Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 24, 2024, 02:38:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Experts share their discoveries [video]
Caretaking - What is it all about?
Margalis Fjelstad, PhD
Blame - why we do it?
Brené Brown, PhD
Family dynamics matter.
Alan Fruzzetti, PhD
A perspective on BPD
Ivan Spielberg, PhD
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Non BPD Parent experiencing alienation from adult children  (Read 468 times)
picturelady

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Relationship status: Married 25 years; 4 years ago succeeded in obtaining a divorce. Got a new job, back to world of teaching I go! Rebuilding my life at age (well, we won't go there.) ;)

« on: January 29, 2023, 06:22:26 AM »

I'm not sure where to post this. I don't see any message boards specific to this situation, but I am certain it is a challenge for others as well as myself. I started coming on these message boards about 15 years ago. My husband whom I am now divorced from had all of the behaviors of narcissistic or bpd. Also my oldest daughter was borderline and had become a runaway and an alcoholic. Fast forward 15 years - an excruciating Journey with lots of difficult choices. My ex is remarried. All four kids are as stable as I believe possible. The weirdest thing? They are now disrespectful and somewhat alienated in their relationship towards me. The father who was never there for them and inflicted great damage now demands that they spend every Christmas with him, and they comply. I work hard to maintain a supportive, loving relationship towards each of my children, but it feels as if they now treat me the way their father did. Anyone else experience this? It is a painful and lonely road.
Pook075
Ambassador

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: Married but Separated

« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2023, 03:14:07 PM »

I'm not sure where to post this. I don't see any message boards specific to this situation, but I am certain it is a challenge for others as well as myself. I started coming on these message boards about 15 years ago. My husband whom I am now divorced from had all of the behaviors of narcissistic or bpd. Also my oldest daughter was borderline and had become a runaway and an alcoholic. Fast forward 15 years - an excruciating Journey with lots of difficult choices. My ex is remarried. All four kids are as stable as I believe possible. The weirdest thing? They are now disrespectful and somewhat alienated in their relationship towards me. The father who was never there for them and inflicted great damage now demands that they spend every Christmas with him, and they comply. I work hard to maintain a supportive, loving relationship towards each of my children, but it feels as if they now treat me the way their father did. Anyone else experience this? It is a painful and lonely road.

My BPD wife and I split almost six months ago, and both of our young adult kids we're 100% on my side.  Fast forward to today, and she demands all of their time (when she wants it) while insisting that I'm an evil monster that they should have nothing to do with.

Somehow they were 100% on my side when she left, they know she was completely wrong, yet they still run to her and obey her at every turn.  I have a 6 month old grandson I've seen maybe 8 times total, while I see weekly pictures of my wife's secret boyfriend holding the baby on Facebook. 

It literally boils my blood but there's nothing I can really do about it; not going to bad-mouth my wife to the kids and engage in any of the negativity.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest