Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 19, 2024, 10:49:03 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
How would a child understand?
Shame, a Powerful, Painful and Potentially Dangerous Emotion
Was Part of Your Childhood Deprived by Emotional Incest?
Have Your Parents Put You at Risk for Psychopathology
Resentment: Maybe She Was Doing the...
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Emotionally abused FIL  (Read 497 times)
pulauti

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Inlaw

« on: April 24, 2023, 08:36:13 AM »

MIL is a witch suffering from uBPD. She is 68 now, her husband of 40+ years is 73. He is a classic fisherman. Completely avoids conflict.

They are out of town, I don't see them much. But saw them recently and the way she speaks to him is like he's a dog. It's emotional abuse. A lifetime of that has taken it's toll on him. He has aged well beyond his years, mentally and physically.

It bothers me that he does not have the courage to live his true self. That he sacrificed his life for a monster. That he was never brave enough to leave her.

MIL is emotionally abusive to my wife. I suspect there was an element of emotional abuse when she was a child as well. But my wife is the type who moves forward and does not look back. Yes, she has been to therapy, etc.

As I myself get older, and wiser I suppose, I find myself feeling negative emotions toward FIL. It means he stood idly by while his children were the victims of emotional abuse from his wife. He stepped up as a good father, often acting like a mother too. But I don't think he protected them as he should have. He claims to have his reasons, including that MIL's brothers have some power in the local community. And would be able to hire better lawyers etc

I also wonder and what age I tell my children never to put themselves in a situation like their grandfather is in. In any relationship, friendship, work, etc.

zachira
Ambassador

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Sibling

« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2023, 12:00:57 PM »

As a caring father, you are lovingly concerned about how your FIL tolerates being abused by his wife and how this example could affect your children: that your children might not know how to protect themselves from abusive relationships. I sympathize with your situation, as my father was abused by my BPD mother, and one of my relatives ongoing abuse by his wife could have killed him. The best protection your children have from having abusive relationships is you and their mother role modeling what healthy relationships looks like with many different kinds of people. It is also important to talk to your children about what healthy relationships and abusive relationships look like. The way many abusive relationships end up being so long term is that the abuser charms their way into convincing the other person that they are to be trusted and admired, then eventually suddenly starts to abuse the other person, often destroying their self esteem and ability to end the relationship, whether it be a marriage, friendship, or work situation.  
Many members on this site write about how the disordered people in their lives are so charming to outsiders, and how outsiders side with the abusers because all they have ever seen is the charm. Being extremely charming is a big red flag that this person is presenting a false persona who is abusive to the people they have the most control over. Teaching your children to have and value close connections with family and friends and to not be taken in by the false images regular people and celebrities are trying to sell of themselves either in person or on social media, is a good place to start.
How much time do your children spend around your MIL and FIL? Many members on this site do not allow their children to be left alone with a grandparent who abuses close family members. How old are your children?
« Last Edit: April 24, 2023, 12:20:42 PM by zachira » Logged

pulauti

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2023, 02:47:48 PM »

Thank you so much for your note. I agree with everything you said.

My kids are 9 and 11. They know their grandmother is crazy, but think about it more in a harmless way. Because we live in another city, we only see them a few times a year. We rarely leave them alone with her. She recently wanted to visit alone (without FIL) and my W said no. (you can imagine how that was received)

I've never seen her be physically abuse, but she is verbally extremely abusive to her H (per my original post) and my W. and then when she feels crossed by someone, to those people. With few family exceptions, every relationship she has ever had has ended due to conflict
Notwendy

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2023, 05:56:10 AM »

As I myself get older, and wiser I suppose, I find myself feeling negative emotions toward FIL. It means he stood idly by while his children were the victims of emotional abuse from his wife. He stepped up as a good father, often acting like a mother too. But I don't think he protected them as he should have. He claims to have his reasons, including that MIL's brothers have some power in the local community. And would be able to hire better lawyers etc

I also wonder and what age I tell my children never to put themselves in a situation like their grandfather is in. In any relationship, friendship, work, etc.

Wanting to protect children from these relationship dynamics is more about the patterns in your family and respect for boundaries. I think you are correct to also be concerned about your FIL's behavior however, the larger influence on your children's relationships will be the behaviors between you and your spouse. In general, unless you have very frequent contact with grandparents, the children spend most time with their own parents.

Another part is to validate their own feelings- and boundaries. If they feel uncomfortable around someone, or in a relationship - like a friendship at their age- listen to them, validate them. One experience of growing up with a BPD mother is that people have expectations of mothers and how we relate to them. Saying things like "of course your mother loves you" is confusing and invalidating when BPD mother isn't acting like she does.  

It's a fine line to walk as I want to role model respect for parents and elders in general, but one should not have to tolerate abuse. My kids are older, and are polite to her but I also support their boundaries with her.

It's our boundaries that help us to avoid abusive relationships. If your kids have emotionally healthy boundaries, and are not abused themselves, they have a better chance of not tolerating an abusive relationship. Growing up with such behavior, and being expected to tolerate it confuses them. They also can learn co-dependent and enabling behavior if this is role modeled at home as well.

I think it makes a difference to avoid such dynamics in your own home, role model that it is OK to say no, OK to not tolerate it. There's a place for talking but they learn a lot from what they observe.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2023, 06:02:02 AM by Notwendy » Logged
livednlearned
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Family other
Relationship status: Married

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2023, 01:02:12 PM »

It bothers me that he does not have the courage to live his true self. That he sacrificed his life for a monster. That he was never brave enough to leave her.

It could be that he stays because he believes he is strong enough to do so.

He may have a distorted view of himself, but it's possible that's how he perceives himself (I can handle this, I'm strong) due to an outdated survival or coping mechanism.

I grew up in a home with a disordered sibling and parents who were checked out and emotionally immature. One of the coping mechanisms I developed (that I'm able to see now with therapy) was to view myself as stronger than people around me. In adulthood I put myself in unsafe situations and became friends with difficult people and worked in toxic workplaces and married a man with BPD. I viewed myself as strong enough to endure these things.

When I went to therapy for the first time, I almost didn't return because the therapist implied I was being abused and that was so opposite of the duct taped false view holding my sense of self together.

In retrospect, I can see how a child might build a story like that to survive. Then the story continues into adulthood until it more or less collapses under the weight of fresh abuse.

My son is now 21. Several years ago he said, "I wish you protected me sooner." It's makes me emotional whenever I think of this comment because it points to both realities: I didn't protect him, and I did.

I wish I protected him sooner too.

When I wasn't protecting him, I thought I was. People like me do this by being the best parents we can with the emotional capacity we have. For me, I was able to handle my ex husband's abuse because it fit with the identity I created: I'm strong enough to take this. But I didn't have a way to process my husband's abuse of our son. That truth was harder to square. It made no sense.

I couldn't see our reality clearly because I had constructed this specific identity and knew nothing else. Admitting I was being abused meant dissolving that identity and building one from scratch, a genuinely terrifying and very painful experience. That's a very fragile place to be in when launching an exit plan, or even trying to provide genuine emotional protections in the home. Standing up to a bully is very hard when you can't just up and go.

When your FIL says he couldn't leave because of this or that reason, he's not wrong. If you spend time on the divorcing/custody board here, you'll see nightmare after nightmare about what can happen divorcing a pwBPD. The parental alienation alone is enough to break your heart. The court system is a terrible instrument when it comes to protecting kids and in many cases, especially with men trying to get custody, there are centuries of bias working against them, including the bias they may carry themselves unwittingly (e.g. children need their mother).

He is also probably crushed by shame for staying.

When I finally began to open up about my marriage, contemplating whether to stay or leave, a friend told me she would not judge me whether I stayed or left. She was just glad I trusted her enough to share. I think that's unusual. Many of us have been carrying a tremendous amount of shame around, often for decades. I have cut off relationships with friends because the shame was too crushing and it was the only way I knew how to manage those feelings.

Excerpt
I find myself feeling negative emotions toward FIL. It means he stood idly by while his children were the victims of emotional abuse from his wife. He stepped up as a good father, often acting like a mother too. But I don't think he protected them as he should have. He claims to have his reasons, including that MIL's brothers have some power in the local community. And would be able to hire better lawyers etc

That makes sense. One of his primary roles was to protect your wife, and he didn't.

Excerpt

One of the silver linings of going through a harrowing divorce from a pwBPD is learning what happens in healthy relationships. I cannot say enough about learning to properly emotionally validate your kids. You can tell them all day not to end up like their grandfather, but if they don't know how they feel, or trust those feelings, if they can't properly identify what feeling bad is like, they'll lack the real compass needed to keep themselves safe.

Knowing what genuinely feels good or safe or healthy is probably the most important foundation for making healthy decisions about who to love or trust.

There are lots of good books out there that break this type of parenting down in meaningful ways.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2023, 01:07:18 PM by livednlearned » Logged

Breathe.
pulauti

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2023, 02:59:44 PM »

thank you so much for these posts

I found one thing you wrote very interesting. how you viewed yourself stronger than others. my W has a similar outlook about herself. there is a lot of truth to it. she is capable of handling difficult situations well. she doesn't dwell on the negative and immediately shifts to problem solving. but often to a fault, where she doesn't always know what problem she's solving.

family members will sometimes remark how impressed they are how my W and her sister turned out. given the circumstances in their home.

I understand what you are saying about the costs of going through a divorce. and how these costs may have outweighed the benefits of leaving. but I think this equation changes once the children are grown up. he's had almost 20 years since the kids have been out of the house. Financial aspects may have contributed to this. he took an early retirement while his W retired late in her career
Notwendy

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2023, 06:55:31 AM »

thank you so much for these posts

family members will sometimes remark how impressed they are how my W and her sister turned out. given the circumstances in their home.

I have heard people say this. It's meant to be complimentary but it doesn't feel that way. Yes, it's good to be resilient and strong in general but ideally, kids get these qualities from a loving and secure home. We may know how to be strong, but there are other aspects of being children that we don't know what that is like. Actually, I attribute some of my resilience to the influence of other people too,  like my father's family, who loved us unconditionally.

I also attribute a lot to my father stepping in as parent in our younger years. He took on a lot of the parenting tasks with us. He didn't voluntarily discuss my mother's behavior but as teens we did ask, why didn't they get divorced? He replied that it was because she'd get custody of us. That was true at the time, it almost always went to the mother. I was grateful that he didn't let that happen. However, after we kids grew up and left home, he stayed. If we asked, he'd also say it was expensive. But I know now that he was as much a part of the dynamics as she is.

How this happened was when later, a counselor pointed out to me that my behaviors were co-dependent. I had no idea what that was because, in my family, these were the "normal" behaviors and also the ones that were expected of us. This led to more understanding of my father's role in the dynamics with my mother.

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest