to that?

Excerpt
I have attended a Family Connections training, and frequently go back over the videos and materials, but it is not enough. I have been in therapy myself for the last 2 years. I have battled with alcohol abuse, and am currently abstinent-working toward sobriety. I have used this as an ineffective coping mechanism since my grandson was born, but realize that it has not done any good.

You deserve recognition for making these positive changes in your life. You know, it just struck me, sometimes we cope with the pwBPD in certain ways -- we get in "ruts" -- and so they can expect a "typical" response from us (arguing, appeasing, conflict, etc). When we actually make BETTER, healthier changes, because pwBPD struggle with change, they can escalate their poor behaviors for a while. So, what is often said around here is: sometimes things get worse before they get better. I wonder if she is escalating a bit now that you are doing healthier things -- to see if she can get the "normal" responses back? If so... hang in there! Eventually she will learn that it's a "new you" and she won't escalate in response to your healthier ways.

momdog05, if you feel comfortable sharing, in addition to personal therapy (  Doing the right thing (click to insert in post) by the way), are you involved in any 12-step type groups? I ask because when there's a pwBPD in our lives, whether child, parent, ex, etc, the more support we have on our journey, the better.

Excerpt
I am looking to connect with others who have an adult child with bpd for support on this very difficult journey.

You are 110% in the right place  Being cool (click to insert in post)

Excerpt
Should I share more information?

As much or as little as you personally feel comfortable with, no requirements to do more than works for you. Just no personal names/identifiers!

Excerpt
How do I connect?

Keep posting on this board like you just did! You can reply to others' posts -- feel free to hop in on any thread that speaks to you.

Excerpt
How do I get notifications that there is activity on my submissions?

Hmmm... I think there is a way, though I can't remember off the top of my head. I will try to look that up if others don't respond with info.

Excerpt
I am not sure how this works, so any feedback/comments are appreciated.

You're doing great, and we're glad you're here! I'll check back to see if you were able to click "Reply" and post something.

kells76
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest