Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 19, 2024, 09:14:52 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Depression = 72% of members
Take the test, read about the implications, and check out the remedies.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Good chat with my T this morning  (Read 385 times)
WalkbyFaith

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent

« on: February 07, 2023, 02:41:09 PM »

I am feeling an odd combination of sad and hopeful after seeing my therapist this morning. Told her about the exchange with my sister over the weekend (see my previous thread).

I was able to identify that I feel like that exchange was a bit of a milestone. After almost a year of NC, to be thrown back into it again and find the same drama and lies that were there before, still prevalent... seeing that nothing has changed in a year... feeling the shift in my body (stress) when in contact again... it was confirmation to me that it's not yet time to re-enter or work on those relationships. They are not ready, and maybe I'm not either. I feel that confirmation that NC was and is still the right decision, and that I need to continue on the path of my healing. Getting stronger for the next time they approach me.

My T reminded me that in our last session we had talked about my confidence -- in who I am and what I do -- and becoming more comfortable in my own skin. She encouraged me to keep working on this as part of my healing.

She also made the statement that "being strong doesn't mean you won't feel shaken."  Meaning that I still love and care about my family, and so of course I will always be emotionally moved in some way if/when they reach out to me, whether kind or cruel. So, "getting stronger" which I named as a goal, she reminded me, doesn't mean becoming hard-hearted or emotionally cold. It means when I do have contact with them next, even if it shakes me emotionally, I will be able to stand confident in who I am and knowing my "why."

So I feel peace and hope after this session, despite the difficult weekend talking with my sister. Just wanted to share in case anyone else needed to hear this.
Riv3rW0lf

What is your sexual orientation: Confidential
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent
Relationship status: Estranged; Complicated

« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2023, 05:43:10 PM »

She also made the statement that "being strong doesn't mean you won't feel shaken."  Meaning that I still love and care about my family, and so of course I will always be emotionally moved in some way if/when they reach out to me, whether kind or cruel. So, "getting stronger" which I named as a goal, she reminded me, doesn't mean becoming hard-hearted or emotionally cold. It means when I do have contact with them next, even if it shakes me emotionally, I will be able to stand confident in who I am and knowing my "why."

Thank your for sharing WBF. So much wisdom in there, and I can certainly use it now. Confidence is also what I am working on these days. Desensitization. Going out there. Not easy, but seems to get easier over time.  Virtual hug (click to insert in post)
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest