Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 24, 2024, 11:41:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Skills we were never taught
A 3 Minute Lesson
on Ending Conflict
Communication Skills-
Don't Be Invalidating
Listen with Empathy -
A Powerful Life Skill
Setting Boundaries
and Setting Limits
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Looking for advice  (Read 332 times)
mrscleaver
Fewer than 3 Posts

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Child
Relationship status: Married

« on: April 12, 2023, 07:11:53 PM »

Welcome new member (click to insert in post) I could really use some advice. My 27 year old daughter was diagnosed with BPD about 4 months ago.  She continues to have extremely bad sucicidal episodes. Last week - she spiraled down so bad she quit her job & did not leave her apartment for 3 days. She is seeing a therapist & a Psychitrist. I would appreicate any ideas on how I can support her & how I can keep myself healthy as I am starting to get depressed. My mood and my outlook are awful.

thank you so much
Our objective is to better understand the struggles our child faces and to learn the skills to improve our relationship and provide a supportive environment and also improve on our own emotional responses, attitudes and effectiveness as a family leaders
InTheWilderness

« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2023, 08:47:26 AM »

Mrscleaver, I can identify. My son is newly diagnosed, and he’s been hospitalized/psych ward three times this year.

The spiraling is the hardest thing I’ve been through; wondering every night if I’ll get that phone call, if he’s going to attempt suicide causes me much anxiety. Here’s what is helping me:

1. Reading about the disorder. I have to take it in small doses and try to focus my reading on problem solving, how best to interact with my son and help him get through this. I find this resource helpful. https://www.borderlinepersonalitydisorder.org/family-connections/family-guidelines/

2. Self care. I’ve been exercising more than ever. Long walks when I can, cardio for at least 20 min (to the extent you can’t carry a conversation), and getting sufficient sleep. I’m prioritizing these things right now so that I don’t spiral with my son. When I can, I will add therapy to this list of self care.

3. Join a NAMI group where you will find family members struggling with a relative with a serious mental health disorder. It helps to not feel alone. Read posts on this site for the same reason.

I’m sorry you’re going through this. Hope my list helps.
mrscleaver
Fewer than 3 Posts

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2023, 11:28:48 AM »

Thank you so much for responding. My daughter has been in & out of facilities as well. Every time she calls & tells me she sees no reason to live I drive to her apartment straight from work and spend the night. Your ideas are great. I am going to start with walking & going to bed earlier.
Again, thank you so much for your response ♥
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest