Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
February 20, 2017, 07:18:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Moderators: DreamGirl, heartandwhole, Meili, once removed
Member support team: gotbushels, joeramabeme, rfriesen, Turkish, Woolspinner2000
  Directory Guidelines Glossary   Boards   Help Please Donate Login Register  
THE PSYCHOLOGY OF PERSONALITY DISORDERS
Pages: 1 ... 4 [5] 6  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What to look for in a therapist (qualifications, other)?  (Read 34881 times)
blackandwhite
Retired Staff

Back to my old colorful self

« Reply #40 on: November 22, 2011, 07:46:43 AM »

Another search engine resource (for the U.S.): www.findacounselor.org/. Listings are not comprehensive but the site is easy to use and information is good.

What they call you is one thing.
What you answer to is something else.
                           --Lucille Clifton

blackandwhite
Retired Staff

Back to my old colorful self

« Reply #41 on: November 22, 2011, 07:53:36 AM »

DBT Self Help has announced it is partnering with another group to provide a comprehensive list of DBT therapists (still pending as of the time of this post but apparently coming soon):

A Worldwide DBT Database will be available for anyone who is looking for a DBT therapist or group in their area. This database will be provided in partnership with GoodTherapy.org. The actual database and search engine will be available on this website. DBT therapists and Centers offering DBT groups will find a coupon for 2 months free listing which they can use to sign up via GoodTherapy.org.

GoodTherapy.org has a searachable database that includes "dialectical behavioral therapy" (as well as "schema therapy" and other relevant therapy types for our members) under "Type of Therapy." Database is international, though I cannot speak to how comprehensive the listings are.

What they call you is one thing.
What you answer to is something else.
                           --Lucille Clifton
tcevans78

« Reply #42 on: May 23, 2012, 07:20:40 PM »

Hi,

I'm not sure if this is appropriate here on this board - or site in general.  Please move -or even delete I suppose- if necessary.  

I am relocating to the St Louis area and am terrified I will not find a good therapist there.  Can anyone recommend someone who has BPD experience?  

Thank you!  
Want2know
Retired Staff

« Reply #43 on: May 23, 2012, 09:50:54 PM »

You can start by taking a look at the Resources and Download tab on the Home page.

https://bpdfamily.com/discussions/family-resources.htm

Let us know if that helps.

“The path to heaven doesn't lie down in flat miles. It's in the imagination with which you perceive this world, and the gestures with which you honor it." ~ Mary Oliver

JimNelson89

« Reply #44 on: June 02, 2012, 07:34:51 PM »

This might be a good source for help or recommendations in your area:

www.emp-dbt.com/index.htm

I am also looking for a therapist that does DBT.  I live in Southern California.  Are there resources for finding a qualified person.

She wants to emotionally 'devour' me but I dared say no
She wishes to hold me in contempt and claim she loves me
GreenMango
Retired Staff

« Reply #45 on: June 03, 2012, 01:35:09 AM »

This might be a good source for help or recommendations in your area:

www.emp-dbt.com/index.htm

I am also looking for a therapist that does DBT.  I live in Southern California.  Are there resources for finding a qualified person.

Jim,

Have you checked out any of these sites for referrals?

It isn't always easy to find a provider, so here are some places to look:

Psychology Today has a good therapist look up: www.therapists.psychologytoday.com/rms/prof_search.php

Insurance companies often have lists of providers, with specialties and profiles listed, that you can access online (if you are a member of that insurance group).

DBT Self Help has announced it is partnering with another group to provide a comprehensive list of DBT therapists (still pending as of the time of this post but apparently coming soon):

A Worldwide DBT Database will be available for anyone who is looking for a DBT therapist or group in their area. This database will be provided in partnership with GoodTherapy.org. The actual database and search engine will be available on this website. DBT therapists and Centers offering DBT groups will find a coupon for 2 months free listing which they can use to sign up via GoodTherapy.org.

The current list of resources (soon to be replaced) is here: www.dbtselfhelp.com/html/resources.html

Your local NAMI affiliate may have resources for referrals.

-GM

JimNelson89

« Reply #46 on: June 04, 2012, 03:06:12 PM »

Thank you GreenMango

But how do I get the search to only look for people who offer DBT?

She wants to emotionally 'devour' me but I dared say no
She wishes to hold me in contempt and claim she loves me
GreenMango
Retired Staff

« Reply #47 on: June 05, 2012, 12:10:44 AM »

Thank you GreenMango

But how do I get the search to only look for people who offer DBT?

JimNelson

It's going to take some legwork on your end.  To my knowledge there is not a BPD/DBT specialty referrals website for clinicians (If anyone knows of one please let the staff here know)

If you go into the either the Psychology Today link www.therapists.psychologytoday.com/rms/prof_search.php

you need to select "borderline personality disorder" under the issues menu.  It does not have a DBT specific option.  But therapists who have "experience" with BPD come up.  Some use DBT, some don't.  You need to check their individual profiles for a DBT specialty.

Through the dbt-self help link to www.goodtherapy.org under the advanced search options you can select both your region and type of therapy dialectical behaviorial therapy.  You will need to check if they are experienced with people with BPD.

Now both of these will pop up a variety of clinicians with varying degrees of experience, education, and philosophies.  It is important to ask questions and interview the potential therapists.

This post from page one of this thread may be helpful as a starting point:

Maybe this could be made a sticky in case others ask :

From BPD Demystified , Robert O. Friedel, MD -

"John Gunderson described well the responsibilities of the primary clinician"

- Educate the patient about the nature and causes of Borderline Disorder

- Ensure that all appropriate evaluations are performed in order to determine the patients specific needs

- Develop with the patient a comprehensive treatment plan that best meets these needs

- Ensure the plan is implemented

- Routinely determine the patients safety and progress in treatment

- Implement changes in the treatment plan when indicated  

- Ensure communication among other therapists, if any , who are involved in the patient's treatment

And from Stop Walking on Eggshells by Randi Kreger and Paul T. Mason, MS  -

Asking the clinician questions designed to evaluate the persons competence at treating patients with BPD -

1. Do you treat people with BPD? If so how many have you treated? Watch the therapist's body language and tone of voice to determine their attitude about BPD clients. We suggest you avoid therapist's who do not hav a lot of experience with borderline problems.

2. How do you define BPD? If the therapist knows less than you do keep looking. If the therapist thinks BPD is part of another disorder that you do not have, move on.  ( for example they may believe that BPD is really a form of Post-Traumatic-Stress-Disorder, yet you have no history of trauma.)

3. What do you believe causes BPD? If you are a non-abusive parent of a BP and the therapist believes all BPD is caused by parental abuse, we urge you to find a more compatible therapist. Also if the clinician does not mention possible biological causes, they are probably not up to date on the latest research.

4. What is your treatment plan for clients with BPD? Look for someone who can give you a clear overview of the treatment they provide, but who also says that treatment is modified for each individual. Therapist's who do not have a treatment plan tend to be diverted by BP's crises and never seem to get around to addressing long-standing issues.

5. Do you provide a specific treatment for self-injury? Substance abuse? Eating disorders? Loved ones of those with BPD? Substitute or add your own concerns here.

6. Do you believe that borderlines can get better? If so have you personally treated BP's who improved? According to Santoro and Cohen (1997), " what you want to hear is reasonable optimisim. No one can give you a guarantee( if they do, skip them). If they hedge their bets too much, it is probably better to move on to someone else." Make sure that you and the therapist share the same goals.

7. What are your views on medications? If the therapist is not a psychiatrist , ask who would prescribe them, if any are needed.

Hope this helps others. I am going to give this to my dBPDF if she doesn't have me go with her.

-GM

PaGuy

« Reply #48 on: December 21, 2012, 06:44:13 AM »

I tried searching and didn't find anything...

I am starting to look for a therapist to help me get rid of my  PD traits  PD traits, and I would like some guidance.  I would prefer someone with experience with helping adult children of a uBPDm, but I also want to make sure the person can actually help and not just look good on paper.

What questions have you found helpful/did you wish you asked a therapist before you started therapy with him/her? What qualities did you appreciate in a therapist that help you deal with your  PD traits  PD traits?  Thanks for your help!
GreenMango
Retired Staff

« Reply #49 on: March 01, 2013, 11:15:55 PM »

Looking for a therapist when you have a parent with BPD could involve narrowing your search for therapists that were familiar with PDs.  Then calling the therapist's office and asking the therapist some questions about their focus, therapy style, years as a therapist, etc.

Links and Information
CLINICAL INFORMATION
The Big Picture
5 Dimensions of Personality
BPD? How can I know?
Get Someone into Therapy
Treatment of BPD
Full Clinical Definition
Top 50 Questions

EDITORIAL DEPARTMENTS
My Child has BPD
My Parent/Sibling has BPD