Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 18, 2024, 05:49:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Expert insight for adult children
Family dynamics matter.
Alan Fruzzetti, PhD
Listening to shame
Brené Brown, PhD
Blame - why we do it?
Brené Brown, PhD
How to spot a liar
Pamela Meyer
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: twilight zone  (Read 423 times)
pursuingJoy
Retired Staff

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Inlaw

« on: July 18, 2022, 08:42:04 AM »

It's been a hot minute since I posted an update on uBPD MIL.

After 3 years of refusing to visit because I didn't want her to stay overnight, MIL finally came down for the day for a musical our youngest was in. The musical was incredible, kiddo nailed it. Interactions in the lobby though? Twilight zoney.

I think H's fear of his mom plays out in his relationship with his ex. We arrived early. Ex, late as usual, came up to us in line, ignored me, excessive *gush gush* over seeing MIL, then said to H, "Oh I have a big group coming we want front row seats so we're just gonna scoot in line with you here, or how about you just save us some seats? We need a bunch, second row back." Coulda knocked me over with a feather when H went along with it and asked how many they needed. Ex ended up pushing her boyfriend into line with us so that he could save the seats. Bless boyfriend's heart. How are we not past cutting in line? Laugh out loud (click to insert in post)

When I say *gush gush*, ex acted like she and MIL were long lost best friends, kissing, hugging multiple times throughout the night, laughing and joking and carrying on. MIL basked in it, giving it right back, cracking jokes. They couldn't stand each other when H and ex were married. MIL quit giving us money and now gives ex money for the kids. We didn't need her money but ex loves money. Ex is also no longer a threat to MIL's closeness with her son. It likely makes them both feel good to carry on like that in front of me, too. It makes sense that they're cozy but it's super weird.  

After the performance, ex was waltzing around the lobby delightedly saying, "I made that," referring to her daughter who played the lead, the same daughter who worked really hard to get this part, nailed it and deserved her own credit. Even H said it was hard to watch.

Ex brought her best friend and sister, people H and MIL hadn't seen since they divorced 10 years ago, and they were all connecting again. MIL gushed like they were all best friends, even though she's said awful things about them to me. I was thankful it seemed like a positive reconnection for H, and I understand how relieving it can feel to see people again, but I was largely ignored and sidelined. I happily made my way outside to hang out with my introverted step son.

It got me reflecting on the dynamic. MIL is a toll booth, a checkpoint. Whether people are connected to each other is up to her. She can malign you and put you down, disconnecting you, or she can serve as the connection point between you. At no time do you have the freedom to go around her and connect as individuals. It's a contrast from my family, where my mom is just another member, and if anything, serves as consistent glue. She doesn't put herself in power. She doesn't insert herself into my relationships with my siblings. She doesn't put us down to each other. She is happy when we come, and doesn't guilt us when we don't.

Experiences with my H's world always leave me feeling lonely, crazy, small, and like an outsider. If I hadn't been married before into a very loving, accepting in-law family, I would think I was the problem. BPD is so toxic.

Overall, H's patience with his mom ebbs and flows. He gets frustrated with her and I see more cracks in the "mom is perfect, just give her a chance" storyline. At the moment she is working out and getting out with friends, and I can almost hear the sigh of relief from my H. I don't hear as much about her moving down here, but I'm still holding my breath. She's complaining a LOT about the cost of living where she is and can't find a house that's nice enough for her.

So that's my As The World Turns update. Thanks for coming to my TED talk. Laugh out loud (click to insert in post)  Smiling (click to insert in post)
« Last Edit: July 18, 2022, 08:54:52 AM by pursuingJoy » Logged

Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another: What! You too? ~CS Lewis
I Am Redeemed
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Divorced

« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2022, 09:11:50 AM »

When you said excessive "gush gush", your description of it is exactly how I imagined it.

Certainly some insight into the dynamics of relationships that your H has experienced. He seems to get bulldozed by "big" personalities.

Was it actually a positive reconnection for him, or a situation he was caught in and didn't know how to handle?

I'm with you and introvert SS. I would have slinked outside at the first chance I got.

I think it's natural to feel lonely and like an outsider watching displays such as this that are inauthentic. Also normal to feel "small" in contrast to such "big", over the top personalities.

Why is MIL looking to move to a different house? You may have mentioned before, but I don't remember the reason.

It would be great if she had some friends who already live in a senior community or assisted living facility that they really enjoy and could recommend to her.

We are more than just our stories.
zachira
Ambassador

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Sibling

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2022, 11:17:42 AM »

PursuingJoy,
It is good to hear from you. You are on to the fact that relationships for your MIL are transactional, all about her, and she is constantly moving the goalposts. You are lucky to have had healthy relationships modeled by your mother and former MIL. It seems you are now more of an observer of your MIL's interactions and are less of a target for her because you refuse to play her games. Thank you for sharing your progress and for being a role model for members on PSI.

pursuingJoy
Retired Staff

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2022, 12:30:10 PM »

Certainly some insight into the dynamics of relationships that your H has experienced. He seems to get bulldozed by "big" personalities.

Is it weird that his mom and ex are the only people that can bulldoze him? He's generally a people pleaser and he knows that about himself, but he's also a gifted leader, manages a lot of people, runs a successful division at work, has great friendships with people who hold him accountable and challenge him. If anyone else spoke to him the way his mom and ex do, his eyebrows would go through the roof and he would bristle and push back. Sometimes he pushes a little too hard, IMO. It's remarkable to see him cave.

Was it actually a positive reconnection for him, or a situation he was caught in and didn't know how to handle?

Both. He said he felt relief having seen and talked to them, he used the word closure. Did he handle it well? Nah, not all the way. He introduced me once, I was sidestepped by everyone the rest of the time.

I'm with you and introvert SS. I would have slinked outside at the first chance I got.

I think it's natural to feel lonely and like an outsider watching displays such as this that are inauthentic. Also normal to feel "small" in contrast to such "big", over the top personalities.

YES! Thanks for this validation. I didn't realize how much I needed it. I was feeling some shame, like somehow I let my insecurity get the best of me or something, but it really was a lot to handle. There were several of us seeking sanctuary outside Laugh out loud (click to insert in post)

Why is MIL looking to move to a different house? You may have mentioned before, but I don't remember the reason.

At first it was her prop mgmt company, they were supposedly charging her extra and set her up for auto payments without her consent (even though there was a signed form on file). Now it's that the cost has gone up considerably. There is no law in this State that says a landlord can't raise the rent as much as he wants to, and she got hit with a $500 increase in rent. She can afford it but she's mad about it, and I would be too.

Agree that it would be amazing for her to move with people who share her interests and life experiences! Several of her friends are trying to talk her into living with them. She expresses excitement then comes up with every excuse in the book why she can't do it, mostly money. She can afford it. For now she seems to relish the attention she gets from D30 and my husband, the fret over her options. For now it doesn't sound like moving here is high on the list and for that, I'm grateful.

She's on a high at the moment, exercising, taking meds, being social. It's the easiest part of the cycle for people around her.

It seems you are now more of an observer of your MIL's interactions and are less of a target for her because you refuse to play her games.

Z, thank you. That means a lot, and I agree. It was a lonely experience but I wasn't drawn into the games this time and I'm so thankful. I'm getting there thanks to you all on this board, therapy, and hard work.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2022, 12:46:26 PM by pursuingJoy » Logged

Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another: What! You too? ~CS Lewis
Turkish
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Other
Relationship status: "Divorced"/abandoned by SO in Feb 2013; Mother with BPD, PTSD, Depression and Anxiety: RIP in 2021.

Dad to my wolf pack

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2022, 09:40:30 PM »

The Queen needs to rule her subjects.

Congrats to you for dealing with The Court while not enabling.

“For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.” ― Rudyard Kipling
pursuingJoy
Retired Staff

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2022, 11:33:15 AM »

The Queen needs to rule her subjects.

Congrats to you for dealing with The Court while not enabling.

Laugh out loud (click to insert in post) thanks Turkish

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest